User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 17 Jun 2009, 19:56   #51
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Planetarion Banner

Lobsters format with a better font (and faster text display, it was slow on my comp) and better content would be a good option.
Unread 17 Jun 2009, 22:23   #52
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

My version was large due to the glow effect around the text (flash doesnt support glows), so the way it encoded it was by actually rendering each frame as a single image. The end result is a big file, which looks good, but hurts on slower connections.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2009, 00:29   #53
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Just posting in agreement with the last few posts that some form of merge between the two (Lobster's design, Pete's wording) is a good way to go.

Alternating between a simple design (like Lobster's) and a good flashy/complex one (similar to Pete's current design but less cartoony and generally better looking), that share the same or similar text would be interesting.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2009, 09:41   #54
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

I think the "No breaks" wording should be removed until you can prove that we can play a round with no breaks. Otherwise it's false advertising.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2009, 15:37   #55
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

when will we see any of those Banners anywhere floating around ?
before ticks start or not ?

and where ?

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2009, 01:55   #56
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I've designed hundreds of banners for eBay. What I've learned with them is how to improve the CTR.
ATM both banners (official + MrLobster) look like movies... there is no call to action and no hint on the game being free to play (in other words they don't fly).
From experience:
- animation doesn't improve the click rate, it only allows you to put more information and look cool.

you NEED TO:
- add a "sign up" or "Play now" or " Join the fight" or "Click here" button
- mention somewhere that the game is free
- have as in MrLobster banner the www.planetarion.com link

Now for the transformation rate: where do people go when they click ? the homepage or the sign up page ?
From experience:
- don't promise something you don't deliver, Mr Lobster banner looks much closer to the reality of the game than the official banner and its flying ships. If people feel they've been tricked into clicking, it will be worse than them not clicking the banner at all.

I'm basing my comments on weeks if not months passed analyzing all kind of banners click rates. The difference is huge if you have a click here button (not a link). You'd be surprised if I showed you the most effective eBay banner ever...

Last edited by Makhil; 23 Jun 2009 at 02:07.
Makhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2009, 02:32   #57
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Regarding the design itself:
The logo is ridiculously big, you should keep it static and small (personnal taste: the font of the logo itself is good enough, all the design around it is a loss of space and weakens the logo... it's a logo on crutches).

Regarding the message:
I'm not convinced that saying "hey look this is planetarion you play 7 weeks but you will lose anyway" is the right way to catch people interest.
You should play on PAs strength, it's community:

"f*ck, f*ck, f*ck I have 100,000 ships attacking me"
"Cool down mate, I'm sending you some help"
"Hey guys, I can organize a counter attack on this bugger ?"
"Go for it !"

Want to join the fight ? Click here, it's free

For each sentence you would use a portrait of a real player (displayed on some cool com device screen), and you could even use their existing nicks.

Last edited by Makhil; 23 Jun 2009 at 02:37.
Makhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2009, 09:49   #58
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
You'd be surprised if I showed you the most effective eBay banner ever...
now you have my attention..and interest..so do share.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote