User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Apr 2006, 04:58   #1
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice
In excess

Not sure if its just me, but this gal receiving 62 hostile fleets seems a little excessive for 10 planets...with probably not more then 180 roids on average.

http://parser.visionhq.org/index.php...990002b3e9a9be

Thank god its not my galaxy!
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 05:52   #2
higginz
||Dude||

higginz will become famous soon enoughhigginz will become famous soon enough
Re: In excess

i wanna see newsies and breports
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 06:26   #3
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

I have 10 fleets of inc. Notably one that contains 100 cath fr combined with 450 zik co.

I demand an explanation for this completely undeserved amount of incs.

Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 06:31   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
I have 10 fleets of inc. Notably one that contains 100 cath fr combined with 450 zik co.

I demand an explanation for this completely undeserved amount of incs.

you're in 1:1 and have a golden roid - and have a nice number of roids for that matter
if you didnt have 10 fleets incoming already i would be tempted to attack
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 06:35   #5
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

Word on the street is its up 82 hostile fleets now.
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 06:48   #6
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
you're in 1:1 and have a golden roid - and have a nice number of roids for that matter
if you didnt have 10 fleets incoming already i would be tempted to attack
Clearly unfounded. My golden roid is MINE darn you! I've fought off nearly 15 fleets thus far, and with 8 more on the way! I will fight them all off somehow!

BRING IT!
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 08:48   #7
higginz
||Dude||

higginz will become famous soon enoughhigginz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee-
Word on the street is its up 82 hostile fleets now.
101 apparently << whether its true i dunno
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 10:26   #8
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's nothing until you get 90+ fleets. That's usually indicative of 3-4 alliances booking your galaxy. Happens to everyone at some point.
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 11:47   #9
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

Just a booking of a galaxy by mutliple alliances, happened a lot last round aswell. Apperently there is already a lack of good target galaxies.
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 11:52   #10
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

The stagnation of p2p ;X

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 11:57   #11
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNaga
The stagnation of p2p ;X
Actually it's more something specific to this round I think. A lot fewer roids were initiated at the start of the round this time out.
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 12:44   #12
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
Clearly unfounded. My golden roid is MINE darn you! I've fought off nearly 15 fleets thus far, and with 8 more on the way! I will fight them all off somehow!

BRING IT!
that roid is mine squid...your going down

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 14:49   #13
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Actually it's more something specific to this round I think. A lot fewer roids were initiated at the start of the round this time out.
This is true. Last round at pt73 there were 300k roids. This round at pt73 there were 232k roids. It's remained consistent at about 77% as many roids as last round. The number of planets is about the same (starting slightly higher and currently slightly lower than the same tick last round).
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 15:32   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
This is true. Last round at pt73 there were 300k roids. This round at pt73 there were 232k roids. It's remained consistent at about 77% as many roids as last round. The number of planets is about the same (starting slightly higher and currently slightly lower than the same tick last round).
I remember someone telling me the perfect number of roids to stop on was about 165 in terms of getting ships out. This in general will lead to a more rapidly stagnating game. Maybe pateam can reward initiated roids more? Maybe something like initiated roids produce more resources after they're initiated but only for a limited amount of time/dropping off? (Obviously for future rounds.)
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 15:35   #15
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek
that roid is mine squid...your going down
I'LL SAVE YOU SQUID!!
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 16:43   #16
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I remember someone telling me the perfect number of roids to stop on was about 165 in terms of getting ships out. This in general will lead to a more rapidly stagnating game. Maybe pateam can reward initiated roids more? Maybe something like initiated roids produce more resources after they're initiated but only for a limited amount of time/dropping off? (Obviously for future rounds.)

I don't think that any resource-based (thus value based and therefore loseable) bonus will help as a long term effect, so multiply the xp you get for initiating roids, i.e. 5 or 10 xp per initiated roid?
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 17:08   #17
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
I don't think that any resource-based (thus value based and therefore loseable) bonus will help as a long term effect, so multiply the xp you get for initiating roids, i.e. 5 or 10 xp per initiated roid?
very good idea as it becomes irrelevant when you stop initiating roids

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 19:33   #18
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

Very bad idea. Stop making XP the solution to everything, please. Not enough defense? Reward XP for defense. Not enough roids? Award XP for initiating roids. Not enough players, reward XP for signing up and making friends sign up? ;(

The problem simply IS the player base. I'm not saying that it hasn't got worse because players start initiating less roids. I'm not saying there aren't other factors playing a role. I'm just saying that that those are not the root of the problem.

If you would let any round run an endless amount of time, at some point one player would be absolutely unbeatable. Before that, the last 2 strong players fought for that spot. Before that, 3. It's a pyramide structure, if you get the picture. At some point, the growth from having more roids than others will let you get even more, making your growth exponential. The faster your grow, the faster your rate of growing grows, too (what a sentance).

Of course this is a simplified concept, but it demonstrates the point very well: if you have less players, this move from the state of a balanced universe to the stagnation where the variation and the deviation of the planets becomes bigger and bigger (non statistical term: discrepancy), until just a couple emerges on the top, happens faster if there are less players. To make it last twice as long, you need 4 times as many players. It's all statistics and maths, and you can apply that concept in the same way to alliances and galaxies.

Of course, again, this is very simplified, and there is a lot more interaction, and the decisions of planets/alliances/galaxies influences it, as do the stats and the tactics + strategies, but the big picture will stay the same. PA needs more players to stay interesting and exciting over a long(er) period of time.

I've been thinking about that for quite a while already, so it's quite funny it comes up in this thread. I'm not sure whether this stagnation, or whatever you want to call it, leads to a more intense game and race for the top spot, between more elitist players, or whether it will lead to a complete extinction of the player base at some point. Either way, I find the idea of having 200K players again, as in the old times, quite exciting compared to the current state of the game.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 21:40   #19
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

all this game is about is growrate and with less roids in uni it all go slow.
no real good targets worth the risk etc and it gets boring

maybe the xp thingie can solve it not sure
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 21:47   #20
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNaga
*snip*
Well written post.

However, why is it wrong to change game mechanics in order to attract a bigger target audience in order to have more fun? After all, you're just describing what everyone's witnessing since a few rounds and you aren't offering solutions.
Unread 20 Apr 2006, 21:51   #21
XelNaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Well written post.

However, why is it wrong to change game mechanics in order to attract a bigger target audience in order to have more fun? After all, you're just describing what everyone's witnessing since a few rounds and you aren't offering solutions.
Why it is wrong to me depends on my view of the game and what I'd like the game to be.

And no, I don't offer solutions. Yet.

Unread 21 Apr 2006, 00:52   #22
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

I do remember last round being much worse when talking about double booking gals. so far all gals are quite nice and easy to hit.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote