User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

View Poll Results: What type of smoking ban should have been introduced
Total ban 63 59.43%
Partial ban 19 17.92%
No change 24 22.64%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 16 Feb 2006, 14:10   #251
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Total smoking ban passed (previously "Get in my son")

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
just as an aside, has anyone else seen that the MP's have excluded their own commons bar from the ban? bit shit if you ask me
That's because the Palace of Westminster is a Royal Palace and thus exempt from health and safety legislation. It's not a clause saying "smoking is banned in enclosed spaces (except the House of Commons bar ho ho ho)".
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2006, 14:20   #252
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
That's because the Palace of Westminster is a Royal Palace and thus exempt from health and safety legislation. It's not a clause saying "smoking is banned in enclosed spaces (except the House of Commons bar ho ho ho)".
But surely the exact same arguments the govenment used to bring in the change of law should be aplicaple to those that work in/use the palace?
PSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2006, 14:51   #253
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
But surely the exact same arguments the govenment used to bring in the change of law should be aplicaple to those that work in/use the palace?
I'd imagine that because it's a Royal Palace it's treated as a residence rather than as a place of work. If H&S extended to Palaces then members of the Royal Family wouldn't be able to smoke in their own homes in case their butlers got cancer. (And not even this Government is suggesting banning people smoking at home.)
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 16 Feb 2006, 16:54   #254
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

do they have to have a license to sell alcohol on the premises there? I wonder if it might be a loophole to have your "house" licensed to sell beer.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 14:28   #255
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

I couldnt give half a shit for any pro-smoking (or "pro choice") arguments.

From a purely selfish point of view, i hate smoking, i hate smokers, i hate the smell of smoke, and it being banned is objectively awesome. The rest of you can get tangled up in a waste of time "people have teh right!!!!!!!" argument, i'll count off the days and celebrate.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 17:53   #256
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
I couldnt give half a shit for any pro-smoking (or "pro choice") arguments.

From a purely selfish point of view, i hate smoking, i hate smokers, i hate the smell of smoke, and it being banned is objectively awesome. The rest of you can get tangled up in a waste of time "people have teh right!!!!!!!" argument, i'll count off the days and celebrate.
I can't believe you stated a personal preference three times and then claimed it was objective.
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:08   #257
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:11   #258
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I don't mind smoking being banned in public houses etc. It's soon 2 years since it was banned in Norway. It's amazing how cleaner the air inside feels. But, there's a but, now that the smoke is gone from the pubs/discos, the bodysmells appears. Amazing what the smoke covered for eh?

Another question: How long (if at all) do you think it takes before smoking is totally banned and made illegal? I mean.. even hashish used to be legal once.
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:31   #259
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I can't believe you stated a personal preference three times and then claimed it was objective.
You forgot to click your heels three times then.
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 18:58   #260
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
You forgot to click your heels three times then.
I have no feet you ****ing racist
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 19:04   #261
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I have no feet you ****ing racist
JonnyBCrippled
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 19:15   #262
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus
What? People can just leave boiling acid over the place, rusty barbed wire, some rabid dogs and to top it off, a nice layer of asbestos on top?
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 19:56   #263
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
What? People can just leave boiling acid over the place, rusty barbed wire, some rabid dogs and to top it off, a nice layer of asbestos on top?
They're not exempt from being sued for negligence*, they just don't have to comply with "safety in the workplace"-type laws. (I doubt Her Majesty's bedroom has a luminous green "FIRE EXIT" sign over the door, for instance.)

*Except the Queen personally, obviously, so Her Majesty's free to leave lying around all the boiling acid she likes, though I suspect she wouldn't appreciate her corgis being called "rabid".
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 23:00   #264
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
Another question: How long (if at all) do you think it takes before smoking is totally banned and made illegal? I mean.. even hashish used to be legal once.
As soon as they find an alternative way to raise £5 billion a year in taxes probably.
PSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2006, 23:58   #265
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

smoke-related illnesses in "not costing the NHS any money at all" dramabomb
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2006, 18:59   #266
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The smoke healthcarecost argument is not something I buy. Beacause smokers die earlier, they also costs the state less in terms of pensions, healthcare and elderly homes. Of course they cost more when they live, but untill I see some decent research that proves smokers cost more, then that argument is not valid in my eyes.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2006, 19:58   #267
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

and if they die earlier they pay less tax.
Unread 18 Feb 2006, 20:03   #268
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I dont think smoking cuts the living age that much, most probably reach pensionage.
Of course, I'm not sure that they cost less/more/equal, but the argument is not valid as long as there is no proof!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Feb 2006, 20:09   #269
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

either way though, i'm fairly sure that if smoking was banned and everyone had far more money to bandy around, taxes could go up with less complaint than normal.

(FYI people who can't stop smoking are idiots for letting the habit go beyond their own control. i smoke less than a pack a week on average and stopping does not present a problem, and while I'm obviously an extremely light smoker, anything over 5-a-day points to idiots with severe self-control issues.)
Unread 18 Feb 2006, 20:20   #270
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
either way though, i'm fairly sure that if smoking was banned and everyone had far more money to bandy around, taxes could go up with less complaint than normal.
Why would "everyone" have more money than usual? I'm pretty sure if smoking was banned I wouldn't be any richer personally.

I've not seen any definitive stats on this either way, but it does make sense that smokers contribute more money than the extra they utilise (in terms of health, etc). Not that that should determine social policy either way, of course.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote