User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Nov 2008, 23:54   #1
Kenny

english debate

Ok, after drawing a blank in an argument elsewhere, in a debate involving grammar... there doesn't seem to be a general concensus leaning one way or t'other.

There's a pic, on facebook, with the caption "Laura and I". The first comment on said picture is "That should be "Laura and me" by the way :P" - to which I reply "Only in that it shouldn't".

While I realise the pitfalls of arguing over grammar on the internet, I was wondering if the enlightened spirits of Planetarion GD could shed some light as to whether it should be "Laura and I" or "Laura and me"...
Unread 1 Nov 2008, 23:56   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: english debate

there is no one answer.

both "laura and I" and "laura and me" are correct depending on the circumstances

EDIT- if you just refer to the correct grammar for a captioning a photgraph then it is "laura & me" or "me & laura"
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 02:30   #3
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

"I" is a subject pronoun and refers to a person performing an action.

"Me" is an object pronoun and refers to the subject of an action.

Two quick examples of the difference would be:
Kenny and I walked to the shop.
Yahwe told Kenny and me to walk to the shop.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Nov 2008, 21:53   #4
alastair18

alastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the roughalastair18 is a jewel in the rough

To determine when you should use "me" and when you should use "I" imagine the sentence without the other person in it and use what would be used there.

For example, you would say:
"This is a picture of me."
Therefore you say:
"This is a picture of Laura and me."

similarly:
"I walked to the shop."
and:
"Kenny and I walked to the shop."

It should (hopefully) be obvious what is the correct term to use in the first sentence of each example.
alastair18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2008, 10:12   #5
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

So what about Myself and Laura ?
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Nov 2008, 10:13   #6
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith View Post
So what about Myself and Laura ?
what about you and laura?

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote