User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:28   #51
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of
Re: New Portal & Skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell View Post
IE6 market share was almost 25% for September, 2008 according to Wiki.

God knows where though
Vast majority of that will be corporate, and anyone that plans to play a game from work on an ancient browser will expect to have to use a text-only skin to avoid problems, as a huge number of popular sites don't work with IE6 nowadays.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:32   #52
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Vast majority of that will be corporate, and anyone that plans to play a game from work on an ancient browser will expect to have to use a text-only skin to avoid problems, as a huge number of popular sites don't work with IE6 nowadays.
you mean there are people at HOME who voluntarily use IE6? kill them now

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:34   #53
Tommy
Sain†s

Tommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud ofTommy has much to be proud of

Somewhere out there there probably is, but I can guarantee with a 100% certainty that they're not the sort of person that wants to play a browser-based strategy game. Drop IE6 support, you'll find you have so much more freedom to abuse the code once you do.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:36   #54
AndroX
xXx

AndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by zPeti View Post
(just for reference, transparent PNGs were used, but certain members of PATeam complained that it wouldn't work in IE6. Therefore I got the designer to change it to with background images.)

If they really are against PNG's - perhaps a transparent gif would be another option.

Anyways, enough about this small detail. As not alot of people even notice this

[Edit: my bad, PNGs were shown - transparency however only worked in IE7 and above)
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:42   #55
Tommy
Sain†s

Yeah, PNGs do display in IE6, but alpha channels aren't supported, meaning you lose neat transparency blending.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:47   #56
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
(just for reference, transparent PNGs were used, but certain members of PATeam complained that it wouldn't work in IE6. Therefore I got the designer to change it to with background images.)
Its VERY easy to get Transparent PNG's to work correctly in IE6 - a tiny bit of JS will do the job.

And I know that the game uses JS so for the portal to not require it wqould be a daft reason.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 14:53   #57
Tommy
Sain†s

Yeah, but it's still a dirty hack to support a dying browser. A few years ago it might've been worth the trouble, but nowadays it's simply not economical to support IE6 at all.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 15:12   #58
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

When a lot of businesses are still on Win 2k / IE6, for a game that really needs to be accessed 24hrs a day, supporting as many browsers as possible helps - its hardly like it takes a lot of effort to include a few lines of JS.

Unread 15 Apr 2009, 15:18   #59
Tommy
Sain†s

It's all a silly conversation anyway - nobody expects sites to look decent in IE6 as it is.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 15:35   #60
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool View Post
First some positive zpeti, finally someone who understands that all that christmas tree junk colourdisplay ingame is so ****ing annoying.

However when it comes to the portal, I was hoping for something a tad bit more than that lump of crap that could be called a ship as a graphic, plus that the logo really does not make any sense. It's a planet getting shattered by the name Planetarion? What does that have to do with the game?

Clean black is my choice. At least that can not fault me.
I actually thought the "Planetarion badge" was the best part. I wasnt really interested in it being a vapour trail or god knows what, but it had colour, a bit and a bot of verve, which the rest of the page sure as FK does not have.

Like it or not, PA is up the creek unless if can bring new players to it. zpeti can chose the same colour scheme as a cremated corpse (kind of ironic in a way,) or something with a bit of flash and whizzbangWTF, which is probably one of the only things thatll save my beloved games arse.

Edit: I like the layout. I think its a fk load better than the previous setup. Surely, as a business man, you know what will attract customers better than I. This is the face of your business. Would you prefer a dirty old man blowing Planetarion into your mouth, or 12 year old girl (lol) whispering Planetarion in your ear?

I like the "Who's Online" section. perhaps itd be a little more positive if what was guests, was now showed as current users, just to make it look as if PA wasnt dead. A better idea, would be to perhaps show total players currently logged in (using the last 2 tick system, to fudge the numbers a bit, to give potential buyers a bit more of a positive outlook.)
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?

Last edited by [JungleMuffin]; 15 Apr 2009 at 15:43.
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 18:54   #61
Mit
Let battle commence

I'll add some more later... but 2 years back I did a mockup for a bid to re-develop the passport / portal.

http://tim.igoe.me.uk/files/Planetarion.png

Something more eye catching and colourful is certainly needed to attract users attention.

Unread 15 Apr 2009, 19:04   #62
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Tbh the skin is basic and to me lacks any sign of attracting players. I mean come on, if you heard of a game in its 31st round, new owners taking over it then came to that home page and saw a page which looked like it had been designed by a 14 year old doing a course work assignment with no knowledge of coding/design what so ever... would you play it?

Even the PA clones have better pages then that. Im sorry but i am not a fan of the new designs.

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 21:14   #63
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
I understand the problem with the image, and I am up for changing it as I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure what the problem is with the actual colours and boxes though.
Grey on grey. Grey on blue. White on grey. Nearly all pages feel like they're using the same colours, apart from headers which are bold and links which are blue.

Use a colour contrast checker, although it's described as a tool for people who aren't able to view sites properly, it can help to show why your choice of colours sucks rather badly. If the colour and brightness difference isn't big enough then it isn't exactly a pleasure for people with perfectly normal eyesight to read.

Get someone to redesign/improve it instead of dismissing the opinions here (which are mostly disappointed). I'm sure the basic layout could stay along the same lines, but the rest of the skin needs work.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 21:25   #64
Tommy
Sain†s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Even the PA clones have better pages then that. Im sorry but i am not a fan of the new designs.
This is a good point - compared with some of its offshoots, PA now looks like a poor imitation.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 23:37   #65
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Good old PA community. Some things never change.

"It's shit"

"It's shit!"

"I could do a better job with my hands tied behind my back!"

"Well I could do a better job with no hands at all!"

Then step up to the plate and ****ing do it then. Or at least give some constructive pointers/advice.

I don't mind the front page. It's clean and crisp and to be honest putting loads of whizzy graphics or Flash there would be deceiving the customer as to what the game is anyway.
Unread 15 Apr 2009, 23:52   #66
TheGoaT
Old Timer

TheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to behold

I see Tomkat sucks at reading.

PS for actual content, anyone who pays money for this game has a right to bitch about its shortcomings. The games been around for 10 years, theres no more excuses left.
Round 19-20: Ascendancy
Round 21: Quit
Round 30: Ascendancy
Round 75-81: DLR
TheGoaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 00:18   #67
Tommy
Sain†s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post
Good old PA community. Some things never change.

"It's shit"

"It's shit!"

"I could do a better job with my hands tied behind my back!"

"Well I could do a better job with no hands at all!"

Then step up to the plate and ****ing do it then. Or at least give some constructive pointers/advice.

I don't mind the front page. It's clean and crisp and to be honest putting loads of whizzy graphics or Flash there would be deceiving the customer as to what the game is anyway.
Several people have offered and indeed done so - this thread has 2 or 3 sample portals in it that knock the stuffing out of the current design. The people designing them are being ignored.
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 01:45   #68
Phil M

Phil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the roughPhil M is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Re: New Portal & Skins

I come back for a new round and it looks hideous.

What is it going to take for you to get a real designer Pete? I mean it's nice to see that you've put some effort into getting a new design up, however it's the same shit we've had to put up from PA Team over the years. It may be a best effort, but you need professional help by people who have a clue on how to make the site look good.

If you're too cheap to pay for a real designer then ask one of the people volunteering here.
Phil M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 07:32   #69
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The graphics (and, i believe, basic design) were, done by fubra's professional designer.
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 07:59   #70
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by appocomaster View Post
the graphics (and, i believe, basic design) were, done by fubra's professional designer.
roflmao
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 08:01   #71
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
The graphics (and, i believe, basic design) were, done by fubra's professional designer.
pete didnt do it himself? or, better question: is pete the 'professional designer'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 08:36   #72
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_posi View Post
pete didnt do it himself? or, better question: is pete the 'professional designer'?
No.
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 08:48   #73
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
not something anyone should be admitting

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 08:53   #74
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Several people have offered and indeed done so - this thread has 2 or 3 sample portals in it that knock the stuffing out of the current design. The people designing them are being ignored.
We are currently in the proces of putting all people who want to help together in a channel, similar setup to AA meetings

Quote:
Who most likely didn't spend alot of time & effort on it because planetarion isn't his top priority...

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 09:36   #75
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Have you informed Fubra about their professional designers drugproblem?
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 10:25   #76
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
http://www.twinhelix.com/css/iepngfix/
You'd have thought that certain members of pateam would, you know, search for a solution instead of complaining that it *just cant be done*.
For that matter, the designer themselves should have known of it
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 10:45   #77
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

As I don't want to be only criticizing, I've made my idea of a simple portal using exactly the same layout but with different graphics:
http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?...q9jg9k2vrf.png
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 10:52   #78
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Way more professional.. I like it.
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 14:09   #79
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
I am quite annoyed about the responses I have gotten.

However, I definately agree with some of the criticism.

I like the general design, colours, boxes etc, and I most certainly will not be changing them. As I am glad a designer pointed out in the thread earlier, the r23 skin had way to many colours, it had too much information on it, it was extremely unclear for new players, and very daunting.

I have watched 3-4 people signup with the r23 skin and they had absolutely no idea where to start because of all the information, and then looked at me like wtf is this when they signed in and saw 10 different colours of messages.

I think the general colour design of the new skin is better, and it isn't as daunting.

However, I agree that the image sucks. So does anyone have some suggestions about what should replace it? I have a big batch of planetarion images (some of which are on MrLobsters design), and I could integrate those.

I understand the problem with the image, and I am up for changing it as I appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure what the problem is with the actual colours and boxes though.
well as said before i like the direction this is going, however i suggested some changes
to be found here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showpo...2&postcount=13

additional

i think the boxes should all be designed the same (like the Menu and Bulletin ones)
cause those colours look better and the overall look would be much better with 1 design instead of 2

the top frame buttons, need 1) the same layout then the boxes (again like Menu and Bulletin) and 2) some more hovering effect then just underlining)
i´d wish to see a flash designed topframe tbh

the spaceship is totally crap, think thats obvious by now

there is 3 options imo.
A) no spaceship and just a background
similiar to one of those:
http://www.eubaumgartner.ch/images/planeten1.jpg
http://www.planetarium-hamburg.de/fi...aneten_003.jpg
http://www.gratis-foto.eu/data/media...en_gruen_1.jpg

those suggestions i found in 2 minutes, they are not the ones i´d choose, they are just to point out what i mean

B) a spaceship
something cool pls and no tractor without tyres

c) both A and B combined

aswell the logo is crap (sorry) and it should be further on the left
while Planetarion should be written bigger (so the first you get to see is the logo and the name)

regarding those graphics (if your unsure if you can use old PA stuff)

why not have a competition, or 3 ones

get ppl to design
a logo
a background
a spaceship
in like 2 weeks

then have the community vote and the winner gets a free credit in each category
ofc ppl would have to agree that their gfx may be used by Fubra/Planetarion

this way you 1) get some better pics, i am pretty sure there is some real cracks out there and 2) you have the community take part in the process of the new PA

in germany you would say you catch two flies in one go

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"

Last edited by M0RPH3US; 16 Apr 2009 at 14:25.
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 14:12   #80
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
As I don't want to be only criticizing, I've made my idea of a simple portal using exactly the same layout but with different graphics:
http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?...q9jg9k2vrf.png
don´t like the Planetarion Part on the top of the page, other then that it looks real good

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 14:33   #81
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Appoco able to keep us updated on what, if anything is being done?
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 16:06   #82
best22

best22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0RPH3US View Post
in germany you would say you catch two flies in one go
best22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 16:24   #83
Makhil

in France we would say you make two hits with 1 stone
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 16:25   #84
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Or Kill 2 birds with one stone

Unread 16 Apr 2009, 19:55   #85
Greendog
Royal Cheese Inspector

Greendog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?...gb679mbvyw.jpg

a suggestion for Round32 (including a free logo)
Very nice. It needs more Ozzy Ozbourne though. Perhaps put him in the Pilot's seat.

Tbh, my first impression of the portal was "Oh, that is different." I was/am glad that it is clearer to read but I prefered the 'black' one. Mr Lobster's efforts are fantastic and I believe that something along his ideas are the way forward. The pages are clear to read and the plain to see advice would help newcomers settle into the game.

P.s. The new portal looks like most of the lame Facebook apps. Perhaps there is a link....
Rd 31: Pilot Officer of The Duxford Wing 1:7:10 [F-Crew]
Rd 32: Question of Time 9:9:8 [Violent Realm]
Rd 33: Daydreams of Being a Cylon 8:3:7 [F-Crew]
Rd 34: 25ft Tall Dog of Calvins imagination 4:9:11 [F-Crew]
Rd 35: Teh return of of Teh Dog 8:6:7 [F-Crew]
Greendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2009, 23:11   #86
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendog View Post
P.s. The new portal looks like most of the lame Facebook apps. Perhaps there is a link....
try www.planetarion.com there's your link right there.

Unread 17 Apr 2009, 00:55   #87
Greendog
Royal Cheese Inspector

Greendog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy View Post
try www.planetarion.com there's your link right there.
I never know how to handle you. That is probably why I love you Ent!
Rd 31: Pilot Officer of The Duxford Wing 1:7:10 [F-Crew]
Rd 32: Question of Time 9:9:8 [Violent Realm]
Rd 33: Daydreams of Being a Cylon 8:3:7 [F-Crew]
Rd 34: 25ft Tall Dog of Calvins imagination 4:9:11 [F-Crew]
Rd 35: Teh return of of Teh Dog 8:6:7 [F-Crew]
Greendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 08:50   #88
tobbe

tobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to behold

Ok, i gotta say i was comming around to "ok ill accept this" with the new skin.
Untill i signed up!
This wanted me to cut my wrist!
HOW can potentional new players wanna play the game when the overview page looks like a christmasthree ?
Get ur shit together and change colours on the messages, its barely readable!

VisioN Forever!
tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 08:54   #89
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah, I'd have to say the Message of the Day thing is ****ing retarded. At most have 1 or 2 genuinely important things written there, otherwise display them somewhere else. Personally I'd go for round start (because you want them to be reminded of this whenever they login) and the fact that stats and governments aren't final (so people realise this and don't bitch at you if they choose now and get ****ed later). Everything else can be dealt with elsewhere.

Edit: I'd also try and find a way of making them stand out without looking completely ****ing obnoxious. White text maybe? Depends on the backgrounds I guess and I haven't changed off r6-9 xan in forever
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 11:59   #90
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

Text only skin somebody please please?
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 15:46   #91
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobbe View Post
Ok, i gotta say i was comming around to "ok ill accept this" with the new skin.
Untill i signed up!
This wanted me to cut my wrist!
HOW can potentional new players wanna play the game when the overview page looks like a christmasthree ?
Get ur shit together and change colours on the messages, its barely readable!
Absolutely concurred and I also mentioned this earlier in this thread. I am sick to death of that thing!
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 18:52   #92
zPeti

zPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura aboutzPeti has a spectacular aura about

We are in the process of redoing the ship images, based on some existing Planetarion images.

After that I will get the designer to design a much better design, based more around the requirements here.
I guess I was very focused on reducing colours and content and making the design clearer, and I hit the other side of the dart board where it got too boring and gray.

I appreciate the input and will do my best to get a better design up.
zPeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:03   #93
Tommy
Sain†s

Now that's all we wanted to hear. Hooray for Pete, a team member that actually listens!
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 19:44   #94
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'm equal parts surprised and happy to see this. There's been some very blunt criticism in this thread and I can't imagine it was easy to take. The kind of criticism that in the past has been ignored because it's so much easier to do so than to be pro-active. Kudos for rising above.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 20:03   #95
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Actually I have to admit that the way feedback was presented was not necessarily nice. However, it is how most people react on these forums when they do not like something.

Personally I am happy to see that things take a change, and I hope it won't stop with the portal as it happened with Jolt's take-over.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 20:35   #96
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
Actually I have to admit that the way feedback was presented was not necessarily nice. However, it is how most people react on these forums when they do not like something.

Personally I am happy to see that things take a change, and I hope it won't stop with the portal as it happened with Jolt's take-over.
Not everyone who is unhappy with a product they've bought adopts the nice guy attitude, but i suppose some people come across as being blunt and rude, but when you're just trying to get across your frustration at yet another failed attempt it leaks into your words.

Unread 17 Apr 2009, 20:39   #97
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Everyone's sick and tired of lack of output from owners (past not necessarily present), hence the rather blunt responses.

I'm sure Pete can fix things as he's responded to the criticism with enthusiasm despite the shit comments. Obviously it's just going to take time.

I honestly think we have such a large community of developers that for non game related things (ie the portal) you should really take help from us. If people can be bothered to design a new portal and post screenshots as suggestions, then they're obviously going to be willing to get involved in the implementation of their ideas. Plus it'll speed up the process no-end and keep costs down, how is that not a winner? These copyright issues are petty, images can be replaced with others.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 20:48   #98
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy View Post
Not everyone who is unhappy with a product they've bought adopts the nice guy attitude, but i suppose some people come across as being blunt and rude, but when you're just trying to get across your frustration at yet another failed attempt it leaks into your words.
Perfectly understandable. On the other hand, this was Pete's first change. And it was a pretty radical one. So yeah, he should get his fair shot of attempts when approaching things.

Overall it shows that the man is actually not afraid of taking steps into the direction he thinks that is correct - and that is something this game has been lacking since ages.
Unread 17 Apr 2009, 22:12   #99
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
Overall it shows that the man is actually not afraid of taking steps into the direction he thinks that is correct - and that is something this game has been lacking since ages.
Very much agreed.

Unread 18 Apr 2009, 03:53   #100
Makhil

Next step: the 'logo'