User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jan 2004, 12:40   #1
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Soon to be upgrading...

I've had a look around, and found a CELERON 2.8GHZ processer with 128KB Cache for about £84.
Any thoughts on the matter?
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 13:40   #2
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Re: Soon to be upgrading...

Whats the computer for? If its games, you'll be better off with a P4 or Athlon. 2600XP at dabs for £68, and it'll run faster than a 2.8ghz celery.
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 15:38   #3
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

What about an Athlon 2800XP + 333MHz 512kb cache?

Yes, it will be to handle games. Ive seen one for approx £80...
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 16:03   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

just to highlight how crap celerys are, a 1.6Ghz DURON (about £35 here) beat out a 2.6Ghz Celery in games and other bench marks, http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927 (it also beats the P4 1.8A in some cases!)

that AXP2800+ will be a good buy.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 17:44   #5
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Unless you have £££ to burn, don't be suckered into paying the premium on faster CPUs. There's usually a large (up to 50%) price difference between the top of the range and just under it (with only a 10% or so performance difference at best, and thats only when running at full pelt). You'll be better off investing that £20-30 saved in faster ram or a better quality mainboard.
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 20:52   #6
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

speaking of such, is there any way of finding out your motherboad's specs?
The reason I ask is cus i've lost the sodding paperwork when I got it a year ago

I have searched control panel without success. I probably just didnt look hard enough...
Unread 4 Jan 2004, 01:49   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Are there no markings on your motherboard?

I suppose one way would be to look under your northbridge heatsink and quote the chip model for us.

3DMark 2001/2003 it can sometimes give the model number or try SiSoft Sandra and go to mainboard information.

btw, if your mobo is a year old it is likely that your mobo does not support an AMD Barton, or might need a BIOS update (if its a VIA KT333 based then most likely needs a BIOS flash)

as for price, £80 for a 2800+ is not bad, the 2500+ can be had for about £50-65 i believe, admittedly the difference isn't too great in terms of performance although should be noticeable enough but then the price isn't that much either, most, if not all AMD cpus have high bang for buck rating imo.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2004, 19:30   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Having recently built a PC, the cheapest processor is the Athlon XP 2600+ (not Barton, which doesn't really matter if you're not overclocking).

What's your current processor?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2004, 20:30   #9
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

I've checked out the motherboard, and yes they are compatible.
Cheers everyone.