User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Feb 2006, 01:16   #1
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice
XPeriance.

To be honest with everyone XP in its current state has always bode me well, however I do not believe XP in its current capacity has anything to do with experiance. In mmo's like WoW, GW experiance is used to up your stats. Whether its faster strike, harder hits, more health, etc. I think the same route should be taken with XP. Rather then a score boost you should be able to "upgrade" specific stats whether it has to do with a ships init, armour, power, cost, or maybe even help with scans or distorters.

Also I'm not sure if this has been suggested before in the past, as I could not be arsed to search the forum. Sorry if this is the case.
coffee- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 01:26   #2
gormster

gormster will become famous soon enoughgormster will become famous soon enough
Re: XPeriance.

good idea, but it would take a heck of a lot of playtesting before they got the balance right
gormster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 02:15   #3
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

coffee-, you do realise that this change would screw up almost EVERY single battle right? I'd definitely not be happy to do those defcalls.
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 06:46   #4
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

Yes, I fully realize this Nadar. I do not see how this is relevant though. It would add a level of strategy that currently does not exist in the game. At the moment the game feels pretty stale. Do people really think that a DC should be able to tell exactly whats coming at someone through a galstatus paste? There are very few variables anymore, and I think something like this could add some excitement to the game.
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 09:26   #5
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Variation in ship stats is a terrible idea since those with more powerful ships will have exponential growth.
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 09:46   #6
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I wouldnt mind Experience going towards reducing production time, research time, construction cost, etc, as most of those things tend to have little impact on the vast majority of battles in planetarion.

I am, however, severely against XP altering any of the Ship Stats (including Initiative), and/or Travel Times (no matter how fun that might be ).
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 16:44   #7
coffee-
Beoyotch

Why is it you guys are against the altering of ships stats? It would be a in manor that everyone could do it. Though my idea does not need to only be applied to ship stats, I think it would make things more exciting
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 17:10   #8
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee-
Why is it you guys are against the altering of ships stats?
As I said, it'd screw over every single battle.
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 17:13   #9
coffee-
Beoyotch

If by "screwing" you mean adding variation, then yes.
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 17:27   #10
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee-
If by "screwing" you mean adding variation, then yes.
No, screwing. Like every battle will make no sense as no one will know the outcome of it.
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 21:21   #11
coffee-
Beoyotch

Shouldn't a game of war be unpredictable?
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 21:32   #12
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The deviance in unit scans already does that for us.
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 22:36   #13
Prawn
:o\

Prawn is on a distinguished road

Planet A attacks planet B. planet A is in a top5 alliance and has plenty of XP. Planet B is in an alliance with a much lower score, caused by having considerably less XP. Some of planet As XP has been used to reduce his travel time by 1. Planet A attacks planet B using his fighters. Due to the decreased travel time, planet Bs galaxy do not see the incs until they are eta6. This means that anybody from planet Bs alliance who wishes to defend planet B must also have decreased travel time. Planet B is roided, planet A gets more XP and reduces his travel time further.

Ad nauseum.

This doesn't sound like much fun, as the idea swings the game balance in favour of high-scoring planets with lots of XP. The idea of the XP system is that smaller planets are able to compete with multi-thousand roid value monsters on a slightly evened playing field. Allowing XP to affect ship stats, travel times etc would only make the game even more of an uphill battle for smaller players.
Prawn is offline   Reply With Quote