User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 14 Apr 2009, 05:52   #1
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about
Angry New Portal & Skins

I understand and appreciate that people have put alot of time and effort into "doing up" the portal, in an attempt to make it more appealing/accessible/user friendly.

On one hand, I think its great that our new owner/PAcrew have put some effort into improving the game. On the other hand, i see the new portal, as it stands right now, as a HUGE step backwards for the game, and its ability to draw in more paying customers/players.

In my opinion, the Portal has gone from being impressive looking, if not slightly annoying to find important information, to what appears to be a 10 year olds interpretation of a "Spaceship," cruising across ones monitor amidst an intergallactic dandruff storm.

Is this the face of Planetarion, with which Fubra is hoping to bring new players/customers to the game? Is there a legitimate belief that this skin will attract new players, as opposed to make PA look cheap and not worth their time?

May i ask, who feels this is a step forward in the future of planetation? Do you feel this is going to be better at attracting new players than previous skins? Would you feel confident that you could open up the Portal, in an attempt to introduce someone new to the game, and not get an instant "Pfft?"

I want PA to flourish as much, if not more than the next person, id love more players and more active ones at that, but in my honest opinion, i feel that this Portal/Skin will have entirely the opposite effect.

I appreciate the time and effort put in, and the attempt to improve the game, i am trying to be constructive but honest, yet i do not feel that this is acceptable. Is it just me? Thoughts?
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 06:59   #2
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold
Re: New Portal & Skins

if im going to be paying for a game, i'd appreciate a little more fun to be put into the portal than this

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 07:03   #3
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

hey, at least they ditched the Planetarjon logo on the portal. i still like it better than that ship though, but at least its being worked on. c'mon guys quit being so negative
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 07:07   #4
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

the only portal only had on real issue, which was hard-to-read text. why change it something like a looks like a blog made in powerpoint?

i appreciate the effort, Pete

<@zpeti> because I do understand that I don't understand the game that well

but maybe you should stick to things you do understand; portal designs clearly arent one of them

(edit: on a more constructive note)

i know at least one person that has offered their services in the development of a new portal design, in fact i've seen the layout and its definitely a step up from what we currently have as our default.

there should be an easier way for people to submit their own takes on how the games image should look, maybe a sub forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.

Last edited by stay_posi; 14 Apr 2009 at 07:16.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 07:24   #5
[JungleMuffin]

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii View Post
hey, at least they ditched the Planetarjon logo on the portal. i still like it better than that ship though, but at least its being worked on. c'mon guys quit being so negative
Zae, i think alot of us are doing our best to not be negative. Considering the material in question, i feel were being pretty damn positive. Tbh the portal is an absolute stinker. You can sugar coat a turd as much as you like, but its still a turd.

Does anyone think its an improvement on the r23 skin?
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 07:46   #6
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JungleMuffin] View Post
Does anyone think its an improvement on the r23 skin?
Not taking the background image into account (i really hope that it's just a temp image) it is an improvement compared to the r23 skin.
Although it appears a bit dull it's much better to read and alot easier on the eye than the insane mix of color the r23 skin had (red, orange, yellow, blue, green in the same design wtf?)

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 08:34   #7
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem! View Post
Not taking the background image into account (i really hope that it's just a temp image) it is an improvement compared to the r23 skin.
Although it appears a bit dull it's much better to read and alot easier on the eye than the insane mix of color the r23 skin had (red, orange, yellow, blue, green in the same design wtf?)
What about eye candy? People may be able to read things alot easier now, compared to r23 skin, but do you think theyd either stick around/not die of laughter long enough to want to?
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 08:48   #8
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What about eye candy? People may be able to read things alot easier now, compared to r23 skin, but do you think theyd either stick around/not die of laughter long enough to want to?
That's why I said change the background pic and change the content boxes + menu's a bit.
There's a big difference between eye candy and just using every color known to man

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 09:29   #9
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

the most inviting intro to a game ive seen online has to be ogames. When i first loaded it up i wanted to give it a go: http://ogame.org/ There isnt a mass of information to start but atleast its easy to find.
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 10:09   #10
Gabriel
Gabba gabba hey hey

Gabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura aboutGabriel has a spectacular aura about

I like the round 23 skin best of all the available ones.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 10:19   #11
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Here we go again. Owners that cant for the love of god get help from the community... Instead we end up with a portal that looks like its made by kindergarten children.

Please Please Please someone sort out something decent rather than the atrocity that is currently showing. MrLobster had a great suggestion up and it can be viewed here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...77#post3167177
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 10:49   #12
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Oh dear. Who the hell do you get to design stuff for Planetarion? Every time you pick anyone to do anything it feels like you select the worst of the bunch instead of people who have a clue.

The portal and skin look far too amateurish and basic. There is nothing which is even slightly appealing about the design, if I was a new player looking around for a game I'd just immediately close the window and switch to something which looked far more exciting.

Could you please get people involved in this game who are actually good at what they do? It feels like you just get some random person who can barely do the job instead of picking people with obvious skills. There are various people who show off their design skills, perhaps you could get some of them involved?
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 10:52   #13
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

What the new Portal is Missing:

*Either a nice Background, showing some galaxys and planets (something to look at and think "cool") or a REAL spaceship and not some stolen gfx from Tractor-Simulator
*updated downtime procedure
*updated dates (who cares about r30 anymore???)
*updated staff page
*in games there should be a HAVOC behind r30 and
speedgame is missing when it started, when it will end, and when the next start is
*both status pages need to be updated aswell, and while your at it rethink if the speedgame should allow alliances with 100 members...if you want more ppl playing speed make it a competetive game pls
*links should be coloured red and not blue, to match the logo, besides red will look way better
*Latest News: why show everyone new that the signups have been delayed?, there is a post about when they start, that should be enough imo (at least on the portal main page)
*What is Planetarion? - still a wall of text hitting you... it needs less text and some added screenshots instead - no one can imagine anything about PA atm, until he played it
*Templates - why we get to choose Templates ? For a Portal ? i mean they all look messy anyhow, remove it
*Top Frame - make Forums and Manual open in a new window pls, so a visitor has an easy way to get back to the portal
*Top Frame - if your not going to flashcode the new portal (why???) at least implement some gfx effects for those links in the top, like mouse hovering and maybe a beep here and there - blow some life into things
*Who´s online - i dont understand this section on a portal tbh, for what we need it ? remove it or replace it showing how many planets online on each server (r31, r30, speed), i dont think anyone cares about how many players are viewing the portal

other then that i think its a step into the right direction, though i can only hope, that the Portal as it is isnt meant to be like that the next 2 years and that the needed changes are done immediately

my 5 cents

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 10:55   #14
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
There's a big difference between eye candy and just using every color known to man
I dont see the problem with using multiple colours on a portal, if the overall effect is pleasing, which i would say the r23 skin definately was.

If your worried by the usability of r23 skin (which i believe had more to do with the layout of it, than the colours,) then im sure the same layout could be applied from the current portal.

Imo, its not just the background where the portal fails, its the quality of the ship"s" ( a single _average_ looking spaceship, copy and pasted a few times,) dull as f*ck colour combinations (remember, ur trying to sell your product with this thing) and not to mention the lack of any detail whatsoever.

For gods sake, ive seen ceilings from a dentists chair with more appeal than this, drill included.
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 11:04   #15
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool View Post
MrLobster had a great suggestion up and it can be viewed here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...77#post3167177
Those skins are a thousand times more appealing than the current ones.

For the love of all things holy, could someone please make an executive decision, throw the current skin to the proverbial sh*t heap, and work something out with Mr Lobster.

Amazing work, overlook it at Planetarions peril.
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 11:16   #16
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Those skins are a thousand times more appealing than the current ones.

For the love of all things holy, could someone please make an executive decision, throw the current skin to the proverbial sh*t heap, and work something out with Mr Lobster.

Amazing work, overlook it at Planetarions peril.
i contacted him before the new design were done, he were gonna do some more work with it and get back to me, but i haven't heard anything since.
I'm guessing he's been busy, which obviously can happen to ppl
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 11:19   #17
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Quote:
I dont see the problem with using multiple colours on a portal, if the overall effect is pleasing, which i would say the r23 skin definately was.
If you find childrens colorbooks pleasing then ofc you'll find the r23 skin good.
I have no problems with the use of color, just have a problem with the overload of colors 1-2 colors + black&white should be enough for almost anything. You can always use certain % of a color if more is needed just to keep it in the same palet.
I do this shit for a living so I think I know what I'm talking about...

Quote:
If your worried by the usability of r23 skin (which i believe had more to do with the layout of it, than the colours,) then im sure the same layout could be applied from the current portal.

Imo, its not just the background where the portal fails, its the quality of the ship"s" ( a single _average_ looking spaceship, copy and pasted a few times,) dull as f*ck colour combinations (remember, ur trying to sell your product with this thing) and not to mention the lack of any detail whatsoever.
I meant the background with the ship included.

You make a good point about trying to sell your product however, personally I believe having the portal as initial page when you visit www.planetarion.com is a bad idea. As long as I can remember the portal hasn't had anything on the frontpage which made me go 'OMG I HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME'. And the biggest problem is content, no new player who ends up on the portal will give a crap about EORC's & update logs...
A splash page with links to signup - manual - portal - forum + some pages with basic info that looks more appealing would be a better idea to have as startpage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper View Post
Could you please get people involved in this game who are actually good at what they do? It feels like you just get some random person who can barely do the job instead of picking people with obvious skills. There are various people who show off their design skills, perhaps you could get some of them involved?
I've volounteered on multiple occasions, pretty sure MrLobster has done the same and I'm willing to bet other people have done it too...

Unread 14 Apr 2009, 13:03   #18
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

What a shame, it's the biggest piece of crap I've seen in a long time (for a professional game i mean) If I didn't know the game I'd run away from it and check the parental settings of my comp in case someone put them on "4 to 6 years old only".
Luckily there is still the 'text only' skin.
It seems like the kid of the owner got a go at the new design, his dad must be so proud.
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 15:10   #19
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
If you find childrens colorbooks pleasing then ofc you'll find the r23 skin good.
I have no problems with the use of color, just have a problem with the overload of colors 1-2 colors + black&white should be enough for almost anything. You can always use certain % of a color if more is needed just to keep it in the same palet.
I do this shit for a living so I think I know what I'm talking about...

I meant the background with the ship included.

You make a good point about trying to sell your product however, personally I believe having the portal as initial page when you visit www.planetarion.com is a bad idea. As long as I can remember the portal hasn't had anything on the frontpage which made me go 'OMG I HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME'. And the biggest problem is content, no new player who ends up on the portal will give a crap about EORC's & update logs...
A splash page with links to signup - manual - portal - forum + some pages with basic info that looks more appealing would be a better idea to have as startpage.

I've volounteered on multiple occasions, pretty sure MrLobster has done the same and I'm willing to bet other people have done it too...
Are you sincerely saying that the current skin is better than the r23 skin?

Yes?No?

If you prefer grey, grey, black with little spots, and more grey, followed by rinse&repeat for a few billion pixels, then i think this is the skin for you. For the rest of us who arent A) colour blind, or B) K9, a text version of Schindler's List, without the moving storyline and great acting, doesnt cut the mustard.

I think id be safe in saying the VAST majority of people prefer any skin to this, and would place the previous skin a mile ahead of the current one.

Alas, i think we must agree to disagree. Each to their own etc.

Edit: I dont quite understand the problem with the colours on the r23 skin. You yourself said 1-2 coulours, complimented by b/w text. From what i can see, thats exactly what that skin looks like. Warm tones, (orange/yellow/red) all very balanced and complimentary to each other for the headers, and cool blueish tones for the menu buttons, with the background black, and text white.

Perhaps im looking at a different skin to you, but the one im looking at fits the exact criteria you propose.

Last edited by [JungleMuffin]; 14 Apr 2009 at 15:26.
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 15:14   #20
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

both are shit

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 16:00   #21
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

please whatever u decide to do, do not remove the round23 skin from templates.. i would really like to continue using it.. thanks
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 16:01   #22
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

ah damn, if u go to login page/signup page then its still the new one :S:S::S:S:S:S:S::S:S:S::S:S
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 16:02   #23
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
MrLobster had a great suggestion up and it can be viewed here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...77#post3167177
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 17:10   #24
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
both are shit
You are D:
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 18:54   #25
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Pete spoke to MrLobster and told me there was an issue with using images from elsewhere.
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 19:09   #26
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

I agree, the current PA portal images are absolutely horrific and the new skin is the worst ive seen yet. That ridiculous 'spaceship' looks more akin to a air conditioning unit than anything flight worthy. Yes, its nice to see people putting effort into the game, but theres clearly alot more talent out there and its really worth devoting some time to the portal as its the first thing people see when signing up and will effect peoples decisions on whether to play or not more than any other factor ingame.

MrLobsters version looks x100 better, if we can get anything even close to that I would be very satisfied and am sure it would attract significantly more players!

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2009, 19:21   #27
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appoco
Pete spoke to MrLobster and told me there was an issue with using images from elsewhere.
That's your answer? Seriously? And everyone in Pa Management is happy with that? I mean, to say I'm astounded doesn't go half far enough. What the **** is wrong with you people?

Actually, on a moments reflection, I suppose I don't really blame you Appoco, you have no financial interest in the game and you already invest a considerable amount of time in other areas, so thank you for that. But if that really is Pete's attitude then what hope is there?

I mean, how it's not *immediately* obvious to someone with an investment in PA that the direction suggested in MrLobster's designs is what the game should be moving towards is beyond me. But it seems Mr Pete is the kind of businessman who can see only problems in opportunity. Although in that regard he's no worse than anyone before him I suppose.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 02:01   #28
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Regardless of the problems with MrLobster's screenshots, who actually decided to go with this round 31 design?

Didn't anything bother criticising the design and the skin? I know that the round 23 skin isn't that appealing and needed replacing, but you've probably spent a fair amount of time implementing something which is equally awful.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 02:05   #29
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The current portal is far worse than the previous one. The previous one just looked ugly. This one reeks of incompetence.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 02:13   #30
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

I concur... the 'space ships' look like graphics straight out of the 1980's.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 03:21   #31
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?...gb679mbvyw.jpg

a suggestion for Round32 (including a free logo)
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 07:17   #32
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Internal Server Error
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 08:46   #33
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

http://users.telenet.be/Veedeejem/PA...rtal-final.jpg

Something I made a year or 2 ago or something, never got used either...

Tbh, I don't know why people like MrLobster, etc etc keep on designing stuff for planetarion, I've given up a long time ago since what you submit never gets used and then they put (pardon my french) crap like that online...

Unread 15 Apr 2009, 10:36   #34
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
http://users.telenet.be/Veedeejem/PA...rtal-final.jpg

Something I made a year or 2 ago or something, never got used either...

Tbh, I don't know why people like MrLobster, etc etc keep on designing stuff for planetarion, I've given up a long time ago since what you submit never gets used and then they put (pardon my french) crap like that online...
I dont think crap is french. Infact, im pretty sure it originates from somewhere in America
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 11:46   #35
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

If someone like Mr Lobster can come up with the design, rather than just dismissing it because external images are used, why don't you a graphics designer (which I'm sure FUBRA have) to design similar images.. You already have half the work cut out for you from the community so it can't be any more expensive than producing the current drizzle.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 13:07   #36
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

Vdm's is alot better than this portal or the previous one as well.

Tbh I dont really understand image copyrights on the internet, and what you can or cannot use. But the helmet, imagine in Lobsters designs even says 'planetarion' on it - I doubt anyone would have a problem with it being used in the game it was intended for...

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 13:14   #37
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyLove View Post
Vdm's is alot better than this portal or the previous one as well.

Tbh I dont really understand image copyrights on the internet, and what you can or cannot use. But the helmet, imagine in Lobsters designs even says 'planetarion' on it - I doubt anyone would have a problem with it being used in the game it was intended for...
My memory may be a bit hazy, but im pretty sure the helmet wased used in PA r2ish? Surely when FUBAR took over from jolt, the images went along with it?
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 13:32   #38
zPeti

zPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura about

I am quite annoyed about the responses I have gotten.

However, I definately agree with some of the criticism.

I like the general design, colours, boxes etc, and I most certainly will not be changing them. As I am glad a designer pointed out in the thread earlier, the r23 skin had way to many colours, it had too much information on it, it was extremely unclear for new players, and very daunting.

I have watched 3-4 people signup with the r23 skin and they had absolutely no idea where to start because of all the information, and then looked at me like wtf is this when they signed in and saw 10 different colours of messages.

I think the general colour design of the new skin is better, and it isn't as daunting.

However, I agree that the image sucks. So does anyone have some suggestions about what should replace it? I have a big batch of planetarion images (some of which are on MrLobsters design), and I could integrate those.

I understand the problem with the image, and I am up for changing it as I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure what the problem is with the actual colours and boxes though.
zPeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 13:32   #39
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyLove View Post
Like junglemuffin said, it was originally designed in r2-3 for planetarion by another volounteer.
Even the r23 portal / skin had an image on it designed by probably the same person. The blueprint of a ship in the top right corner...
Nobody made a point about it then so i don't see why now it would be a problem

Unread 15 Apr 2009, 13:48   #40
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by zPeti View Post
I am quite annoyed about the responses I have gotten.

However, I definately agree with some of the criticism.

I like the general design, colours, boxes etc, and I most certainly will not be changing them. As I am glad a designer pointed out in the thread earlier, the r23 skin had way to many colours, it had too much information on it, it was extremely unclear for new players, and very daunting.

I have watched 3-4 people signup with the r23 skin and they had absolutely no idea where to start because of all the information, and then looked at me like wtf is this when they signed in and saw 10 different colours of messages.

I think the general colour design of the new skin is better, and it isn't as daunting.

However, I agree that the image sucks. So does anyone have some suggestions about what should replace it? I have a big batch of planetarion images (some of which are on MrLobsters design), and I could integrate those.

I understand the problem with the image, and I am up for changing it as I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure what the problem is with the actual colours and boxes though.
First some positive zpeti, finally someone who understands that all that christmas tree junk colourdisplay ingame is so ****ing annoying.

However when it comes to the portal, I was hoping for something a tad bit more than that lump of crap that could be called a ship as a graphic, plus that the logo really does not make any sense. It's a planet getting shattered by the name Planetarion? What does that have to do with the game?

Clean black is my choice. At least that can not fault me.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 13:52   #41
AndroX
xXx

AndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to all

hmm, I agree to the current portal 'graphics' being really really really bad.
But after many many rounds of complaining about it, I found out that the best way to get attention to the team is to create and make things happen yourself.

Perhaps an idea is, that we as community, without interfearance of PAteam, make our own graphical designs. Then we run a poll on these forums. And pick one main design and hand that to PAteam. Which they can either use as main theme, template or base their own designs on. either way, its my opinion that will be the only way to get some decent graphics to planetarion. Something that doesn't make new players run away screaming.

Anyone that is interested in this, I don't mind hosting it all. Im in #planetarion 9 outa 10 times, so give me a pm if you are interetsed in this idea.

It all comes down to the community, it always has.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 13:57   #42
Makhil

Quote:
...I like the general design, colours, boxes etc, and I most certainly will not be changing them...
Worse than being incompetent must be incompetent and proud of it.
I don't know for the others, but I feel a bit of shame at what the design is becoming, I would never advertise nor admit I'm playing this game now.
Luckily PA portal is no use for most of us, and we still have the 'text only' skin. I can live with it as I'll only have to face it at login.
Are you not seeing how damaginfg it is for the image of the game ?
Tell us the truth, you commited it ? That would explain your blindness.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:11   #43
AndroX
xXx

AndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to all

Quote:
I am quite annoyed ........... etc etc
the problem isn't the boxes or the colour - its the way its used in the poor design.
For instance, a true designer would never use backgrounds on his logo/headers.
Most use a transparent PNG so that the logo can be fitted anywhere without interfearing with the actual page-background. (thats only 1 small detail that seperates proffesional designers with wannabe's) PS: the background itself is truely poor quality.

Also, the use of current portal colours - those are not bad, just its too flat. Use more dept in the colour range that is used now (different shades of gray). Makes reading things easier, and it will approach the eye candy some people are talking about.

And for the ship (render) - I wont say its bad, it has potention aslong as someone finishes the design. Add some texture on it. Some details, make it more vivid/alive. As right now it looks like graphics we used back in the late 70's early 80's. Its not something that will 'sell' planetarion to new gamers.

Layout wise, the portal improved 100%. Things are certainly way easier to find now. And I dont need 10 minutes to search for things. Though Im not saying it is perfect, far from that.

Just my thoughts. Experience.

Last edited by AndroX; 15 Apr 2009 at 14:21.
AndroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:14   #44
Donar

Donar is just really niceDonar is just really niceDonar is just really niceDonar is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?...gb679mbvyw.jpg

a suggestion for Round32 (including a free logo)
my god, laughed so hard at that one because it's sad.

i agree with vdm tho, rnd 23 skin is far from appealing, to much going on on one page. Not very appealing, but atleast it's better then round 31.

something more professional should be made. That ship looks like a hairdryer or a staplergun.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:16   #45
zPeti

zPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura about

(just for reference, transparent PNGs were used, but certain members of PATeam complained that it wouldn't work in IE6. Therefore I got the designer to change it to with background images.)
zPeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:17   #46
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

It's one thing to 'like' the way things are - it's another to actually realise that you're competing with games that look as good as the design MrLobster's proposing. The new portal design already looks 10 years old. What's the point in being behind the times when you've got the opportunity to actually do something new and half-decent? There's nothing even vaguely appealing about the new portal, and it certainly wouldn't get me to play the game if I wasn't already doing so. MrLobster's design would.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:19   #47
bell

bell is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the Xandathrri skin in-game. That is how a skin should be, clean uncluttered, good graphics (preferably not made in Paint).

I do like the design put forward by MrLobster, to dism,iss it due to none free graphics is ridiculous, as these can easily be replaced.

There certainl needs to be a Flash landing creen created ASAP, the Ogame homepage pisses on the Planetarion one from a HUUUUUGE height tbh. Or see Eve Online for a clean landing page.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:20   #48
bell

Oh and the forums still have the old banner, which adds to amateurish feel of the game at present.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:20   #49
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

Quote:
(just for reference, transparent PNGs were used, but certain members of PATeam complained that it wouldn't work in IE6. Therefore I got the designer to change it to with background images.)
I'd be shocked to find anyone playing in IE6 that didn't use a text-only skin anyway. Considering IE is now up to v8, and IE6 is simply not found in home setups anymore (unless kept for a specific purpose), support for it is redundant.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:26   #50
bell

IE6 market share was almost 25% for September, 2008 according to Wiki. Down to 18% now though.

TBh i'd withdraw support, it'll be a marginal broswer within a year.