User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:04   #1
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Lol? lol?

As an English student, ridiculously outmoded things like capital letters preoccupy me, and recently a particular conundrum has surfaced which riles me.

Sometimes it is nice to give a short and sharp reply, especially when using that magnificent witticism 'lol'. However, should the rules of grammar apply in any form when doing so?

Lol.
lol
lol.

All three are possible replies - and all three look wrong. Solution, anyone?
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:06   #2
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Lol? lol?

It's not a sentence anyway lol.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:06   #3
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

lolly roffle

It looks so much better on its own.
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:07   #4
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

lol
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:07   #5
Hells_Angel
Lost on Mars

Hells_Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

lol isnt grammerly correct ne way so really there isnt any wrong or right way to write it.
Hells_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:08   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

LOL.
All capital letters because it is an abbreviation.
Followed by a '.' or any other character that ends the sentence.
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:09   #7
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Lol is for gays, so is LoL, lol and lol. are ok, but i use them in different contexts, ie

<x> this is a joke lol
<me> lol

or
<x> i crashed my fleet in pa
<me> lol.

etc, if know what i mean :/
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:11   #8
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Since it's hardly proper English, rules wouldn't really apply. And if they did, they would be from the general use of the phrase.

So whatever way you want to write it until it's included in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then you'll have to write it their way!
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:14   #9
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Argh - but it strains me so to write without the use of a capital letter!

I need counselling.
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:14   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't normally use "lol" except when being sarcastic/ironic, but I'd say either lol or LOL. I wouldn't normally use it as a sentence, so I wouldn't worry about capital letters or full-stops.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:34   #11
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the only time id use it is when im proving a point about how shit something is.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:39   #12
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

who cares about the grammar in irc abbreviations?
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:40   #13
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

I apply different standards of language when talking to different people because I'm duplicitous.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:44   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
who cares about the grammar in irc abbreviations?
Quite a lot of people. Certain ways of typing are more aesthetically pleasing, and it does have an impact on how people receive what you're saying.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 16:52   #15
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Quite a lot of people. Certain ways of typing are more aesthetically pleasing, and it does have an impact on how people receive what you're saying.
Fairy snuff

I can understand that for post content, but more recently I have tried to avoid use of shortened irc speak because i do realise (after some years) how irritating it is.

However, in reality grammar involved in something which is related to the speed of typing and response rather than what is grammatically correct, isn't asking the grammar of it unreasonable?

At the end of the day you cannot have your cake and eat it. You either have grammar or a lazy typing manner surely?
Proud to be Independent
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 17:07   #16
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

technically should it not be L.O.L? since it is an abbreviation...
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 17:13   #17
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Superpig #1 is infamous around these parts

I just say "lol"
This is a man in a wheelchair - &

and that was my sig.
Superpig #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 17:14   #18
Boogster
I dunno...

Well, even when I text I try to be (sort of) grammatically correct. It just... feels right. But on IRC, admittedly, I can't be bothered with capital letters and full-stops.
You have a point though: why should I try and involve grammar when using an abbreviation that has been created specifically as an alternative to grammar? Oh the paradox! Perhaps, instead of using 'lol' in response at all, I should simply type,

'I am "Laughing out loud'.
Unread 2 Sep 2004, 17:20   #19
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Well, even when I text I try to be (sort of) grammatically correct. It just... feels right. But on IRC, admittedly, I can't be bothered with capital letters and full-stops.
You have a point though: why should I try and involve grammar when using an abbreviation that has been created specifically as an alternative to grammar? Oh the paradox! Perhaps, instead of using 'lol' in response at all, I should simply type,

'I am "Laughing out loud'.
Just remember that throughout life you will be presented with paradigms. Unfortunately whether you like the aesthetics or grammar I would say that you cannot have both in this case.

Irc speak was designed to defy the laws of grammar, as much as you can try you cannot inflect grammar on something that has no grammar.

You could always just say "that made me laugh" without using lol. That WOULD be grammatically correct in a posting sense.
Proud to be Independent