User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 13 Oct 2007, 18:48   #1
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
irc at uni

help required homeboys.

rite so, a lot of my port seem to be restricted at uni and i'm going to require a lot of help in getting past dat shit. appoco who apparently has buggered off to holiday told me to register for 'unix0 access' so i can.. something or another involving these terms: ssh, tunnel, putty

it seems to me like unix0 = a server, putty = program i use to access server to tunnel through using ssh or something like that? anyways, how do i do that? apparently the unix server should be unrestricted i've not been told of any address/pass or anything which seems bizarre i'd guess i'd need one for to access the server? how do i use putty? etc etc etc
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2007, 01:02   #2
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: irc at uni

the unix server is your access to an unrestricted world.

to talk to the server you use putty which uses ssh - which is just a secure protocol.

you could use putty to talk directly to the server through typing unix commands but i doubt you'd want to do that.

it's more likely that you will use putty to act as a gateway to the unrestricted world: instead of accessing the internet through your university server putty allows you to talk to it, which in turn talks to the unix server. so you're tunneling out of your current environment to another.

i've not done the technicalities of this in a while, but you would need to give putty the details of your server (address, port number, password i would guess) so it can talk to it.

then you must set up putty so it sits on a certain location i.e. localhost:4114 (with 4114 being the port number, the place, on your computer, localhost). then set up mirc so it looks at localhost:4114 when it wants to talk to the outside world.

i guess the server would just know what to do when putty tells it to send /receive internet packages. make sure your account specifically allows http-tunneling to be sure.

that's all i know. should be enough hopefully.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2007, 13:45   #3
CBA
Mind-boggling

CBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these partsCBA is infamous around these parts

arg is there any chance of a step by step guide on this because i suffer the same issue

R21-Randy Dandys Winners R21
1:9:5 -SoClose- -YetSoFar-

You have pending friend requests from Newt.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Oct 2007, 18:29   #4
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Breaking Firewalls with OpenSSH and PuTTY
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2007, 00:09   #5
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/solu...nel/client.asp may be useful.
apparently:

Low Bandwidth Service Features:
  • Free option for moderate users
  • Sufficient for Instant Messaging programs (Trillian, ICQ, etc.)
  • Good for users who only need to access blocked web sites
  • No spam, pop-ups, or banners
Unread 21 Oct 2007, 17:05   #6
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

http://http-tunnel.sourceforge.net/

that's also useful and free if you've got access (can install programs) to an external server.
Unread 3 Nov 2007, 04:11   #7
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the other option is talking to the computing service types and saying "please can i have port #### open please" but I suppose that IS a lot of walking
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote