User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Dec 2003, 19:33   #1
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
ADSL question

what would be considered as a *good* download speed on a 1meg line?

ta

Last edited by Madina; 7 Dec 2003 at 20:00.
Madina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 19:49   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: ASDL question

128K/sec
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 7 Dec 2003, 20:06   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Optimally you'd be looking at 128Kb/s, the best I've got is around 120Kb/s, anything around that is considered good.
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 00:10   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bear in mind that many servers are not capable of delivering files to you at that sort of speed (indeed, many will throttle downloads back to lower speeds to keep bandwidth alive for www traffic).
You will see best performance when downloading 2 or 3 files from seperate networks.

I just tested our 1Mbit line at http://bos.speakeasy.net/ and got 726kbit/s which isn't bad as there're 7 other people connected and it has to go through 2 switches and a router to get to the cable modem from my bedroom.

Unread 8 Dec 2003, 17:40   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
has to go through 2 switches and a router to get to the cable modem from my bedroom.
i hope to hell none of you are doing networking related degrees
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 17:48   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Bearing in mind the router is an old P200 which hits max CPU usage when transferring at those sorts of speeds, it does add a significant time delay and hence a speed reduction.

So nyeer nyeer.

Unread 8 Dec 2003, 17:50   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

get a decent router then you gimp :P
Unread 8 Dec 2003, 18:41   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Pay me, i'm a student.

/me sneaks £10 out of NB3's pocket, makes a runner, comes back, pinches some beer from his garage, and runs off again.

Unread 8 Dec 2003, 20:09   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

you assume that a) i have a spare tenner and b) that i have spare beer
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 22:29   #10
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Bearing in mind the router is an old P200 which hits max CPU usage when transferring at those sorts of speeds, it does add a significant time delay and hence a speed reduction.

So nyeer nyeer.

your p200 struggles at 1mbit type speeds??

thats a rather slow p200.

Zar
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2003, 22:49   #11
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

you overestimate how slow a P200 is

I own one, bloody crap
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 00:00   #12
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Pffft, some of us still use 486's here :P
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 2003, 01:48   #13
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

It's not the network transfer that kills it, it's the packet analysis and other services (it's a firewall and intrusion attempt detector, and an HTTP proxy, and a SOCKS4/5 proxy, etc).