User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Nov 2004, 11:48   #1
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point
So they've made a new Goldeneye game

I'm concerned about it's chances of measuring up to the original which was a defining game for the N64

The game is called Goldeneye: Rogue Agent

Quote:
GoldenEye
Once a candidate for “00” status, GoldenEye began a swift descent into darkness after an operation against the notorious Dr. No, who personally fired the shot which cost him an eye.

Summarily dismissed from Her Majesty’s Secret Service for “reckless brutality”, GoldenEye is recruited by Auric Goldfinger to be his chief enforcer. Goldfinger’s technicians restored his sight with a gold-hued cybernetic eye, earning the rogue agent the name ‘GoldenEye’.

A master of weapons and explosives, GoldenEye’s unwavering mission is one of extreme vengeance aimed at his nemesis, Dr. No. There are no rules, no mercy.
The one player looks somewhat a cross between HL-2 and the Syphon Filter series.

However the multiplayer screenshots do look promising (and to be fair that's what people loved, even though the original goldeneye 1 player was perfect though).

What is bothering me though is the 'soonish' release date and the apparrent quiet release of it, I don't know if it's because it's being drowned out amongst the glut of big titles this november or if they are doing the old 'we made a **** up let's sneak it out before word of mouth gets around and cash in on the licensing'.

Though the internet game you can play on the site is fun... http://www.howbadru.com/
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 11:58   #2
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: So they've made a new Goldeneye game

Dude:

Halo 2
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 12:00   #3
Sunday8pm
Banned

XBOX only, this is getting a multi-platform release.... anyway isn't Halo 2 likely to be the same level again and again and again with a threadbare plot stringing it altogether?
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 12:50   #4
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Yes, but most who play it wont realise it.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 13:47   #5
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why are they talking about "Goldeneye" like it's a person? It was a satellite...

Plus, Goldfinger got sucked out a plane and Dr. No died (didn't he fall into a tub of acid or something?).

This plot sucks
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 17:45   #6
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

It's probably set in the past. Does seem silly having GoldenEye as a person though. This doesn't seem to bear much relation to the original. I loooved the original.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 18:01   #7
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I loved the original Goldeneye. It's Multiplayer has not been bettered, imo.
Unread 8 Nov 2004, 20:24   #8
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
The screenshots for the multiplayer look like an enhanced version of the original, I have hope.
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 03:13   #9
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It's EA making this game so it'll be marketted quite well I assure you. It'll probably sell quite well being a James Bond game. However, the plot seems put together just to try and make justice for the use of Goldeneye as a name.

Saying that, I've played an early build of it. It was around 2/3 months ago just a few weeks before Burnout 3 came out I think. The EA Rep made sure to point out to me that it was a very early build, and that the game has progressed more since. It didn't seem -bad- but not -great- either. Some people who had played Goldeneye on the 64 were equally as dubious but said for an early build it wasn't looking too bad.

It also got drowned out by the more polished builds of Burnout 3, Tiger Woods, LOTR Third Age and Need for Speed Underground 2 that EA also displayed at my store.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 04:23   #10
Sunday8pm
Banned

I had a good long playtest of LOTR Third age today and I was suitably impressed, I felt it hit the blend of action vs RPG quite well and I really enjoyed the levelling up system, was also rather pick up and playable.

Had lots of nice touches, voice acting not so hot though, glad they did some justice to the trilogy though.

I really want feedback on the multiplayer aspect of the new goldeneye game though when it goes retail, I've never found a shoot emp up for consoles which has quite done it since Goldeneye (Perfect dark was fun but not very immersive for everyone and Red Faction was novel but rather archaic with it's overpowered weapons).
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 11:07   #11
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

what with this being EA making this, i am very skeptical. So often they have a serious case of "Too many chefs..."

PS my villain name is Dr. David der Appolonius
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 12:00   #12
melandron
Brain Overload

melandron is an unknown quantity at this point

Personlay i've just had notice that my copy of halo 2 has shipped so that'll keep my busy for the weekend!
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 12:27   #13
DukePaul
Retired VGN

DukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really niceDukePaul is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Perfect Dark
DukePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 12:29   #14
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

I'm getting Halo 2 Ltd Edition today

My uncle works for Microsoft-Europe and is quite high up - he's sent to me as a surprise - I haven't been able to get home and play it yet since I'm at school and he rang me.

I'll let you know 1st plays when I'm home \o/
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 13:30   #15
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I've never really understood the loving relationship people have with Goldeneye.

It's simply not that great, not even multiplayer. I can only reason it's because very few FPS's exist for consoles, especially multiplayer ones and of those that do it's possibly one of the better ones.

When I compare the limited controls, graphics, weapons and awkward level design to those of the PC I guess you have to be a hardcore console player to truely enjoy this game.

I found the Quake 2 conversion to Playstation more enjoyable than this game, despite being hindered by the same awkward controls.
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 13:43   #16
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I've never really understood the loving relationship people have with Goldeneye.
In terms of console games there is nothing better than having a few mates round playing multiplayer Goldeneye. Nothing has come close to it in terms of enjoyment factor imo.
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 13:50   #17
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Quote:
I guess you have to be a hardcore console player to truely enjoy this game.
I'm not a hardcore console player (I don't even have one at the moment), and I loved Goldeneye. Single player and multi player were both great, and I agree with JC about the enjoyment.
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 14:05   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
In terms of console games there is nothing better than having a few mates round playing multiplayer Goldeneye. Nothing has come close to it in terms of enjoyment factor imo.
So I've been told, and indeed I have partaken in said activity but it just didn't blow me away or anything, after the first 1/2 hour I got bored and did something else.

Things I didn't like about the game:

Weapon choice seems somewhat limited, this wouldn't even be an issue except they aren't even a quality selection. None of the weapons I used could I find a clear advantage to, they just seemed a little too stock standard.

Level design was very linear and boring. All the rooms have a very modular layout to them with little to break up the monotomy other than the occasional column or glass window. It even goes to some extremes here and there to provide an upper level or balcony, sadly the concept is hindered by a lack of mouse looking ability (and yes, even the most useless console player can get used to the controls after a while but it's just not an efficient way to play).

Things I did like about the game:

The golden gun.
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 14:11   #19
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Proximity mines are ace on multiplayer, unless you die and appear right next to one .
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 14:13   #20
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the way the controls work on the N64 are great for goldeneye, it actually feels a lot better that most other consoles i have played on for that type of game
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 15:27   #21
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Proximity mines are ace on multiplayer, unless you die and appear right next to one .
Oh! the fun me and my bro had spraying proximity mines around the big room in the Library, and then starting off a chain reaction. Watching your own death has never been so entertaining.
Unread 9 Nov 2004, 19:26   #22
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
that and "shoot to kill" with power weapons in the temple.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 13:28   #23
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
So I've been told, and indeed I have partaken in said activity but it just didn't blow me away or anything, after the first 1/2 hour I got bored and did something else.
If you only played it for 1/2 an hour you don't really have a case for not liking it, as you didn't give it much of a chance.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 13:50   #24
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

My friends and I used to play multiplayer games where you only used proximity mines, with 10x normal health (or whatever the maximum health level was).
That was fun.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 14:34   #25
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
If you only played it for 1/2 an hour you don't really have a case for not liking it, as you didn't give it much of a chance.
It's not the first and only time I've played it, but half and hour is more than ample to get a feel for a multiplayer game, if you're not having fun by that stage it's clearly not the game for you.