User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Dec 2003, 19:15   #51
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: LOTR - Return Of The King

Let's face facts, absolutely nobody* would have actually wanted to sit through the extra hour to do the bit at the end with Saruman. I was dreading sitting through it.

*geeks aren't real people.
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 19:24   #52
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

*the people who buy the extended editions.

At least he could have shot the damn thing.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 19:26   #53
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhall
Bah stupid scene - an undefetable creature killed with two blows but she gets hit twice with a mace (once on the head) about 1/2 her size and gets up to kill him, wtf no no no!!!! and it was just so cheesy - so wrong.
Blame Peter Jackson's interpretation.
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 19:28   #54
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
At least he could have shot the damn thing.

It would have made a better movie if he'd shot all the geeks instead.
Unread 19 Dec 2003, 23:51   #55
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

Excellent film, best of the three. There did seem to be multiple endings however. Not that I found it overlong, but I was beginning to wonder if it would ever end.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 00:38   #56
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

right, just went and picked up a ticket...I get to go see it in 1.5 hours, and am like, all excited and shit

:Aragorn:
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 01:50   #57
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nondescript Human
Excellent film, best of the three. There did seem to be multiple endings however. Not that I found it overlong, but I was beginning to wonder if it would ever end.
I just saw it, i thought it was gonna end when that ship sailed off, but no... still more...
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 02:46   #58
SomeOneYouKnow
Treepex

SomeOneYouKnow is an unknown quantity at this point

argh argh argh,
i cant wait to watch it...
i think im gonna watch it 2 days later
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 05:52   #59
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

aside from the ending that just wouldn't come....that was certainly one of the best films I've seen, and definitely the best of the 3

And that Gimli...I nearly pissed myself when he spoke, funny funny

:Gimli:

Last edited by Dilly_D; 20 Dec 2003 at 06:26.
Dilly_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 10:15   #60
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilly_D
And that Gimli...I nearly pissed myself when he spoke, funny funny

:Gimli:
"That sitll only counts as one!"

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 14:11   #61
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
"That sitll only counts as one!"

"little chance for success, certain death.........what are we waiting for?"

or something to that effect
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 14:14   #62
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

im leaving to see it in about 10 minutes...

and i bet ill love it

wahey!
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 14:16   #63
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

I'm convinced that you will
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 01:12   #64
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough

Many people have raised the same issues, but I'll list them anyway;
Sam leaving was out of character. I was like "ok, Frodo told him to go home, wonder if he'll stick with them anyway, or hang back a while and follow unseen" and he starts going home?!? And once he left, why go back after he discovers the lembas, didn't he already know they'd be there?
The multiple endings was utterly gay, it could have ended after the crowning of Aragon. I was absolutely convinced (I blame the internet) that Sam and Frodo would start kissing. I didn't like his (the guy who plays Frodo) acting elsewhere, but you just gotta respect being able to do such a scene and not breaking out in laughter.
The ghost army was cheesy, woulda made a bit more sense if they were corporeal and there was some actual fighting, not just "oh we're invincible, our side wins gg thx4playin".
Eowyn was kinda left dangling after Aragon left, but her fighting was cool, and I didn't think the "I'm not a man" line was cheesy at all.
The mad guy burning his own son was kinda out of nowhere, they should either have developed them more (as others have hinted they are in the book) or cut that part of the story out entirely.
And what happened to Gandalf's dragon-repellant light after he used it once? Why not again as the Nazgül attack the city?

In the books, does Sting (Frodos "sword") have any other magic abilities than warning of orcs?

I cried at Aragons crowning.

The fight scenes all rocked.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 01:47   #65
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i havetn read the book for about 2 years and theres a lot in it... but i THINK that sam never does actually leave and start to go home in the book... could be wrong. And the whole "why go back after the lembas" thing is something else i was thinking about, you can only guess that he was in such bad condition his mind wasnt working properly, or some other rubbish.

i think the general idea is that :Gandalf: is generally just marshalling all the defences etc of minas tirith and doesnt have time for random general things like dragon repelling.

they did develop mad guy more in the book.

i dont THINK sting has any extra powers... actually, almost certain it doesnt.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 12:29   #66
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Sting just has the ability to detect orcs, as well as being a pointy thing.

Viggo Mortisson forgot how to act in the last third.

The ghost army was a bit of a deus ex.

The Dwarf stuff was rubbish.

So was the Legolas/Spiderman bit.

So was the random orc captain; all he ever seemed to do was 'Something else... flash to the orc. Orc shouts KILL! or somesuch, flash back.' Is he just a gratuitous deformed orc?

The funniest thing in the film is the 'My body is broken' line, because my mind automatically said after it 'and my mind is old and bent'.

There was no voice of saruman

There were many discontinuities, but the worse won was probably that the hobbits were the same height at the end (the ent brew that was in TTT; I can't remember whether it was just in the EE or not) given that Pippin and Merry were taller and referred to as taller.

The hillarity of the 'on fire and run off the cliff!'

The way he cut out saruman so he could include the worst parts of the random endings, The scouring should have been included too. People said before the film that it would make the end drag on too much BUT IT DID ANYWAY, and is one of the better parts of the trilogy.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 12:48   #67
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
So was the Legolas/Spiderman bit.

There were many discontinuities, but the worse won was probably that the hobbits were the same height at the end (the ent brew that was in TTT; I can't remember whether it was just in the EE or not) given that Pippin and Merry were taller and referred to as taller.

The hillarity of the 'on fire and run off the cliff!'
1) wrong. that was ace. he was climbing up on the arrows that had hit the Oliphaunt in ninja style. excellent little touch.

2)agreed. that was the biggest sticking point for me at the end of the film (other thnan the whole hothobbitsex0r aspect)

3)That was worthy of a laugh.

edit: plus, it needed a whole lot more palantir going on. EE maybe?
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 12:53   #68
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
1) wrong. that was ace. he was climbing up on the arrows that had hit the Oliphaunt in ninja style. excellent little touch.
I know what he was doing. It was like riding the shield down the steps in the Two Towers; silly and unnecessary.

At least the hobbits stopped being 'comedy'
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 14:12   #69
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

legolas was amusing... and the girls love him... leave him be, the lovely little fellow.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 14:26   #70
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Girls also like reading ChickLit. It doesn't make it good.

And Legolas was not amusing.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 15:14   #71
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Sting just has the ability to detect orcs, as well as being a pointy thing..
Any enemies actually, not just orcs :P

Quote:
Viggo Mortisson forgot how to act in the last third..
There wasn't much in the way of talking for most of the film actually. They didn't show how important and dangerous going into the paths of the dead was either. In the book there's a chance Aragorn won't be accepted. In the film it was pretty much accepted, and rushed too. Oh well.

Quote:
The ghost army was a bit of a deus ex..
Well how else would they have done it? You can't hit a ghost, so the orcs were pretty much screwed.

Quote:
The Dwarf stuff was rubbish..
Was an improvement though, they didn't use him for the "funny short man" as much.

Quote:
So was the Legolas/Spiderman bit..
It was ok, a little cheesy. Apart from that Legolas did nothing, so he needed his "moment".

Quote:
So was the random orc captain; all he ever seemed to do was 'Something else... flash to the orc. Orc shouts KILL! or somesuch, flash back.' Is he just a gratuitous deformed orc?.
Yes.

Quote:
There were many discontinuities, but the worse won was probably that the hobbits were the same height at the end (the ent brew that was in TTT; I can't remember whether it was just in the EE or not) given that Pippin and Merry were taller and referred to as taller..
Nerd.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 15:41   #72
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Any enemies actually, not just orcs :P
No, just orcs.

Quote:
There wasn't much in the way of talking for most of the film actually. They didn't show how important and dangerous going into the paths of the dead was either. In the book there's a chance Aragorn won't be accepted. In the film it was pretty much accepted, and rushed too. Oh well.
No, I mean the way his accent went american.

Quote:
Well how else would they have done it? You can't hit a ghost, so the orcs were pretty much screwed.
I've not given it much thought, given I'm not actually making the film. But having the army of undead swarming through the entire orc army in a matter of moments was a bit over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKat
Was an improvement though, they didn't use him for the "funny short man" as much.
Just because it was worse in the other films, making it less bad in this one isn't an improvement.

Quote:
It was ok, a little cheesy. Apart from that Legolas did nothing, so he needed his "moment".
Why do they need to give him a 'moment'? He's had enough coverage in the rest of the films; they didn't feel the need to give Gimli a 'moment'.

Quote:
Nerd.
Lol I like films to make sense lol.
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 16:06   #73
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Just because it was worse in the other films, making it less bad in this one isn't an improvement.
I would have thought that was the definition of an improvement. Although i personally enjoyed the stupid dwarf stuff.

Quote:
Why do they need to give him a 'moment'? He's had enough coverage in the rest of the films; they didn't feel the need to give Gimli a 'moment'..
When Gimli fights it obviously doesnt look as "cool". + he is not as pretty, its a film, concentrating on the more aesthetically pleasing fighters is obviously going to happen. Thats kind of the whole premise between kung fu films... fighting that looks really neat.

Quote:
Lol I like films to make sense lol.
lol i like films to be fun lol
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 16:18   #74
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
I would have thought that was the definition of an improvement. Although i personally enjoyed the stupid dwarf stuff.
Insert 'much of an'

Quote:
When Gimli fights it obviously doesnt look as "cool". + he is not as pretty, its a film, concentrating on the more aesthetically pleasing fighters is obviously going to happen. Thats kind of the whole premise between kung fu films... fighting that looks really neat.
You can have aesthetically pleasing fighting without him surfing down an elephant's trunk.

Quote:
lol i like films to be fun lol
'Lol I think films that are internally consistent aren't fun lol'?

What?

How does not having silly errors make the film less fun?
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 00:21   #75
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
You can have aesthetically pleasing fighting without him surfing down an elephant's trunk.
but why would you do that when you could on the other hand... have someone surfing down an elephants trunk

Quote:
'Lol I think films that are internally consistent aren't fun lol'?

What?

How does not having silly errors make the film less fun?
thing is... i dont let things like that spoil my enjoyment of the film... you obviously do...

also, i would put say... 95% of the moviegoing public in my category, people have other things to worry about in life without being anal about films. Its escapism.
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 00:40   #76
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhall
what love story!!! it was built up so much for him to turn around and just say 'i cannot give you what you want'
That was Eowyn, not Arwen. It is a love story of sorts, it's just that a lot of it (Eowyn and Faramir) was left out, all we got was Eowyn lusting after Aragorn and him doing his best to ignore her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_Jakiri
So was the random orc captain; all he ever seemed to do was 'Something else... flash to the orc. Orc shouts KILL! or somesuch, flash back.' Is he just a gratuitous deformed orc?
That was Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul. Well, there's enough evidence to suggest it was.
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 01:19   #77
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Forgot to mention:

Orlando Bloom as Legolas == shit.
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 01:35   #78
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
but why would you do that when you could on the other hand... have someone surfing down an elephants trunk
But why do that when you could get cinema staff to stab you through the foot?

Quote:
thing is... i dont let things like that spoil my enjoyment of the film... you obviously do...

also, i would put say... 95% of the moviegoing public in my category, people have other things to worry about in life without being anal about films. Its escapism.
Correct continuity is something that takes very little effort, and not doing it, to use your figures, is like saying 'Hey, I can't be bothered with this! Lets piss off the 5 most lucrative percent of our audience!'
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 01:44   #79
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
But why do that when you could get cinema staff to stab you through the foot?
how exactly do you propse to get them to do that? but i take your point, you are unable to suspend belief and enjoy yourself... fair enough... poor thing

Quote:
Correct continuity is something that takes very little effort, and not doing it, to use your figures, is like saying 'Hey, I can't be bothered with this! Lets piss off the 5 most lucrative percent of our audience!'
id imagine they spent hundreds of thousands on continuity in making the trilogy anyway. One oversight (if it actually is an oversight... i havent seen it) is not particularly important when you consider all the things they must have done. + maybe they decided that the dramatic and aesthetic device of having them all the same height (equal etc, so they looked more uniform and "pretty" was worth more than continuity and just decided to forgo the height issue for that scene. You couldnt really have the hero of the film looking short in his major recognition scene... would seem silly somehow.
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 12:02   #80
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
id imagine they spent hundreds of thousands on continuity in making the trilogy anyway. One oversight (if it actually is an oversight... i havent seen it) is not particularly important when you consider all the things they must have done. + maybe they decided that the dramatic and aesthetic device of having them all the same height (equal etc, so they looked more uniform and "pretty" was worth more than continuity and just decided to forgo the height issue for that scene. You couldnt really have the hero of the film looking short in his major recognition scene... would seem silly somehow.
He's MEANT to be shorter; carrying the ring was a thankless task. In the book, even when they got back to hobitton, all the attention was on Merry and Pippin, and not on Frodo's ordeal.
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 12:08   #81
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

other than the height thing id say yes, mark is being a wee bit overcritical. But the height thing really WAS very annoying.
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 12:11   #82
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
other than the height thing id say yes, mark is being a wee bit overcritical. But the height thing really WAS very annoying.
Why can't people just make a serious film nowadays?
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 12:18   #83
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Cynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomers III
i didn't like it at all, and didn't liek the other two. but i went becuase my friends wanted to! i thought it was tedious and boring, with the most irritating ending ever (because i kept thinking "yes it's finished!" only to be dealt a cruel blow). in the majority of the film nothing was happening, and the onyl worthwhile part was the battle and that wasn't amazing.

i don't like it, but i'm sure people will be like omgwtf it's an excellent story you are a twat and have a bad imagination. well i don't care, i don't like it and think the storyline is rubbish and i hope i never have to sit through and watch any of them ever again.
Yepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I wish we could trademark for a less shitty poster
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Cynical Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 12:19   #84
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I watched the film last night (downloaded copy admittedly). It was fairly enjoyable, but a few comments :

1. This is in line with the book I suppose, but I would have liked to see more of the army of the dead in terms of the battle. We had 10 minutes of Gondor getting done, 2 mins of the Riders of Rohan kicking some arse, then 2 mins of them getting done, and then 30 seconds when Aragorn (with his +10 Sword of Justice) and his army obliterate everyone else in 30 seconds. The battle was impressive though.

2. A few things I missed from the book ; Gandalf's face-off with the Nazgul Chief, the men being inspired by Aragorns sword, the Orcs being frightened by the 'Elf Warrior' Sam, people making more of 'the White Rider' (they have the 9, we have the 1, etc).

3. The Eowyn bit with the Nazgul was pretty cool, although the "I'm no man" line was a little bit too Hollywood version of Macbeth for my tastes.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 17:48   #85
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
He's MEANT to be shorter; carrying the ring was a thankless task. In the book, even when they got back to hobitton, all the attention was on Merry and Pippin, and not on Frodo's ordeal.
thats the book for people who can read though... not the film for dullard joe public.
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 21:01   #86
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I watched it again last night with the family, and I noticed a couple more things...

The "orc chief" bloke has a Jeremy Beadle hand. Teehee.
Plus I suppose he was there to show the orcs did have SOME order, rather than just being a rabble of green skinned people that all look the same.

And at the end - can anyone verify this for me. The guy who is fawning over his pumpkin, in the pub. Is that the same actor who played Smeagol?

And why doesn't Gollum scream in agony when he falls in the molten lava? It's more of a kind of "oh, look, i'm in lava" than "ow this is hideously painful".

And how do Frodo and Sam survive on top of Mount Doom, with all the toxic gases ;o
Unread 22 Dec 2003, 22:55   #87
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
thats the book for people who can read though... not the film for dullard joe public.
The point would remain in the film version, you know.
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 10:04   #88
SomeOneYouKnow
Treepex

SomeOneYouKnow is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And how do Frodo and Sam survive on top of Mount Doom, with all the toxic gases ;o
or wear nothing and walk in there ?
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 11:20   #89
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOneYouKnow
or wear nothing and walk in there ?
Hero characters are invincible
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 11:31   #90
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
The point would remain in the film version, you know.
yes... but the counter points remain. Also the point about the people who view the film being less likely to pick up on this type of thing and less receptive to subtle plot devices still stands. And Peter Jackson obviously decided that it was worth it.

good for him
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 11:49   #91
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
yes... but the counter points remain. Also the point about the people who view the film being less likely to pick up on this type of thing and less receptive to subtle plot devices still stands. And Peter Jackson obviously decided that it was worth it.

good for him
OK, so you've decided to get rid of Spaced, Black Books, Family Guy, Simpsons, South Park, Futurama, Monty Python, the works of David Lynch, American Beauty, The Godfather Trilogy, the works of the Coen Brothers, American Psycho, Fight Club, Se7en, LA Confidential, The Usual Suspects, the works of Quentin Tarantino, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Citizen Kane, The Truman Show, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Leon, Schindler's List and many more.

This whole 'Don't include things because some people may not understand them!' isn't really working is it?
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 13:07   #92
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

the films you mentioned didnt get nearly as many people coming to see them as lotr... probably

so... yes it is!

P.S Listing irrelevancies doesnt normally win arguments.

*hugz*

Last edited by Deepflow; 23 Dec 2003 at 13:52.
Deepflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 13:20   #93
Not_Work_Child

I read the thread. Thanks 4 spoiling it guyz.
THANKS A BUNCH!
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 16:58   #94
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
the films you mentioned didnt get nearly as many people coming to see them as lotr... probably

so... yes it is!

P.S Listing irrelevancies doesnt normally win arguments.

*hugz*
No, however I think a list of examples of how things that aren't lowest common denominator can be very good (compare that to, say, Under Seige and the like. Hell, even Terminator 2 has elements that could not be understood by your 'I don't understand what's going on, help I can't remember what happened before' crew) is quite relevent.

Oh, and as for money... Se7en, American Beauty and many more films with 'Obscure' elements are in the top 100 grossing films of all time. Hell, in America, Finding Nemo sold similar amounts to the two towers.

Of course, that's film, on TV we have the examples of The Simpsons and Family Guy, the former being legend, the latter being made again due to it's immense success on DVD.
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 19:11   #95
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
Many people have raised the same issues, but I'll list them anyway;
Sam leaving was out of character. I was like "ok, Frodo told him to go home, wonder if he'll stick with them anyway, or hang back a while and follow unseen" and he starts going home?!? And once he left, why go back after he discovers the lembas, didn't he already know they'd be there?
The multiple endings was utterly gay, it could have ended after the crowning of Aragon. I was absolutely convinced (I blame the internet) that Sam and Frodo would start kissing. I didn't like his (the guy who plays Frodo) acting elsewhere, but you just gotta respect being able to do such a scene and not breaking out in laughter.
The ghost army was cheesy, woulda made a bit more sense if they were corporeal and there was some actual fighting, not just "oh we're invincible, our side wins gg thx4playin".
Eowyn was kinda left dangling after Aragon left, but her fighting was cool, and I didn't think the "I'm not a man" line was cheesy at all.
The mad guy burning his own son was kinda out of nowhere, they should either have developed them more (as others have hinted they are in the book) or cut that part of the story out entirely.
And what happened to Gandalf's dragon-repellant light after he used it once? Why not again as the Nazgül attack the city?

In the books, does Sting (Frodos "sword") have any other magic abilities than warning of orcs?

[...]

The fight scenes all rocked.
^^
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 19:18   #96
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
[...]
Oh so hard you are
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 19:20   #97
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
Oh so hard you are
Well, why write a whole post when everything I wanted to say was already said?
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 19:43   #98
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Let's all not lose sight of "willing suspension of disbelief".
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 19:53   #99
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
Let's all not lose sight of "willing suspension of disbelief".
Willing suspension of disbelief is irrelevent in matters of internal continuity.

And things like the Elven Spiderman Incident are breaking the spell in a horrible, horrible way.
Unread 23 Dec 2003, 20:33   #100
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Willing suspension of disbelief is irrelevent in matters of internal continuity.

And things like the Elven Spiderman Incident are breaking the spell in a horrible, horrible way.
Oh shut the **** up, you're entirely alone in your opinion of movies, and noone here wants a piece of it.