User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Nov 2004, 14:20   #1
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold
upload speed manager

yeah, i kind of need one so i can tell it to go and limit bittorrent's upload speed, 'cause the way it's going now will be bad for me bandwith limitations
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 14:56   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: upload speed manager

most bittorrent clients have an upload limiter built in. as bittorrent, allegedly, only downloads at a rate comparible to your upload using the in program one is the same as using an external one.

that said, if you google for netlimiter you should find something

-mist
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 15:05   #3
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Which client are you using? If you limit your upload to 80% it wont affect your download speed.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 15:09   #4
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Same point I was about to make, which puzzles me why people think netlimiter is going to be any better for them. Smart bittorrent clients will realise the connection is being choked and either lower the available bandwidth the offending client can use or ban it altogether from recieving anything, you're only hurting yourself by doing this.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 15:15   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Same point I was about to make, which puzzles me why people think netlimiter is going to be any better for them. Smart bittorrent clients will realise the connection is being choked and either lower the available bandwidth the offending client can use or ban it altogether from recieving anything, you're only hurting yourself by doing this.
But if you have a download/upload limit a month, what are you to do?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 15:24   #6
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
I use it so it wont kill the download by flodding the upload, plus it gives me pretty stats
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 16:02   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
get a better ISP?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 16:33   #8
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

I don't mean this as a personal attack, but why are accounts named "Fluffie" and "Luckeh!!!" allowed to exist?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 16:36   #9
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Seems quite a personal attack
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 17:57   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
stop using bittorrent.
if you bought a connection with an up/down limit you can't have expected to be able to warez on it. i hope.

-mist
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 18:07   #11
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

nohup btdownloadheadless --max_upload_rate 12 --display_interval 60 --responsefile whatever.torrent &

best client ever
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 05:12   #12
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucks
I use it so it wont kill the download by flodding the upload, plus it gives me pretty stats
Yes but most bittorrent clients are well capable of doing this without any external help. In Shad0w's Experimental (bittornado) for example You have options for limiting the amount up upload bandwidth and connections other clients may use from you. You just have to set it within a range that your particular connection can handle. The newer clients also have an Automatic feature that adjusts the settings according to how much load is currently on the connection and does its best to avoid the upstream from saturating the downstream.
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 06:10   #13
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
I don't mean this as a personal attack, but why are accounts named "Fluffie" and "Luckeh!!!" allowed to exist?
to further the warm and fluffy image that is planetarion

-mist
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 10:52   #14
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
nohup btdownloadheadless --max_upload_rate 12 --display_interval 60 --responsefile whatever.torrent &

best client ever
btdownloadcurses inside a screen is better
Unread 29 Nov 2004, 11:03   #15
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

im not even sure what the difference is?