User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Oct 2006, 17:56   #1
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
[Phones] It's time for a new contract..

I've currently got a Nokia 6610i, and am on an O2 online contract (£25/month, 500 off peak minutes, 500 texts/month, 0.5MB GPRS).

It was a 12 month contract, this is like my 18th month or so. I know I'm lazy, I should have got a new phone then.

I use my phone for texting [obviously]. This is pretty intermittant - sometimes I can burn up 30-40 texts in a day, sometimes it's 1 a week.

I phone family and friends, and again can justify the 500 per month.

I want a new phone - I've generally stuck with nokias as they're sort of rectangular and not too flimsy for me to break them.

WAP would be cool, I occasionally use my camera thingy (though not much as my current one is shit), but again, a nice one would be cool.
Java and decent browsing-internet-ability would be nice - mine's a bit shitty.

I'd prefer to stay with O2 for the contract.

I really just have no idea about phones

Suggestions? please? :s
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 18:01   #2
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: [Phones] It's time for a new contract..

Sony Ericsson K800i.

Its got a very good camera on it. Sonys are very easy to use and it comes with a data cable so you can connect it to your PC and transfer images/videos/mp3s etc.

Its also free on O2 Online.

If you want a more detailed reason why to get it please ask
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 18:37   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Noka 6280 if you really want to stick with Nokias (I have one, it serves me well). 2 megapixel camera, good software, robust (I've dropped it a lot), big screen, easy to use. Data cable and a 64mb card come with it as standard.

It's also a 3G phone, so fairly futureproof on that front.

Likewise it's free on a pay monthly contract with O2 Online.
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 18:47   #4
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Nokia sliders are a big imo. They all start to feel quite flimsy (sp?) after a while. Also I find the Nokia UI really slow to use.
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 18:49   #5
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Madina / furball, what £/month? I'm currently on £25/month, I assume they're £35/month>?
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 18:55   #6
Madina
TashTastic

Well you can just upgrade your phone. Either through an O2 shop (better idea) or over the phone with the online CS (0870 600 3009).

With upgrading your tariff, bill date and money coming out of your account all stay the same. Along with your phone number. You just get a new phone number.

O2 offer the same deals for new and existing customers. So you can remain on the same tariff of £25 per month.
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 18:58   #7
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i'm looking at the sony ericsson W810

I like sony ericssons but not that keen on the k800 for some reason (i can't remember why)

i've had my contract for over 2 years and not upgraded - i liked my k700 and didn't see the point.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 19:02   #8
Madina
TashTastic

W810 is a really nice phone. Great features on it aswell.

I assume you are going to use it as an MP3 player. The SE software that comes with it is a bit shit so use MyPhoneExplorer. Its much better and quicker to use.
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 19:02   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
Nokia sliders are a big imo. They all start to feel quite flimsy (sp?) after a while. Also I find the Nokia UI really slow to use.
I disagree, I think the slider's pretty comfy. The only way to resolve this though is to go into a shop and ask to have a play with a real one - everyone has their own tastes.

As for the UI, which series are you talking about? The 6280 is a Series 40 device.
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 19:16   #10
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
W810 is a really nice phone. Great features on it aswell.

I assume you are going to use it as an MP3 player. The SE software that comes with it is a bit shit so use MyPhoneExplorer. Its much better and quicker to use.
I haven't decided how much I am or not yet actually...

I like having a seperate mp3 player...

How much memory has it got?

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 19:56   #11
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Phone your contract people and say you want to cancel and they'll give you a great deal.

O2 cut the cost of my contract in half and gave me £100 credit, so i don't have to pay for a few months.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 20:48   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In my experience if youre used to a nokia you might find the interface of most other phones extremely fiddly and irritating to use, so you should make sure you try it out in the shop first. Nokia GUIs have been far ahead of pretty much every other phone I've used (although admittedly that isnt very many).

Quote:
Also I find the Nokia UI really slow to use.
S60 is slow as shit, but I'd still take it over most other things.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2006, 01:00   #13
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

money no object ? nokia 8800 .. not that many features ( well apart from ring tones by brian eno on the sirrocc version), but yeah gods its sexy !
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL

Last edited by Mistwraith; 25 Oct 2006 at 02:08.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2006, 15:54   #14
Ste
Bored

I went out and got the W810i.

It looks ace but will wait til I get home to play with it properly.

Apparently I had a "grade F" upgrade which means I'm meant to be spending £45 a month.
I pay £25 a month...

Unread 25 Oct 2006, 16:59   #15
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
In my experience if youre used to a nokia you might find the interface of most other phones extremely fiddly and irritating to use
True until the newer generations of phones, after they got rid of the 3310-derieved style I think.
Unread 25 Oct 2006, 17:29   #16
Madina
TashTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
I went out and got the W810i.

It looks ace but will wait til I get home to play with it properly.

Apparently I had a "grade F" upgrade which means I'm meant to be spending £45 a month.
I pay £25 a month...
Band F is £30 and above. All the bandings have just changed for the better. It means you can get alot more if you spend £25 and above.
Unread 25 Oct 2006, 17:30   #17
Madina
TashTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I disagree, I think the slider's pretty comfy. The only way to resolve this though is to go into a shop and ask to have a play with a real one - everyone has their own tastes.

As for the UI, which series are you talking about? The 6280 is a Series 40 device.
All Nokia 'smartphones' really. I just find it slow to use.

Not as bad as an LG but still slow imo.
Unread 25 Oct 2006, 17:30   #18
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Band F is £30 and above. All the bandings have just changed for the better. It means you can get alot more if you spend £25 and above.
How do these bands work?
Unread 25 Oct 2006, 17:42   #19
Madina
TashTastic

Its done on your average spend over the year.

Band A and B is upto £20
Band C and D is upto £25
Band E and F is upto £30
Band G and H is upto £40
Band I and J is upto £70

Its basically a code for staff to see how much a phone is on a particular tariff.

Last edited by Madina; 25 Oct 2006 at 18:11.
Madina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2006, 17:44   #20
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'm getting the SE W950i next week. 4GB of memory and a lot lighter than the Nokia N91.

Two weeks ago, I got the SE P990i. Very good smart-phone but ****ing slow.

Back in May, I got the Nokia 8800.

Then a year before that, I got the SE W800i. There isn't much difference with the W800i and the W810i. Just a couple or so minor adjustments such as improved loudspeaker and crisp screen display.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote