User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 11 Jul 2009, 11:19   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
N00b Processor/Grpahics Card Question

Windows Index Experience has told me the following:
Processor: 4.2
RAM: 4.5
Graphics: 2.2
Gaming Graphics: 3.2
Primary Hard Disk: 5.7

Windows Aero is running. Would a processor upgrade be best or would improved performance come from a better grpahics card?

My PC was pretty cheap when I bought it, so the processor may be built in to the motherboard. How can I find out without physically looking? The graphics card is almost certainly built in, but there is a place from upgrading, I believe.

Where can I get a good cheap processor/graphics card from?

My current processor (according to Windows 7) is an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.2 GHz 3.19GHz.

This seems high, but that might be because it is possibly not duel core?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2009, 12:11   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: N00b Processor/Grpahics Card Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go View Post
My PC was pretty cheap when I bought it, so the processor may be built in to the motherboard.
It's not.

Quote:
The graphics card is almost certainly built in, but there is a place from upgrading, I believe.
Why do you want to upgrade? Or, alternatively, what do you use your computer for?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2009, 12:24   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
It's not.
Sweet as. How do I find an appropriate replacement, and work out what fan is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Why do you want to upgrade? Or, alternatively, what do you use your computer for?
I use it an awful lot, so it's nice to have it working how I want it to work.

Apart from general browsing and the such, I use it to record music which can be quite resource intensive.

I do not use graphics programs at all (except for Windows Aero, which could be smoother), but am considering upgrading as it is seemingly the weakest part of my PC by quite a long way.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 11 Jul 2009, 12:26   #4
All Systems Go

Info from somewhere else:

Quote:
Intel Pentium 4 model 641
You are correct it's not a Dual core CPU.

ISTART C2389
Rio 3 (RC415ST-PM) Motherboard
CPU Support
Support Intel® Pentium® Hyper - Threading technology with FMB Performance 2005 support.
Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor in a LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus, 2.8Ghz to 3.8 GHz or higher.
Support for an Intel® Celeron® processor in a LGA775 socket with a 533 MHz system bus, 2.8 GHz or higher.

If you upgrade from the integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 GPU, you will require a PCI Express 16X Graphics Card.

You may have to upgrade the PSU if you purchase a power hungry Graphics Card.
Unread 11 Jul 2009, 13:59   #5
All Systems Go

I think I have narrowed it down to a potential four processors. Afaik, they are all really similar.

Back in the day, processors used to be easy to understand by their speed. Nowadays we have dual cores and quad cores and god knows what else!

Can anybody shed some light on which of these is the superior one?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134552
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/153125
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148715
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166192
Unread 11 Jul 2009, 15:26   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The last two are the best ones in that batch, but the chipset on your motherboard doesn't support them. Instead, look for Core 2 Duo processors in the E6xxx range.

A word of warning though, though these are the most recent processors that'll work with your motherboard, they are all between two and three years old, while the one you currently have is 3 years old. You'll notice some speed improvement, especially when multitasking, but the difference will be minimal.

Don't bother buying a graphics card. There are only two reasons to do this (graphics work and gaming), and neither is valid in this case.

It's a myth that upgrading single parts of computers leads to significant performance improvements or that this is somehow cost effective. Personally, I would stick to what you have now. It's not a "good" computer by any stretch of the imagination, but upgrading single parts will not improve it by much, and the money is better saved for (say) next year, when you'll probably be better off replacing the entire core of the computer (mobo, cpu, ram, gfx, psu), which, yes, will be more expensive, but which on the bright side won't be a complete waste of money.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 11 Jul 2009, 17:18   #7
All Systems Go

I see... That's most unfortunate.

I was kind of hoping to gradually buy bits and bobs for this system, then buy a new motherboard & case in a while and transfers the bits over.

But if that is the case then it's not worth doing.

Thanks for the advice.
Unread 12 Jul 2009, 11:58   #8
All Systems Go

OK. Plan B. No idea how fesible this is, but...

I buy a new motherboard then plug all my current PC components into it. Then I replace the old components bit by bit until I have a brand spanking new system.

Clearly, there is no immediate benefit, but it will allow me to have a gradually better PC, which can be upgraded indefinately.

Is this a workable/worthwhile plan?
Unread 12 Jul 2009, 13:55   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I think you should probably (disclaimer here) be able to replace your current motherboard with a newer Socket 775 one and reuse your CPU (maybe RAM too), but as with replacing the CPU, you won't notice much of a difference.

Peripherals like displays, CD/DVD drives, hard disks can each be upgraded independently from all other parts without too many issues. However, as I said before, the core of the computer (mobo, cpu, ram, often psu and gfx as well) should always be replaced together, both for compatibility reasons and cost effectiveness.
Unread 23 Jul 2009, 14:37   #10
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Apart from general browsing and the such, I use it to record music which can be quite resource intensive.
Quick question, what program do you use to record music?
From my own personal experience i know alot of music software uses the processing power of the soundcard quite alot.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Aug 2009, 21:32   #11
bit
neurotweaker

bit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of lightbit is a glorious beacon of light

adlib ftw
bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2009, 12:59   #12
TcMatic

TcMatic is an unknown quantity at this point

All the new cpu's look coolwith dual quad and more cores on it ,but just a few programs use multi core tech
With your cpu its a good one
just put in 2 gig ram
and find out iff you can put in a bit better graphic card

it hink you can upgrade for 100 euro to 2 gig ram and a nice Graphic card
TcMatic is offline   Reply With Quote