User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 6 Jun 2006, 15:33   #1
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
[UK] Broadband / Telephone packages

Looking around for decent Broadband / Telephone packages for parents so I thought Id come to the knowledgeable land of GD. At the moment there on 1mb broadband but dont use it fully, so 512k would be ok and they have a telephone package which gives them free phonecalls to UK landlines day / night / weekend.

Any decent ones out there or ones to avoid?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 15:37   #2
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [UK] Broadband / Telephone packages

carphone warehouse are meant to be doing really well at the moment for broadband and phone package.
£22 a month gives unlimited free landline calls and free broadband I think.
Although you'd have to pay BT for the line rental as well (£11 a month).

Someone recommended Bulldog once... but dunno anything about them.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 15:39   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bulldog = bad.

My house is with Bulldog for its 8mbit broadband (oops, up to 8 mbit of course). Appalling service, they're totally unable to handle their number of customers. And they screw up our bills and account details every single month. We won't be staying with them when we move house next year.
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 16:08   #4
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ive been with BT in my parents house and my house last year. I dont have a single bad word to say about them. Quick service, great customer service. They upgraded us from a 1mb package to a 2mb package. The gave my mum a free wireless router and keeps upgrading her speed for free. You pay maybe 2-3 quid more a month but its totally worth it for peace of mind imo.
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 16:18   #5
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telewest.co.uk/websales/product.do?id=8580. Check your regional availability though.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 16:31   #6
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

My parents are with onetel, they have a number of combiened phone/net packages. The one my parents are with is the Total package which is 2mb broadband, and all calls to UK 01/02 are free all the time. This costs £29.99

The broadband service is very reliable, and never had any problems with the customer service

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 16:55   #7
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Ntl, from what I heard off my best mate's nephew, are ace.

Broadband, Digital TV and Telephone. All at a decent price. http://www.ntl.com/

I'm not on it though (although my mum is thinking of going with Telewest). I pay for my internet. My parents pay everything else.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 18:43   #8
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

We were gonna get the uber ntl package (phone, internet, sky tv) because we thought 'if we get it all from one supplier it'll be cheaper'.

Plus, we already had an ntl line.

They quoted us some rediculously large amount for them all.

Result? Reconnected to BT. Internet by Virgin. Tv by Sky.

Funnily enough, we requoted with ntl shortly after and their costs weren't so rediculously high.

Strange that one

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 18:57   #9
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd definitely avoid Bulldog, don't even consider them. I personally find NTL to be a pain in the arse but if you're one of the lucky ones that don't have to deal with their customer service department, all is well.

ADSL2 availability is getting better and better, (https://www.bethere.co.uk/) you do need to be on this list to get it though (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ll...ype=be&page=1). It's pretty competitive despite the fact they probably aren't that bothered about speed or contention ratios.

For ADSL i'd suggest Plus.net.
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 19:49   #10
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

NTL are gay but predictable, you can genuinely sign up, moan after a few months that Talk Talk is cheaper, they'll give you a free +512kb-1mb on your connection if you pass certain criteria.

And the customer service's get better the second you get diverted back to England (and you can request this).
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 19:58   #11
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

My parents have the talktalk one from the Carphone Warehouse, which takes them a while to get up and running (demand has been very high as it has been featured on a few moneysaving websites) but once it is you get all phonecalls free (any time, any distance, even international), and up to 8mb broadband with a 40Gb a month allowance for (usually) £20.99. If you arent in an area they can supply at that price (like my parents) then it is (I think) £29.99. This is all you pay - no line rental to BT - Talktalk take over the ownership of your BT line and they pay BT from the £20.99 you pay them. Given the cheapest line rental now is £11 a month, thats a good broadband package and all the free calls you could want for £9.99 a month.

It certainly seems to be a very, very good deal. I spent some time looking at the small print when I went to see my parents cause it seemed too good to be true. Aside from an 18 month minimum contract, it all seems as good as it looks.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 20:47   #12
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Do people actually use landlines these days?

I cant remember the last time I used mine
Unread 6 Jun 2006, 21:01   #13
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The last time i heard a landline go off i accused someone of having a shit ringtone

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 07:36   #14
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

I know this thread is almost a month old but...

Orange are now offering broadband where if you have a £30/month orange mobile contract you can get free broadband (this is capped at 2GB/month)

however, you can pay either £6 or £10/month extra(cant remember which, ad in the paper this week said £6, but when I called them up last week they told me £10) and you then get unlimited broadband, free calls to 01/02 numbers 24/7 and free calls to orange mobiles again 24/7.

So basicly for £40/month you get mobile/unlimited broadband/free calls to 01/02 numbers/free calls to orange mobiles, and also towards the end of the year they will be offering the landline line rental as well (cheaper then BT do it)

Orange took over Wanadoo for those who didnt know.

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 07:41   #15
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Ive been with BT in my parents house and my house last year. I dont have a single bad word to say about them. Quick service, great customer service. They upgraded us from a 1mb package to a 2mb package. The gave my mum a free wireless router and keeps upgrading her speed for free. You pay maybe 2-3 quid more a month but its totally worth it for peace of mind imo.
ill agree with that ^^

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 07:51   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

We've not had any problems with Bulldog from a technical point of view (usually fast, stable connection which hopefully will be put up to 16mbit next week) but their customer service has an accurate reputation for shitness.

Having said that, they're not taking any more residential customers from tomorrow, so if you want to place an order then you'll need to do it today.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 08:08   #17
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I have a friend that works in ntl. he's helping to restructure their support department so they can deal with the backlog of issues before outsourcing it all to a company that actually trains people. Someone was dead for like, 2 years and the lawyer sent a letter each month saying it was so and he was still being billed for internet.
Unread 30 Jun 2006, 08:58   #18
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
We've not had any problems with Bulldog from a technical point of view (usually fast, stable connection which hopefully will be put up to 16mbit next week) but their customer service has an accurate reputation for shitness.

Having said that, they're not taking any more residential customers from tomorrow, so if you want to place an order then you'll need to do it today.
I wish I could say the same about our connection, which maxes out at 55kb/s up and 110kb/s down (it's an up to 8mbit connection). Our area can't actually support anything above 2mbit, and the connection usually runs at around two-thirds of that