User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Apr 2005, 07:54   #1
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about
Aliances and def and what would you do?

Right, YOu have an alliance and you ave members, but what would a hc do if one fits top ten members for defending the alliance had incomming?

I wasin that exact position again for he third time last night, but yet again I had no defence.

Now call me ld fashioned, but I alwasy mae sure hat the very core members - the ones that worked for tehre alliance really hard got defence. When I approached the MIl HC about this all he said was "I dont care I was roided 7 times last night!"

Ah well better to be i ndependent - at least I have a reason for no def now

Apart from the little tale the question is still there to be answered at the top - what would you perceive as to happen for someone hat defends mainly so much that they becme (points wise) one of the best members of your alliance?
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 08:09   #2
Tis
Lost the Fury... :(

Tis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud ofTis has much to be proud of
Re: Aliances and def and what would you do?

I think you know shite all about the current game.

Last edited by Tis; 16 Apr 2005 at 08:27.
Tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 08:30   #3
Gumbie
SiN HC

Gumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the rough

The only time that sort of prioritising happens is when there's absolutly no other deciding factors between the incomings on 2 planets, and there's only 1 fleet that can cover. At that point, it goes to the more contributing member.
However, you'll often find (outside of 1up where the standard is pretty universally high across all members) that the harder defenders will not get defence because "who guards the guards?". The less active members who aren't up for the 2-5 am crunch times will get defence from the active members, but when the active members need defence, their allies are asleep.
It's unfair, but sometimes you just have to suck it up, or be more strict with your other members. In round 12 I came second for defence in the alliance, had incoming about 8 times across the round (great mix of alliances with gal mates meant we were off limits to pretty much everyone), and got defended maybe 2 or 3 times. I just work on the basis of lead by example, and try and teach other people how the system works.
Who knows, maybe in a few rounds SiN will be on a par with round 12 1up

<toot> of course at a cow
<toot> what do you think
<Tearz> I mean... like theres anythign else to do with a bazooka
Gumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 09:58   #4
Legator
Pr0nstar

Legator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to beholdLegator is a splendid one to behold

hi rumad mate,

stop whining (sorry) but i was #1, and #2 on def when i got no defense. (2 times) with the amount of incomings its impossible to cover everyone.

i wonder that you react like this ?? You should know that its hard to cover people when theres a massive amount of incs.....
Honoured to have been [1up] Member

VfL Bochum >*
Legator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 10:26   #5
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

If defence ships are available they get defence. If no defence ships are available they don't.

It's really that simple.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 10:28   #6
Game'

Game' is on a distinguished road

Rumad ive warned you before, less McDonalds, more fat burning, those fat fingers are again making your typing ****ing hard to read.

On to the question, unlucky, take it on the chin.

In this form of PA roids matter only a little, value and XP matter alot
Game' is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 10:30   #7
starbreeze

starbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because you are top defender should not mean you should expect to be defended. If you are defending only to save your own ass later on....well its still a selfish goal.

As with Legator, I was #1 in 1up def when I got roided. Things happen, hard night maybe, or just you lucked out of that ship class. Nothing you can do.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 10:32   #8
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Get on with it and don't cry about it. The first mistake you made was going to the trouble of finding out they were top 5, and wasting time.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 12:13   #9
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

This round everybody lose roids just look at top #10 they hardly have any roids at all. With the populare specific targeting "tactic" you run out of def fast and the only way to counter it is to make sure you attack and cap the roids you lose from someone else.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 12:29   #10
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legator
hi rumad mate,

stop whining (sorry) but i was #1, and #2 on def when i got no defense. (2 times) with the amount of incomings its impossible to cover everyone.

i wonder that you react like this ?? You should know that its hard to cover people when theres a massive amount of incs.....
occasional things like that happen leggy - but 2k zik co? cant be covered? i find that hard to believe. Not really wihining as gal has covered me, but don't stop me feeling pissy and leaving wp over it.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 12:37   #11
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game'
Rumad ive warned you before, less McDonalds, more fat burning, those fat fingers are again making your typing ****ing hard to read.

On to the question, unlucky, take it on the chin.

In this form of PA roids matter only a little, value and XP matter alot
well i aint quitting pa - i like my gal it was more a question as to whether peoplewho have played for there alliance deserve priority.

Every alliance yu get some selfish whre, but its the ones who are unquestioning imo that are the ones who deserve the def.

Sorry i was typing quick as i had to go out

Anyway if ppl culd keep to the question rather tahn repeatedly saying i am whining. I do feel aggrieved, but that isn't the point f the thread, merely to see whether alliances appreciate and look after core members or roids.

I am guessing there was multiple calls last night so i was pushed to the bottom of the pile, which is fine as it no longer effects me, but when you go to your hc and they give you such a shite answer does anyone really think anyone who has spent morning after morning defending the alliance should at least get a little tea nad sympathy.

However, I was really thnking after that (not whining but thinking) does any alliance still allow core members the one who are there fr the alliance no matter what get defence over the roid whres and those that do ittle apart from add score and roids to the alliance?

As i say i don't expect to be flame as while i am pissed at w thats not really what the thread is about. Just wondering if all alliances feel the same and its first come first served or if it is supportive of core members. Nothing really whining there i think
Proud to be Independent
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 12:39   #12
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbreeze
Just because you are top defender should not mean you should expect to be defended. If you are defending only to save your own ass later on....well its still a selfish goal.

As with Legator, I was #1 in 1up def when I got roided. Things happen, hard night maybe, or just you lucked out of that ship class. Nothing you can do.
pa is a selfish game in many respects tast why everyone wants more roids and score

As for expecting def on 2k co i dont see that as a massive request....

Its all relative guess, but thats my opinion anyway

lo btw starbreeze ltns
Proud to be Independent
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 12:43   #13
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treveler
This round everybody lose roids just look at top #10 they hardly have any roids at all. With the populare specific targeting "tactic" you run out of def fast and the only way to counter it is to make sure you attack and cap the roids you lose from someone else.
I knw this is true, but even t10 players can expect defence for one out of three incommings.

And again your talking about fleet sizes that are sent to take roids, not bedefeded against..

As i say i wont give up, my gal is pretty wickd s will play fr them now, but i do find that there has to be an malfunction somewhere. If i was a bc or a war hc the first people you defend are the core players. Every alliance has people who don't pull there wieght and i alwas made sure they were a low priority for def and i told them why they wer a low priority for def.

As i say yu have to take the rough wth the smooth, but are you all saying all alliances arelie that now?

If you are pa is a wrse palce imo.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:02   #14
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Rumad in blatant disregard for reality shocker!
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:03   #15
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
Rumad in blatant disregard for reality shocker!
i see you and mad&risky coming up with some great put downs today - hey well done for that!
Proud to be Independent
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:12   #16
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

from experience, you're sitting in a defence channel.

you see incomings pouring in.

you call to see what you've got (if you're being really enthusiastic, you've checked beforehand how much you have in the tank).

you see which ones are the most realistic to defend in the time available. Rank has nothing to do with it - you defend who you can, when you can. Why should anyone justify defending their top players when you could arguably cover more planets, quite often more roids and try and keep morale going by showing that yes, your alliance does give a shit, and defends you from time to time in return for you putting the hours in.

If anything, core players can take being roided a lot better if they're any good - the only thing they get pissed off about is mistakes. This is part of one of my big arguments against 'battlegroups' - they tend to defend each other more often than not, save ships up for each other, and it's joe peon who's defended them 525903217523750239752 times who suffers - i value them as much as anybody, cos they work their nuts off, usually for very little credit, even though they've kept the main attacking bulk on the offensive for weeks on end. Elitism like that in my view ****s alliances up the arse - as you are one of the founding fathers of this battlegroup system (namely from JoV) it's perfectly understandable why your attitude (in my view) towards PA stinks.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:17   #17
Game'

Rumad its simple how it goes, there are either ships available or there or not.

It is all well and good being a top defender, but if your incoming comes at the end of the night that has totally drained your alliance, theres not alot they can do for you, you cant expect any alliance to hold back ships for you or other top defenders 'incase' you get incoming, as that may never happen and thus the ships would be lost.

To my mind the only time that the members worth to the alliance in terms of defence given, particaption etc etc is when the calls come in at the same time, then of course you should be pushed above other members in terms or priority if you have defended more than them, irrespective of rank.

One other thing you need to consider is the volume of incoming involved, was it worthwhile defending you, or did the volume just not make it possible, and thus had to take oone on the chin.

All in all your alliance should easily be able to explain the actions and why they took place, as long as you ask in a polite manner, and not "IM THE BIGGEST PLAYER AND YOU DIDNT DEFEND ME YOU NOOBS", which given your post on here id say you did. A side from that if your in an alliance that couldnt explain the actions after asking nicely its simple, find an alliance that can
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:18   #18
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
i see you and mad&risky coming up with some great put downs today - hey well done for that!
OK, let me be a bit more specific.

You've made a post saying that you disagree with the fact that some planet or other didn't receive defence (I don't know which planet you're referring to, but I assume the planet exists and isn't a rhetorical device). Several people who are, it is reasonable to assume, somewhat more "clued in" to the nature of this round have replied saying that this is not unusual, and provided explanations for why this is so. In defiance of reality as explained to you, you continue to post to the effect that there is something "wrong" with this. You make no suggestion as to how or why it could or should be changed, which can only suggest that you have no particular desire to engage with the facts.

Put simply, the combination of ship stats, galaxy formation and alliance politics this round favour attacking over defending. Roids come and go easily, and an alliance is often better off accepting a few losses in return for getting more attack fleets out to gain more roids and XP. All the major alliances run out of defence on a nightly basis (possible exceptions being WP, someone may correct me if I'm wrong). If there's no def ships left, it really doesn't matter who you are or what your incoming was, the alliance cannot magically produce ships to defend.

I'm going to lose a bunch of roids today, but I really don't mind. The only option is to get on with the game and get the roids back. The players who keep on doing this will win, the players who throw their toys out of the pram because they didn't get defence will be the ones who lose.
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:19   #19
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

When Lokken is making intelligent posts it makes me happy.

There is no place for elitism in Alliances. I am of the opinion that nobody, not even HC or top players should get priority of defence. The principle is the same with top defending planets, It should not simply be a reward for defending alliance mates, they should be defended anyway regardless of any reward.

Sadly the opposite is more often the case :(
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:21   #20
Rumad
th0ng gimp

actually i pretty much agree with what ou say, which i think is my point.

JoV was built in a different round and yeah it did defend each other, but likewise only 2 allainces were part of that bg and it would have been 1 alliance had i not split from legion.

I dont expect to be covered everytime, just 50% would be nice especially as i have given a lot of time effort and defence to wp.

As for me having a stinky attitude, not really I have defended my gal mates and we have a good galaxy - i will play for them now rather than some alliance which actually pays its member very little regards and that can only be good for my galaxy members.

Do I have a stinky attitude? I don't think so, I might have done in the past, but everyone changes, especially when you are no longer playing in a position of authority. Good post though till you went off the rails a bit at the end - if you ever want to talk about jov i can chat over irc - and yes it as probably the first or one of the first bg's and they were great
Proud to be Independent

Last edited by Rumad; 16 Apr 2005 at 13:38.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:31   #21
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

can someone write a rumad to english translator too?

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:33   #22
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:

You've made a post saying that you disagree with the fact that some planet or other didn't receive defence (I don't know which planet you're referring to, but I assume the planet exists and isn't a rhetorical device). Several people who are, it is reasonable to assume, somewhat more "clued in" to the nature of this round have replied saying that this is not unusual, and provided explanations for why this is so. In defiance of reality as explained to you, you continue to post to the effect that there is something "wrong" with this. You make no suggestion as to how or why it could or should be changed, which can only suggest that you have no particular desire to engage with the facts.

Put simply, the combination of ship stats, galaxy formation and alliance politics this round favour attacking over defending. Roids come and go easily, and an alliance is often better off accepting a few losses in return for getting more attack fleets out to gain more roids and XP. All the major alliances run out of defence on a nightly basis (possible exceptions being WP, someone may correct me if I'm wrong). If there's no def ships left, it really doesn't matter who you are or what your incoming was, the alliance cannot magically produce ships to defend.

I'm going to lose a bunch of roids today, but I really don't mind. The only option is to get on with the game and get the roids back. The players who keep on doing this will win, the players who throw their toys out of the pram because they didn't get defence will be the ones who lose.
I can see where you are coming from with this and its fine.

I don't believe I have shown any form of elitism at all. I dont believe I expect anything other than merely asking if core members get defence or whether it was purely my bad experience.

I don't buy that the ship stats are the reason for no defence,

How could it be correced? thats easy - members who do the most for the alliances goals gets the defence. I agree that you shouldn't protect people just because they have the best score or the best roids. I am not in that position as since around the 7th day of pa i have sent 3 defence fleets daily.

Now there are other players, players who like me give ships daily to there alliance, who do what is asked of them and are damn good members. Those members are for me the bread and butter of any alliance and when i was legion, fang, bd I made sure that those members were covered over and above any roid whore that did nothing for the alliance.

Locken has already stated that you can cover more roids by defending those members over those that probably have to many roids to be able to ge all the resources out of them.

So far the main thing I have heard is that people get def as the calls come in, thats fine, but 2k co surely isnt that hard to sort? another incomming was about 5 days ago and was 35 bs and I have a xan atatcker as well.

I dont think any were particularly dificult to cover - the gal has covered me, but doesn't stop me thinking about how alliances have changed, how people have forgotten that the old bread and butter members of your alliance are the ones who deserve looking after.

I am allianceless now so i don't really care that much, but why should these people who do what they can for there alliances not get the support they should righty expect?
Proud to be Independent

Last edited by Rumad; 16 Apr 2005 at 13:42.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:48   #23
lokken
BlueTuba

if you are in the WP sphere of influence, you've not been under that much pressure this round.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:49   #24
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Funny thing is, if we'd play in a perfect game where EVERYONE receives defence then there wouldn't be a wargame. It's the basic essence of this game, roiding others which implies others not having enough defence to protect his roids ...

There is nothing wrong with the system, and as sid put it nicely. If there are ships, you get defence, if there aren't, too bad ...

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:53   #25
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough

IMO Rumad, points in WP mean nothing when sorting defense, because as I understand it you still get points for attacking. Therefore points aren't necessarily relative to the members that defend the most.

When I was a DC / MO / 'whatever the hell you wanna call the sucker who organizes the defense' for WP I actually did go through the trouble of seeing how many points people had most of the time. If the two calls were of the same class and roughly same size, I would then look at the points and see if one had a good bit more than the other. Then I would cover the person with more points first. However, this was in round 10 and 10.5. The stats for those rounds were much better suited for prioritizing defense. This round however the stats are such that prioritizing your def too much can result in a worse overall outcome for the alliance.

Stop whining that "It was only 2k zik co" and that "you should at least get 1/3 waves covered." You have not proven that WP even had any sizable co defense the tick you got incoming. They cant defend with what they dont have. I dont think WP has the highest roids due to incompetent defense officers, they seem to be doing their jobs just fine, stop whining and get on with the game.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 13:54   #26
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
Funny thing is, if we'd play in a perfect game where EVERYONE receives defence then there wouldn't be a wargame. It's the basic essence of this game, roiding others which implies others not having enough defence to protect his roids ...

There is nothing wrong with the system, and as sid put it nicely. If there are ships, you get defence, if there aren't, too bad ...

Sounds like round 10 in WP lol. We went like a month with only a few, 3 or 4, uncovered def calls lol. The whole "disturbance" factor that round was rediculous.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 14:46   #27
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

Besides the fact this happens in every alliance when def ships run out, why would you come on AD and whinge about it? (omg I lost a roid lets whine about it, leave my alliance and quit pa..)
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 17:23   #28
Rumad
th0ng gimp

its not really whinging - in he end i only lost 60 roids so thast neither here nor there.

What it did do was make me realise that the game has change, but i am no sure whether its for the better or worse. There is little difference between now and previous rounds conceptually and although different ships target only 1 class most people have an array of ships been so far into the round. Alliances should be able to cover 80% of incommings and those that should benefit are those that send def for the alliance day after day in my view.

Thats not necessarily a whinge - its a comment on the state of pa atm.and whether alliances are forgetting the fundamentals that has led pa to where it is.

I do believe that not all incommings will be covered and yes i will lose roids (I have lost around 400 this round and when you dont really attack cause of other commitments and sending 3 fleet defs everyday)). However should any member feel that they should be coverd in most cases?

Try to forget I exist and think of the type of player I am talking about. You have probably met them while playing pa and there many spread through the alliances of planetarion. Shouldn't they have the right to expect if an alliance hears of the incommings at eta 9 or even higher that they have a reasonable chance of def?

As I say it as more the actual fact that from my days as a BC or a HC i made sure these players were coverd most nights as without them a alliance simpy cannot cover most incommings.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 18:18   #29
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
its not really whinging - in he end i only lost 60 roids so thast neither here nor there.

What it did do was make me realise that the game has change, but i am no sure whether its for the better or worse. There is little difference between now and previous rounds conceptually and although different ships target only 1 class most people have an array of ships been so far into the round. Alliances should be able to cover 80% of incommings and those that should benefit are those that send def for the alliance day after day in my view.

Thats not necessarily a whinge - its a comment on the state of pa atm.and whether alliances are forgetting the fundamentals that has led pa to where it is.

I do believe that not all incommings will be covered and yes i will lose roids (I have lost around 400 this round and when you dont really attack cause of other commitments and sending 3 fleet defs everyday)). However should any member feel that they should be coverd in most cases?

Try to forget I exist and think of the type of player I am talking about. You have probably met them while playing pa and there many spread through the alliances of planetarion. Shouldn't they have the right to expect if an alliance hears of the incommings at eta 9 or even higher that they have a reasonable chance of def?

As I say it as more the actual fact that from my days as a BC or a HC i made sure these players were coverd most nights as without them a alliance simpy cannot cover most incommings.
Go play some classic PA clone.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 18:59   #30
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

You forgot the "Im a loyal member ffs!!" part Rumad..
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 19:22   #31
Game'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
You forgot the "Im a loyal member ffs!!" part Rumad..
But he left
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 19:34   #32
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
When Lokken is making intelligent posts it makes me happy.

There is no place for elitism in Alliances. I am of the opinion that nobody, not even HC or top players should get priority of defence. The principle is the same with top defending planets, It should not simply be a reward for defending alliance mates, they should be defended anyway regardless of any reward.

Sadly the opposite is more often the case
I think once you have more of a chance to see the def point system in action, you will grow to appreciate it. There is a certain attitude adjustment that needs to take place as an old player joins a new game.
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 22:11   #33
starbreeze

starbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point

btw rumad

it takes almost 9k vsh to stop 2k zik dead
and 9k spids as well

not everyone is rolling with the big fi fleets

oh and hi!
Unread 16 Apr 2005, 23:20   #34
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayl
I think once you have more of a chance to see the def point system in action, you will grow to appreciate it. There is a certain attitude adjustment that needs to take place as an old player joins a new game.
I do appreciate the effectivness of a defense point system, in practice it incentivises and encourages defending.

You are right though, as an old player it goes against the grain, its the same old saw: should the shopkeeper not cheat his customer because it will mean better business in the future, or should he not cheat his customer because it is wrong to cheat people?
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 03:42   #35
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

He should cheat because the guy next door does and get an unfair advantage right?

You would think??!?

It don’t pay off in the long run and here is the proof

If only every ally could live by the tit for tat strategy!

For the uneducated:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/tittat/story.htm
http://ingrimayne.saintjoe.edu/econ/...TitForTat.html

The original rule itself:
http://brembs.net/ipd/tft.html

This is the most effective strategy known in evolution (if the rules are met and they definitely qualify in pa) so far.

Question: Do we know any alliance who has used this strategy effectivly so far?

Last edited by Treveler; 17 Apr 2005 at 03:55.
Treveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 03:53   #36
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

But I wasnt reffering to the prisoners dilemma

You need to read more Duty Ethics
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 04:39   #37
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I always prioritize the defcalls as I see fit

I call it DCing....
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 17:15   #38
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Everytime I lose roids, I cry to my mummy as I do not understand the concept of attacking to regain roids. People underestimate the difficulty involved in def-whoring!

In reality, I do whine though, we used to have little e-penis contests in 1up for how most roids lost & still managing to end decent regardless.

Edit: On topic - It's just not as fun to be honest, if you don't lose any roids, the fun is in staying strong regardless. Challenges rock!
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 18:53   #39
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbreeze
btw rumad

it takes almost 9k vsh to stop 2k zik dead
and 9k spids as well

not everyone is rolling with the big fi fleets

oh and hi!
not that much - i had 2k assasins and 200 bucs so needed much less. Gal saved my ass in the end so thats how hard it was to stop, but no one even bothered to work it out. Within 30 mins they dissmissed it to a gal member and said they couldn't cover it. ironic for the number 1 alliance really.

As for loyalty, loyalty is earnt not given freely.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 18:57   #40
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
Everytime I lose roids, I cry to my mummy as I do not understand the concept of attacking to regain roids. People underestimate the difficulty involved in def-whoring!

In reality, I do whine though, we used to have little e-penis contests in 1up for how most roids lost & still managing to end decent regardless.

Edit: On topic - It's just not as fun to be honest, if you don't lose any roids, the fun is in staying strong regardless. Challenges rock!
callenges rck if you feel your alliance can handle the challenge. I didn't in this instance. I never whined really bad (I admit i did some) and left.

At the end of the day you have to feel part of something bigger to make sacrifices. If you dont you can't abide what happens and you leave.

At the end of the day enjoyment for me comes from helping others, but when i can't be afforded the same help then i think its not for me. I guess everyone looks for something different, but an alliance who cannot cover anything for you is no help imo. Especially if you have launch times that mean you cannot attack with them.

I also follow lokkens principle of def, but perhaps i am wrong in saying that distributing your def better is part of the game. Incidentally i can't have given up that much my gal is still rising in the t100
Proud to be Independent
Unread 17 Apr 2005, 21:17   #41
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm The round has just started and everyone is getting infinite amounts of incomming atm and its starting to slow down with real/fake defences floating about the place as jgp start lingering everywere.
Don't worry about it till the 4th week and if the finger isnt out of the crevice then just leave the alliance if you aint happy.

Otherwise keep on roiding right back at them and keep them fleets moving to help ppl who can build to help you eventually.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 04:54   #42
Chaos

Chaos will become famous soon enoughChaos will become famous soon enough

HR has a system where your rated by MPA (Member performance average) and Def points give more MPA than attack points. and your MPA descreases over time. so you hafto keep filling up with def and attack points to stay over the set Probation limit. if your under it. you don't get def. and when there is heavy incomming. those with highest MPA get def first. it's a system that works.

ofc. if there just isn't any def left. no mather how high your mpa is. your not getting def.
R7-R11 : HR HC / NoS Head Techie / NoS WC
R12 : Retired <- GF gives ultimatum. PA or Her.
R13 : HR Peon -> BC -> MC (GC of Winning Gal)
R14 : HR HC
R15 : Retired <- GF dumps me cuz of PA.
R16 : HR Peon
R19 : Omen BC
R20-R30 : Retired
R31 : HR Peon

Someone give me a dictionary.
Cuz I don't seem to know what retired means. =/
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 14:02   #43
Nskel
Bored Guy

Nskel is an unknown quantity at this point

Rumad..I'm going to point out that I've been left out to dry more than once during a round, and had been top defender during those rounds as well. When the alliance is out of defence, then it dosent matter if your god incarnate, your not going to get def.

Oh, and posting here was one of the dumbest things you've ever done.

:: RD4 [NRK] :: RD5 [NRK DC] :: RD6 [Guild WC] :: RD7 [WP FC] :: RD9 [WP FC] :: RD9.5 [WP FC] :: RD10 [WP FC/BGC/RC] :: RD10.5 [WP FC/BGC] :: RD11 [WP FC/BC ] 14.9.9 :: RD13 [WP FC] 2:3:4? :: Rd 19 [Who knows?] ??:??:??
Nskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 14:27   #44
Walldo
Stealth & Shadows

Walldo is on a distinguished road

Well Rumad, WP works on an average score, with more points for defence then for attacks.

But we don't defend the top members first cause they defend more. All members with a score above our minimum gets the same change to get covered.

And like as said above, Aswell we end up with no fleets and ships availeble at 1 point in a night. Peak inc hours with many calls, is using as many tactics skill as you can to get it all covered. But can't be all. Everyone ends up with uncovered defcalls. 1 reason galdef is so important this rnd. You need both Alliancedef and galdef to survive. Still not covered, run your ships, much more important then those easily get back roids.

Playing since RND1 and counting

Proud to have been

Newdawn

Wolfpack - WPO - OoO - Kralizec Stealth & Shadows - []LCH[] - [1up] - VisioN - TFD
Ultores - Conspiracy Theory - Concordium - WaC - Blue Tuba - Fury - Thieves & Pirates - OUZO -Vengeance - Elysium - Mistu - LOST - 4S - GoCi - FAnG - Novus Ordo Seclorum - Xanadu - BULL - VGN -xVx
Walldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 16:35   #45
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold

end of the day, if there are no ships available, then take your licks and go give your attackers some punishment the next day.

TBH I know quite well what its like to get so much incomming that it just isnt worth covering. Personally I wouldnt want to be covered if it meant 2-3+ other people wouldnt get covered.

(Ive lost well over 1500 roids so far this round, and thats just what sandmans counts, that doesnt include roids gained at the same time as losses to my knowledge.

Getting roided isnt that bad yet, if it was im sure a lot more people would have quit than already have. Personally I find it amusing that people think they can kill me by keep waving me, afterall there are only so many roids they can take. And I can just retake them the next day.

(Ive had the better part of 60+ waves of incomming on me since the round started, probably under half were covered) And people in my gal have had a lot more.

So should people who defend most get defence priority? Yes, but only assuming that there are ships available, and only assuming that it wont dry up the alliance to such an extent that they cannot defend other members.
Unread 18 Apr 2005, 17:37   #46
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I know the feeling morden the damn lunatics wont leave me alone

And still to this day i have had one defence of 2 sets i think covered so far but because of a bit of communicaton problem both defences came a tick later than expected :P
Its a harsh game but get on with it.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 06:05   #47
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walldo
Well Rumad, WP works on an average score, with more points for defence then for attacks.

But we don't defend the top members first cause they defend more. All members with a score above our minimum gets the same change to get covered.

And like as said above, Aswell we end up with no fleets and ships availeble at 1 point in a night. Peak inc hours with many calls, is using as many tactics skill as you can to get it all covered. But can't be all. Everyone ends up with uncovered defcalls. 1 reason galdef is so important this rnd. You need both Alliancedef and galdef to survive. Still not covered, run your ships, much more important then those easily get back roids.
If you wanna talk to me bud i am usually on ng's. As for your repl fair enough, but he enquiry was to whether all alliances are the same. As for the policy - in m ees defending should be encouraged like HR so if i was wp hc i would look at that policy....

morden yet again you speak common sense - good post
Proud to be Independent
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 10:30   #48
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA you left wp cuz you got 1 wave uncovered? lmao... poor people that vouched you in. that's really just TOO pathetic dude:/

on another note, i reckon i got some reasons to quit 1up
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:20   #49
Gumbie
SiN HC

Gumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the roughGumbie is a jewel in the rough

When did he quit wp?

EDit: Ah re-read his post where he said independant. Ok that was a dumb move imo :/

<toot> of course at a cow
<toot> what do you think
<Tearz> I mean... like theres anythign else to do with a bazooka
Gumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 22:16   #50
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

Quote:
occasional things like that happen leggy - but 2k zik co? cant be covered? i find that hard to believe. Not really wihining as gal has covered me, but don't stop me feeling pissy and leaving wp over it.
it was one of his many many posts in his own thread
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote