User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 May 2005, 19:33   #1
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Internet browser related help required here!

I am using mozilla and the advertisement at the top of the page is incredibly ****ed up. Please help me friends
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:35   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Internet browser related help required here!

I was told by someone whose opinion I cared about that using internet explorer was terrible for spyware and other such random things I have very little interest in but apparently make my computer run slower. As for paying for something on the internet...
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:38   #3
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Ever since I upgraded to Opera 8.0, the ads on the top are gone. There's the field where they are supposed to be, but no ads in them, it just says "sponsoder links". I don't mind :-)
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:41   #4
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I was told by someone whose opinion I cared about that using internet explorer was terrible for spyware
If you have Windows XP and Service Pack 2 installed then use Explorer without worrying about it. Otherwise you'll only have a problem if you're an idiot and click yes to lots of popups.

This is the only computer related thing I actually know. SA teaches me everything in life.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:44   #5
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Use Opera and don't pay then.
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:45   #6
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Are you using the latest version of Firefox (1.0.3)? I havent noticed any problems with the adverts.
Unread 4 May 2005, 20:01   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

I am not, I will download the updated version immediately. Thanks for the practical advice JC
Unread 4 May 2005, 20:17   #8
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Firefox is like Mozilla but without the mail/news client and the website creater.
It's also faster and doesn't have an advert at the top of the page.
www.firefox.com
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 05:55   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog
If you have Windows XP and Service Pack 2 installed then use Explorer without worrying about it.
This is not true.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 08:30   #10
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I am using mozilla and the advertisement at the top of the page is incredibly ****ed up. Please help me friends
I use Mozilla and I haven't noticed any ads, just blank spaces.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 10:39   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
If you have Windows XP and Service Pack 2 installed then use Explorer without worrying about it.
As Dante pointed out, this is not the case.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 May 2005, 22:54   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
As Dante pointed out, this is not the case.
And to back it up, check Secunia.
Unread 6 May 2005, 00:07   #13
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
if you believe that, then you deserve all the adware and spyware currently infecting you computer
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 00:25   #14
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I really hope there was an extreme abundance of sarcasm in that statement by Black Dog.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 02:16   #15
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Internet browser related help required here!

I actually have never partitipated in these kind of browser wars, but you know what?

I'm using Internet Explorer. hahahahaha! I am. And I call myself "expert". hahahah.

Ok now, I really know it's all bad with IE and all the other products are safer.
However, this also depends on who uses it.
There are more and more exploits and trojans etc coming for Firefox / Mozilla and the lot nowadays and in the near future. Just keep up on reading your favourite geeky news-source.

One thing (and probably the only thing I could think of) in favour of IE is the "comfortable" auto-update function. Even if bugfixed and patches come late, it's SO easy and convenient to apply these patches.
For Firefox / Mozilla, auto-update doesn't always work right now, sometimes the automatic fixes are delayed just a bit (that's what I read). Well ok.

Probably in the end, IE is the most unsecure browser. I agree. But this might change with its popularity. The target for any spammer / virus author that makes most sense is the most used browser, however you might put it.

I am using IE with very strict settings. I've disabled JavaScript for the internet zone. That sucks. Ok.
But then I've edited the "trusted zone" settings to those I'd use for the internet.
Once I visit a site that needs JavaScript for the first time, I gotta add it to my trusted zone. It takes a couple of secs to type the URL once, but that's about it.

Even if there's a cross-site-scripting attack to gain rights for my trusted zone, I don't care, as the trusted zone is still "safe" enough. Well.

Then add a normal user's commen sense, and all is fine.

Don't flame me for this, but just leave me alone and let me choose my favourite browser, thanks.

If I install systems for other people, I even recommend Firefox and install it for them, if I fear they might screw up their systems otherwise.

I just had to say this once in a while!

P.S.: Hey Leshy!
Unread 6 May 2005, 09:26   #16
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
One thing (and probably the only thing I could think of) in favour of IE is the "comfortable" auto-update function. Even if bugfixed and patches come late, it's SO easy and convenient to apply these patches.
Ironicly, I read that just as Mozilla told me that there was an update to 1.03 and also updates for a couple of add ons I have installed for it. . It's updating them for me now. That's pretty comfortable.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 10:56   #17
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
If you have Windows XP and Service Pack 2 installed then use Explorer without worrying about it. Otherwise you'll only have a problem if you're an idiot and click yes to lots of popups.

This is the only computer related thing I actually know. SA teaches me everything in life.

This post is hilarious!

PS: As pointed out before, not a word of it is true.
Unread 6 May 2005, 10:58   #18
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use IE and i havnt been infected with spyware of any kind for over a year....
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 11:05   #19
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
I use IE and i don't know if i've been infected with spyware of any kind for over a year....

fixed :/

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 11:07   #20
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

opera thread
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 11:09   #21
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
I actually have never partitipated in these kind of browser wars, but you know what?

I'm using Internet Explorer. hahahahaha! I am. And I call myself "expert". hahahah.

Ok now, I really know it's all bad with IE and all the other products are safer.
However, this also depends on who uses it.
There are more and more exploits and trojans etc coming for Firefox / Mozilla and the lot nowadays and in the near future. Just keep up on reading your favourite geeky news-source.
I know that my car with no seatbelts, broken headlights and a tendency to stall is more dangerous than other automobiles, but if you're a good driver then it doesnt matter!
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 11:21   #22
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

no no i really havnt
i have

Pestpatrol
Lavasoft Adaware
Bazooka Adware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Grisoft AVG Antivirus

i run them from time to time when i dont need the pc and all they find are the occasional tracking cookies which are no big deal. Everything is updated too before you go 'haha'
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 May 2005, 11:37   #23
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Pestpatrol
Lavasoft Adaware
Bazooka Adware
Spybot Search and Destroy
Grisoft AVG Antivirus
The fact that you need all of these should be telling enough
Unread 6 May 2005, 11:48   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

[quote=JetLinusProbably in the end, IE is the most unsecure browser. I agree. But this might change with its popularity. The target for any spammer / virus author that makes most sense is the most used browser, however you might put it.[/QUOTE]

All the browsers can have flaws, certainly. However, Firefox is open source and therefore extremely likely to be fixed quickly. Opera has been shown to not be a slouch with updating when there's a hole in the past.

IE still sits around with lots of vulnerabilities.

The problem with IE is not that it's flawed (all software is flawed to begin with) but that Microsoft don't bother to fix it.
Unread 6 May 2005, 16:32   #25
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
This is not true.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/SecureXP.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by the above website
Update - People are recommending Firefox over Internet Explorer as a solution to Spyware infections. This is simply not true. Internet Explorer with Service Pack 2 installed provide the exact same level of security. SP2 includes a built-in Pop-up blocker, an ActiveX installation warning system and removes MSJVM from the system. This eliminates all the known security exploits some Spyware applications used to auto install themselves.
This guy seems trustworthy, in my opinion. His optimization tips are v.handy.
Unread 6 May 2005, 16:33   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
http://secunia.com/product/11/

Quote:
Originally Posted by by the above website
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x with all vendor patches installed and all vendor workarounds applied, is currently affected by one or more Secunia advisories rated Highly critical
Comparison:

Quote:
Mozilla Firefox 1.x with all vendor patches installed and all vendor workarounds applied, is currently affected by one or more Secunia advisories rated Less critical
As far as I can tell, they're not in any way connected to firefox, so there's no problems with bias.
Unread 6 May 2005, 19:32   #27
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
The Secunia database currently contains 0 Secunia advisories marked as "Unpatched", which affects Opera 8.x.
Quote:
The Secunia database currently contains 0 Secunia advisories marked as "Unpatched", which affects Opera 7.x.
For comparison
Unread 7 May 2005, 21:06   #28
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Anyone with a decent knowledge of computers can get away with using IE as long as their careful.

I use IE.

I have AVG and MS AntiSpyware.

Knowing a little bit about computers, I can confirm what those programs tell me.

I have no spyware.

Admittedly though, all I look at on the web is corporate webmail and these forums.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 15:15   #29
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

I use IE with XP Pro SP2 and I've not had any viruses or spyware show up on my weekly scans for a long time. Regardless of which browser you use you can't rely on it alone for safe browsing, I also have NAV2005 and Zone Alarm installed. On the rare occasion that something bad slips past IE, NAV will block it automatically, although I wish it would just bloody do it quietly instead of popping up window telling me about it. I guess it's done that way to make the 'Why do I need anti-virus software?' people think they are getting value for money.

I use IE because I prefer the look and feel of the browser over the alternatives and at the end of the day that's all the matters when there are other applications out there to keep your PC secure and adware free.

Someone brought up browser wars, I still think IE will come out on top in the long run. IE7 is out later this year, apparently with 'improved security features', I bet we'll see a swing back to IE useage. Firefox will have a hard time trying to hold to their 10% of the market by the end of the year target, the 'new browser curiosity' factor can't bring in fresh users forever. Even if they hang on the the people that genuinely prefer FF, those people combined with the small doltish hardcore of users who would never use IE because using a non-MS browser gives them the "I'm different and hence cool" factor, they're still not going to hold 10% by the year end imo.

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 15:18   #30
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

IE doesn't have tabs, and is therefore a shit browser.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 15:55   #31
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Tabs alone is a reason to use firefox/opera, everything else for me was just a bonus!

I'm using firefox atm, though that's only because I'm too lazy to re-customize the new Opera. I will someday though.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 May 2005, 21:01   #32
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Internet browser related help required here!

There are some people who really LOVE the new "tabbed" thingy from Trillian (instant messenger). It groups together messages from people just like the browser tabs webpages.
I don't like that.
I don't want a container for my messages. Or for my websites.
That's why I've got my taskbar for.

Move the mousecursor to the bottom of the screen, and I've got it all. That's enough for me.
So no tabs needed.

However it's ok of course if other people prefer them...
Unread 8 May 2005, 21:07   #33
Flayer
Wankoverable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Rozenski
I use IE with XP Pro SP2 and I've not had any viruses or spyware show up on my weekly scans for a long time. Regardless of which browser you use you can't rely on it alone for safe browsing, I also have NAV2005 and Zone Alarm installed. On the rare occasion that something bad slips past IE, NAV will block it automatically, although I wish it would just bloody do it quietly instead of popping up window telling me about it. I guess it's done that way to make the 'Why do I need anti-virus software?' people think they are getting value for money.
IE is inherently less secure than other browsers because it is embedded into the operating system. I've used opera for a very long time now, and I never needed *anything* else to 'rely upon' for safe browsing! I know opera's safety could be because almost no one else uses it, but I've got no problem with that
As for all your installed firewalls and anti-virus programs, those are not more than patches against the bleeding. (I have *never* used an anti-virus program).

Quote:
I use IE because I prefer the look and feel of the browser over the alternatives and at the end of the day that's all the matters when there are other applications out there to keep your PC secure and adware free.
That's just habit you know. If you give another browser a chance, you will soon get used to it. After a couple of weeks you will realize you've been missing out! Again, I prefer one safe browser to a wreckage of a browser and three applications running underneath it to make it secure and use up system resources.

Quote:
Someone brought up browser wars, I still think IE will come out on top in the long run. IE7 is out later this year, apparently with 'improved security features', I bet we'll see a swing back to IE useage. Firefox will have a hard time trying to hold to their 10% of the market by the end of the year target, the 'new browser curiosity' factor can't bring in fresh users forever. Even if they hang on the the people that genuinely prefer FF, those people combined with the small doltish hardcore of users who would never use IE because using a non-MS browser gives them the "I'm different and hence cool" factor, they're still not going to hold 10% by the year end imo.
Sadly, this is true because microsoft will copy all features from firefox (which firefox in turn stole from opera, who are against software patents) and call it 'innovation'.
Unread 8 May 2005, 21:08   #34
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

I've never had any spyware crap etc. installed on my PC since I've had Firefox on my machine. It's a WHOLE load faster being on modem. Opera is a faster page renderer but Firefox is faster for actually loading pages as a whole for me.

Long live my gateway
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2005, 01:06   #35
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Ok, here is a solution for you.

http://adblock.mozdev.org/

Install that

http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/a...005-05-05a.txt

put this in the filter list

Then you should be all set, NO ADDS on ANY site.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2005, 02:09   #36
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Quote:
I was told by someone whose opinion I cared about that using internet explorer was terrible for spyware and other such random things I have very little interest in but apparently make my computer run slower. As for paying for something on the internet...
One word - SP2

I asume you are a fairly competant computer user who doesnt click "Yes" the instant some box jumps in your face, and thus antivirus (mandatory!) and SP2 keeps IE clean as a baby's concience. I only use IE, and having MS antispyware running every night since it was launched - it still hasnt found anything.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
TheRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2005, 02:11   #37
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRat
I asume you are a fairly competant computer user who doesnt click "Yes" the instant some box jumps in your face, and thus antivirus (mandatory!) and SP2 keeps IE clean as a baby's concience. I only use IE, and having MS antispyware running every night since it was launched - it still hasnt found anything.
Assumption is the mother of all **** ups
Unread 9 May 2005, 02:29   #38
TheRat
Retired

TheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud ofTheRat has much to be proud of

Quote:
Autoclicking makes baby jesus cry

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
Unread 9 May 2005, 02:32   #39
JonnyBGood
Banned

Happy smiley faces are like little children with ice-cream

Sad smiley faces are like little children who have had their ice-cream stolen from them by an older boy

PS Replace ice-cream with virginity to see the hidden message!
Unread 9 May 2005, 02:32   #40
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
The fact that you need all of these should be telling enough
JJ added himself to "GD PEADO LIST" there!
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2005, 02:33   #41
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
didnt steven segal say that?

also quite comically someone in my class at uni is called stevan segal
Unread 9 May 2005, 02:35   #42
JonnyBGood
Banned

I am not crediting steven seagal with a line that good.
Unread 9 May 2005, 02:36   #43
TheRat
Retired

Quote:
PS Replace ice-cream with virginity to see the hidden message!
Very cute

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired
Unread 9 May 2005, 03:02   #44
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I am not crediting steven seagal with a line that good.
but it was him who said it :/
Unread 9 May 2005, 03:20   #45
JonnyBGood
Banned

I doubt he writes his own lines dude.
Unread 9 May 2005, 04:06   #46
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Dont know why you would bother using IE with adverts. when you can get Firefox, with zero adds.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2005, 09:00   #47
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
didnt steven segal say that?
He may have said it, but it's a fairly elderly phrase so many multitudes of people have "said it".
Unread 9 May 2005, 12:10   #48
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
Dont know why you would bother using IE with adverts. when you can get Firefox, with zero adds.
Because advertising is what keeps a lot of things free or low-cost?
Unread 9 May 2005, 12:14   #49
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

I want to disagree with leshy but he'll beat me on the internet.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 10 May 2005, 03:48   #50
TheRat
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
Now point me to the part of IE where adverts occur. Couldnt find it? Me neither.

-Elysium Officer
[1up] Senior MO
Retired