User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 26 Jan 2011, 14:33   #1
Will
Planetarion Support Team Member

Will is an unknown quantity at this point
inform alliance tech of changes

Since it's a somewhat recurring theme, I'll give this it's own thread...

Please can there be a flow of information somewhere regarding what PA Team might consider to be "minor" changes to the game. The following are merely examples of situations that would have benefited from the aforementioned flow of information, had there been any.

Today the official #Scans bot had its IP address blocked due to an unknown requirement to use so-called "lightweight" URLs when parsing scans. If this restriction had been publicised to alliance techs, there would have been no problem. [edit: Thank you Fiery for clarifying the situation, it was not my intention to specifically blame PA Team for this as I hope can be seen from my careful wording.]

It also turns out that many alliance techs are even unaware of these lightweight scan URLs that could save them all plenty of bandwidth. I have been using these since November 2009, not because of any bandwidth concerns or any announcement from PA Team but because I happened to notice them being used while I was scanning. To those that want to know, you just add "&inc=1" to the end of scan and group URLs and all the HTML surrounding the scans will be omitted.

As I suggested in another post, an RSS/ATOM feed would be nice so people can subscribe to it if they're interested (I believe this would be easy to achieve by creating a new section in this forum for tech announcements) although actual commit logs from version control might be less prone to missing anything. Alternatively, a mailing list, moderated IRC channel or even just more detail on the "Changes since last round" page of the manual. [edit: maybe not mailing list or IRC, archived they are not.]

Last edited by Will; 27 Jan 2011 at 02:36.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2011, 14:41   #2
sk8_bordin
is behind you! o.O

sk8_bordin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: inform alliance tech of changes

+ 1,000,000
Unread 26 Jan 2011, 14:48   #3
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

I have been using the lightweight for many rounds already (since august 2009 i think), i thought it was common knowledge.

Tbh, while this is nice, i dont think it should result in a ban though. With bandwidth currently being no problem, it shouldnt be any issue....
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2011, 15:23   #4
mPulse
p3nguins Master Chief

mPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of light

When #Scans stopped having access to pa I had just done a 1000 link paste, or was in the process of doing so. Immediately following that I mentioned in a channel that I had been doing it and perhaps that was what had caused the issue (although previously doing it had no effect I would like to point out) and there was speculation that the IP had been banned. I later found out that there is a "lightened" version of the scans page (put &inc=1 at the end of scan links).

The page that displayed the last 1000 scans on the Alliances page (previously on http://game.planetarion.com/alliance...action=scanids ) has been removed/disabled it would appear, so that wont be a problem in the future!

I supply #Scans as a community resource. There has been alot of hard work put into it (thanks ellonweb and Will and all the scanners that help out ever round). I'm not tryin to stir shit with this post, and comments or conversations had in various channels....i'm just trying to help out the community.

http://www.netgamers.org
irc.netgamers.org

Feel free to drop into #netgamers for a chat!
If you have any P related questions just join #cservice

For Planetarion related questions and general game help, please join #Support

NetGamers - Our support staff are fkn awesome.
mPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2011, 17:50   #5
sk8_bordin
is behind you! o.O

sk8_bordin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPulse View Post
The page that displayed the last 1000 scans on the Alliances page (previously on <forum wont let me post the link> ) has been removed/disabled it would appear, so that wont be a problem in the future!
[14:15:02] <sk8> Why/when was the 1000 scan id thing removed?
[14:15:47] <sk8> <forum wont let me post the link>
[14:15:55] <sk8> The link doesnt work anymore either
[14:18:13] <+Cin[Away2]> had to be temp disabled due to some totally unexpected issues, will be back up once those issues has been looked at and addressed
Unread 26 Jan 2011, 21:21   #6
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

No IP addresses were banned by PA Team.
We have disabled the alliance scan dump while we check with Jagex to see if they have something in place that blocks ips from putting a large strain on the servers. Once we have determined what the issue was, in regards to this situation, the scan dumps will be put back in service.
I apologize for the slow communication on PA Team's part and any inconvenience this has caused.
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2011, 21:30   #7
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Thanks for clearing the situation up Fiery.

For the future, we need both more active communication between alliance techs and PATeam (not via #alliances) and more disclosure of changes made (not discussion, a publically accessible, archived system).

A great idea would be to publish a "best practices" guide.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote