User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Apr 2005, 21:08   #1
Xain

Xain is on a distinguished road
A battlecalc for the masses

In case you didn't know, there once was a man named s|k who coded a decent battlecalc for round 10.5. This battlecalc was mainly used by close friends etc, who knew him and who enjoyed using the battlecalc. I was one of these people. I was also one of the people who decided to download the source and host it on my own web server.

Round 11 rolled around and I decided to update the calc for the new round. It was much more work than I had anticipated to update only the stats but I persevered and finished it. A few bug fixes later and it was ready to release to the public. One problem was, the thing was still quite ugly, and mostly no one wanted to use it because "it's not the same as good ole Joror's". So I decided that was that, and took it down.

Round 12 I played quite inactively as I was busy with school, so the battlecalc went untouched, laying on my HD waiting for someone to fix it.

When I heard about the news in Round 13 that Ziks were actually going to be stealing again, I thought to myself, I have alot of spare time, and I really want this calc to work. So I took on the daunting task of re-writing 90% of the source(not including the parser) which took me a few days to do. A few bugs arose from the new stealing ships which took some fixes, but after a few late nights I was finally finished. I managed to trim the source down from 160k to 60k in that time as well. I showed a few people the calc to which I got mixed reviews. From "Wow, that's amazing" to "It looks like crap" I realized that I had done something wonderful. I've noticed that with the "original" calc stealing frozen ships doesn't quite work right, but for some reason I've managed to do it in my calc. Don't ask how, it just works.

Long story short, I'm really just here to release the calc to the public and maybe tell you a little story behind it. So here it is, in all it's glory. Some special thanks goto jesterina for some suggestions and such. I'm still open to more suggestions to which you can email me at [email protected].

Enjoy, and have a great round

--Xain
Xain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 21:11   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A battlecalc for the masses

Someone turned me on to that yesterday; it's very nice.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 21:18   #3
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xain
I've noticed that with the "original" calc stealing frozen ships doesn't quite work right, but for some reason I've managed to do it in my calc.
It works. Mostly.

Quote:
Long story short, I'm really just here to release the calc to the public and maybe tell you a little story behind it. So here it is, in all it's glory. Some special thanks goto jesterina for some suggestions and such. I'm still open to more suggestions to which you can email me at [email protected].

Thank you very much, I'm sure the battlecalc will be a much appreciated resource throughout the round.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 21:20   #4
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

nice bcalc m8, nice too see ure back
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 21:32   #5
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I'm convinced s|k and I had it ready in round 10, i'm sure it was the 3rd public bcalc - the 1st being my excel one, the 2nd being the cabeza one (thought that might not have been fully public).

So for obvious reasons this is my favourtie bcalc

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 22:03   #6
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I'm convinced s|k and I had it ready in round 10
You sure? iirc he made us test it when we were in gal together, and that was r10.5 wasn't it?
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 22:24   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
You sure? iirc he made us test it when we were in gal together, and that was r10.5 wasn't it?
can't remember, I try to forget being in a gal with u

maybe we made it in 10.5 becuase cabeza shut down

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Apr 2005, 22:32   #8
alch
Retired

alch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud ofalch has much to be proud of

kal - it was in r10.5 when you were fang, i remember when you came with it to us and i remember when we made s|k quit PA for good :/
Unread 5 Apr 2005, 03:16   #9
Xain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I'm convinced s|k and I had it ready in round 10, i'm sure it was the 3rd public bcalc - the 1st being my excel one, the 2nd being the cabeza one (thought that might not have been fully public).

So for obvious reasons this is my favourtie bcalc
I'm pretty sure that it was made for the first round of the subversion which was round 10.5. But that's just from memory.
Unread 5 Apr 2005, 03:29   #10
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alch
kal - it was in r10.5 when you were fang, i remember when you came with it to us and i remember when we made s|k quit PA for good :/
You guys screwed the winner gal by making s|k delete
Unread 5 Apr 2005, 04:31   #11
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
<3
Unread 5 Apr 2005, 04:42   #12
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve

Did this solves Jester's problem in another thread? The c++ battle engine thing for stealing.
Unread 5 Apr 2005, 07:57   #13
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

When I made s|k quit. After he was 6 digit countered for attempting to send ingal defence to Henck. Memories, memories.
Unread 5 Apr 2005, 10:29   #14
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

Thanks for the wonderful resouce addition to round 13!

-NitinA
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2005, 10:40   #15
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by furssie
Did this solves Jester's problem in another thread? The c++ battle engine thing for stealing.
Yeah, this calc is entirely correct.

Pilkara is updated with the patch I posted, so it should be correct too.

It's just a bit awkward since everything is still built for subverting there.
Unread 6 Apr 2005, 23:56   #16
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

I was wondering if anyone would be releasing the updated bcalc's, or perhaps just allowing people to mirror the other bcalcs.
coffee- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2005, 23:59   #17
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee-
I was wondering if anyone would be releasing the updated bcalc's, or perhaps just allowing people to mirror the other bcalcs.
No, not at all.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 02:17   #18
Xain

I'll probably end up releasing the source for this one as soon as I get all the code cleaned up and commented a bit better.
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 03:16   #19
Anakin
Stealth & Shadows

Anakin is on a distinguished road

You are a gem Xain, a work of art... and surely the most used tool of my round so far

Congratz im fully impressed.
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 14:25   #20
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Xain r0x0r j00
Unread 8 Apr 2005, 11:42   #21
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

CrazySpoon is on a distinguished road

Nice work m8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
CrazySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2005, 23:02   #22
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the option to show the details of the battle, like in the old bcalcs. something like:
Attacker
beetle 1000
mosquito 500
Defender
vsharrak 400
sentinel 400
And with details per initiative:
"Init 1: 1000 beetles stun vsh400, sentinel 400, XXX firepower used, YYY firepower unused."
I hope you get what i mean