User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 Dec 2006, 20:04   #201
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of
Re: A Plane Problem

Can't we all just get along...
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 20:07   #202
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
Can't we all just get along...
not if your wife's on the same bench ...
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 20:07   #203
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnidman
You know, that I know, that you know you will seem as though you are contradicting yourself if you answer the question correctly, which is why you are avoiding it.
I thought I told you to point out what was wrong with it, if you considered it to be incorrect. Since you appear to be stuck over an irrelevent issue, I must assume that you're just being a jackass.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 20:29   #204
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I thought I told you to point out what was wrong with it, if you considered it to be incorrect. Since you appear to be stuck over an irrelevent issue, I must assume that you're just being a jackass.
I can't point that out just yet, I haven't had enough time to take a look at it in greater detail.

Your turn.
Arachnidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 20:35   #205
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I can't point that out just yet, I haven't had enough time to take a look at it in greater detail.

Your turn.
I don't need a turn. As I said, I'm not arguing with you. I'm just waiting for you to come out with something to support your proposition. There's nothing to reply to.

Oh, and as a rule of thumb, having the basis of your argument being "I don't know, I haven't looked at it in enough detail" when you're dealing with a basic logical argument is not a good place to be.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 20:47   #206
Arachnidman
You love me really

Arachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond reputeArachnidman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't need a turn. As I said, I'm not arguing with you. I'm just waiting for you to come out with something to support your proposition. There's nothing to reply to.
I want to make sure I interpret your explanation correctly. Can you please clarify the following for me:

Is the frictional force caused by the wheel on the track, velocity dependent or not?
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 20:53   #207
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

All, some, or none of it can be. Why does the frictional force have to have one unique origin?
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 21:25   #208
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
not if your wife's on the same bench ...
Again, please stop trying to flame until you grow some sense of how to do it properly. I realize you probably like being seen as an ass, but you must realize your style is comparable to that of a 5 year old.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 21:26   #209
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Again, please stop trying to flame until you grow some sense of how to do it properly. I realize you probably like being seen as an ass
no one can miss your wife's ass ...
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 21:28   #210
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

I almost made a post about your inability to use the quote system properly, but you fixed it, good job ace.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 22:17   #211
Arachnidman
You love me really

Quote:
All, some, or none of it can be. Why does the frictional force have to have one unique origin?
You have to know what the origin is, and how it is affected by other factors, if you want to model something effectively.

Everyone sees that you incorrectly beleive rolling friction to be dependent on velocity, when it isn't.

I will no longer be posting in this thread, because it has become a boring game in which you skirt around admitting you made a blunder (knowingly or unknowingly) when everone else knows you did.
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 22:22   #212
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
You have to know what the origin is, and how it is affected by other factors, if you want to model something effectively.

Everyone sees that you incorrectly beleive rolling friction to be dependent on velocity, when it isn't.

I will no longer be posting in this thread, because it has become a boring game in which you skirt around admitting you made a blunder (knowingly or unknowingly) when everone else knows you did.
don't presume to talk for 'everyone'.

All i know is that you are a boring ****
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 22:52   #213
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
but you must realize your style is comparable to that of a 5 year old.
You must realize that your wife is comparable to wikipedia, they've both had millions of entries!

Quote:
I almost made a post about your inability to use the quote system properly, but you fixed it, good job ace.
your wife can't post properly because her fingers are too fat to use a keyboard!
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 23:19   #214
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

The wheels and axles will break.

Thus the introduction of Jet and Gas Turbine Technology for vertical take-off and landing.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 23:44   #215
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a VTOL plane, then yes it will take off!
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2006, 23:51   #216
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What if just in front of the plane there's a series of black holes which gradually curve upwards at an ever-increasing rate in strength?
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 00:01   #217
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ah but what if the treadmill is underwater and the plane is actually a submarine?
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 00:02   #218
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't. It doesn't matter a jot if the major cause of friction is the wheels on the tarmac, the wheels on the axel or someone throwing cows at the plane, as long as it scales as a linear function of velocity, plus a constant. A force of one newton acting in the same direction at the same point will have the same no matter the source. In fact, the point of action doesn't matter here either, as we don't care about moments.

Quote:
when everone else knows you did.
Everyone doesn't seem to understand GCSE level maths, including you; I wouldn't be quite so quick to proclaim membership as a good thing.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 00:07   #219
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
What if just in front of the plane there's a series of black holes which gradually curve upwards at an ever-increasing rate in strength?
Black holes are everywhere.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 00:17   #220
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
Black holes are everywhere.
Okay but what if the plane has an infinitely powerful anti-gravity generator onboard and is made of papier mache?
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 00:23   #221
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

If you jump to hyperspace in the 14th dimension you can avoid Blackholes altogether
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 00:24   #222
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
If you jump to hyperspace in the 14th dimension you can avoid Blackholes altogether
That's actually a myth, like the 10% of the brains thing.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 00:35   #223
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Jesus H Christ.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 01:14   #224
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The H stands for his middle name which is Horatio. Little known fact.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 02:13   #225
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

I thought it was Hernandez..

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 02:48   #226
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

What causes lift as supposed to forward thrust is the passing of air over the airfoils.

If the plane is stationary on the "runway" but thrusting forward, it will still fail to take off as the air around it is not moving at any significant speed.

I do apologize for the fact that this point will have been made many times before.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 02:49   #227
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

enjoyed this thread, maybe not an amazing concentration of inteligence but a pretty fair show in the "physics jokes" department.

(with MrL_JaKiri to the death on all physics issues from this day forward!)
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 02:50   #228
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BesigedB
What causes lift as supposed to forward thrust is the passing of air over the airfoils.

If the plane is stationary on the "runway" but thrusting forward, it will still fail to take off as the air around it is not moving at any significant speed.

I do apologize for the fact that this point will have been made many times before.
read the thread dude, its a rollercoaster of up's and downs where you end up agreeing wholeheartedly with MrL_JaKiri.
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 03:01   #229
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tyrant
read the thread dude, its a rollercoaster of up's and downs where you end up agreeing wholeheartedly with MrL_JaKiri.
  • The plane will take off on a conventional length runway that happens to be a conveyor belt, as the wheels will spin faster.
  • An other plane being held stationary on a theoretical treadmill will not.
That's how I understand this thread to have concluded.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 09:14   #230
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Conclusion #2 has been plucked out of satan's own arse.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 12:02   #231
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I'm not sure if a thread where (at least initially) half the participants don't seem to understand how the wheels of a plane work is a good candidate for world-implosion via excessive concentrations of intelligence.
Then perhaps the vast amounts of Jakiri's intelligence and others' stupidity will make the world spin around at infinite speed and break down under centrifugal forces. It's the same concept as when you tie a piece of buttered toast on the back of a cat to make anti-gravity.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 18:45   #232
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Then perhaps the vast amounts of Jakiri's intelligence and others' stupidity will make the world spin around at infinite speed and break down under centrifugal forces. It's the same concept as when you tie a piece of buttered toast on the back of a cat to make anti-gravity.
The cat still lands on its feet, so the moral of the story is - always tie your buttered toast to a cat so that it doesn't fall butter side down if you drop it!
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 18:53   #233
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
The cat still lands on its feet, so the moral of the story is - always tie your buttered toast to a cat so that it doesn't fall butter side down if you drop it!
but...

but...

That would make the cat dirty!
And no one likes a dirty pussy.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 19:19   #234
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
I've seen cat's not land on there feet, and there wasn't a piece of buttered toast taped to there backside.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:02   #235
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have a question!!!

Someone asked me this at a party last night. It was rocking.

Imagine that a helicopter has an infinite amount of fuel. If it takes off vertically (ignore air movement etc), then stays hovering for 12 hours or so, will the earth rotate beneath it, so when it lands it will land in a different place?
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:05   #236
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

using common logic, not fysics, I'd say he'd land in the same place.
The aircolomn he's hovering in moves with the earth as it goes, was it not the case then going to the states from the UK would be cheaper/more expensive then vice versa because of the earth movement, this is clearly not the case, hence I apply this logic also to your question.
The logic is not robust and I think even flawed, but the answer is I think correct.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:11   #237
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I'm staying out of this one, except to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
was it not the case then going to the states from the UK would be cheaper/more expensive then vice versa because of the earth movement, this is clearly not the case
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:15   #238
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Oh I am wrong on that one!

However, I still think the helicopter will stay above the same spot. If you want to see the earth's movement TomKat I suggest you build a Pendulum of Foucault.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:16   #239
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Clearly they would have landed on their feet if there HAD been a piece of buttered toast taped to their backside.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:19   #240
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I have a question!!!

Imagine that a helicopter has an infinite amount of fuel. If it takes off vertically (ignore air movement etc), then stays hovering for 12 hours or so, will the earth rotate beneath it, so when it lands it will land in a different place?
Even ignoring the air movement, the helicopter would probably only move imperceptably as the helicopter would still be held in its place by gravity. Gravity isn't affected by not being attached to the ground.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:22   #241
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Even ignoring the air movement, the helicopter would probably only move imperceptably as the helicopter would still be held in its place by gravity. Gravity isn't affected by not being attached to the ground.
Oh god help me
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:27   #242
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Oh god help me
Surely, didn't you know that everything in your house is held in place by gravitystrings?!?! How else would it stay in place while we are flying through space at a gazillion miles per hour?!
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:40   #243
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

infinite fuel = infinite weight.
The thing wont take off
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:46   #244
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
The thing wont take off
Wouldn't it then fall through the ground to the Earths core and with it's giant weight have such a massive gravatational pull that the universe would be reabsorbed into one dense mass?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 20:47   #245
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Wouldn't it then fall through the ground to the Earths core and with it's giant weight have such a massive gravatational pull that the universe would be reabsorbed into one dense mass?
.... yes... sort of. The earth would essentially be pulled into the helicopter and then onwards into one big mass.

... but it still wouldnt take off.
The question itself is stupid anyway
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 22:06   #246
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

I'd just like to point out....WE'RE ON THE 6TH PAGE FOR ****ING OUT LOUD.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 22:46   #247
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
The thing wont take off
Don't be an ass
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 22:47   #248
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Don't be an ass
Seriously tk if you'd manage to phrase that question poorer I'm pretty sure god himself would have come down from heaven and dropped an infinitely heavy rock he couldn't lift onto you.
Unread 29 Dec 2006, 23:57   #249
dda
USS Oklahoma

Or have caused him to lose his hair.
Unread 30 Dec 2006, 04:31   #250
BesigedB
Darling

Quote:
I have a question!!!

I think that's pretty much the same question as "I jump up vertically in a train, do I land in the same place?"