User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 17:16   #1
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
[Declined] unlimited research

i seem to recall a desire to make it so that each planet isn't a carbon copy of all the others towards the end of the round by making it so that there's not enough time in a round to complete the whole research tree.

as this doesn't seem to have happened, how about adding repeatable techs to the end of the tree? kinda like the future techs used to be like in civilization. you could, for instance, allow the mining of 500 more roids per extra hct tech, or allow stealth to recover quicker for extra covert op researches or such.

this would force people to actually make a choice about what techs to do. only downside i can see is that it'd make scanplanets more desirable, but that's a seperate problem/solution really.

-mist
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 17:45   #2
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice
Re: unlimited research

make all reasearches 15% longer or something along those lines. Then it takes a lot longer before we see big ships in battle, before we see JGP scans etc. Which, I feel, would make the game more fun.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 18:42   #3
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad
make all reasearches 15% longer or something along those lines. Then it takes a lot longer before we see big ships in battle, before we see JGP scans etc. Which, I feel, would make the game more fun.
Sorry to disagree, but I played Xan last two rounds and in both cases only just completed the Research Tree a few weeks ahead of the end. (in fact I never completed the Asteroid Research, I could only mine 2000 roids)

I know I am not the most active player (i dont get up in the middle of the night to do next res/con) but I am online over 10 hours per day weekdays and 16+ at weekends.

If anything it should be = for all or shortened not lenghthened.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 19:01   #4
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Ships Eta & Scans should be lengthened (quite a bit too, tbfh), rest shortened.
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 19:15   #5
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

it would make xans a lot better
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 01:16   #6
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: [Discuss] unlimited research

There are 2084 ticks of research available. With no engineering priority, Zikonian and Terran both take this long to finish it. Xandathrii take 2274 ticks and Cathaar 1852.

This round lasted what, 1400 ticks? Even with Engineering Priority 1 Xandathrii take 1768 ticks to finish and Cathaar 1643. I think we've already got this.
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 14:45   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

this isn't needed if we keep the rounds short as jester said, so the question turns into do we want long rounds or short rounds

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 14:54   #8
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
this isn't needed if we keep the rounds short as jester said, so the question turns into do we want long rounds or short rounds

I personally would like a round length that allows all Races to complete all the research.

At the moment only 2 can possibly complete it or get close giving an advantage.

So either shorten research time to fit 1400 ticks or increase the number of Ticks to allow completion.

makes no difference
Unread 1 Feb 2005, 19:01   #9
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

i'm thinking no to repeatable techs as i think the game will be short enough to not need them in future. However making some of the branches longer might not be a problem e.g. the one that gives x resources per tick

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 23:16   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

rounds will almost certinaly be 10 weeks from now on, so this is not needed - declined

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Closed Thread