User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 May 2004, 09:08   #1
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road
Computer Problem

Right, everytime I login to my computer, it's as if ive just bought a new computer.
Nothing is in my documents. My wallpaper is the default Packard Bell one.
My Favourites folder has gone. All my internet options have been reset.
And I ahve to get to my original documents my going:

My Computer>HDD(C>Documents and Settings>Francis Chudley ( Thats me)>Owners Documents. All this just to get to what used to be in My Documents.

It is like its a new computer and its gone back to default settings. All of my desktop icons are gone too. :/

I've done a full system Virus scan with up to the date definitions Using Norton Anti Virus.
And found nothing. So I have no idea whats happening.

So any help on this would be much appreciated.
Unread 12 May 2004, 10:07   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Re: Computer Problem

Quote:
...Packard Bell...
Solved.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2004, 10:10   #3
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This happened to mine quite recently too.
It was bizarre - it didn't detect any drivers either, so my mouse didn't work or anything.

I just ran System Restore, lost a few files I'd added recently, and everything was hunky-dorey.
Unread 12 May 2004, 10:12   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Your profile has been corrupted, probably.

You could just create a new profile (do it through users/passwords in Control Panel I suppose) and then move over the relevent files. Or use System Restore. There's probably another way, but buggered if I know.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2004, 13:57   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Could be it is restoring itself upon every boot, like some OEM recovery system.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2004, 14:38   #6
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

any more suggestions please.
Unread 12 May 2004, 20:33   #7
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Get your mate Derren Brown to fix it with his magic powers!!!!!!!!!!11
Unread 12 May 2004, 21:43   #8
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

ok i tried System Restore. But compuer said it couldnt restore as profile was corrupted.

So i've now created a new profile and transfered the files I needed.
This seems to have worked for now. (Thanks Dante Hicks)