User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Oct 2005, 12:53   #1
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of
State of the tory party

So, my brother went to a local tory party meeting last night. He's been a member of the conservative party for ages, just never been actively involved.

By the end of the night he'd been elected as vice chairman and will be appointing me as director of membership (I know nothing about politics). Also, since he was the only person under 50yrs of age that was there, he's been told by the current candidate that he will be the next tory candidate for the local elections, despite never doing anything like that before (although he did study politics at university).

We live in a labour dominated area, but still .. pretty shocking I think.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 12:59   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: State of the tory party

heh.

how amusing.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 13:04   #3
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

give it a couple of months and you will be leader of the Tory Party at this rate.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 13:12   #4
Ashknight
Buried under JJ's Patio

Ashknight is a jewel in the roughAshknight is a jewel in the roughAshknight is a jewel in the roughAshknight is a jewel in the rough

Nah he is under the age of 50, Tories prefer for their leaders to not have many years left on the clock, keeps everyone interested...much in the same way as the roman catholic church

A long term peon

<Mushroom> put it in slowly, bit by bit KaneED
<KaneED> i like it all in at once though
Ashknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 13:14   #5
*donkie*
Affectionate Nickname

*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light

I work in a BP petrol station, and one of the reguarl customers is a local Tory party councillor. We're in a fairly Labour dominated area (Wigan, hah), but after only spending ten minutes conversation with him, he offered me the job of being the campaign organiser for another local candidate.

It's a bit easier than I expected, this politics thing.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 13:21   #6
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

What do you expect if you involve yourself in a party with no ideology, no ideas, no future, and no hope? The death of the conservative party is pretty much the single greatest thing about living in Britain
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 13:25   #7
*donkie*
Affectionate Nickname

*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light

Having as little political ideology as possible kept the conservatives on-and-off in power from their birth from the Anglican Tory faction till The Whore of Babylon turned up.

I don't particularily like them, but any experience in the system can teach you something.

Still, pragmatism is useful, sometimes. (Did you get it?)
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 13:46   #8
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

My god! I did n`t know the tories were so desperate.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 13:54   #9
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Heh, where do you live? Even the Welsh valleys aren't in that bad a way.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 14:17   #10
newt
Banned

newt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud ofnewt has much to be proud of

somewhere in the north west the tory party isn't doing that badly either in recent years, only lost by 50 votes apparently in the last local elections ... just that they have fk all actual members. My brother probably offered to bring in 5 young faces and immediately got elected to vice chairman or something.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 16:02   #11
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I might have to not vote again next time. No way i'm voting your family in to power :eek:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
Heh, where do you live? Even the Welsh valleys aren't in that bad a way.
Blackburn with Darwen borough council.
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 16:09   #12
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newt
somewhere in the north west the tory party isn't doing that badly either in recent years, only lost by 50 votes apparently in the last local elections ... just that they have fk all actual members. My brother probably offered to bring in 5 young faces and immediately got elected to vice chairman or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Ahh k, cheers.

Your brother, was he voted vice chairman of the area or just vice chairman for CF in that area?
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 16:12   #13
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: State of the tory party

Last time I looked at the figures, the average age of a grass roots Tory Party member was 65. This was a few years ago, so draw your own conclusions.

Although this is not really to condemn the Tory Party in particular (Actually, it is) as all parties have trouble attracting members and keeping constituency associations vibrant. The fact that most constituency assocations are run in a really shit and amateurish fashion probably doesn't help much.

Oh, and it's realtively easy to be selected as a candidate for the council, particularly if you live in a given party stronghold, since the vast majority of Labour council candidates in Dorset (For instance) don't stand a chance in hell of being elected. Parties will sometimes practically stand half of the members of an association in council elections.

Being selected for a ward which is a shoe-in is the really difficult part.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 5 Oct 2005 at 16:20.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2005, 18:14   #14
newt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Let's not get ahead of ourselves If he was vice chairman of the conservative party for all of blackburn then I would have died of shock.

But alas no, just a district? ??CF?? of blackburn .. that includes your beloved football team's residence. So don't worry, he won't be running against Mr Straw at the next election - maybe the election after that if Straw's still not dead.