User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Jan 2004, 01:50   #1
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
MATHS: Integration

Integral of (cos(x))^4

or (cosine of x) to the 4th whichever, anyone have an idea?

I think i did this question a bit wrongly anyway...
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 02:08   #2
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough
Re: MATHS: Integration

yeah i believe u treat it as ((cos (x)) ^2 ) ^2
i aint done a lvl maths for about a year, but i think u either use a double angle formula for (cos (x) ^2) or something along those lines, or maybe u have an identiy for the integral of cos(x)^2 ?
if so it'd simply be 1/3 * (integral of cos(x) ^2) ^ 3 i believe. Edit: + C
R4: Seal left to ReCon then TRT (ReBorn)
R5-8: Don't remember exact order, but, ReBorn, Silver, Legends
R9: Didn't Play
R9.5-11: FAnG Defence Genius & later HC
R12: LCH Defence Genius
R13 and beyond: Angels Genius
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 02:08   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

http://integrals.wolfram.com/
tap in Cos[x]^4
You can do it just using trig identities and that the integral of cos is sin. You might be expected to use integration by parts and an iteration formula instead depending on the question but if not don't worry about it.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 02:14   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

nah... I think i done the question wrong then, the answer needs to be something simple.

http://www.starlance.freeserve.co.uk/pics/p1.bmp
http://www.starlance.freeserve.co.uk/pics/p2.bmp
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 02:42   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
nah... I think i done the question wrong then, the answer needs to be something simple.

http://www.starlance.freeserve.co.uk/pics/p1.bmp
http://www.starlance.freeserve.co.uk/pics/p2.bmp
The answer isnt simple, it's that (you need to enter it in the exact syntax queball used).
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 09:23   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
You might be expected to use integration by parts and an iteration formula instead depending on the question but if not don't worry about it.
It looks to be P5 to me, so qbll is correct in that you need to use an iteration formula.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 13:42   #7
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

I hate cosines, convert them into exponentials and then bring it back.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 13:59   #8
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

cos^2 = 0.5(1+cos 2x)

0.25(1 + 2 cos 2x + cos^2 2x)

0.25(1 + 2 cos 2x + 0.5(1+cos 4x))

rit?

int of cos 2x and cos 4x are both pretty easy.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2004, 16:49   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

my workings is incorrect, so I don't get (cos(x))^4, thnx all