User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 May 2004, 11:40   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
USB power when PC is off

I got my external HD USB bracket this week and I came accross a little annoyance: USB provides power when the PC is off (so it seems).
Because the USB port keeps providing the bracket power when the comp is off, the fan in the bracket doesn't stop spinning. I skimmed through the BIOS, but I was unable to find something that looked like it had to do with the USB power state. Google hasn't been a friend yet either.
So is there a way to turn the power of the USB port off? I don't want a whirring bracket next to my comp all the time.
Unread 29 May 2004, 14:24   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: USB power when PC is off

Doesn't the big On/Off switch at the back of the PC work?
Unread 29 May 2004, 16:21   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Doesn't the big On/Off switch at the back of the PC work?
That requires extra effort, and is therefore not an option.
Unread 29 May 2004, 16:39   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Switching the Big Flip(tm) or pulling out the power cable are the only two things I can think of off-hand, I'm afraid.
Unread 29 May 2004, 16:49   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is your BIOS set to allow the PC to wake from USB or mouse? Not sure if that'd bugger it up to be honest but it's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
Unread 29 May 2004, 20:11   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You think that's bad, well one of my mates had a PC that went slightly demented.
It had an external USB hub (plugged into an onboard USB port and also a power lead going to the wall obviously). When he shut his PC down, the USB hub somehow kept supplying power to it with the net result that the PC was trying to run off the USB hub's power (which subsequently melted).

Bloody odd.
Unread 30 May 2004, 13:45   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

my previous mobo used to keep providing power to my PS2 ports, so my keyboard light would remain turned on.

there wasn't anything in the BIOS for this, and basically I couldn't do fk all about it.

Same with my bro's comptuer too, his optical mouse light remains on after the comp is turned off (also PS2)
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2004, 14:05   #8
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: USB power when PC is off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
my previous mobo used to keep providing power to my PS2 ports, so my keyboard light would remain turned on.

there wasn't anything in the BIOS for this, and basically I couldn't do fk all about it.
Are you sure? In my experience, the "Power on by Keyboard" function is responsible for this. Even if it doesn't work, the numlock LED will stay on.

You usually have 2 settings for this, (inside the bios and a jumper).
Maybe turning both off would do the trick?
Unread 30 May 2004, 15:26   #9
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

My keyboard in it's PS/2 port has all lights turned off when the PC is off - yet my optical PS/2 connected mouse will keep on being lit. Oddness++;
Unread 30 May 2004, 17:49   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Jumper J12: Front USB wakeup jumper

I'll have to try that one out. My bios does have this wakeup on USB, but it's off. So that's one other thing that could keep the power on.
And I have the same thing with the optical mouse light staying on though I don't find that particulary annoying.
Unread 30 May 2004, 18:30   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Me neither. I normally unplug the PC at night anyway.