User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 3 Mar 2008, 00:36   #1
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
State of planetarion, round 25

Well, I don't know about you, but I had some great fun, despite being inactive. There are four things I'd like to bring up though.

1) alliance balance. People complain about how the new alliances are poor: that's right, but I prefer it this way. PA is a game and it's nice to be able to compete without having to be online 24/7. The Rock/xVx war was one of the most entertaining things this round and it wouldn't have been possible had 1up or eX been sitting on top. I prefer balance, and I'd love to see a return to propaganda and patriotic galbanners.

2) Ship stats. I like them; the return to multitargetting is great and except for cath (who're shit and i've suggested improvements already) it allows anyone to pick a race and stand a chance. I still think some attack fleets need improving though. And in the long run, I think it might be worth trying to add more ships to each race so that there isn't a single blueprint that every planet builds, but that may be too hard to balance.

3) Galaxy setup. Kenny commented earlier that galaxies are too large and I now agree with him. From an alliance player's PoV, it is now too hard to prosecute a proper war because there are so many ingal planets and so much ingal def. If Planetarion is meant to be about competing alliances, then smaller galaxies or ally-dominated galaxies would be methods to improve this. I'd be in favour of smaller gals, but I've not heard arguments in favour of other approaches yet.

4) round length; I like the shorter round and it obviously worked out well for me. But it could prove counterproductive in future; there was a period where the top allies balanced off against each oher, and there was little engagement because attacking on your own left yourself exposed. This discourages risk, although it does tend to prevent awful stagnation.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 00:49   #2
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: State of planetarion, round 25

3) How about no galaxies at all?
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 01:13   #3
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
I'd love to see a return to propaganda and patriotic galbanners.

As I returned to PA this round i found the alliance colours one of the things I missed most, their lack seems to me to show the cowardice of the alliances afraid to stand up and show where they are, intel seems to dominate the game more than it used to, tho I might be looking at the past through rose tinted glasses.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 01:19   #4
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B5]Londo
As I returned to PA this round i found the alliance colours one of the things I missed most, their lack seems to me to show the cowardice of the alliances afraid to stand up and show where they are, intel seems to dominate the game more than it used to, tho I might be looking at the past through rose tinted glasses.
I remember you asking for some scans on the LAST day of the round, and in exchange for doing the I asked you what your coords were. You didn't tell me. On the LAST day of the round. You should have shown your colors being subh's top planet.
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 01:46   #5
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

U knew my co-ords anyway I got those scans ultimately, and since I already had 25 fleets in 6 waves incoming it was pretty irrelevant, so Y I didnt tell U I have no clue. Most of the round I took the attitude that no-one would be bothered to make a serious attempt to bring down Subhs top planet cos no-one cares bout Subh, so when ND did last day then told me I was just a random choice of target I was not happy at all. It didnt cost me much in ranks I dont think tho, 1 or 2 at most. (oh and as a Subh I had a right to be afraid - I dont get any def )
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 02:06   #6
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

For ages I've maintained that the two biggest obstacles to accessibility for the new player in this game are the scan system and the, frankly bullshit, fakenicking/limiting intelligence environment perpetuated by the veteran players and alliances. I don't think I'm too far off in saying that most browser-based games make players pin their colours to the mast, so to speak.

From a personal point of view I would rather play a straight up wargame than the mix of subterfuge and guerrilla warfare that currently exists. It is surely preferable to even the playing field between the veteran with unlimited intelligence from PT200 and the new player who never has a hope of knowing what's actually going on, who is affiliated with who and so on.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 03:20   #7
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B5]Londo
U knew my co-ords anyway I got those scans ultimately, and since I already had 25 fleets in 6 waves incoming it was pretty irrelevant, so Y I didnt tell U I have no clue. Most of the round I took the attitude that no-one would be bothered to make a serious attempt to bring down Subhs top planet cos no-one cares bout Subh, so when ND did last day then told me I was just a random choice of target I was not happy at all. It didnt cost me much in ranks I dont think tho, 1 or 2 at most. (oh and as a Subh I had a right to be afraid - I dont get any def )
Well I actually just checked who the planets you wanted scans of were and asked them who they were attacking; you were the common set of coordinates. And you being targeted had nothing to do with you being subh's top planet, but everything to do with you being a fat, easy(ish) target in a weak(ish) galaxy. But congrats for surviving
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 04:15   #8
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
3) Galaxy setup.
How would you propose we change them? Otherwise I pretty much agree with everything you said.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 08:33   #9
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra
And you being targeted had nothing to do with you being subh's top planet,
yes I kno thats Y I was annoyed .... the gal was 6th btw, that sort of Incs on D3coy and none of em would have gone through.
back on topic, I would have happily traded anonymity for a big Subh banner but as it was an xVx / asc gal and as a random my influence was marginal, part of the difficulty is the sheer number of allys represented in a gal makes for a confused banner
A lot of ppl dont have access to intel and the whole spy/intel system is therefore quite annoying.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 09:22   #10
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
2) Ship stats. I like them; the return to multitargetting is great and except for cath (who're shit and i've suggested improvements already) it allows anyone to pick a race and stand a chance. I still think some attack fleets need improving though. And in the long run, I think it might be worth trying to add more ships to each race so that there isn't a single blueprint that every planet builds, but that may be too hard to balance.
yeh I think it being difficult to balance is the main problem. I agree that I like Multi targeting. However I think that stats do need quite abit of changing as there are a few attack fleets that are practically useless, particularly xan fi, etd Cr, and ter de, none of which can attack on their own as it is as they are too easy to defend against. Also stats need changing to keep the players on their toes and to keep things interesting, what would be the point in playing the same thing over and over. So due to that I am up for whatever radical changes may well be thrown at us (unfortunatly not likely), it might not work but makes things more interesting to have to do different things each round.
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 10:01   #11
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

to address gal setup :

a) max cap of 10 people in a gal
b) reduce buddy pack size in regards to gal size (say 3 man b'pack in a 10 man gal)

10 man gals = more gals* = less double booking

* there would be 159 in this round vs the 92 that existed
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 14:26   #12
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
For ages I've maintained that the two biggest obstacles to accessibility for the new player in this game are the scan system and the, frankly bullshit, fakenicking/limiting intelligence environment perpetuated by the veteran players and alliances. I don't think I'm too far off in saying that most browser-based games make players pin their colours to the mast, so to speak.

From a personal point of view I would rather play a straight up wargame than the mix of subterfuge and guerrilla warfare that currently exists. It is surely preferable to even the playing field between the veteran with unlimited intelligence from PT200 and the new player who never has a hope of knowing what's actually going on, who is affiliated with who and so on.
I full heartedly agree with you. I think that the secrecy needs to be removed from the game. Some might still chose to fakenick, but there should be possible ingame to see what alliance a planet belonged too. That would most likely also encourage people without a tag to seek one.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 14:32   #13
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
to address gal setup :

a) max cap of 10 people in a gal
b) reduce buddy pack size in regards to gal size (say 3 man b'pack in a 10 man gal)
Reduce buddy pack sizes and you have civil war again with people getting upset and not playing and so on and on and on. No point in a solution that upsets more people than it pleases. If it was me I'd have 10-12 man galaxies, 5-6 man BP's and a simple algorithm for creating and filling new galaxies as necessary. This would probably involve some kind of delay in exiling, with perhaps 4 fixed times in the day when (self)exiled planets (or disbanded galaxies) are re-introduced to the universe. This helps limit the formation of super-galaxies through exiling whilst still achieving all the goals of the current system and allowing for fixed size galaxies which isn't possible right now because of galaxy disbandment gradually reducing the number of available gals from PT36 onwards.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 14:55   #14
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Galaxy size & structure could be improved by alliances acting together. If all of the t10 allies guaranteed 12 buddypacks each, and ranks 11-14 guaranteed 5 bps each we'd have 140 galaxies, which I think would be more fun. However, this seems unlikely and unwieldy. So if people agree with Kenny's argument that we need more, smaller galaxies (like I do now), PA team intervention could be justified. One suggestion is basing galaxy size on buddypack size. Ranging from gals of 5 bp, 3 random to 0 bp 12 random for example.

As for scans, I agree with achilles about the reliance on ally scanners being a major obstacle for new players. A possible route is to abolish scanning from the tech tree but retain amps and distorters. This would drastically alter early game dynamics and if this is considered inappropriate, other restrictions could be put in place to prevent this. For example, limiting scanning power per tick based on number of amps you have (in a similar method to covop stealth), only allowing high tech scans once you have over 25% amps or something similar. This would allow newer players to engage more but give dedicated scanners an advantage.

EDIT: Oh, and I still think etraides have too many ship names ending in 'er' or 'or'. It's boring. I'd consider something like merchant-vendor-dealer-broker-magnate-tycoon-oligarch.

Last edited by Gate; 3 Mar 2008 at 15:02.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 15:02   #15
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I d like a 100% random round for a change...

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 15:04   #16
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster
I d like a 100% random round for a change...
Why? What do you think it would add?

I like the idea of playing in galaxies with my allies so I'd like to see more of that, which means keeping the buddypack thing.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 15:09   #17
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Why? What do you think it would add?

I like the idea of playing in galaxies with my allies so I'd like to see more of that, which means keeping the buddypack thing.
A change.
Less people whining when I get bored and want to quit midround?
Less fencing gals with 5 diff. officers / hcs from various allianceses.
With removing bps u also remove an "elite" from the galaxies, making it more likely all in gal will recive same amount of defence..I dunno.

Most importantly though is to make the gals smaller. Alot smaller.
20 man gals in a 1k ish uni just isnt working.

I d also be up for the idea of 100% pure alliance bps. Each alliance having a given amount of bps they can fill. Then they can recruit randoms ending in those gals, no one else...

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 15:31   #18
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I agree on the smaller gals i guess, 10-12 sounds better.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 16:11   #19
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster
I d also be up for the idea of 100% pure alliance bps. Each alliance having a given amount of bps they can fill. Then they can recruit randoms ending in those gals, no one else...
I like this idea. 2 groups of 3 alliance BP's + 4 randoms. 10 Man galaxy. Would make me a little more interesting than the current setup imo.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 17:43   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I like this idea. 2 groups of 3 alliance BP's + 4 randoms. 10 Man galaxy. Would make me a little more interesting than the current setup imo.
I'm a fan. Partly because I semi end up playing like that anyways with 2 asc bps and partly because I think it'd help in terms of creating better alliance wars. I really have to stress that I think rounds should be longer though. So little gets to actually happen and a lot of the more negative choices people (from the bottom to the top) make are determined by the short length of the round.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 18:08   #21
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

how about seedings, ie what they have in the NFL Draft (the higher alliance rankings the lower amount of b'packs they get) to give the smaller alliances a more level playing field
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 18:31   #22
Kenny

I think it's fair to say everybody realises we need smaller gals. Rather than argue about the way in which the PA team should present these to us, could we show a little unilateral backing to the basic concept first?

If we're not clear about the fact we want.. No, need, smaller gals - we risk this being overlooked. I can't bear the thought of another round of 20-man gals. Sure, if we had the playerbase for it no problem. We don't, so get this sorted first.

And agreed about the rest of what Gate said - may be nice for a few big changes in the stats for r25, but generally I didn't have too much of an issue with them. That said, I was a scanner this round so what do I know :P
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 18:32   #23
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

re: 2) are there any plans of bringing back the cathaar co attack fleet or are they going to be fr/cr from here on out (since etd is around w/ co etc)?

re: 3) the new galaxy disband system is a good idea, but the drawback is bigger galaxies. i made a joke sometime during the round that everyone should just keep disbanding and end the game with 1 or 2 huge galaxies.

oh and 5) xp sucks and should be removed
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 18:35   #24
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

I really like the 10 man galaxy buzz as it makes it a lot harder to fence I'd even like it better if the buddy packs would consist of 3-5 players of the same alliance. That way we could have more flagship gals like in the old days.
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 19:13   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
how about seedings, ie what they have in the NFL Draft (the higher alliance rankings the lower amount of b'packs they get) to give the smaller alliances a more level playing field
Ignores the possibility of actual and pretend new alliances as well as the kicking of members if you don't think you're going to win the round in order to gain an artifically lower position on the rankings. In a word, no.

If you're going to propose new systems for galaxies follow the KISS principle and don't overly complicate it. Inevitably you leave it open for abuse then.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 19:43   #26
Monroe

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

On the note of more galaxies, the only way to do this with the current seeding system (not saying that we shouldn't change it) is to decrease the size of BPs. Because the number of galaxies are determined by the number of BPs in the game the only way to increase the number of galaxies in the current system is to decrease the size of BPs back to say 3. Part of the reason we have 5 member BPs right now is people seem to like them a lot better then when it was only 3 members per buddy pack. I feel it is quite clear at the moment that galaxies without BPs almost always die, so any suggestion that has galaxies without at least one BP (whatever a BP is in terms of number) in it is probably not worth considering.

#strategy
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 20:00   #27
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

5 man gals with bp, 20 man gals without. Id go random then
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 20:18   #28
Vladel
Retired

Vladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really nice

Problem is that intel will always be a huge part of political play and alliances will never be open if they can gain an advantage by hiding and using cloak and dagger methods....
As for galaxies, smaller numbers would slow down the power galaxies but also slow down the smaller galaxies with less active players, i seriously doubt there is any real answer to that one apart from completely random galaxies which i know is not a popular thought.

Rnd 26-32 Jenova Denial (BC) Newdawn (HC)

Rnd 33 Retired
Vladel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 20:23   #29
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladel
Problem is that intel will always be a huge part of political play and alliances will never be open if they can gain an advantage by hiding and using cloak and dagger methods....
This is true and alliances really can't be blamed for playing the game as it is given to them. Which is why if someone is a member of a tag then it should be displayed next to their R/P on the galaxy page.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 20:32   #30
Vladel
Retired

Vladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really niceVladel is just really nice

achilles i totally agree with you

Rnd 33 Retired
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 21:27   #31
Monroe

Quote:
This is true and alliances really can't be blamed for playing the game as it is given to them. Which is why if someone is a member of a tag then it should be displayed next to their R/P on the galaxy page.
This would be a fun experiment, I'd be willing to give it a try. It would decrease the value of a good intel department, but that's not such a bad thing imo.

#strategy
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 21:35   #32
Vladel
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
This would be a fun experiment, I'd be willing to give it a try. It would decrease the value of a good intel department, but that's not such a bad thing imo.
Open and outright face to face fighting is what the bigger alliances fear, there would be alot of opposition to any such move. I think it would be good if the creators had the courage to enforce it.

Rnd 33 Retired
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 22:11   #33
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe
This isn't actually an 'experiment' you know, it's been done before in previous rounds.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 22:30   #34
Vladel
Retired

To be honest there isn't all that much scope to try something that hasn't already been done before. we have had alot of rounds and there has been something or another wrong with everyone of them.

Rnd 33 Retired
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 22:31   #35
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I full heartedly agree with you. I think that the secrecy needs to be removed from the game. Some might still chose to fakenick, but there should be possible ingame to see what alliance a planet belonged too. That would most likely also encourage people without a tag to seek one.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Hiding your info doesn't make any difference anymore - unless you're pretty damn good at it, which most of course are not.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 22:52   #36
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
To be honest there isn't all that much scope to try something that hasn't already been done before. we have had alot of rounds and there has been something or another wrong with everyone of them.
That's certainly true. The problem is that even if we arrived at a perfect game model, it would only be perfect for that particular playerbase. Different playerbases have different needs.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 23:45   #37
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was going to suggest the same thing when reading this thread!
All this hiding and fakenick b/s is really annoying tbh, especially if you end up in a gal where nobody trusts eachother. Personally when I get into a galchannel I prefer knowing who is who, not coming into a channel where everybody obviously fake-nicks and doesn't want anyone to know who they are.
This leads to more boring galchannels (face it, nobody really checks their 2nd mirc that much) and for new people less reason to get on irc because nobody ever says anything.
I want to see people openly admitting: hey, i'm that guy and i play for that alliance.
Where are the good times that when you had an inc the defprocedure was to go to the public channel and pm an op or voice.
Now everybody has their own personal defchannel, a fakenick, doesn't tell people what ally they're in, ...
Very boring indeed!
(Sorry about this little rant but that's just the way i feel about all this cloak and dagger shit, personally I don't fakenick btw)

Also agreeing with other people that we need smaller gals.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 23:50   #38
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedeejem!
This leads to more boring galchannels (face it, nobody really checks their 2nd mirc that much) and for new people less reason to get on irc because nobody ever says anything.
In the latest versions of mIRC you can have multiple servers open.
Unread 3 Mar 2008, 23:52   #39
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
In the latest versions of mIRC you can have multiple servers open.
That still doesn't change the fact that fakenicking is boring.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Unread 4 Mar 2008, 00:21   #40
Kenny

Quote:
Open and outright face to face fighting is what the bigger alliances fear, there would be alot of opposition to any such move. I think it would be good if the creators had the courage to enforce it.
Yes, there'd be a lot of opposition - but it WOULD make for a more interesting round though.

Can I just point out though - if people's tags were displayed on the galaxy page (even if it was only visible to the gal said planet was in) - then surely any alliance wanting to stay hidden wouldn't tag up?

And what of support planets? The planets that attack with an alliance but don't tag up?

Display a tag on the galscreen (or at least a scan of some variety) and enforce the support planet rule.
Unread 4 Mar 2008, 01:05   #41
furball

Quote:
That still doesn't change the fact that fakenicking is boring.
I'm not disagreeing with that, just trying to be helpful for those that read these threads but don't post.
Unread 4 Mar 2008, 03:16   #42
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Anyone who opposes this idea is straight up punk and needs to come down into the streets yo.
Unread 4 Mar 2008, 14:47   #43
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Can I just point out though - if people's tags were displayed on the galaxy page (even if it was only visible to the gal said planet was in) - then surely any alliance wanting to stay hidden wouldn't tag up?
Smaller tagged up alliances may attract more inc. Opposition to this idea

If you're galraiding and you see 2 equally sized, equally easy targets, one of whom is tagged eXilition and one of whom is tagged F-Crew, who do you pick?

A community solution would be ideal. If major allies were to adopt a 'no fake nicking' policy it would be great. Ofc, I'd fully expect at least one ally to try and stab the others in the back for personal gain, but it may be worth a try rather than trying to force a loophole-riddled in-game fix.
Unread 4 Mar 2008, 15:10   #44
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Heh.

I'm sorry man, but after PT200 (realistically much earlier) I know exactly which planets are in which alliance and if I wanted to pick accordingly then I could. The only people who are disadvantaged in that regard right now are new players without access to the intel that most of the people on these boards, yourself included, take for granted. It's needlessly unfair.*

The only difference with my suggestion is that the playing field would be level for all. Can you explain why that is a bad thing?

*edit: In the sense that it is exclusionary, elitist and inaccessible towards the new player for no reason other than he is new and doesn't have elite friends to help him out.

Last edited by Achilles; 4 Mar 2008 at 15:23.
Unread 4 Mar 2008, 15:46   #45
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Yes, there'd be a lot of opposition - but it WOULD make for a more interesting round though.

And what of support planets? The planets that attack with an alliance but don't tag up?

Display a tag on the galscreen (or at least a scan of some variety) and enforce the support planet rule.
A little side track on the support planet rule. The current (and past) support planet rule only restricts the gameplay and should be altered a bit.

Support planets that are paid are ok. If you want to dedicate your whole round and money to help your alliance, it's your own choice and tactic and you should be allowed to (much like sending def to each other). You're not multiing or farming or whatever, so I don't see the problem.

If you're unpaid, the rules should be very strict and closing will be done fast.

This presents the supporting planets as another tactic in alliance wars, but prevents the option of creating a mass of free planets that help someone and block someone that paid.

Together with the open tag, it should be great.

edit: The open tag system would increase the sense of bonding one would have with the game. Everybody can look at the big alliance wars and (if you would add the alliance nick aswell) the top players would be known. This is good for some egos and great for the general buzz in the game. 'Did you see 3:4:5 crash 500k value on sandmans' vs 'Did you see Elviz crash another fleet at Kargool's place hehe'. This would create at least a bit of an idea that you're playing against people in stead of a bunch of coordinates. Especially in a small game like this it would increase the level of fun.

Last edited by paolo; 4 Mar 2008 at 15:54.
Unread 4 Mar 2008, 15:55   #46
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo
A little side track on the support planet rule. The current (and past) support planet rule only restricts the gameplay and should be altered a bit.

Support planets that are paid are ok. If you want to dedicate your whole round and money to help your alliance, it's your own choice and tactic and you should be allowed to (much like sending def to each other). You're not multiing or farming or whatever, so I don't see the problem.

If you're unpaid, the rules should be very strict and closing will be done fast.

This presents the supporting planets as another tactic in alliance wars, but prevents the option of creating a mass of free planets that help someone and block someone that paid.

Together with the open tag, it should be great.
Agree with you on most part.
Only thing I'd like to add is that paid multi planets should be ok to.
There should be limits though, like only be able to have 2-3 planets. But not too much limits either. I mean, if you're willing to pay for multiple planets, why the hell not?

This should only apply to paid accounts though, multi with free accounts should not be allowed.

Unread 4 Mar 2008, 15:56   #47
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Quote:
edit: The open tag system would increase the sense of bonding one would have with the game. Everybody can look at the big alliance wars and (if you would add the alliance nick aswell) the top players would be known. This is good for some egos and great for the general buzz in the game. 'Did you see 3:4:5 crash 500k value on sandmans' vs 'Did you see Elviz crash another fleet at Kargool's place hehe'. This would create at least a bit of an idea that you're playing against people in stead of a bunch of coordinates. Especially in a small game like this it would increase the level of fun.
Agree with you completly!

Unread 4 Mar 2008, 15:57   #48
paolo
Kwaak

Quote:
Agree with you on most part.
Only thing I'd like to add is that paid multi planets should be ok to.
There should be limits though, like only be able to have 2-3 planets. But not too much limits either. I mean, if you're willing to pay for multiple planets, why the hell not?

This should only apply to paid accounts though, multi with free accounts should not be allowed.
I don't think that would be a good idea. That way the person with the most cash would have a huge advantage. I don't think it would benefit the game, but I'm open to suggestions to tackle that part of the problem
Unread 4 Mar 2008, 16:02   #49
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Quote:
I don't think that would be a good idea. That way the person with the most cash would have a huge advantage. I don't think that would benefit the game, but I'm open to suggestions to tackle that part of the problem
If you limit the amount of planets somebody can have to lets say 2-3 it doesn't really give that huge of an advantage, especially if they can't buddypack / exile into the same gal and only 1 planet can join an alliance tag.
Every player that wants to spend money on it could have his own support planet & scan planet.

Unread 4 Mar 2008, 16:07   #50
paolo
Kwaak

Quote:
If you limit the amount of planets somebody can have to lets say 2-3 it doesn't really give that huge of an advantage, especially if they can't buddypack / exile into the same gal and only 1 planet can join an alliance tag.
Every player that wants to spend money on it could have his own support planet & scan planet.
The scan planet does sound like a good idea if the way the game uses scans stays the same. Limit that second planet to scans only, but still make it go through research and construction steps. Cov ops can still be done on them etc. Incomming scans still need to be done by the first planet, so dists and faking would still work. And currently alliance scanners can still scan most dist whores. Yeah I like the idea. I think it could become something.