User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 30 Dec 2006, 09:00   #1
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
Saddams death, tragedy or great victory?

So they finally hung him. I cant say im sorry he's dead, but I kind of feel that his execution was unnessecary and will only lead to more violence in Iraq.

They say that killing saddam was needed to revenge the 3000 dead US soldiers, while he infact got executed for executing people who tried a coup d'etat against him back in 83.

I wonder, the people who loved and supported his regim, do you really think that with him being dead theese guys are gonna just sit down and say: Okay, he's dead, lets stop fighting now.

Saddams death was just another martyr for a people who we continiusly fail to understand.

Views?
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 09:59   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Saddams death, tragedy or great victory?

I'm not going to shed tears for someone like that, no.

I don't really buy the martyr angle. The people who seem to have supported him (or who still support him in a sense, in the insurgency), are the better off Sunni's who did OK out of Saddam's regime. Obviously these things are not simple, but the Ba'ath party was much more like Mussolini's fascists (without some of the baggage maybe) than it was like Al-Qaeda. The people who are in the militia's (it's not even clear to me whether all of these people are insurgents or part of an anti-US resistance, since a good portion of their violence is direct at Shia) from that camp seem much more about defending their interests.

There has been talk about the American's changing the focus of their efforts much towards the Shia. At the same time, it's alleged the anti-Ba'ath policies of the new government (apparently any ex-member of the party cannot hold certain positions in the new system) will be quietly dropped.

Anyway, so on the whole it's not like Saddam is going to have had much religious support as far as I can see. They're the types who like to go in for that sort of martyr angle, someone fighting to ensure they don't get overrun by their neighbours ethnic group, or so that they can remain in the top 30% income / status wise....well, that doesn't seem to gel very well with the notion of "martyrdom" (I could be widely wrong here).

The trial was a bit of a joke and for that reason they shouldn't have killed him. But in principle, I've got no problem with it, as long as it's as painless as possible.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 10:54   #3
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Saddam`s death, is just another death.......

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.

Last edited by pyirt; 30 Dec 2006 at 21:15.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 11:15   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is this on YouTube yet btw?
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 11:42   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wouldn't say Saddam's death will actually lead to more violence in Iraq. The fact that people are still being executed for crimes committed under the previous state is indicative of the fact that the country has not yet fully recovered though. In general the people fighting the American occupation have far more down-to-earth complaints than "gee wasn't saddam great compared to these guys we've got now". However I'm sure someone will do him them the respect of martyring themselves in his great name!
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 12:31   #6
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

I think that the execution will give those who have suffered at his hands (either directly or through relatives) a sense of justice.
I don't think that it will cause any more violence in Iraq as it was fairly clear from the minute that he was captured that he would either be executed or imprisoned for the rest of his life, both of them cause the same effect on his supporters
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 12:40   #7
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The absurdity of the trial and the speed of his execution mean that there was no closure. And what was needed more than anything else to come from this was closure. Instead the Sunnis will be angrier and the Kurds aren't much happier, and the short and long-term legitimacy of the new government has been donkey punched even further into the floor by the Republican need to have results before campaigning starts.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 13:06   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNFvLu-pK0
Not the hanging itself though, just how he gets the rope around his neck.
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 13:14   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
I think that the execution will give those who have suffered at his hands (either directly or through relatives) a sense of justice.
I disagree with that. Saddam has been executed for the mass-murder in Dujail in 1982. He has not been convicted for the countless other incidents. So in essence it has not been acknowledged that he was also responsible for other murders. In that sense it might not bring closure for the relatives of the victims of other incidents under his regime.

I therefore also disagree with the execution of Saddam at this moment. I think it would have been better if they continued with the trails and also had him convicted for the other crimes he committed.

I'm also particularly curious what this does to the stability in Iraq.
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 13:21   #10
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
I disagree with that. Saddam has been executed for the mass-murder in Dujail in 1982. He has not been convicted for the countless other incidents. So in essence it has not been acknowledged that he was also responsible for other murders. In that sense it might not bring closure for the relatives of the victims of other incidents under his regime.
There really was no real point in pressing charges for all the other cases when the outcome would be the same whether or not he was convicted of them.
He wasn't charged with the killing of my aunt or my uncles, yet my dad and his brothers/sisters feel that justice has been done. They knew that he was guilty, there was just no real point in wasting time by putting him on trial for all the other offences when the punishment remained the same.
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 13:28   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
There really was no real point in pressing charges for all the other cases when the outcome would be the same whether or not he was convicted of them.
He wasn't charged with the killing of my aunt or my uncles, yet my dad and his brothers/sisters feel that justice has been done. They knew that he was guilty, there was just no real point in wasting time by putting him on trial for all the other offences when the punishment remained the same.
Well, in my opinion "knowing something for myself" and having it "acknowledged by others/the world" gives me an entirely different feeling about something.
But ofcourse, I'm not affected by his death.
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 13:36   #12
_Kila_
break it down!

I agree with you there, but it has been acknowledged by the prosecution taht he was responsible for countless other crimes, it would just have been a waste of time to get him tried for them all.
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 13:49   #13
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Neither.

Just another one to add to the list of pointless cock-ups we've achieved in Iraq.
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 16:06   #14
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm not going to shed tears for someone like that, no.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 16:07   #15
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

i'm not sure if this is how it works in the UK, but in the US, friday night is when you do things that you want ignored by the news. the news cycle runs monday to friday, and by the time monday rolls around, stuff that happens friday night is old news and is basically never reported.

couple that with NFL Week 17 football on sunday, college football bowl games, all the new years bullshit, and the inevitable endless reams of Gerald Ford file footage, and we had a major astronomical alignment of stars for everyone on earth to do absolutely anything and have it completely forgotten about two days later. wanted to "borrow" the mona lisa*? well, you had your chance.

that this was done for purely political reasons goes without saying. obviously 'The White House declined to comment on the timing.
"That is a matter for the Iraqi people, we are observers to that process. They are a sovereign government and they will make their own decisions regarding carrying out justice," spokesman Scott Stanzel said in Crawford, Texas.' (Reuters), but 'The time was agreed upon during a meeting Friday between U.S. and Iraqi officials, said the adviser, who declined to be quoted by name because he was not authorized to speak to the media.' (AP).

but it doesn't matter. while it's mildly interesting that the white house believes it's political interests are served by this matter disappearing down the memory hole, more relevant is what effect this will have in iraq.

and partly i'm in agreement with dante. the 'martyry' people won't care about this. in addition, it's hard to imagine that much more violence in iraq than what is already going on.

as to the wrongness of killing saddam, during the night last night somewhere between fifty and perhaps a few hundred iraqis were dragged from their homes, tortured, mutilated, and shot. saddam won't make me lose any sleep. tbh, the others aren't making me lose any sleep either, but that might be because i'm an asshole.

*honest to god, the first analogy i came up with was "if you ever wanted to assassinate a major world leader without anyone noticing, that was your chance". then i noticed that it was, in fact, probably inappropriate here. or too appropriate.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 16:47   #16
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

so did they actually show it on CNN as i expected?
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 17:55   #17
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Saddams death, tragedy or great victory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity

I therefore also disagree with the execution of Saddam at this moment. I think it would have been better if they continued with the trails and also had him convicted for the other crimes he committed.
Apparently, Iraqi law prohibits the execution of anyone over the age of 70 (Saddam would have turned 70 in April of 2007), so additional trials would have made it impossible to execute him (absent a change in the law, ofc). Also, given his age, it seems unlikely he would have lived long enough to be tried for all of the "countless other incidents" with which he could/should have been charged. He likely would have ended up dying of natural causes before all the trials were completed and any sentence could have been carried out (see also, Milosevic). At least this way some justice was done (sic semper tyrannis).

There's no reason why the Iraqis can't have some sort of Commission to try to document all the crimes of Saddam and his regime. They don't really need Saddam for that (it's not like he was cooperating or anything).
Quote:
I'm also particularly curious what this does to the stability in Iraq.
A few die-hard Baathists may be demoralized, but I doubt it does much for stability one way or the other. I think it had other benefits though.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 19:58   #18
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

I fear that in some quarters he may become a martyr, but even if he died in jail .. that was going to happen.

The mans regime was responsible for genocide, he was the leader of that regime, that makes the buck stop at him, wether the US went in for alterior motives or not, i wont argue that point, his crimes against humanity should have lead to his death after the first war, many more innocent people are dead now because he stayed in power.

I'm not entirely convinced that death sentances are a form of justice for all henious crimes, but in this one of the times i really think an evil SOB got what he deserved.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 20:38   #19
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I for one am glad that they hung him as quick as he did after trial, aside from guilt, or personal opinion. I'm just glad that it's finally over with and after a few days of hearing about his execution we can get on with it and not have to hear about him anymore, his 'outburst' in court, and all the terrible things he did. That's the real closure, knowing he's finally dead and buried and that people can finally get past it and stop having to hear about him once or twice a week (at least that's my humble opinion, I don't expect many to agree).
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 21:25   #20
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I`m an expert; but it looked to me on the youtube video that Saddam was getting "quite a bit" of rope there? I hope the hangmen did n`t over do it re: losing one`s head.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 00:30   #21
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

having read the comments on you tube, sad that a few think he didnt murder anyone :-(
so far the general consensus is that it was a positive thing, this being GD, someone must have another opinion, if no-one here does then it must be a first.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 00:53   #22
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith
The mans regime was responsible for genocide
The man was a militant facist, pretty much like legions of others in for example the history of Europe. Dozens of men have been responsible for genocide (on the level you're refering to it). Malleus Maleficarum, the crusades, the fate of the South American indians. The history of man is written in blood, and Saddam is really no exception to the rule. The question comes,

Quote:
I'm not entirely convinced that death sentances are a form of justice for all henious crimes, but in this one of the times i really think an evil SOB got what he deserved.
Whether anyone deserves to be sentenced to death for the crimes they've commited, and where to draw the line. In my opinion, it doesn't solve anything, definately not - killing anyone as a retribution for their crimes doesn't make the crimes undone, and I really doubt it makes anyone feel better. Few of the deeds mentioned, overall, concepts such as "White man's burden" and "Malleus maleficarum" represent well the ideal of which you described as "evil". Anyone who has read the Bible knows, how evil must be purged amongst us.

And a public butchery is really even less useful. It's a thrive on hate and revenge. If Saddam had to be killed, why not just shoot him in the head in some basement or throw in an injection, why hang him in public with, uhm, him being in the receiving end of "lots of rope"? Political murders for the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddam Hussein (from bbc.co.uk news)
"This is my end... this is the end of my life. But I started my life as a fighter and as a political militant - so death does not frighten me."
Obviously, Saddam wasn't very concerned, and I really believe butchering him in public mainly makes people feel sympathic towards him, instead of the original goal which probably was to serve as some kind of a trophy of victory over his era. I suppose there'll now be a calm before the storm. Regardless, one and same. A Saddam is dead now, Hitler and Stalin died earlier last century, and another "evil sob" dictator will come and next one they'll probably want to put on a stake in front of his office to show victory over "evil". Oh, and if it wasn't clear, perhaps Saddam's reign ending is considered a great victory, but the way he was "vindicated" (oh well, how would you say it - punished, revenged) is a tragedy at large and shows how we still aren't any better than... Uhm?
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 01:06   #23
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

man's in humanity to man is a cycle which must be broken not reinforced.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 01:32   #24
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

the death itself is pretty much irrelevent. An inevitable result.
What the tragedy is, is that the trial was allowed to decend into farce.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 01:39   #25
_Kila_
break it down!

Strangely, while watching the video again, I feel a little sympathy for the man, despite the fact that I despise the man, I felt sorry for him. Seeing him being lead to the rope, his lack of resistance and the look on his face just seemed very saddening, it makes me feel that the death sentence is unjust. There are, however, pros to the death sentence like the fact that they act as a deterrent (not for the likes of Saddam, but it deters people from committing crimes like murder etc.) and the fact that if we had the death sentence here in England, less of the taxpayers's money be spent on feeding convicts and letting them play PS2, and more would be spent on things like the NHS which are in dire need of improvement.
I'm not actually sure what to think of it.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 01:45   #26
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
and the fact that if we had the death sentence here in England, less of the taxpayers's money be spent on feeding convicts and letting them play PS2
There are speculations in US whether it costs more to get a guy executed (the bureaucratic process, and whatever is related to torching them on a chair or with an injection), or whether it'd actually get cheaper just to let them rot. In case it'd get cheaper to kill them off, I agree, it'd be for greater good.

Even if it'd be something rather inhumane, to issue death sentences purely based on economic profits.

Which is, why I'd prefer forced labour.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 01:46   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
There are, however, pros to the death sentence like the fact that they act as a deterrent (not for the likes of Saddam, but it deters people from committing crimes like murder etc.)
Source please.

Quote:
and the fact that if we had the death sentence here in England, less of the taxpayers's money be spent on feeding convicts and letting them play PS2, and more would be spent on things like the NHS which are in dire need of improvement.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it more expensive in America to kill a man than to imprison one for life?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 02:02   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
and the fact that if we had the death sentence here in England, less of the taxpayers's money be spent on feeding convicts and letting them play PS2, and more would be spent on things like the NHS which are in dire need of improvement.
There are something like 80,000 prisoners in UK jails.

How many of them are you planning on executing where you'd be saving a lot of money?

Hint : Iran (currently world #2 in world rankings) only carries out about 95 a year.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 02:33   #29
_Kila_
break it down!

There are approximately 5000 people in jail for life at the moment (I'm not sure of the source, but it was 4801 or so), if 1/5 of the people who are in for life are executed, a considerable sum is saved for other uses such as the NHS.
Before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick, I am not proposing that we execute 1000 people a year, as we don't get 5000 people sentenced to life each year (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Source please.
Admittedly, I have no source. I was merely attempting to use logic - knowing that I would be killed if I murdered someone puts me off it more than being imprisoned, especially with the current prison system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it more expensive in America to kill a man than to imprison one for life?
I don't have a great deal of information on this, it must be the beaurocratic processes mentioned by Keizari - I am not exactly sure which processes need to be undergone and how they differ to the sentencing of a person to life, but execution instead.

once again, I find myself arguing for the death penalty when I'm not actually for it
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 02:38   #30
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
There are, however, pros to the death sentence like the fact that they act as a deterrent (not for the likes of Saddam, but it deters people from committing crimes like murder etc.) and the fact that if we had the death sentence here in England, less of the taxpayers's money be spent on feeding convicts and letting them play PS2, and more would be spent on things like the NHS which are in dire need of improvement.
I'm not actually sure what to think of it.
Question: If you knew that you could get convicted to the death sentance if you got caught for a murder, would you be able to kill to keep your first murder secret?
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 02:58   #31
_Kila_
break it down!

I would be in the same position as I would be if the punishment were a life sentence.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:08   #32
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

They should've waited until the situation in Iraq stabilized a bit
then atleast his death could've had some symbolic meaning

I don't think the once who suffered at his hand feel satisfied after this speed trial in the middle of all the chaos
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:12   #33
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
They should've waited until the situation in Iraq stabilized a bit
then atleast his death could've had some symbolic meaning

I don't think the once who suffered at his hand feel satisfied after this speed trial in the middle of all the chaos
they probably had a chat and decided that he wouldn't live to be 130 and that hanging a corpse, whilst symbolic, would be rather pointless.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:12   #34
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
There are approximately 5000 people in jail for life at the moment (I'm not sure of the source, but it was 4801 or so), if 1/5 of the people who are in for life are executed, a considerable sum is saved for other uses such as the NHS.
The moral system which includes supporting an NHS naturally requires opposition to the death penalty.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:13   #35
_Kila_
break it down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
You are saying that you've considered murdering someone and thought life in prison would be worth it, but if they changed it to the death penalty that would make it a whole different kettle of fish?
I personally haven't, but I'm sure that others have, simply because prison is nowhere near as bad as being executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I like your plan about executing people to raise money for the NHS. The old, if we execute people, then we can save more lives argument is genius.
Yeah, making people live in prison for 25 years, in which time quite a few die, and others would not be able to cope with real life after being out of prison while not improving the NHS and leaving victims of crime to rot is a far better route to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
The moral system which includes supporting an NHS naturally requires opposition to the death penalty.
The NHS was just an example of a productive way to use the money.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:16   #36
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I personally haven't, but I'm sure that others have, simply because prison is nowhere near as bad as being executed.

Yeah, making people live in prison for 25 years, in which time quite a few die, and others would not be able to cope with real life after being out of prison while not improving the NHS and leaving victims of crime to rot is a far better route to take.

The NHS was just an example of a productive way to use the money.
Prisons don't work so let's kill people instead. Maybe there's some other way to change the system?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:18   #37
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
they probably had a chat and decided that he wouldn't live to be 130 and that hanging a corpse, whilst symbolic, would be rather pointless.
Why not, they've hit his statue with shoes and drove around with statues behind cars while shooting with AK's in the air
I don't think hanging a corpse would be so much different
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:18   #38
_Kila_
break it down!

There always is, but at the moment, one of the pros of the death penalty is the fact that it can potentially save money which can be invested elsewhere
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:21   #39
All Systems Go

Quote:
There always is, but at the moment, one of the pros of the death penalty is the fact that it can potentially save money which can be invested elsewhere
there's a thread here somewhere (possibly by Nod) which has a link to an artice regarding the death penalty and cost in the USA. I usggest you find it, examine it and then come back to this thread.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:23   #40
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
1) there's no evidence for that.
2) Even if if we sold all of our girl children to thailand's sex industry it meant that all of our boy children could recieve the best education in the world it would probably still be morally wrong to sell our girl children to thailand
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:24   #41
_Kila_
break it down!

the point has been raised a few times in this thread, and while I agree that it probably is more expensive at the moment, there are probably ways for the cost to be streamlined, hence my use of the word "potentially"
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:26   #42
All Systems Go

Quote:
the point has been raised a few times in this thread, and while I agree that it probably is more expensive at the moment, there are probably ways for the cost to be streamlined, hence my use of the word "potentially"
Give every cop a gun?
this is surely the last area you would want to cut corners. A man spending 10 years in jail for a crime he didn't commit is pretty bad, but it's better than being killed.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:29   #43
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
it doesn't cost very much to murder any human being.

YOU ARE AVOIDING THE POINT
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:40   #44
_Kila_
break it down!

Quote:
it doesn't cost very much to murder any human being.

YOU ARE AVOIDING THE POINT
My last post was in response to ASG

Quote:
1) there's no evidence for that.
2) Even if if we sold all of our girl children to thailand's sex industry it meant that all of our boy children could recieve the best education in the world it would probably still be morally wrong to sell our girl children to thailand
I agree. The death sentence is immoral and as I have already stated, I am not for it. I am merely stating that the death penalty can potentially save taxpayers's money.
Also, your example is wrong as you have included no example of the girls breaking the law, whereas those sentenced to death have broken the law.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 03:58   #45
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Also, your example is wrong as you have included no example of the girls breaking the law, whereas those sentenced to death have broken the law.
parliament can pass a law making it illegal to be a girl.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 05:49   #46
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahwe
man's in humanity to man is a cycle which must be broken not reinforced.
qft

Quote:
so far the general consensus is that it was a positive thing, this being GD, someone must have another opinion, if no-one here does then it must be a first.

Positive in what sense? As far as im aware this hasn't made a big difference to the life of iraqis, the rule of saddam hussein was bad, once his power to rule was taken away im not sure what apart from a blood lust his death achieved.

Incidently the whole media scrum over his execution and video was unsettling, as soon as i saw the camera flashes in the official video i had an inkling someone with a mobile phone was probably present, the entire video has been leaked to the internet.

Fox news links to it on its front page.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 14:47   #47
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/browse?s=mp

Out of 20 videos on the first page, one is about some person on crack, another is about what would you do with 15 seconds left to live, the rest are saddam hanging.

The second page is much the same
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 14:55   #48
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Unfortunately they're all fakes, and most of the comments make you wish you could stab people over the internet.
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 17:48   #49
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
Unfortunately they're all fakes, and most of the comments make you wish you could stab people over the internet.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...34279766935521
Unread 31 Dec 2006, 19:35   #50
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Sad footnote.