User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Oct 2003, 15:29   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
iTunes for Windows

Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 19:08   #2
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: iTunes for Windows

it's a shame that it's performance on a windows machine isn't comparable to that on a mac.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2003, 21:51   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Do I smell a troll attempt?

:tongue:
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 01:15   #4
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

performance is adequate for moi.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2003, 12:19   #5
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

inf is right, the PC version doesnt work half as well as the Mac one. Although guess thats understandable, a Mac has so fewer configurations than a PC that its just significantly eaiser to get a peice of software to run on the mac than a pc.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2003, 18:51   #6
Technar

Technar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
[A] Mac has so fewer configurations than a PC that its just significantly eaiser to get a peice of software to run on the mac than a pc.
*Ahem!* May I ask what information you are basing your statement on?

-GreenAlge
Technar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2003, 19:15   #7
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technar

-GreenAlge
oh, a mac zealot who doesn't know his stuff!
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2003, 19:21   #8
Technar

Technar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf
oh, a mac zealot who doesn't know his stuff!
Test me
Technar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2003, 23:04   #9
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Not being able to do ogg sucks*. The first version crashed if I tried to add large amounts of files off a smb share. The new version solved this problem, so it rarely crashes now. But other than, it seems quite the ace.

* Yes, I've tried out that plugin. It sucked.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2003, 00:20   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technar

-GreenAlge
Let's start with the fact that there are at LEAST 100 models of motherboard to base your PC system on, all using different combinations of components, available at any point in time to a prospective PC builder.
Now, lets estimate that there may be another 100 or so different models of graphics card available (this is an underestimate IMO). So we now have 100 * 100 = 10,000 combinations of equipment.
Let's look at memory. Most motherboards now support at least 3 different types (PC2100, PC2700, PC3300) and many support a fourth now (PC4000). But I'll be fair and call it 3. Memory these days tends to come in 128, 256, 512 or 1Gb modules - so 4 * 3 = 12 types. Lets pick a number out of the air and say there are 3 memory manufacturers (again, underestimate imo). So that's 3 different companies using different equipment producing modules with different reliability etc. So 3 * 12 types = 36. Note that I've not even taken account of the fact most users install more than one memory module.
So now we have 100 * 100 * 36 = 360,000 combinations of equipment.

Now add in things such as:
Disk drives (speeds, types (UATA,SATA,SCSI), numbers of)
Sound cards
Optical drives (speeds, types (CDROM,DVDROM,CDR,CDRW etc), numbers of)
Expansion cards (hardware RAID, SCSI, even more UATA or SATA ports)
Connectivity cards (Network, USB, Firewire...)
Multimedia cards (TV, radio, video capture, hardware DVD decoders...)
The combinations run to 10s, if not 100s of millions.

Yes, you can probably get all of these things in a Mac.
However, in most cases it's made by one company only, there's one model of it, and you take it or leave it. For everything I've mentioned up there I can find you multiple models made by multiple manufacturers.

Still think Macs have just as many configurations as a PC?

Incidentally (before I get jumped on), this is not necessarily a good thing. The PC architechture is a bloody mess, unsurprisingly since the core hasn't been changed since 1983 or so when it was designed to run with a fixed 640k of ram and no permanent storage, and every advance since then has been bodged on with the micro-engineering equivilant of 3 rolls of gaffer tape and some superglue. This is a large part of the reason PCs are so prone to crashing.
Just because someone makes a statement about a Mac, it doesn't mean they're automatically knocking it.

Unread 29 Oct 2003, 14:51   #11
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Incidentally (before I get jumped on), this is not necessarily a good thing. The PC architechture is a bloody mess, unsurprisingly since the core hasn't been changed since 1983 or so when it was designed to run with a fixed 640k of ram and no permanent storage, and every advance since then has been bodged on with the micro-engineering equivilant of 3 rolls of gaffer tape and some superglue. This is a large part of the reason PCs are so prone to crashing.
Just because someone makes a statement about a Mac, it doesn't mean they're automatically knocking it.

I quite disagree, I think the PC architechture is a work of art. The fact that it has maintained trace amounts (and I do mean trace, you can hardly say jumping for example from 16 to 32 bit architecture required no massive redesign of the processing core) of its legacy begginings is a godsend to those of us who do not believe in re-inventing the wheel. The reason my dear fellow they are so prone to crashing is poorly written or buggy software (though I will make exception for AMD's architecture for this is 99% of the reason I wont buy one).

=[DJ Bass]=

Last edited by djbass; 29 Oct 2003 at 14:58.
djbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2003, 16:32   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Trace ammounts?
16bit legacy compatibility is pretty much an emulator on the chip. Upcomming 64bit x86 processors will run 32bit legacy compatibility in much the same way, leaving us with an emulator on an emulator for 16bit. That's obviously not viable in the long term.
Memory over 640k up to 1Mbyte is a hack. Memory above 1Mbyte is another hack. Most of PCI is a hack, and AGP is a hack on a hack.
The PC architechture seems to pretty much work by inserting gates and switches in key points to "fool" the legacy kit into doing things it was never designed to do (hello the A20 gate etc).

I'm not saying it isn't impressive it's kept going this long, but it's about time there was a "PC mark 2" imo. There's only so long you can keep gluing things on to such an old core before things start to peel away at the edges.
Buggy software does indeed play a substantial part in crashing PCs, but at an operating system level I'd imagine writing something that's going to work flawlessly with all the millions of combinations of equipment is a hopeless prospect.

But it could just be me that thinks that.
Unread 29 Oct 2003, 17:26   #13
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

You're saying AMD is causing your system to crash and the like?

The CPU is fine, most of the time it is the mobo's fault, and most of the time it is VIA's fault.

And Megla, I do agree with you on the PC architecture, it needs an overhaul, but nobody is gonna do it, since they lose customers etc... if it isn't acceptably backwards compatible.

BTW, i'm not too sure on your example of the A64, from what I understand, they can run 32Bit apps natively without needing to run emulation/compatbility mode.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote