User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 8 Jan 2006, 20:36   #1
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Ship naming competition

Tired of the same old names?

Want to see some classics return?

Well step right up and suggest em here and have a chance at seeing your candidate in all its size 12 font glory.

P.S. Not endorsed by PA, but bug them anyway.
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 20:39   #2
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ship naming competition

interceptor,... nuf said
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 20:40   #3
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

MaxMilliaN, Yeh, Idler, mazzelaar, Kjeldoran, Tesla.

Or, perhaps something else.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 20:42   #4
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I said ship not shit.

No offense
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 20:54   #5
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I still like the ghost type names for xand ships. Spectre, wraith, banshee etc.

And I think there's some cool mythical creatures that could be used for terran ships too. Titan, kraken, valkyrie, minotaur etc. And the mantis really needs a return to the cath fleet IMO
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 21:08   #6
Rocko

Rocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of lightRocko is a glorious beacon of light

Unicorn
Minotaur
Medussa (spelling??)
Inspector Gadget
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 21:11   #7
Cannon_Fodder

Inspect her gadget you mean
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 22:03   #8
Rocko

the frying scotch egg
Unread 8 Jan 2006, 23:58   #9
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko
Unicorn
There used to be a Unicorn. I did away with it for r13. I don't like Unicorn, possibly because it was pretty much useless back in r6/7.
Quote:
Minotaur
Ditto, except this was r11/12 only I think.
Quote:
Medussa (spelling??)
Medusa is the correct spelling, and it doesn't fit the theme. Medusa was the name of a specific Gorgon, not a mythical creature (which would be Gorgon). Gorgon might cool though.

Quote:
Inspector Gadget

We came up with some cool ones in #pawiki the other day. Most of these suggestions are Dukie's originally.

I definitely want Ziz in with Leviathan and Behemoth, even though it doesn't sound nearly as scary. Kraken is pretty cool as well. I'd like a replacement for Pegasus, simply because the plural is so awkward. Perhaps Barghest?

For Xan Scythe was suggested, I checked back and it was among the weird r10 names (but for Zik!). Imo Interceptor would fit for one of the Xan FI. I'm loathe to break up the Terran theme, but the Xan theme is pretty borked now that it doesn't have 'weird alien prefix' and 'irregular postfix'.

Last edited by Banned; 9 Jan 2006 at 00:05.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 00:08   #10
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Yeh Fighter Wall Crash 99 1 1 450000 450000 60000 (riddiculously high arm/dam costs) Terran
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 00:49   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't want to get rid of the Pegasus name because it's now iconic as a DE shooting smaller class ships (FI usually, CO one round). It'd be like getting rid of the Spider, Tarantula or Vsharrak. Just....wrong.

As for some suggestions - the Ziks could have the Brig back. I'll think of some more tomorrow.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 01:05   #12
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Sphinx
Goblin
Mermaid
Sprite
Troll
Satyr
Salamander
Leprachaun
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 01:20   #13
Unseen
th little noob that could

Unseen is an unknown quantity at this point

I really like the sound of a ghost based theme for xan

Ghost
Spectre
Wraith
Blackguard
Wight

etc
<Mysteries> believe me people cant handle it
<Unseen99> i had a kick ass cast lined up and everything

Round 15: 15:7:3
[Ins] [G-II]
Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 02:30   #14
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I really hope it would be. I can't imagine anything more purile.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 04:30   #15
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseen
I really like the sound of a ghost based theme for xan

Ghost
Spectre
Wraith
Blackguard
Wight

etc
Iirc the original Xan names Petru came up with were like this, but Spinner wanted the weirdo alien ones. Now that the old man's gone we can have it back the way it originally was!
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 08:40   #16
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
i think a race using transformers names would be fantastic

edit: i'll even watch the movie and write down all the names if you promise me it won't be in vain
Some of us are older then 12
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 08:54   #17
Dictator2

Dictator2 can only hope to improve

Well, how about comming up with new names... I googled some cool words, and did some editing, hope your vocabulary increases a bit. And maybe a couple of these inspire a couple of ships. Soz before hand about such long tread.

===========================================
For Terrans:

kith (kith) n. friends and neighbors.
brio [n. BRE-oh] First thing in the morning most of us lack brio. This spirited word entered English in the 18th century from the Italian. Taken from the Spanish brio (energy, determination), it was likely derived from the Celtic brigos which was related to the Old Irish brig (power, strength, force). Near synonyms include: vim, pep, liveliness, sprightliness, and vivacity.

yoni (yonn'-ee) n. a representation of the external female genitals, regarded as the symbol of Shakti. adj. yonic. (this would be the opposite of phallic, presumably).
cullion (cull'-yun, cull'-ee-un) n. a mean or base fellow. [from Middle English coillon "testicle".]

patzer (paht'-sur) n. an inept chess player. [from German patzer "bungler", from patzen "to blunder".]
bezoar (buh-zore') n. a hard indigestible mass of material, such as hair, vegetable fibers, or fruits, found in the stomachs or intestines of some ruminant animals (e.g. wild goat, gazelle, llama), and sometimes humans, formerly regarded as an antidote for poisons and pestilential diseases, hence: any antidote or panacea. Two kinds were particularly esteemed, the bezoar orientale of India, and the bezoar occidentale of Peru. [from Arabic badizarhd from Persian pad "protecting" + zahr "poison"].

orotund (or'-uh-tund) adj. 1: marked by fullness, strength and clarity or sound; sonorous. 2: pompous; bombastic.
chiliad (chill'-ee-add) n. 1: a group of 1,000. 2: millenium [from Greek chilioi "thousand."]

callipygian (kal-uh-pij'-ee-un) adj. having shapely buttocks. [from Greek kalli "beautiful" + pyge "buttocks," akin to physan "to blow, inflate"].
+Syncytium

Juggernaut (jug'-er-not) n. 1: a massive inexorable force that crushes whatever is in its path. 2: (chiefly Brit.) a large heavy truck. 3: (an older definition from the OED) (figurative) an institution, practice, or notion to which persons blindly devote themselves, or are ruthlessly sacrificed. [all these derived from the first OED definition 4: in Hindu mythology, a title of Krishna, the eighth avatar of Vishnu; specifically, the idol of this deity, annually dragged in procession on an enormous car, under the wheels of which many devotees would throw themselves to be crushed.]
+Dictator

For Cathaar:

gork (gork) n. vegetable, in the sense of a person who is severely mentally or physically impaired. [perhaps from back-formation from the slang term gorked "anesthetized".]
dirl (durl) v.t. to vibrate or tingle n. a vibration or tingling sensation.

nodus (noh'-duss) n. complication; difficulty pl. nodi. [from Latin nodus "knot, node"].
yare (yair) adj. 1. set for action; ready. 2a. characterized by speed and agility; nimble; lively. 2b. (of a ship) easily handled; maneuverable.
daedal (deed'ul) adj. 1a: intricate. 1b: skillful, artistic. 2: adorned with many things.

abulia (ay-byool'-ee-uh) n. abnormal lack of ability to act or make decisions.
anomie (also: anomy) (ann'-uh-mee) n. 1: social instability resulting from a breakdown of standards and values. 2: a feeling of personal unrest stemming from a lack of standards, values, purpose, or ideals. adj. form: anomic (an-nom'-ick) [from Greek, a- "lack of" + nomos "law."]

ophidian (oh-fid'-ee-an') adj. of, relating to, or resembling snakes.
achilous (ay-kile'-us) adj. in anatomy and botany, possessing no lips or only rudimentary ones.
anodyne (ann'-uh-dine) adj. 1: serving to asuage pain. 2: not likely to offend or arouse tensions; bland; innocuous n. 1: a drug that allays pain. 2: something that soothes, calms or comforts. [from Greek a- an- "without, not "+ odyné "pain".]
aeolian (ee-ole'-ee-an) adj. 1: (often capitalized) of or relating to Aeolus, Greek god of the winds. 2: giving forth or marked by a moaning or sighing sound or musical tone produced by, or as if by the wind.

halcyon [adj. or n. HALSEE-un] Something that is halcyon is calm, peaceful, or tranquil. This sense of the adjective often describes weather. Halcyon can also be used to describe a joyful, carefree, or prosperous time in the past. This nostalgic sense is perhaps most prevalent. People wish to recapture or relive their halcyon days.
The noun halcyon means any kingfisher of the genus Halycon. These birds with brightly colored plumage are native to Europe, Africa, and Australia. The word's roots, which lie in Greek mythology, tie all of these meanings together. The story goes that Alcyone (or alternately Halcyone) threw herself into the sea at the news that her husband Ceyx had drowned in a storm. Zeus took pity on her and turned the loving couple into kingfishers. In antiquity "halcyon days," when the sea was calm, were credited to Alcyone's father Aeolus (the ruler of the winds) who kept his winds at home so that his daughter could lay her eggs in a nest floating on the sea.

For Xandathrii:

kerf (kerf) n. 1: a slit or notch made by a saw or cutting torch. 2: the width of cut made by a saw or cutting torch. [from Old English cyrf "the action of cutting," akin to Old English ceorfan "to carve".]

xanthous (zan'-thuss) adj. 1: yellow. 2: yellowish.
clapter (clap'-ter) n. the sound of clapping, or clap-like sounds; applause, usually from a large crowd. [from English, by extension, from clap + -ter, as in laughter or clatter].

xiphoid — shaped like a sword
xyloid (zy'-loyd) adj. of or resembling wood; ligneous.
imago (im-may'-go, im-mah'-go) n. 1: an insect in its final, adult, sexually mature, and typically winged state. 2: an idealized mental image
thyestean (thigh-ess'-tee-an) adj. of or relating to the eating of human flesh; cannibal [from the Greek myth of Thyestes, brother of Atreus, who unwittingly ate the flesh of his own children].

xanthochroi (zan-thock'-roh-wee, zan-thock'-roy) n.pl. white persons having light hair and fair skin. adj.& singular form: xanthochroid (zanth'-uh-kroid, zan-thock'-roid). adj. form: xanthochroic (zanth-oh-kroh'-ic). [from New Latin xanth- "yellow" + Greek ochroi from ochros "pale."]
shandrydan (shan'-dree-dan) 1: a chaise with a hood. 2: a rickety vehicle.
volacious (voh-lay'-shuss) adj. apt or fit to fly.
procrustean (proh-cruss'-tee-an) adj. 1: of, relating to, or typical of Procrustes (a villainous son of Poseidon who forced travelers to fit into his bed by stretching their bodies or cutting off their legs). 2: marked by arbitrary, often ruthless disregard of individual differences or special circumstances.
schwarmerei (shfair-mer-eye') n. excessive or unwholesome sentiment [from German schwärmren "to be enthusiastic" lit. "to swarm"].
haruspex (ha-russ'-peks) n. a diviner in ancient Rome basing his predictions on inspection of the entrails of sacrificial animals.
vespertilian (vess-per-till'-ee-an) adj. of or relating to bats.
clepsydra (klep'-si-dra) n. a water clock [from Greek kleptein "to steal" + hydr "water"].
zygodactyl — having two toes pointing backward, two forward
+troglodyte
+heterodactyly
+prelapsarian

For Zikonian:

swink (swink) v.i. to labor, toil, work hard, sweat. v.t. to gain by toil (past tense is tricky, as it's a bit archaic: swinked, swank, swunk, or swonk).
twee (twee) adj. affectedly or excessively dainty, delicate, cute or quaint.
kloof (kloof) n. a deep glen; ravine. [from Afrikaans.]
glogg (glog) n. a hot punch made of red wine, brandy and sherry, flavored with almonds, raisins and orange peel, originally made in Sweden for serving during the Christmas holiday season.

hoyden (hoy'-den) n. a girl or woman of saucy, boisterous or carefree behavior.

gunda (goo*n'-da (*oo like in good)) n. (in India) a ruffian or hoodlum.
swaly (sway'-lee) adj. shady.
pawky (paw'-kee) adj. artfully shrewd; canny.

weazen (wee'-zen) v.i. to shrink or shrivel, to cause to shrink.
purloin [per-LOYN or PER-loyn] (verb): to appropriate wrongfully and often by a breach of trust

louche [adj. LOOSH] Someone who is louche has questionable taste or morals, or they could be lacking in respectability. If you're imagining a squint-eyed character who makes you suspicious or anxious you're not far off from this word's origins. Louche is a borrowed French word (meaning cross-eyed) derived from the Latin luscus which literally meant blind in one eye. Near synonyms include shady, shifty, indecent, and disreputable.

=================================

Knowledge is power

Last edited by Dictator2; 10 Jan 2006 at 01:43.
Dictator2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 10:53   #18
Cannon_Fodder

Can I just say the green and blue are hard to read, plus we don't care about what they mean, we just want names.... like transformers!
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 11:14   #19
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

[quote=Gate]I still like the ghost type names for xand ships. Spectre, wraith, banshee etc.
QUOTE]

i quite like this ghost theme idea....

we could add 'casper' in there if we need more names the friendly lil ghost DD
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 11:39   #20
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Vegetable Lamb?
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 12:51   #21
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

anti vote for the WRAITH ... :-) as like anyone else who has their highlight abused by a ship name :-)
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 15:50   #22
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith
anti vote for the WRAITH ... :-) as like anyone else who has their highlight abused by a ship name :-)
Or technology tree, TV program or similar. Damn stargate. :<

What I loved about the old terran shipnames was how apt they were. The hydra, having many heads, was perfectly suited to engaging multiple smaller craft and so it targetted CO/FR. The unicorn with its single, powerful horn, was capable of causing greivous damage to a single large target. And the chimera, with its various heads, was capable of engaging different targets effectively (hence T3='all')

And for the xand ghost (or even undead) theme, I tried it with some stats I was making up and always ran out of names. Ghost, wight, wraith, blackguard, vampyre, banshee, nightmare... and need 4 more :/

Other items from mythology (Rather than creatures) would be cool too. Gods for instance (Prometheus, Zeus, Anubis, Saturn, Thor), or other 'stuff' (Ragnarok, Valhalla, Asgard from Norse mythology)
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 16:49   #23
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
And for the xand ghost (or even undead) theme, I tried it with some stats I was making up and always ran out of names. Ghost, wight, wraith, blackguard, vampyre, banshee, nightmare... and need 4 more :/
Lich, Revenant, Spectre, Mummy (), Ghoul, Zombie(!), Phantom.
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 22:23   #24
Unseen

ok 12 names for the Ghost xan theme:

1. Ghost (ofc)
2. Wraith
3. Spectre
4. Phantom
5. Revenant
6. Blackguard
7. Wight
8. Appartition
9. Banshee
10. Shadow
11. Shade
12. Vision

i have more........

[Ins] [G-II]
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 23:37   #25
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
i think a race using transformers names would be fantastic
Bumblebee
Blurr
Kup
Starscream
Grimlock
Hotrod
Ultra Magnus
Megatron
Galvatron
Optimus Prime

<3
Unread 9 Jan 2006, 23:58   #26
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

titanic
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 00:01   #27
Gate
;D!

Quote:
ok 12 names for the Ghost xan theme:
Not so keen on vision or apparition myself, but I do like the rest of them. Get me replacements for those 2 please!

Besides which, blackguard, according to the dictionary means;
'1. A thoroughly unprincipled person; a scoundrel.
2. A foul-mouthed person.'

But it sounds cool by me.

For other themes, I liked some of the round 10 names
Dagger, scimitar, sabre, gladius, claymore, broadsword, (katana)
Advocate, Templar, Stalwart, Valiant, Vanguard etc
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 00:05   #28
Unseen

Quote:
Not so keen on vision or apparition myself, but I do like the rest of them. Get me replacements for those 2 please!
ok how about

lich and vampire

btw blackguard is a D&D class basically an evil paladin - thought it fit with the theme as a sort of black knight figure

[Ins] [G-II]
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 00:29   #29
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Pokemon theme!
Pikachu, errr Redfirebreathingdragonguy, Guywithaforestonhisback and Evolvedturtlewithpumpsonitsback. (or whatever they are called)
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 00:43   #30
Bromcrysal
We are but Men... ROCK!

Bromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura about

Continuing on the D&D evil undead concept, there's also:
Nightwing/Nightstalker

Wraith is Cool... Dreadwraith is Cooler.

There's also cool names like Gorgon, Gargoyle or Valkyrie, but these conform more to the Terran naming scheme. Also in the Terran mold, the Wyrm might be cool, instead of Behemoth.

yes, yes, I'm a Nerd.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 01:17   #31
Dictator2

Dictator2 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
Can I just say the green and blue are hard to read, plus we don't care about what they mean, we just want names.... like transformers!
Definition was the point, so people could come up with hybrids/names.

I dont think Transformer is
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 02:46   #32
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Tinky Winky
Dipsy
La La
Po

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 03:09   #33
Bromcrysal
We are but Men... ROCK!

Bromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura aboutBromcrysal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
(ffs optimus prime is practically a synonym of cool)
Wow...
I bow before you, you are a greater nerd than I.

Unfortunately, since Jolt asks people to pay for this game, Transformers names are out, 'cause of that whole Copyright thing. Japanese courts are nothing to mess with. Except Grimlock. That's originally from H.G. Wells' Time Machine, so you could use that. Actually sounds like a cool name... maybe for a Terran?

Of course, it's entirely possible that I don't know what I'm talking about
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 05:59   #34
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Besides the legal ramifications of naming things after trasnsformers, the only drawback would be that everyone would choose that race.
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 06:20   #35
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Same, really.

Quote:
Besides which, blackguard, according to the dictionary means;
'1. A thoroughly unprincipled person; a scoundrel.
2. A foul-mouthed person.'

But it sounds cool by me.
A blackguard was a shoe-shiner. Apparantly London* shoe-shiners were a bunch of thieving bastards.

Edit: Hm, online etymology doesn't quite agree with me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=blackguard&searchmode=none
blackguard
1532, of uncertain application. Perhaps once an actual military or guard unit; more likely orig. a mock-military ref. to scullions and kitchen-knaves of noble households, of black-liveried personal guards, and of shoeblacks. By 1736, sense had emerged of "one of the criminal class."
* Though I'm not sure if it's specific for London, that's the context in which I've read about it.
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 10:01   #36
Unseen

ermm

you do realise it was just a cool name that i thought would fit the theme...

[Ins] [G-II]
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 10:38   #37
Banned
Banned

Quote:
you do realise it was just a cool name that i thought would fit the theme...
What's your point?
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 10:51   #38
Unseen

lol - anyway do people like the idea?

[Ins] [G-II]
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 12:10   #39
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

I personnally do prefer a certain theme for the specific races. Like greek / roman mythology for the terrans, arachnide / bug names for the cathaar and piratesque names for the Zikonians since they are a bunch of thieves anyways.

Problem here is Xan. What is the current theme? I noticed some knife names, but also some ship names from a very bad 70's sci-fi movie, I don't even recall the name. So I agree with Gate, give them a ghostlike theme, for the cloaking issues.

So here are my suggestions (notice little changes )

Terrans (greek mythology)

Harpy
Minotaur
Siren (Syren)
Pegasus
Chimera
Centaur
Cerberus
Sphinx
Leviathan
Hydra
Griffin (Gryphon)
Centaur
Basilisk

Cathaar (all spiders or the family name in latin)

Black Widow
Tarantula
Lynx (Spider)
Araneus
Recluse
Cyclosa
Lancearias
Lycosa
Phoneutria
Atrax

Xandathrii (going Caspar on this one)

Ghost
Wraith
Goblin
Vetaalas
Churel
Spectre
Sprite
Gidim
Pontianak
Yurei
Banshee
eidelon
phantom
Shadow

Zikonian (criminal theme)

Buccaneer
Pirate
Thief
Corsair
Marauder
bandit
raider
pillager
hijacker

So basicly Xan should be changed most in my opinion (a peacekeeper is really ridiculous when it kills other ships )
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 12:22   #40
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogg
So basicly Xan should be changed most in my opinion (a peacekeeper is really ridiculous when it kills other ships )
I bet that's what people who were on the business end of Colt Peacemakers thought too.

Quote:
Xandathrii (going Caspar on this one)

Shadow
Round 6 beta flashback
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 12:26   #41
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

Well with peacekeepers I think of some UN blue helmet bunch who aren't allowed to do anything. Aswell isn't peace and violence in contradiction of each other? I due admit I never heard of the guntype before.
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 14:16   #42
Banned
Banned

Speaking of Round 6 Beta flashbacks, I found one of the early versions of the stats that still had Petru's naming scheme:

Here's Xan:

Spawn
Demon
Devil
Bane
Shadow
Banshee
Ghost
Ghoul
Wraith
Lich
Vampire
Spectre
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 14:36   #43
Cannon_Fodder

I like the banshee
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 15:12   #44
Unseen

I really want to see revenant on the list

Obviously I'd like my whole list used but I absolutely love that name

[Ins] [G-II]
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 16:33   #45
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogg
Well with peacekeepers I think of some UN blue helmet bunch who aren't allowed to do anything. Aswell isn't peace and violence in contradiction of each other? I due admit I never heard of the guntype before.
I like the PeaceKeeper, reminds me of the ones in farscape. (I saw the movie about the peacekeeper wars...****ing ace )
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 17:00   #46
Gate
;D!

From what I've seen, there are a handful of changes I'd like. The syren to a much smaller ship (Syrens are only woman sized, after all!), the removal of harpy, and the introduction of Kraken, and perhaps minotaur/titan as pods or SKs.

For cathaar, use current names, minus widowmaker and viper (not insects), putting in scorpions and mantis which should both be kill ships.

For xandathrii, use the ghost theme: Mirage, ghost, wight, revenant, phantom, spectre, wraith, banshee, vampyre.

For ziks, all pirate/thief/pirate ship type names: removal of cutlass and its replacement with 'brigand'.

That's the stuff that's seemed coolest to me so far!
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 20:17   #47
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Mario
Luigi
Toad
Bowser
Peach
DK
Yoshi
Boo
Wario
Koopa Troopa

Unread 10 Jan 2006, 23:25   #48
Cannon_Fodder

The bowser needs to be the terran sk.
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 07:54   #49
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Terran:

Gargoyle
Cerberus
Basilisk
Gorgon
Roc
Manticore
Golem
Halcyon
Seraph

Cath:

Locust
Cricket
Horntail
Weaver
Recluse
Fire Ant
Chigger
Python
Copperhead
Mamba
Asp
Cobra

Xan:

Phantom
Vapor
Shadow
Demon
Wraith
Asura
Hitodama
Ghast

Zik:

Brigantine
Scout
Monitor
Schooner
Carrack
Colossus
Neptune
Orion
Monarch
Arsenal
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2006, 14:02   #50
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

I would like to see Avatar in the Terran shipnames somewhere.