User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Jan 2004, 01:10   #1
spunkie munkie
idiot

spunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of light
Question java

when trying to compile i keep getting errors saying listlistener and buttonlistener aren't abstract. and i dont have a clue how to fix it as ive not played with java much before and never come across this erroe before
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 01:44   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: java

If your class is inheriting from an abstract class, you have to override all the methods declared abstract in the parent class before you can instantiate it.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 02:25   #3
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I'm curious as to why you're evening using ButtonListeners and ListListeners if you've never used Java before (as an aside, check your capitalisation- and if you want to listen for clicks of a button, its an ActionListener you need....), but otherwse what nodrog said
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 12:07   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkie munkie
when trying to compile i keep getting errors saying listlistener and buttonlistener aren't abstract. and i dont have a clue how to fix it as ive not played with java much before and never come across this erroe before
you need to start reading books, sound like you're jumping into the deep end
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 12:52   #5
spunkie munkie
idiot

spunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of lightspunkie munkie is a glorious beacon of light

yeah well i should of probably payed more attention in lectures and the books i have arnt much use
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 13:16   #6
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Well it's either that:
a) you've overidden methods you weren't suppose to.
b) you hadn't overridden some methods you were suppose too.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 13:33   #7
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

search for 'thinking in java' by Bruce Eckel. its a pdf-book and i pretty much liked it, covers all the important basics of java.
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 16:04   #8
spunkie munkie
idiot

that book a help
but it still hasn't given me a clue as to go about makeing the listeners abstract
spunkie munkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 18:27   #9
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkie munkie
that book a help
but it still hasn't given me a clue as to go about makeing the listeners abstract
Any class containing an abstract method is abstract, as in any class which inherits from an abstract class without overriding all its abstract methods. An abstract method is one which is declared (using the abstract keyword) but not defined - its up to the inheriting classes to actually define what the method is meant to do, by overriding it.

Also, what SYMM said. Surely you should be using an ActionListener for your buttons, and an ItemListener (or whatever theyre called, I havent done java for ages) for your lists?

edit: ButtonListeners and ListListeners arent defined in the 1.4.2 spec. Are these some homemade classes your professor wants to use or something?

edit2: actually, are buttonlistener and listlistener the names of your classes, or objects?

Last edited by Nodrog; 28 Jan 2004 at 18:34.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 18:37   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
edit2: actually, are buttonlistener and listlistener the names of your classes, or objects?
inherited actionlistener classes at a guess.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 19:21   #11
spunkie munkie
idiot

erm

private class ListListener impements ActionListener

the full codes at http://root.djdemocracy.com/Jukebox.java if that would help
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 19:34   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You spelt 'actionPerformed' incorrectly on the ButtonListener:

Code:
private class ButtonListener implements ActionListener
{
	public void ctionPerformed (ActionEvent event)
	{
becomes

Code:
private class ButtonListener implements ActionListener
{
	public void actionPerformed (ActionEvent event)
	{
Don't know if it'll fix it but it's a start.
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 19:47   #13
spunkie munkie
idiot

id already fixed that one to no avail

really should of started work on this with more the two days till the deadline
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 20:20   #14
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

if you change "actionPerfomed" to "actionPerformed" it seems to work for me...
Unread 28 Jan 2004, 22:02   #15
spunkie munkie
idiot

sorted

ta muchly

do you reckon its a good idea to give these forums a mention in the bibleography?

Last edited by spunkie munkie; 28 Jan 2004 at 22:32.
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 00:12   #16
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

no, as you cant quote non-specific authors.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 15:11   #17
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
no, as you cant quote non-specific authors.
You certainly can, this is a web resource....

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote