User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:09   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Computer just died, time for a new one

My computer just passed away and i think it's time to look for a new one.

I was hoping some people could point me in the right direction.

Is the dell outlet still a good place to look? Anything i should know about ordering from there (i know how to find the cheap ones)? Do they rip you off on delivery or anything?

Are there any other places that people could recommend?

Basically my motherboard has died. It takes pc133 sdram and a athalon 1.4Ghz. This means i still have a working hard drive, cdrom, dvd, sound card, ethernet card, etc.

What about the shuttle option? I have no idea about them except "they're quite small".

I don't thinki i'd be that confident putting it all together from scratch in case something went wrong but i'm fine installing more ram, a new hdd, pic things etc.

Thanks for any help guys
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:19   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Computer just died, time for a new one

I've got an older Shuttle (SN41G2). And I love it so, had it about a year now. Currently got it running an XP2800+ with a Radeon 9600XT, no problems with heat if you're using one of the newer AMD procs (though there are P4 Shuttle cases too).

It's a bit fiddly putting things in sometimes, you're routing cables round through little holes which can get a little frustrating but in return for a couple of hours work you have a very quiet little box, that looks pretty neat, is perfect for lanning etc etc.

I have recently been buying all my components off www.overclockers.co.uk, having been ****ed about by Ebuyer one too many times.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:37   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Can you buy shuttles with the cpu/motherboard/etc already all connected?

Where's the best place to look?

Am browsing OCUK but all not sure if they come already connected etc..
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:44   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Shuttles come with
  • Motherboard
  • Heat-pipe cooling doohickey
  • Some onboard stuff, normally LAN, sound, usb, firewire, GFX

You don't get a CPU, RAM, drives. There's two slots, one for a PCI card and one for an AGP card. You may be hard pressed to run a very high-end GFX card in it since the power supply is only 200W in my one, but at the minute as I say I have that proc, that GFX card, two hdds, a cd-rewriter, wireless lan pci card all chugging away happily, never had a problem with the power.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:58   #5
Ragnarak

http://www.instant-shop.com/ishs-esh...ory390164.html

Here they let you select what you want and then build it for you for an extra 40 quid.

Are there any similar sites that anyone could recommend?

How much ram should i be looking at? It's like 4 years since i looked for a computer

At the minute i have a 1.4Ghz Athlon with 512MB pc133 sdram. Apart from dying on me it performed fine.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 21:27   #6
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Dell = shite

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 22:39   #7
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Vaio, I agree.

Custom systems all the way.

Or if you're lacking in want to do so, Sky computers did a very good job with the computers over at my dad's work and our first computer, never had anything problems with either in 3 and respectively 6 years

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 23:02   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

what is your price range btw?
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 01:26   #9
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

the standard these days is about 512-1gb of ddr ram.

unless you're a serious gamer - i would suggest going for the cheapest of the high range machines you can get because price increases tend to be geometric and its not that wise to spend bucket loads when the perfomance increase isnt proportional
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 11:05   #10
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
what is your price range btw?

It's not really fixed but i'd like it to be as cheap as possible. I was thinking somewhere around £400 but could go more if that wasn't enough.
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 13:21   #11
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
It's not really fixed but i'd like it to be as cheap as possible. I was thinking somewhere around £400 but could go more if that wasn't enough.
you can get a very nice computer for £400.

Are you looking for a monitor also?
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 14:18   #12
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Shuttle boxes are pretty cool. I used a couple as mini servers in my last job and apart from being 'a little noisy' for other users (I always had music playing so it didn't bother me) they ran fine until I discovered how cool rack mount servers are but thats another story.

You could get hold of a new motherboard pretty cheaply. It's not difficult to install one and once you've done your first, your confidence will grow for the future when you need to do a similar upgrade.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 10:40   #13
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
you can get a very nice computer for £400.

Are you looking for a monitor also?
Nope my monitor works fine.

The thing is i don't really want to put it together myself cos in theory i can do it easily but then when something doesn't work i dunno if i could diagnose what's wrong.
Unread 2 Jul 2004, 20:00   #14
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

have a look at these...

http://www.autdirect.co.uk/
http://www.aria.co.uk/
http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/

e.g. http://www.autdirect.co.uk/acatalog/...ml&CatalogBody (scroll down)

...AMD 3000+ and everything except HD and video card for £225, needs a bit of extra memory too. (they have "barebones" P4 and shuttles too)

I'm looking at buying something similar myself this weekend

I've been looking (drooling) at shuttle/SFF systems, not sure if they're "the future" or just a gimmick though. Seems a waste getting one without having a tft screen too.

Last edited by 1-X; 2 Jul 2004 at 21:36.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote