User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Jun 2006, 01:04   #1
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Hd-tv

Looking to buy one by Xmas since I'll be getting a PS3 by November.

What is it I need to look for in a HD-TV?

Ideally I'm looking at something between 21" to 25" and something really cheap ie, not a Sony or something equally premium.

Thank you for your help.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.

Last edited by Blastoderm; 17 Jun 2006 at 01:22.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 02:49   #2
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Hd-tv

To be honest I wish I could help, but I cant. My dad just bought the sony bravia, I cant see any difference in quality even when he puts say the football on HD but im assuming it will look awesome in the future. My dad paid just over a £1000 for his and most HD tvs I know arent cheap.

A question. why do you need HD for the ps3?

Even if you do wait until xmas or just after and I expect cheaper HD tvs to be ought.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 05:24   #3
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't see the point in HD TV's. I generally can't tell the difference when looking at them in the store, in fact the larger screens always look terribly in need of anti-aliasing. Plus, there's not a lot of content out there that is High definition, DVD's aren't, and the blue ray drive to come out this month? costs $1500 and there's like only a few things comming out on it.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 09:18   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Plus, there's not a lot of content out there that is High definition, DVD's aren't, and the blue ray drive to come out this month? costs $1500 and there's like only a few things comming out on it.
For one thing, all of the next gen consoles are HD compatible. Secondly, the PS3 has a blue ray drive. Thirdly, that $1500 drive? That's a Blu-Ray writer.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 09:35   #5
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

There is a difference. I saw a display in a shop with some HD film on an HD TV and the main thing i noticed was the fact the picture was incredibly sharp and precise. Theres no bluriness in the background etc, its all focused in.

Its apparently as big a step as VHS -> DVD
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 10:35   #6
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Looking to buy one by Xmas since I'll be getting a PS3 by November.

What is it I need to look for in a HD-TV?

Ideally I'm looking at something between 21" to 25" and something really cheap ie, not a Sony or something equally premium.

Thank you for your help.
Dude, you work on TCR.

If you havent sorted out a substantial discount in at least 3 of the electronics shops along there you are doing something wrong.

I have never worked on TCR but I still walk in the Sony shop or Gultronics or wherever and get items for pretty close to cost.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 11:13   #7
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Dude, you work on TCR.

If you havent sorted out a substantial discount in at least 3 of the electronics shops along there you are doing something wrong.

I have never worked on TCR but I still walk in the Sony shop or Gultronics or wherever and get items for pretty close to cost.
I can get discounts in the Sony Galleria but it's still ****ing expensive.

As for the other shops, well it's a very small discount.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 13:11   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

I don't know if you watched BBC1 all of this week but from 9am til 10am this Dominic guy was doing a series called "Don't get Done, Get Dominic".

Anyway, the main part of it is irrelevant but everyday he stopped someone in the street who was shopping for something and promised to save huge bargains.

What applies is that someone wanted a HDTV Plasma screen - he managed to knock down a Samsung 32" one brand new on the market from £1500 down to £1150/120 with a free wall bracket.

His tactics were simply haggling with the guy at the shop, saying you're willing to pay with cash right there and then and when the guy says he can't go any lower that's when you request to speak to the manager of the shop - he called it getting two employers to have a price war with each other.

When you've got the lowest price, ask for a freebie. He also suggested you say "well the shop down there offered so and so".

The other line that works is "well I've come here because I want to support local business. I could just as easily get it for cheaper on the internet but I don't want to do that and this way everyone's a winner"

Hope that helps.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 13:34   #9
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

HD TV's are going to get cheaper. Just wait a few months, and they will drop in price before xmas. Just like every other piece of electronics.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 13:50   #10
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
To be honest I wish I could help, but I cant. My dad just bought the sony bravia, I cant see any difference in quality even when he puts say the football on HD but im assuming it will look awesome in the future. My dad paid just over a £1000 for his and most HD tvs I know arent cheap.

A question. why do you need HD for the ps3?

Even if you do wait until xmas or just after and I expect cheaper HD tvs to be ought.
That's because you can't just buy a HDTV and expect instant better quality. If you've got Sky you need to get the Sky HD box, DVDs you need a HD DVD player. If you've just got terresteral, you should've saved your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
For one thing, all of the next gen consoles are HD compatible.
Not all the next-gen consoles are HD compatible
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 14:04   #11
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
That's because you can't just buy a HDTV and expect instant better quality. If you've got Sky you need to get the Sky HD box,
Which he got with the tv
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 14:17   #12
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Which he got with the tv
ah right, ok
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 23:02   #13
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I wouldn't bother with anything below 26" either. The manufactuers dont seem to think theres much of a market for anything below 26" and as such they dont produce many of them and hence the panels are more expansive in those sizes which sees you pay a fairly hefy subsidy on them

So as long as the size isnt a real issue I would make sure you dont look lower than 26"
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 00:31   #14
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
That's because you can't just buy a HDTV and expect instant better quality. If you've got Sky you need to get the Sky HD box, DVDs you need a HD DVD player. If you've just got terresteral, you should've saved your money.
Or if Blu Ray wins then it's Blu Ray DVD players (which I doubt because Sony has flopped with battles in the past).

The thing is, in a couple of years time, our TV shows will be in HD so I might as well prepare myself.

Quote:
Not all the next-gen consoles are HD compatible
Umm... According to Sony, most of their PS3 games will be so.

This is why I'm getting HD-TV. For the PS3 gaming experience and for that Blu Ray DVD thing. Everything will be in HD baby!

P.S. I just found out that North America has moved from analogue TV to HD-TV.... Didn't even bother with digital TV.
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 10:33   #15
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Umm... According to Sony, most of their PS3 games will be so.
I would imagine most wont be, the average joe is going to plump for the cheap version of the console which lacks the HDMI connector thus wont really be HD compatable

Quote:
P.S. I just found out that North America has moved from analogue TV to HD-TV.... Didn't even bother with digital TV.
An Analogue signal can produce a high quality image with the problem simply being the bandwith required to send them in an analogue signal. While Europe generally decided to sort the bandwith out first and get digital rolled out and then HD, the states decided to take the other route and rolled out HD and then digital. In the long run Europes system will probally be the smarter move froma business sense as it will have a more cost effective delivery method in place to most of the country before HD TV and DVD's get anywhere near being mainstream
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 11:05   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I would imagine most wont be, the average joe is going to plump for the cheap version of the console which lacks the HDMI connector thus wont really be HD compatable
I very much doubt that would affect things. Most games are going to be produced with HD in mind - even if 70% (say) of PS3's sold are going be without HDMI (and that also seems pretty unlikely - remember you've got to factor in price drops through the consoles lifespan). Admittedly I'm no expert on this matter.

In general, I don't see the fuss with HD. We have a pretty decent HD projector, and watching Lost / Battlestar / etc in HD has been fairly nice as has XBox 360 gaming. But I still wouldn't bother shelling out a lot of money for that. If you have to get a new telly anyway then sure. But especially on a 21" I don't see the point - unless you're sitting 6 inches away or you have ninja vision I doubt you're really going to get much of a benefit.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2006, 23:55   #17
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Sorry but the PS3 systems that will be sold in the UK are the premium models with the HDMI connector. The cheaper models will not be released until a long while later (probably 2nd or 3rd quarter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
But especially on a 21" I don't see the point - unless you're sitting 6 inches away or you have ninja vision I doubt you're really going to get much of a benefit.
The only reason I don't perhaps want to go for anything bigger that 28" is because I want to put it in my bedroom and I don't have the biggest bedroom in the world.
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 00:22   #18
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Sorry but the PS3 systems that will be sold in the UK are the premium models with the HDMI connector. The cheaper models will not be released until a long while later (probably 2nd or 3rd quarter).d.
Actually what the head of sony UK said was

Quote:
"The lower-end 20Gb version of PlayStation 3 has no WiFi, no HDMI, and none of the other slots in it, so it's... more likely that we will only launch the 60GB version."
That doesnt rule our the cheaper release and lets be honest the current price of £425 is going to kill the uptake of the ps3 playing a major part in making Blueray the dominate Hidef media its going to be vital for them to get PS3's into peoples homes

It makes a lot more business sense to have the cheaper version out on release so they get a market share and hen force people to have to "double dip". By the time people need to double dip the Pemuim package would have fallen to a more resonable amount and sony will be well in pocket.
The Farnborough Crew