User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 Jul 2006, 01:08   #101
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Over-tired!

The ad is obviously aimed at some flavour or middleclassishness, i don't get what its meant to be telling us it doesn't make sense. Vauxhalls are cheapish cars that have a shitish reputation (re topgear), lower middle class/wrking class automobiles. As far as i can tell in the ad an immigrant family moves into a fairlynew middleclass housing estate, and the neighbours are overcome with jealousy and wish to keepup with the joneses (or in this case kumars/singhs/khans), but noone in that situation would be impressed with vauxhalls* in nouveau suburbia you'd need 3series bmws and aclass mbenzies for that.

The ad ends

you should get your two together with our two**
my mother bought us that
its been a long day for them
oh they're tired

it makes far more sense to say 'oh they're tired' and refer back to the preceding comment ('its been a long day for them') than 'overtired'

*opels to anyone outside britain
** clearly symbolic of the wife swapping that goes on in these types of communities
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 01:27   #102
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo

it makes far more sense to say 'oh they're tired' and refer back to the preceding comment ('its been a long day for them') than 'overtired'
Not really. "Overtired" actually relates to the previous comment - "It's been a long day for them (hence they are) overtired"

If it was "oh, they're tired" it doesn't relate back to the previous comment, because the "oh" would show that they're actually somewhat surprised that they're tired, when clearly they expect them to be because of their previous comment.
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 02:24   #103
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This says a LOT for these forums where "a bunch of fat kids in an advert and what they say at the end of it" reaches page 3.

Lordy lordy.
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 03:08   #104
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
This says a LOT for these forums where "a bunch of fat kids in an advert and what they say at the end of it" reaches page 3.

Lordy lordy.
I agree with your point.

however you have consistently been a part of the problem and not the solution therefore I consider it disingenuous of you to point out this perfectly valid point
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 03:26   #105
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I agree with your point.

however you have consistently been a part of the problem and not the solution therefore I consider it disingenuous of you to point out this perfectly valid point
OH SHUT UP YOU SILLY POSH FLOPPY HAIRED TWOT!
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 14:14   #106
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
*opels to anyone outside britain
Or Holden to Aussies.
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 15:03   #107
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliterate
Not really. "Overtired" actually relates to the previous comment - "It's been a long day for them (hence they are) overtired"

If it was "oh, they're tired" it doesn't relate back to the previous comment, because the "oh" would show that they're actually somewhat surprised that they're tired, when clearly they expect them to be because of their previous comment.
no, if it made sense, YOU WOULDNT HAVE TO PUT THAT ****ING BIT IN IN BRACKETS, WOULD YOU?
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 15:07   #108
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliterate
it's not so much surprise. it's more condescension. "awww" would be a synonym.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 15:10   #109
Tomkat

I know they're shit actors, but surely if they were going to say "Oh, they're tired" they wouldn't say it in such dull monotonous voices. They'd say "Ohhh... they're tired!" or similar.

Whereas "overtired" can be said in a dull monotonous way, as it's only a single word and it's supposed to be a little patronising.
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 15:12   #110
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

not really, no. it's how i'd say it, were i saying it.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 15:21   #111
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

there is CLEARLY a pause between the o and the rest of the sentence, no, i don't know about hte rest of you, but if i were to say 'overtired' i wouldnt say it o, vertired, as that would be silly (also, to be honest, i would either say he/she or they are overtired, rather than just overtired but i digress)

so the sentence MUST be oh, they're tired.
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 15:24   #112
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
i don't know about hte rest of you, but if i were to say 'overtired' i wouldnt say it o, vertired, as that would be
Yeah but you're not a fat shitty child actor.

OR ARE YOU?
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 15:25   #113
roadrunner_0
cynic

shut it cancer boy
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 15:37   #114
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You're all terrible human beings by the way.

(p.s. I'm pretty sure that adverts are made (or will deliberately be made) with errors or ambiguities so retards give them loads of free publicity and/or it sticks more in the memory. Remember that a tinfoil hat can protect you from at least 60% of the mind control rays. Thanks for listening and keep safe.)
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 16:19   #115
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i thought cillitbang was the greatest make-a-shit-ad-as-a-talking-point ever but ste says they were serious about it
Unread 23 Jul 2006, 18:10   #116
roadrunner_0
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
You're all terrible human beings by the way.

(p.s. I'm pretty sure that adverts are made (or will deliberately be made) with errors or ambiguities so retards give them loads of free publicity and/or it sticks more in the memory. Remember that a tinfoil hat can protect you from at least 60% of the mind control rays. Thanks for listening and keep safe.)

STAY AWAY FROM THE TIN-FOIL HATS I TELL YOU!