User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Apr 2004, 20:59   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Computing Spec Question

Rightyho....

Is 400 quid reasonable for ....

AMD AthlonXp 2000+
40gig HDD
256Meg DDR Ram
Asus board with onboard VGA/Sound/Lan/usb2 etc (Geforce 4mx 440 nforce2)
Floppy
Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers
Oh and a Case.

Opinions.

p.s. i dont want 'its a crap idea to have onboard etc'. Just want to know as a 'base level' most basic Pc whether thats a good deal or not.

Ta
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:00   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Computing Spec Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
Rightyho....

Is 400 quid reasonable for ....

AMD AthlonXp 2000+
40gig HDD
256Meg DDR Ram
Asus board with onboard VGA/Sound/Lan/usb2 etc (Geforce 4mx 440 nforce2)
Floppy
Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers
Oh and a Case.

Opinions.

p.s. i dont want 'its a crap idea to have onboard etc'. Just want to know as a 'base level' most basic Pc whether thats a good deal or not.

Ta
bit expensive tbh, why ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:03   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Infact heres the other specs....

Mid Range :

Chieftec Dragon Case,
DVD RW
80gig Wd HDD
P4 2.6ghz
512meg DDR
XFX Geforce Card
19" monitor
Speakers/Keyboard/Mouse

650 quid.

OR

high Spec :

Coolermaster Wavemaster Case
P4 2.6 ghz
WD 200gig HDD
512meg DDR
8x DVDRW
XFX 5700
KB/Mouse
Logitech 6.1 Surround speakers

W/TFT = £1200
W/19" CRT = £1100
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:04   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
bit expensive tbh, why ?
im curious as to what is seen as acceptable nowadays because tbh ive lost all track. I havnt purchased a pc from a proper dealer in ages.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:05   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

i can build a better one for 255
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:06   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

see
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:06   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

how?
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:07   #8
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

like that ^
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:07   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

for another 50 quid or so could double the ram and put it in a better case.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:08   #10
JammyJim
Godfather

your missing the 17" monitor
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:09   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

sorry yes. a 17" monitor is included in that price.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:10   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

add 80 quid.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:12   #13
JammyJim
Godfather

ok.

for a "pre built" system is it decent or not. if you had no clue about how to put it together and didnt want to learn.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:12   #14
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Jammy, how much money are you willing to spend?

That way we can price you a decent one and you can go out and compare.

Seems you need a 17" monitor, although I recommend at least a Flat screen CRT and some speakers right? 2.1, 4.1 or 5.1?

What about Optical drives?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:17   #15
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
ok.

for a "pre built" system is it decent or not. if you had no clue about how to put it together and didnt want to learn.
well its a bit of a wank system to begin with tbh, the ram should be double if not quadrupled, and it needs a much better graphics card.

that aside, you generally cant get a spec that low (heh) built anymore

but if you could, it'd probably be about 300-350 or so.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:23   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

it was more for my gfs brothers friend.

im not entirely sure what spec he wants so im going to pitch 3 different ones too him at those prices.

Obviously there is some 'margin' in the prices i gave.

Im trying to 'gauge' reponse. Obviously most of you here could build it yourself for less but im curious to see what people thought who might not know.

Theres also the problem of Windows. That adds another 70 odd quid onto the cost.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:27   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On-board sound/lan/usb (usb especially) aren't bad, they're good. It's onboard graphics that is bad, because it shares the system ram.

Building PC's is easy. Really easy. Really really easy, as long as you're not an imbecile.

And if you're willing to merely have a 17" monitor, you could get a PC of higher spec than the 'High Spec' one for a cost under the medium spec one.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:30   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
it was more for my gfs brothers friend.
If you want to fleece someone, then include a DVDRW always. They sound expensive, yet cost about £70.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:34   #19
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

its probably better to get a pre-built one

I can recommend Mesh, bought 3 comps from them

£586 http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/matrix_m_1.htm

£821 http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/matrix_m_2.htm

£938 http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/matrix_a_1.htm
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:35   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
its probably better to get a pre-built one
It's almost never better to get a prebuilt one.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 21:57   #21
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I can sell you a P4 1.8, 512 meg rambus 800, 160gig hd, GeForce 3 Ti200, Soundblaster Live! Platinum, CDRW/DVD for £250.

2 Years old, no warranty, but I'll stick on whatever programs you want as well, heh.
Unread 12 Apr 2004, 22:00   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Ah, Rambus. Oh how Intel loved you, and how ignored by everyone else you were.