User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 2 Jun 2007, 17:19   #1
Zimra

Zimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to behold
New players opinion V2

A couple of you might remember I made a thread about this at the end of round 19, where I gave my opinion of Planetarion after being a new player for 1 round. Well, this is the second one. You may be wondering why I didn't do one for round 20, but I didn't play that round due to person issues with my fiancee. So, anyway, this is about round 21. In the face of a declining playerbase (as far as I hear) I thought you'd like the hear the opinion of one of the newer faces.

First of all, I found this round fun. Being a member of F-Crew and thus not involved in all the higher up politics and gameplay means I'm still not exposed to the full breadth of the game itself, but I still get to play enough to join it. There was still plenty of action and drama, and second hand events I heard from my friends in other major alliances. F-Crew itself had it's own share of events, such as the whole deal with Sakato (that was funny as hell, although pretty stupid).

Firstly, I didn't play for value this round, but I went for XP instead. Granted, this was a bad idea, and I know it was, but this didn't stop me. My decision was firstly random and then planned. It started when I looked on Sandmans and realised I was #2 for XP roughly halfway through the round. I decided, screw it, I might as well keep playing for it. The reason I kept on with the strategy was because I couldn't hold enough roids to build up value (Again, lots of reasons, probably mostly my fault, but not going to go into it here). Now, I didn't do too good a job, ending only on #9 for XP I think, but it was really, really fun. Nothing beats landing on someone twice your size for minimal losses. And in the case of the last day, landing on someone bigger than you and obliterating your entire fleet down to 200k value because you had to go to work. Thankfully though, by the time I got back from work the round was over, and I didn't really mind. Still stings a bit, though...

I made a *lot* of friends this round, and a couple of enemies too. Benneh being one of the enemies, I'm not sure if he's still pissed off at me or not, but he probably wants to rip my throat out. I'm sorry Benneh!

And this round in F-Crew, I also got to try out being a BC. You may now be thinking, *YOU WERE THE F-CREW BC? HAHAHAH WHERE WAS ALL THE DEFENCE?* Just let me point out, it's hard to send defence when I can't click my fingers and magically make ships appear out of nowhere. I was kind of dissapointed with F-Crew this round, lots and lots of people went inactive, and even though I was getting 2 hours sleep a night most of the week doing Defence Calls, I still didn't get anywhere near enough ships to cover the calls. But, that said, there were tons of great guys in there and I made a hell of a lot of friends and generally had a good time. You still rock, F-Crew!

Back to the point at hand. I am a new player, and I love Planetarion and want to play it more, I plan to play next round. For reasons for the player base declining, I'm not entirely sure. There's probably lots of reasons. It's not the most interesting game in the world, for one, lots of people will load it up, get bored after an hour and switch to WoW. New players I think will be daunted by the sheer amount there is to learn, the huge manual, the ship stats, and the fact that you need to go on IRC basically to even enjoy the game. I played a round back in the day without an Alliance or IRC (I didn't really even know the two went hand in hand, that could be part of the problem) and although I enjoyed it, I just wasn't really sure what was happening at all. The fact is that for a browser based game, a lot of the enjoyment itself is hidden on IRC, and some people aren't willing to play a game and have a 'chat room' loaded up at the same time. Why bother doing that when they could just load up another game and have much more fun? I've seen people in my Galaxy be scared off by it and not play anymore, or find it's too taxing or too much work just for a 'simple' build ships and kill game.

But anyway, that's me rambling again. In short, I'm a new player, I played round 19 and now I'm still playing. That must at least tell you that Planetarion isn't ready to die yet. Or, more likely, I'm just one weirdo out of thousands of other online gamers who pass the game by. I don't know, and if you know, then please tell me.

Anyway, thank you for a great round everyone. Planetarion is fun, and I'm here to stay for now, so count yourself 1 player for Round 22. Have a good time everyone, sorry for the long winded post!

Plus, a final point to all the experienced players. A lot of you people have been playing this game for *years*, and when you say it's boring, maybe you just can't see the game from a fresh players viewpoint? Granted, you've been around when the game had a lot more players and everything was hectic and exciting and things like that, but you have to realise that the game is still fun now, if not to you at least to other people. PA in it's current form isn't dead, and people still find it an enjoyable experience.
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 17:31   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: New players opinion V2

Benneh is a bit of a carebear, so chances are he'll still hate you on his death bed!

And yes, you are probably the exception as far as new players are concerned. Most will do as you say, sign up, get bored within a week, and piss off to WoW or CS or whatever. This is a shame, because it means they miss out on most of the finer finesses of the game.

You mentioned "the whole deal with Sakato" as if people should've heard of it, but I personally (and, most likely many with me) haven't, care to enlighten me?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 18:12   #3
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

How can you be a new player twice?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2007, 03:04   #4
Zimra

Zimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to beholdZimra is a splendid one to behold

I can be a new player as many times as I want to be! Stupid jokes aside, the game is still new to me, so therefore I'm still a new player. Not the best choice of words granted, maybe 'new-ish'?

And the reason I only mentioned 'The whole deal with Sakato' was because I'd rather not spam up the post with details on it. After all, I doubt many of you care about the goings on in a tiny Alliance.

Although I'll fill you in on the details, at least as much as I saw and can remember. Sakato was, at the time, our #1 player in F-Crew. One of our members, who will remain nameless for fear of him hunting me down and beating the living **** out of me, launched his fleet at a member of Sakatos Galaxy. Sakato knew the guy who was being attacked personally, as in not just over IRC (that's what he told me), so Sakato didn't want the guy to be landed on, especially by a member of his own Alliance. We don't allow attacks on Galaxies with members in it without explicit orders, either, basically to avoid what happend next...

The attacker didn't recall, despite numerous PAMails and IRC messages telling him to do so. His attack wasn't defended, either, because it was assumed that he would recall it in the first place. Now, as far as I know, this was those few days where America/Canada were hit by a HUGE series of storms, and the guy doing the attacks power was out (he texted me telling me this, but by this time his attack had already landed). So, he couldn't pull his attack because the power went out. But before Sakato could find this out, he quit F-Crew. He actually quit the second the attack landed if I remember correctly. He was pissed off and wanted revenge.

So, Sakato and some of his Galaxy mates launched a huge amount of waves at the attackers planet, for most of the rest of the day and the next few following days. The rest of us, being mostly uninformed about the entire situation, retalled on Sakato's galaxy, making it that nights only target.

Basically, it was a gigantic mess and a huge ****up that never should have happend in the first place. Although it was very fun to be a part of (that probably sounds sadistic) since not much else interesting was going on at the time apart from Gal raid after Gal raid.