User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 May 2007, 15:16   #1
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
England Cricket Team

So the squad for the next game is:

Michael Vaughan (Yorkshire, captain),
Andrew Strauss (Middlesex).
Ian Bell (Warwickshire),
Paul Collingwood (Durham),
Alastair Cook (Essex),
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire),
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire),
Matt Prior (Sussex),
James Anderson (Lancashire),
Steve Harmison (Durham),
Monty Panesar (Northants),
Liam Plunkett (Durham),
Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire),

No surprise to see Shah dropped after the last test, and it seems pretty obvious that Vaughan will just be a straight swap for him.

However, what would other people do about Flintoff?
His ankle seems a bit too dodgy to put much reliance on him as a bowler, while his batting form in recent times has been abymsal, not a patch on those who are already in the team. It would seem immensely unfair to drop Cook/Bell/Collingwood for him. Other than that the batting lineup to me actually seems quite strong.

For wicket keeper, I would have stuck with Reed. He was crap in the odi over in Australia but then so were most of the rest of the team. He did quite well against Pakistan and in the tests against the Aussies. After the other day though Prior has probably done enough to keept he jersey for a while and all the changing wasn't really particularly useful anyway so he should keep it for now.

The bowling however...
Harmison it seems is still bowling shockingly at test level (I can't find it now but on one of the BBC commentaries it showed Harmison's career split into 10 test sections, and other than 2004 his average and number of wickets taken is actually extremely ordinary)
Hoggard, Broad, and Lewis are all injured while Jones isn't fit.
While Mahmood/Plunkett/Anderson are all too inconsistent to be considered international standard yet.

So I'm going to take the easy option and say I don't really know who I would play at the moment. The ones I would are all injured and I don't follow enough county cricket to know who is good or not, though David Harrison at Glamorgan has looked quite good in a shit team over recent years.

The interesting part for me will be though when Trescothick returns. His form for Somerset this year has been really good, and in one day cricket especially he provides a much more attacking option to open with. Stick to test matches though, personally I would drop Vaughan (his form his just way too bad to justify his place at the moment, no matter how good his captaincy is, but I don't think that Strauss isn't that much worse).

Sorry if this post is a bit disjointed as been trying to write it in work where unfortunately they actually expect me to do something so I have to wander off all the time. Will try and tidy it up back home later if so.

Last edited by midge5; 23 May 2007 at 15:22.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2007, 15:33   #2
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Re: England Cricket Team

Getting our arses kicked by India again are we?

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2007, 15:44   #3
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In my opinion England are in a handy position where they can probably tackle the West Indies without needing Vaughan and Flintoff, who should be sent to the county game to gain form and fitness until the series later in the summer. It seems to make no sense to risk them now when they aren't fully fit and we can still have a good go at the Windies without them. If they have good form in the county game, then of course they should be reinstated to the side whatever.

Given Moores' Sussex connections it would come as no surprise to me whatsoever if Mike Yardy joined Prior in the England set up when he's fit at some stage. Prior has obviously come in for his batting prowess while being a competent wicketkeeper and I'd suggest that unless he screws up, he'll be given time to grow into the role. Shah's obviously screwed up his chance and I doubt he'll be considered for some time.

As for the bowling, I'm looking forward to the return to fitness of Simon Jones who was absolutely lethal in the ashes 2 years ago. Hopefully the rumour about Allan Donald becoming our bowling coach is true as its obvious that Harmison needs some help.
Unread 23 May 2007, 16:01   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
However, what would other people do about Flintoff?
His ankle seems a bit too dodgy to put much reliance on him as a bowler, while his batting form in recent times has been abymsal, not a patch on those who are already in the team. It would seem immensely unfair to drop Cook/Bell/Collingwood for him. Other than that the batting lineup to me actually seems quite strong.
We have better batsmen so he should only be brought in at the moment instead of a bowler.
If he's not fit enough to bowl then he shouldn't play.

Quote:
For wicket keeper, I would have stuck with Reed. He was crap in the odi over in Australia but then so were most of the rest of the team. He did quite well against Pakistan and in the tests against the Aussies. After the other day though Prior has probably done enough to keept he jersey for a while and all the changing wasn't really particularly useful anyway so he should keep it for now.
Definately keep with Prior. Read and Jones have missed their chances. Nixon was what we needed when he played but isn't going to be around long. Prior impressed me in the first test and should certainly play the rest of this series.

Quote:
The bowling however...
Harmison it seems is still bowling shockingly at test level (I can't find it now but on one of the BBC commentaries it showed Harmison's career split into 10 test sections, and other than 2004 his average and number of wickets taken is actually extremely ordinary)
Hoggard, Broad, and Lewis are all injured while Jones isn't fit.
While Mahmood/Plunkett/Anderson are all too inconsistent to be considered international standard yet.
Hoggard is certainly our best, and most consistent, fast bowler over the last year.
We don't have any other consistent bowlers...
Flintoff when fit and Harmison when on form can both be deadly.
S Jones added to it (although his county season hasn't started very well) is potentially the best fast bowling attack in the world.
You've forgotten to mention Panesar however. You can't drop him for any match at the moment - he is another who will potentially be one of the best spinners in the world - certainly better than any English spinner in my memory.

Plunkett, Mahmood and Anderson are all back-up bowlers. I think I'd choose Mahmood over the others at the moment playing 2 or all 3 of them fills me with dread though

Quote:
So I'm going to take the easy option and say I don't really know who I would play at the moment. The ones I would are all injured and I don't follow enough county cricket to know who is good or not, though David Harrison at Glamorgan has looked quite good in a shit team over recent years.
Sidebottom has certainly been quite good for Notts though along with a couple of other bowlers this season - Shreck for one.

Kabir Ali has also been overlooked.

Quote:
The interesting part for me will be though when Trescothick returns. His form for Somerset this year has been really good, and in one day cricket especially he provides a much more attacking option to open with. Stick to test matches though, personally I would drop Vaughan (his form his just way too bad to justify his place at the moment, no matter how good his captaincy is, but I don't think that Strauss isn't that much worse).
I can't see Tresco coming back into the side to be honest. Unless there is a couple of injuries or severe loss of form.
Vaughan and Strauss aren't exactly in the best form but while we're batting well I don't see any of the top order being dropped.
I would certainly play Vaughan at 3 though instead of opening. Cook has done well opening and Strauss always has the potnetial for big runs.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2007, 19:41   #5
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0jPaTmWF5I

(but i still want to learn it, cricket)
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2007, 22:22   #6
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Harmison demolised Kent several days ago
Unread 23 May 2007, 22:55   #7
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
Harmison demolised Kent several days ago
Any team with Robert Key and Geraint Jones in it is bound to be demolished.
Unread 24 May 2007, 00:02   #8
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Any team with Yasir Arafat in it is bound to be demolished.
Fixed.

Also Plunkett did well it that match.
Unread 25 May 2007, 16:56   #9
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well Vaughan came back with a century to quieten a few critics.

Strauss still getting out too easily though...

Pieterson looks on-form

Sidebottom playing with Harmison, Plunkett and Panesar. He could actually be what we need - not particularly explosive but won't be erratic and will provide some tidy overs following the opening bowlers.
I do feel the side is a little unbalanced without a fourth seamer though...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2007, 17:26   #10
lokken
BlueTuba

Two words for this match considering the weather and state of play...

Batting Practice.