User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Sep 2006, 00:34   #1
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place
[Cricket] The Ashes Squad

So the squad was announced yesterday with Flintoff as captain.

A Flintoff
A Strauss
M Trescothick
A Cook
K Pietersen
I Bell
P Collingwood
C Read
S Mahmood
S Harmison
M Hoggard
M Panesar
G Jones
A Giles
J Anderson
L Plunkett

While it was a fairly predictable squad there were quite a few I wouldn't have taken. Trescothick I am extremely wary about after his recent trouble and complete lack. I can understand why he is going but if he has a bad first test (assuming he makes it out there) then I can see his completely falling apart for the rest of the series, and his record over there isn't particularly good anyway.

Anderson and Giles haven't played in ages so I can't see how they could really play once they get there, even if they are totally fit by the time of the first test. I still remember Anderson getting destroyed by SA after not playing for months and have a horrible feeling Fletcher may opt for Giles over Panesar which would be a terrible move. I would have taken Jon Lewis over Anderson and perhaps Dalrymple over Giles though I'm not particularly sure there.

I would also have much rathered Strauss as captain. He seems to be one of the only batter we have had recently whose form actually improved while captain, there is no guarantee Flintoff won't break down again which would make him an even bigger loss, Flintoff already has a lot on his shoulders, and also has a habit of overbowling himself which is made even worse with him returning from injury.

At least there is a large backup squad this time covering for all these suspect players.

While it is a different squad I would also have liked to see Broad go to the ICC trophy.

So from the 11 my team would probably be:

Strauss
Cook
Pieterson
Bell
Flintoff
Collingwood
Reed
Harmison
Hoggard
Plunkett
Panesar
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 00:45   #2
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Cricket] The Ashes Squad

i'd change your order around a bit

Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pieterson
Collingwood
Flintodd
Read
Plunkett
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar

Although Plunkett hasn't overly impressed me, and if Harmison has an off-day we'll be mullered.
Seeing as the alternatives are Mahmood and Anderson we're a bit screwed if Harmy, Hoggard or Flintoff is off-colour or gets injured.

Completely agree with you on your points.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2006, 00:54   #3
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [Cricket] The Ashes Squad

I'd agree with Ste's order, but I think Trescothick for all his shaky form would be a better pick to face Warne and McGrath than another bowler in Plunkett, given that the squad already has five quality bowlers in Harmison/Hoggard/Panesar/Flintoff/Collingwood, as well as Pietersen and Strauss having put in some decent overs this summer. Also, Giles would still be my pick for the last bowler if needed - can you honestly imagine Mahmood or Plunkett bowling a maiden against Ponting?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote