User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 12 Jan 2005, 18:34   #1
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future
Race History

Ive just written a racial history for the Terrans, and its quite good if i say so myself
Seems that a bit of fiction with some history on a front page (see the thread www.planetarion.com) or in the manual might attract some new faces, or at least add some dimension to the current game. (I like to imagine im influencing events in a pretend universe when i play this game)
If anyone wants to see this, tell me where i could host it, or i suppose i could post it here as its not too long, only about 2 pages in word. Alternitively pm me your mail and ill send it too ya in ms word form.
I could quite easily do the same for each of the other races if you people think its a good idea, as i quite enjoyed writing it.

EDIT: Perhaps this should be in suggestions now i think about it. Or fiction
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 18:37   #2
rnd|One
100% irresistible

rnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura aboutrnd|One has a spectacular aura about
Re: Race History

You could use the PA Wiki @ http://www.clawofdarkness.com/pawiki....php/Main_Page
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 18:37   #3
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Post it here so we can read it..
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 18:42   #4
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Planetarion Races: Background

The Terrans

Once a mighty empire spanning countless planets, the Terran race now lies scattered and leaderless.
This huge empire was the pinnacle of human achivement, with continuing advances in scientific research and new planets colonised every day, it seemed that a golden age of peace and prosperity had finally settled on the human race. With the centre of power residing in their homeworld of Earth in the Sol system, no-one believed war could ever again come to the socially enlightened and peaceful empire.
However, golden ages are fated never to last forever, and an empire can only maintain its power through continuing military supremacy. In 2509, The Earth Government had decided to step down military spending in order to promote artistic and social sciences, with the aim of combating the rising crime levels in some of the vast planet-sized cities of the major Terran industrial worlds. Since it had become clear (after two centuries of star searching) that humans were the only sentient race in the universe capable of interstellar travel, and due to the huge positive impact on crime that the new initiatives were having, military reductions continued. The E.G never realised how big the universe was.
After two decades of downsizing, the military had become disillusioned, and brought their case to the Arcesso Aerius (High Court) on Earth. They pleaded that the reduction in armed forces be abated, as they had possible evidence of an alien presence capable of space travel just outside the extreme boarders of the empire. They presented traders and adventurers who claimed to have been in contact with the new race, and had barely escaped with their lives.
Naturally the Grand High Judge, Krassius Liontell, dismissed these claims as hearsay and dismissed the case. He recommended that the reduction in military expenditure continue to the 25% capacity that had originally been agreed.
Enraged by the lack of concern for his men, the Supreme Commander of the Terran empire’s Navy attempted a coup in 2530. The resulting civil war between the loyalist forces and the Rebel Navy lasted for forty years, and shattered the empire beyond all hopes of repair. Huge fleets clashed in the space around mighty planets with vast defence systems, ships in there hundreds of thousands were sundered every day of the horrific war, and the populations of entire planets were wiped out by incredibly heavy bombing. All the while, refugees from the former boarders of the old empire came with news of other races rading and killing, pillaging and spreading terror.
New alliances began to emerge from the shattered remnants of the old Earth Government and the powerful Rebel Navy. Names such as Fury, Legion, NoS, Xanadu, Virus to name but a small few all waged huge wars of dominance, stopping intermittently to recover their losses in fractured peace times organised between their shadowy leaders. No one even remembered why they were fighting anymore; they were an entire generation born into an apocalyptic war.
When the Xandarthrii launched their first full-scale invasion into Terran controlled space, the war-shattered race reeled from the blow, and took loss after devastating loss.
It did not take long for the old alliances to put away their differences and combine to help repel the invaders. Even though the Xandathrii ships contained devastating weaponry with incredible range, and craft much more manoeuvrable than Terran counterparts of similar size, the Humans fought doggedly and eventually smashed the invading fleet in the solar system of Kapol. An initial warhost of Terran ships engaged the Xandathrii fleet from the front, taking horrendous losses before getting the chance to fire back and shatter the paper thin Xandathrii armour.
In the typical style of blood lust the alien navy surged after the fleeing human spacecraft into a huge asteroid field, and into the waiting claws of the main battle formation of carefully deployed terran ships, hidden from the primitive Xandathrii sensors by electromagnetic interference.

Trapped within the asteroid field, the range of the Xandathrii ships was irrelevant, and their manoeuvrability was curtailed. They were absolutely slaughtered, as numerous Terran guns pounded through the thin armour plating on the countless Xandathrii ships.
The flagship was captured, and using advanced interrogating techniques, the Xandathrii general disgorged useful information about his race, and two others of note his warlike race had come into contact with.
The Cathaar, a seemingly docile race that, despite, the fact they had been sentient for less then a tenth of the time the human race had been, was incredibly advanced, and the Zikonians. The Zikonians were apparently a race of pirates who plied their advanced ship subversion techniques to anyone who could pay the most, and who had no racial government of their own.
After years of war with the Xandathrii, which dragged in the Zikonians as elite mercenaries and eventually the Cathaar when their boarders were threathned, the Terran race is now scattered throughout the stars, with no empires and no boundaries. Each planet is now on its own, and the humans are as likely to form alliances with any of the alien races as they are with other human planets.

Perhaps one day this divided people will reform their great empire, and lead the universe into an age of prosperity, but the more cynical historians in the universe maintain that there can be no return to peace with the current political and racial climate. Not now, and not ever.
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 18:45   #5
SleepingBear
ROCK Angel

SleepingBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Love it

btw: go ahead and do the other races , you're good at this

<MrPubes> i thought about starting a new pa career as a female often enough...

R1 - R7 : Played almost all but forgot most of it
R8 - R9 : Social life
R10 : Solo ( SleepingBear of DreamLand )
R11 : ROCK ( Green Mushroom of Mushroomcity )
R12 : ROCK ( The Greatest Fall of All Time )
SleepingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 18:51   #6
fizzyxl
SiN

fizzyxl is an unknown quantity at this point

wow... thats when you know you have too much time!!
Fantastic job
fizzyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 19:18   #7
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

MrPubes can only hope to improve

That's great work, dude!
Put it on the Portal!
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 21:18   #8
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Now, I don't quite get this... I can't say for round 1, as I can't find the shipstats for it (if anyone have them, get them on the PAWiki) but atleast by round 2, the other races had been introduced, through EMP, cloaked and stealing ships (check the shipstats on the PAWiki if you want). And guess what? The various races lived together in relative harmony - atleast within each planet. If memory servers me right, NoS was founded in round 3, and unless something was seriously ****ed up with NoS command, they were not all "terran" (or war-research as it was called then). So don't use alliance names like that It only makes it sound strange.

Instead, you could say there was a period of peace between the races, where all the races lived together in peace (hence why you had access to all kind of ships - given correct research) before the zikonains suddenly withdrew from the universe to their secluded homeplanets (as in thieves were gone in round 3). The other races continued in their ever-going struggle for dominance, with ever-shifting loyalties and alliances. Then, suddenly, the Zikonians re-emerged, but refused to lend their services to "the filthy infidels". This lead to a new order (make some plausible-sounding explanation) - mentality reversed to the old, and the races went their own ways - each planet was dominated by one race and one race only. That did not, however, stop various ambitious rules to seek out allies amongst the other races and seek universal dominance.

I feel this better reflects how the game actually works, as no alliances allow one race only.

And yes, I know what you write is fiction, and this is just a game and so on, but atleast make it somewhat like the game looks.
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 21:25   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Actually, I really like having real alliances listed in the history, it makes it really realistic.

As for the War/Science differences, ships are continually upgraded anyway between rounds - perhaps the old spiders/tarantulas, etc, are obsolete?
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 21:55   #10
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

despite the criticisms, i think it's pretty good; not brilliant, but a damn good effort, i liked it

I agree there should be an attempt to explain the differences in tech though in rounds 2-5. Perhaps they were moderately successful attempts by terran engineers to gain an edge over their opponents by exploring new areas of weaponry? They were just never as good at them as Xand/Cat/Zik were. Although round 2 thieves were in one way better than the thieving/subversion we've had since round 6, perhaps we could say they were horribly inefficient, or something...
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 22:00   #11
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Good effort, needs a lot of technicalities sorted out. Will post more later.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 00:37   #12
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Good start but it does seem to contridict the actual PA history a bit. The simple solution would be to have the history as that history. Either the story has to end when round 1 starts and the only alliances mentioned should be the very earliest alliance in round 1 OR even have it so it ends something like 100 years before r1 and uses none real alliance names as that would give enough time in the timeline for things to have changed enough so it fits in but allow elements of the story to still be relevent to the real PA histiory

Otherwise its going to be nigh on impossible to have any continuity to real events and its going to just annoy people as they hold their alliance histories with alot of pride
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 01:11   #13
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Critisisms noted, thanks all.
I'll edit it now and remove the alliance names, just to be on the safe side. They were only an afterthought tbh, an idea that i thought might tie the stories into the game with some well known names.
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 01:35   #14
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukePaul
Now, I don't quite get this... I can't say for round 1, as I can't find the shipstats for it (if anyone have them, get them on the PAWiki) but atleast by round 2, the other races had been introduced, through EMP, cloaked and stealing ships (check the shipstats on the PAWiki if you want).
There were no races at all until Round 6 (iirc), considering you could have a mix of cloaked, EMP, regular and stealing ships.

This is a bit of a conundrum in the PA universe itself. Any storyline would have to explain why Terrans stopped using a combination of EMP and cloaking technologies. It is possible, but requires some work.

You could argue that the advanced Xandrathii cloaking capabilities made human cloaking technology obsolete, because it was vastly inferior. The Xandrathii had no trouble spotting Terran cloaked ships, and it is because the Xandrathii use a hybrid biological/technical design for their ships, their cloaking technology has not been adaptable for use in the Terran world.

Roughly the same could be done for EMP technology, stating that Cathaar EMP operates at such high energy levels that human EMP technology is completely useless, and that it requires a special crystal-based technology which the Cathaar are not sharing with anyone.

It's a bit artificial, though.

Last edited by Leshy; 13 Jan 2005 at 01:44.
Leshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 01:40   #15
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Which is why I suggested that the races lived together, giving each planet access to the ships of several races..
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 01:47   #16
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukePaul
Which is why I suggested that the races lived together, giving each planet access to the ships of several races..
How would you then explain the loss of stealing technology after Round 2, or why races were not mentioned at all until Round 6? I reckon it's easier to go with the notion of Terrans dropping several branches of technology for being rendered obsolete, but that's my personal opinion
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 01:53   #17
DukePaul
Retired VGN

Well, I made a sketch for it originally, where I go with the first story's original idea that the zik were mercenaries. Then, suddenly and without reason, they withdrew from the universe to their origin - outside the mapped universe to the other races. A time passed, without zik involvement in the evergoing plots and struggels. Then, the zik reemerged, but had now somehow changed - find some explanation here, maybe they for religious reasons or whatever spread viruses that made it impossible for the races to live together in close quarters (such as one virus for terran, not harming them but which would kill zik, cath or xan, and so on) forcing the races to establish their own planets, where only one race lived alone. Makes sense?
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 01:53   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
or why races were not mentioned at all until Round 6?
It's possible to imagine a situation where prior to Round 6 the races lived in relative harmony with each other (like the Federation in Starfleet). There was still conflict but it was either regional, political, or commercial (mining guild vs traders or something). Therefore the planets fighting each other in R1-R6 would have been made up of descendents of all races.

After R6 there was some kind of breakup of this arrangement (perhaps spurred on my unequal treatment or access to technologies) and conflict became increasingly "racial". Yugoslavia style the Xans declare independence and expel all Ziks from their space, etc, etc.

Of course then someone would want to write a prequel about "First Contact" (of the races meeting each other), and well, those things never go well.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 02:06   #19
Anihilat0r
Supreme ETY Pe0n

Anihilat0r is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't somebody once write a history for Xandathrii? I'm sure I remember reading it.
Anyway, this Terran history looks like a nice draft.

'Just a bunch of harmless n00bs'
Anihilat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 03:03   #20
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Therefore the planets fighting each other in R1-R6 would have been made up of descendents of all races.
That still leaves the issue unresolved of why each race has stopped using each other's technology, considering they would have had open access to it before.
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 03:12   #21
DukePaul
Retired VGN

They didnt have open access, they all lived together, and flew together, each race on the respective sort of ships.

Another theory is to say that the various races all were terran originally, then as the terarn race was spread all over the universe, mutations and science made the societies so different that they became as aliens towads each other - so far that cross-race breeding was impossible.

And so on. Only your imagination sets limits.

Perhaps r1-5 was the Garden of Eden, and Spinnder, as Adam, gave the different races names and devided them into different groups in the period between r5 and r6. Then 1up ate the forbidden fruit, and everyone was cast out of the garden of eden

(Yes, I'm joking - but we all know 1up eat babies, crucified jesus and consorts with the devil)
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 08:58   #22
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

from reading this thread the general feedback here is good, blixxard's new portal just might be compattible with having race histories as well so i'll poke him to read this thread

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 13:27   #23
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not being funny and nasty off the time you have spent writing this coz its good
But I have seen the very same thing on imperium galactia game.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 13:02   #24
Anihilat0r
Supreme ETY Pe0n

Anihilat0r is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved that game!
Better load it up and have a read.

'Just a bunch of harmless n00bs'
Anihilat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 13:15   #25
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anihilat0r
I loved that game!
Better load it up and have a read.
You have to watch the intro first playing it wating on PA tiz old but fun
Just not called terrans called something else

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jan 2005, 23:46   #26
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
You have to watch the intro first playing it wating on PA tiz old but fun
Just not called terrans called something else
I vaguely remember the IG storyline. I remember i loved it! I found the game pretty hard, but i loved the story, and the fleet combat

I think i played IG about the time i started in PA ( was a latecomer to IG, got it on budget) and i remember thinking 'hmm this is a bit like PA' but then i thought that about MOO2 and Homeworld too Wish i could play IG now. It wont work on any of my windows xp systems and my win98 system is just crap
Unread 15 Jan 2005, 00:32   #27
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neferti
I vaguely remember the IG storyline. I remember i loved it! I found the game pretty hard, but i loved the story, and the fleet combat

I think i played IG about the time i started in PA ( was a latecomer to IG, got it on budget) and i remember thinking 'hmm this is a bit like PA' but then i thought that about MOO2 and Homeworld too Wish i could play IG now. It wont work on any of my windows xp systems and my win98 system is just crap
IG2 works on my XP system, it's really good fun! Try that?
Unfortunately, the cut-scenes suffered from chronic stuttering, which is a real pity considering their quality (for the time, anyway). But the game was damn fun, It's rare I really enjoy a game nowadays, and the fact I finished it with all 3 races signifies that it is pretty damn enjoyable IMO (though I'm a strategy nut. The only other genre that gets me as hooked is the Bioware style western RPG type thing)

Has anyone played Haegemonia: Legions of Iron, and is it worth picking up? I'm seriously considering it, after I enjoyed both Imperium Galactica 2 and Star Wars: Birth of the Federation (Despite never following star trek, except when I was about 5 and watched captain Kirk), it looks tempting,...
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2005, 00:34   #28
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
Actually, I really like having real alliances listed in the history, it makes it really realistic.
NoS is just so perfect for this. Based on a 'real' secret society, the Illuminati could have risen in the new age of science and formed NoS. Or something.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2005, 18:34   #29
Neferti
part time ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
IG2 works on my XP system, it's really good fun! Try that?
Unfortunately, the cut-scenes suffered from chronic stuttering, which is a real pity considering their quality (for the time, anyway). But the game was damn fun, It's rare I really enjoy a game nowadays, and the fact I finished it with all 3 races signifies that it is pretty damn enjoyable IMO (though I'm a strategy nut. The only other genre that gets me as hooked is the Bioware style western RPG type thing)

Has anyone played Haegemonia: Legions of Iron, and is it worth picking up? I'm seriously considering it, after I enjoyed both Imperium Galactica 2 and Star Wars: Birth of the Federation (Despite never following star trek, except when I was about 5 and watched captain Kirk), it looks tempting,...
i think you mean star TREK birth of the federation?

I do have IG2, i got it when it was first out. Unfortunately i've lost the Solarian (Terran) disc which was the only race i really liked playing. I vastly preferred the original, sorry As for Haegemonia.. it's not as good as IG, but it was quite a lot like it in some ways. Far from a perfect game, i enjoyed it nonetheless bit short though, and of course annoying in places. Still worth getting though, i'd say. Graphics are remarkably good, considering the specs.