User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Aug 2006, 01:22   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Travelling

...It's supposedly the "thing to do" now, isn't it?

Either before university for a year, or after university once you've saved some money.

(or at any other time in your life, indeed)

I've never been "travelling" beyond a few holidays with my friends or family.

I intend to - this time next year I intend to be "travelling" in either Australia or America. I want to do both before I'm 30.

The idea of going somewhere backpacking (Thailand, for example) doesn't interest me at all. From the sounds of it all you meet are other British backpackers. What's the point? Might as well go to Picadilly - you'd meet more foreigners and experience more culture.

Also I don't want to just go "travelling". It implies following set routes and someone else's idea of where to go and what to do.

I want to go to both Australia and America. I have no idea which order in.

I also don't want to just go there. I want to hitchhike from one side to the other (for America I'd probably cityhop in a circle). Mainly because it'd be a challenge, secondly because it'd be cheaper, thirdly because it'd be something to talk (brag) about. I have no idea of the difficulty but I know it's possible. I've hitchhiked from Exeter to Amsterdam - that was relatively easy and took me 36 hours.

So - where have people gone? I know JBG has been through America, and I know Ste is pretty well travelled. I know pig has trekked through Europe. The rest of you haven't spoken much about where you've gone and what you've done.

Tell me!
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 01:31   #2
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Travelling

You seen the film "Wolf Creek" Tom? Mentioning the film is all i'm gonna say at the moment.
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 01:33   #3
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
You seen the film "Wolf Creek" Tom? Mentioning the film is all i'm gonna say at the moment.
No but I've seen all 3 Mad Max films so I know what to expect from those crazy Australians!
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 09:38   #4
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I went through Europe which was real good fun. The thing with travelling that I learnt was not to have a set plan. Vaguely know that you want to get from one side of a continent to another but thats it, take it as it comes. I plan to fly out to the USA within the next couple of years. Landing in New York. Buying a car and then making my way around the USA. Going whereever, whenever I wish.

Part of this is culture and all that, but balls to that the USA doesnt have much, I want to get laid in 50 states (or a large number like that) I just think it would be a good challenge to see how much sex I could get while on holiday (im positive it would be quite easy as americans are well easy).

Dont do the whole lonely planet thing as thats not travelling. One thing I found about going around europe was is that you hear stories and legends. For example on the trains packed of mainly americans the words "pink palace" kept popping up. This was basically a youth hostel for people to go and get laid in very easily. Had I had the money and the time I would of gone there, but just follow your heart (god that sounds gay) or the fit girls!

Thats the only real backpacking ive done, ive done loads of travelling but that was with companies holding my hands. My dad backpacked around the states in the 60s and while he almost got kicked out for being a communist he thoroughly enjoyed hitchiking, sleeping in ditches etc. He said all he took were a pair of levis, a shirt and a leather jacket. I somehow believe him ;/
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 10:24   #5
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Im going to be doing as pig suggested.

After I graduate next summer, Im flying out to Oslo and then inter-railing from there down to the Russian Border, crossing Russia, then inter-railing all the way down to Greece, along the coast line [via Monaco], down into Spain, dipping into Portugal so I can shit on Cristiano Ronaldos parents, then finishing off in Luxembourg via Paris and Amsterdam. Going with a couple of Uni mates so it should prove to be fun.

I've heard good things about back packing across the US [a flat mate last year showed me video and pics of what it was like] and I'm planning on doing that at some point.

edit : for more information on inter-railing click here
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED

Last edited by Smudge; 8 Aug 2006 at 11:30. Reason: added link
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 11:14   #6
aestuos
No Alliance

aestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really niceaestuos is just really nice

Well ive travelled quite a lot , a lot with my parents when i was younger, the nicest place i have been to was egypt valley of the kings, going in the tombs the blistering heat, all the culture and history was breathtaking, i thought that it might be tacky but it really wasnt.

However my fav holiday was to italy being catholic and all the Vatican city meant a lot to me, i know some people are not religious, but if you are there is nothing like going to there or whever the centre of your religion is based

or not
aestuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 11:44   #7
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I can't imagine why you would want to hitchhike from one side of Australia to the other. It is largely desert, you would die - failing that, the trip would be very very dull.

Now I've done this travelling malarky, to Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast. I've lived in Sydney for three months, starting out with $1k AUD and a backpack.

I don't think I'd do it again and didn't really enjoy the experience terribly much, which is a bit strange considering most people tend to wax lyrical about the 'amazing' times they had whilst backpacking. It was hot (35 C on average, 45 C on a bad day), expensive, unremarkable and generally uninteresting. Sydney is really a city without much of a soul, unlike Melbourne, which I find is a great deal more vibrant and interesting.

Australia has never really blown me away as a tourist, there are a few great things to see, but Australia is absolutely huge, and most of the interesting things are spread out across the country. Want to go see Ayers Rock? Good luck, its fifty billion miles from civilization, out in the middle of nowhere.

Many of the landmarks are similarly remote, and typically unremarkable. One example from my travels is the Three Sisters rock formation. I was led to believe this rock formation was an awe inspiring sight, well worth the time to visit. The enormous tourism center built nearby certainly promised great things.

Yet in reality, it is just a pile of rocks - not a terribly interesting pile of rocks at that. Now extrapolate from there, if this is one of New South Wales' premiere tourist attractions, that dosn't say much for the rest of the place now does it? In my journeys around the state this hypothesis was generally bourne out.

Nowadays this sort of meaningless tourism for the sake of curiosity dosn't appeal to me very much. In fact I have grown to loathe tourism in general. Nowadays I would be more inclined to delve into niche tourism, though the distinction at this point seems rather vague.
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 12:35   #8
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i would like to travel across europe by land and sea one day.

I'd like to go across france, all the way down italy, over to sicily then on to my family in malta, so it is actually a proper journey with a clear start (the round tower, Portsmouth) and finish line (fort st.elmo, valletta).

To me there are places like Paris, Florence, Rome, Venice that you have to see before you die. I haven't really had the opportunity to travel much as i've had to go see my family in malta instead of going on a regular holiday.

I've been to Germany and it was moderately interesting. Berlin is a fantastic city I'd love to see again and for longer. Dresden is one of the saddest sights in Western Europe as our carpet bombing has pretty much ruined it, so I don't think it's worth visiting. I had the opportunity to visit a concentration camp and it was a sobering experience - an absolutely horrible, horrible place. West Germany didn't exactly set me alight, although the cathedral in Koln and the Haus der Geschichte in Bonn (which I think is one of the best museums i've been to) are worth visiting.
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 12:57   #9
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
I can't imagine why you would want to hitchhike from one side of Australia to the other. It is largely desert, you would die - failing that, the trip would be very very dull.
Yeah, I'll probably fly from one side to the other or get the Great Indian Pacific.
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 15:37   #10
TouRiQueT
-Narcissus.Narcosis-

TouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these parts

Southeast Asia. I lived in Singapore for 5 years and being based there made it very easy and inexpensive to travel to nearby countries. Highly recommend traveling around especially Thailand and Vietnam. Once you're there living is insanely cheap.
________
Roll blunts

Last edited by TouRiQueT; 13 Sep 2011 at 06:58.
TouRiQueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 18:12   #11
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I want to do the same as you, but my girlfriend is in Australia now and will be for the next 2 or 3 weeks or something so I can't go there next summer with her.

She's told me we're going to Thailand next year as everyone she's met has said its amazing there and cheap too. However, I'm scared of the yellow people and getting killed and suchlike because the FCO website says there's civil unrest and suchlike :/

Anyway, I always though Canada sounded sexy. Brilliant for photography and they're not yellow!
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 21:08   #12
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking at ways you can do this and you can "round the world".

You start in London, then go to NY and travel across America to LA. From LA you can fly to Sydney, or you can fly to Fiji, go to the Cook Islands, back to Fiji, down to Auckland, then to Sydney and tour around Australia for a bit.

I've looked at routes for my girlfriend and I which would be: London -> Bangkok -> Sydney -> Auckland -> Fiji -> Cook Islands -> Tahiti -> LA -> New York -> London.

I think the tickets cost in the regions of £1000, then you have to factor in spending money so it may be a lot of money :O
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 22:42   #13
TouRiQueT
-Narcissus.Narcosis-

TouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I think the tickets cost in the regions of ?1000, then you have to factor in spending money so it may be a lot of money :O
If you can tickets to fly to all those places for that price thats AMAZING!!
________
ANNALBOMBOM

Last edited by TouRiQueT; 13 Sep 2011 at 06:58.
TouRiQueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 22:59   #14
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

<KoeN> tom
<KoeN> if you wait 2,5 years
<KoeN> i will join you to australia
<KoeN> :]
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 23:11   #15
KaneED
Motherfracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouRiQueT
If you can tickets to fly to all those places for that price thats AMAZING!!
Its one big ticket pretty much, not individual tickets
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 23:29   #16
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Ive done alot of random traveling, but it has never been very far. I went drunk to Denmark once (some girls payed my fare) , and have also traveled to Germany without any money. Traveling without much money and a plan is actually great fun, althought I would probably think abit more about it if I were going to the Phillippines. (And I am, this winter if my money stays the way it does!) I'l buy a freereturn ticket (oneyear) and then just travel around asia by boat when I'm bored of the Phillippines (great fun, cheap)
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2006, 23:44   #17
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Traveling is great!
Out of your two "wants", would go to Australia first, either Sydney or Perth. Darwin is ok, but its kind of small. In Sydney you get the full effect of Australia, but stay away from King's Cross. PLEASE. Well at least at night. America is a great place to Travel. Sadly the popular places such as New York, and LA are not the places you want to go if you had to pick a place to visit. Go to Washington, DC or Chicago, if you want a taste of what America has to offer.

Thailand is a MUST. Yeah yeah, you do see a lot of fat old british guys in Hawaiian shirts, but you haven't experienced "crazy" until you go there at least once. If you do go there plan the trip for no more than 3 or 4 days. Anything longer and you may die. I recommend Phukett. Its more modern and a bit more "realistic". If you are into letting it hang all out, go to Pattaya. Bangkok is boring. All they have is elephants.

I see you didn't mention Singapore. I highly recommend you add it to your list of places to go. Singapore is very beautiful, but they have horrible PR so not many know it. Many sites to see, and you can take a boat ride to several outskirt "places" that surround it.

As you can see I love talking about travel. I have been to Singapore, Perth, Sydney, Phukett, Bangkok, Pattaya, Hong Kong, Korea, Otaru, Tokyo, Okinawa, Guam, korea, and some others I can't remember.
Add Japan to your list also.
Unread 9 Aug 2006, 10:31   #18
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I would recommend if you try to hitchhike in US, to wear some sort of metal undergarment to not get raped, a bullet proof vest to not get shot, and not keep money on your person, to not get robbed. Other than that, don't except rides from single women in big cities, as they may be cops thinking you're trying to hitch a ride for sex.

Then again, I wouldn't really recommend hitchhiking in US at all, it was fine in the 60s (so I've heard), but in the 21st century it's considered a very bad idea, best to save up and rent a car.
Unread 9 Aug 2006, 11:23   #19
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneED
I've looked at routes for my girlfriend and I which would be: London -> Bangkok -> Sydney -> Auckland -> Fiji -> Cook Islands -> Tahiti -> LA -> New York -> London.
I've always had a problem with Auckland as a New Zealand stopover on a round the world trip. Now I live there, and it is a lovely city, but I certainly don't think of it as a tourist destination as far as NZ is concerned.

Most people come here to see the scenery - perhaps because they noticed it in the Lord of the Rings. Most of that scenery is in the South Island; about as far from Auckland as Edinburgh is from London.

Incidentally on my last trip to the South Island I flew around Mt Cook in a helicopter and walked the Milford track (a 3 day hike) down into Milford Sound. Both of which are awfully touristy things to do, but I felt justified in that I almost never get the chance to visit the South Island, and it really is beautiful.
Unread 9 Aug 2006, 15:21   #20
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

European travelling sounds great fun. A lot of my friends have bought those train tickets where you can just scoot around Europe at will. Another of my friends went out to Fuji and did a scuba diving conservation thing for 3 months, then went to australia and did a trip round there where you by a bus ticket and get on and off at your own will.

Two of my other friends cycled across America. Said they had great fun doing it but it wouldnt be my cup of tea!

As for NZ, its a gorgeous place, been there a couple of times, my Uncle spent 2 months driving around there. Rented one of those caravan car truck type thingies and just drove round there with his gf and crashed in there wherever they rocked up.