User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 16 Nov 2008, 13:38   #51
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about
Re: Scannerschan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellonweb View Post
Tons of programmers put time and effort into many other projects that they are happy to release into the open. Looking at PA, Munin is a good example of this.

How can we, or for that matter the multihunters, take your word on this, when clearly they were not willing to take Achi's word?

Furthermore, the argument that the person worked on this would lose out by releasing their code is silly. The code to do this kind of job is nothing particularly complicated, in fact it is rather rudimentary and common.

If you want #scans to become a community service, it is important that it's services are entirely out in the open for the community to inspect and approve, and maybe also help improve.

this is just ridiculous. Do you read what ur writing? you are actually saying that #scans is exactly the same as #trans.... We have a bot, that hides the nicks in requests. Just ask any scanner we have. There are scanners from many different alliances.

All scans that are done is going to be made public as soon as the Arbiter is done.

[01:14] <@Scans> [2861] Jumpgate Scan on 3:5:10 [u] => http://game.planetarion.com/waves.pl?id=7&x=3&y=5&z=10

No nicks. Read the entire thread and save yourself from commenting. Ive made it perfectly clear that if anyone comes around and says we are somehow cheating or benefiting from this channel i can easily prove them wrong. There is no reason to release UNFINISHED code. Let the man finish his job first, and then it can be released for tweaking.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2008, 13:48   #52
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

I didn't compare #transcendancy to #scans, I compared Achilles trying to provide an fair and equal system to what you are trying to do. Achilles and the other scanners set out to provide a fair and equal system, and they gave their word on this. Ditto yourself and #scans.

But we digress: if you're saying that the code will definitely be released - while contrary to your previous post - then waiting until it is finished is fair enough. You could have saved us both some time and effort by saying this in your first reply.

Last edited by ellonweb; 16 Nov 2008 at 14:01.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2008, 12:11   #53
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

What's the use of releasing the code? It's not like the users can compile and run it... how could you ever be sure the code you read is the one that is running on the bot??

And way OT: nice to see my forum account still works after like what? 3 years of complete absence from PA?
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2008, 14:06   #54
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious View Post
It's not like the users can compile and run it...
Why not?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2008, 14:19   #55
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Why not?
Ok, i guess they can, but thats not the point.If they want scans from #scans, they need to use the bot that is in the channel, not just anyone they built at home?
Unread 20 Nov 2008, 15:09   #56
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious View Post
Ok, i guess they can, but thats not the point.If they want scans from #scans, they need to use the bot that is in the channel, not just anyone they built at home?
That also isn't the point.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 20 Nov 2008, 16:16   #57
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

Why do you have to be in #scans to request a scan?
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2008, 17:02   #58
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
That also isn't the point.
Ok maybe i misunderstood. I thought the point of releasing the code was to make sure it doesn't do anything considered "dangerous" or "cheating". This in turn would mean you have to ensure the program that is running is created from the actual code that is presented, which you cannot reasonably do unless you compile and run it yourself. I'm sorry if i misinterpreted the intention.

If i may ask so frankly, what IS the point?
Unread 20 Nov 2008, 22:11   #59
mPulse
p3nguins Master Chief

mPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of light

If someone fails to get a scan off the bot while others around them are gettin scans, then just request for it in the channel ffs. If they still fail to get the scan, perhaps ask why in #Scans! If it's proven that they are being ignored, then thats against the rules, right? If its because there's no scanners on with enough amps, then the same thing would have happened in #trans. The facts are, the bot makes scanning so much simpler for the scanners, and keeps track of the requests so none are forgotten about. You need to be in the channel so that #scans isnt abused by a bot just relaying requests for example (we can't really actively police a bot being inserted into the channel though, unfortunately).

http://www.netgamers.org
irc.netgamers.org

Feel free to drop into #netgamers for a chat!
If you have any P related questions just join #cservice

For Planetarion related questions and general game help, please join #Support

NetGamers - Our support staff are fkn awesome.
mPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2008, 23:34   #60
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPulse View Post
You need to be in the channel so that #scans isnt abused by a bot just relaying requests for example (we can't really actively police a bot being inserted into the channel though, unfortunately).
So then why do you have to be in the channel to request a scan?
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 07:08   #61
mPulse
p3nguins Master Chief

mPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of lightmPulse is a glorious beacon of light

So that it's not quite so easy to abuse. I'd have thought that would have been kinda self explanatory from my post.

irc.netgamers.org

Unread 21 Nov 2008, 07:28   #62
Villeh
Ubi concordia, ibi victor

Villeh is on a distinguished road

I for one was kind of skeptical at first and figured #scans was some Denial plot of some sorts

At this stage I think it is a excellent 'independent service' in PA, #scans have the best 24/7 coverage (as in more often than not you get the scans requested within acceptable time), and you get it for free!!!
I think the bot is great, makes things easier for the scanner, makes it easy to keep up the backlog, and supplies some confidentiality.

It does need a '!cancel' function tho, to save the scanners resources mainly.

Good Job #scans, and thank you!

* We do not exist *
Villeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2008, 07:32   #63
mPulse
p3nguins Master Chief

!cancel is now done

irc.netgamers.org

Unread 24 Nov 2008, 20:19   #64
Hiall

Hiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to behold

no more coding for a while thow I'm too lazy too add anymore functions :P
Hiall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2008, 19:30   #65
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

A couple of improvements I'd like to see: the bot is too strict on typing colon separated coordinates, should be easy enough to accept other formats; after a scan request return an ID, to use with the cancel command, it's far too much effort to type out the whole thing again, especially with the colon enforcement.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2008, 01:28   #66
Villeh
Ubi concordia, ibi victor

Villeh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellonweb View Post
after a scan request return an ID, to use with the cancel command, it's far too much effort to type out the whole thing again, especially with the colon enforcement.
use the 'up arrow' key and edit 'request' to 'cancel' on the scan in question...

* We do not exist *
Villeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2008, 14:39   #67
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villeh View Post
use the 'up arrow' key and edit 'request' to 'cancel' on the scan in question...
DOH
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Nov 2008, 19:15   #68
Hiall

Hiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to beholdHiall is a splendid one to behold

/me fluffles villeh
Hiall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2008, 15:08   #69
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Envy long time no see dude

Also hiall you've always been a lazy bitch
Unread 6 Dec 2008, 22:08   #70
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

Alright people. a little update here

Round 29 has so far been a success. We have a scannerteam that can handle far more requests then we had so far.
We realise that in certain peak times like in the middle of the night you dont always get 100% cover but most nights work pretty smoothly. So more scanners are welcome, whether you do 2000 scans for us or 100 through the round is irrelevant.
we work more like a nice little growing community of scanners that helps as much as we have time to help

We have not reached the goal about a fully functional arbiter but we installed a command to search our database for scans. just PM the Scans bot with this command: !search x:x:x p,d,u,n,j,a and it will give you a previous scan. This should be helpful to those who doesnt get the requested scan.
Thanks Hiall ur the best!

If you get blocked when scanning someone you can enter #scans and use this command: !dists x:x:x and it will tell you how many disorters the target have approxomately. People with disorters attend to build more and more so its never accurate

I hope to see more people coming to #scans and ask for scans, aswell as scanners volunteering to scan! Americans and Aussies in particular due to timezones. We hope to see more of those

Also if anyone just wants to relax next round, then scanning in #scans is a nice way of doing something while you keep in touch with the game. I dont think this should cost you anything so im paying your credit if you choose to do so.

Good luck with the final 2 weeks then people, and see you around!

- Love from myself and my 2 supporters/helpers Ali and Mpulse, Hiall the botmaster,the scanners! some helped out last round, some this round, some both rounds but here they are:

HaNzI
Ali
mPulse
Hiall
|2on
jekyll
cervantes
AkMaster
SpacedMonkey
MortalP
Aries
Darothane
Xion
IntoTheCloudS
Exode
d3funct
biodragon
Anne
Kael
Recluse
Aihal
Joppa
greendog
Xyphistor
Tomax
Vistion
Jinstarro

Colours illustrates how sexy they really are.

Last edited by HaNzI; 6 Dec 2008 at 22:14.
Unread 6 Dec 2008, 23:52   #71
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Dev-scanned the universe again and updated the bot on disorters.

Scans were done tick 842/843 and show how many disorters every planet in the universe have

Join #scans and type !dists x:x:x

Top 30 Disorters:

<co-ords removed>125
<co-ords removed> 121
<co-ords removed> 108
<co-ords removed> 107
<co-ords removed> 104
<co-ords removed> 103
<co-ords removed> 94
<co-ords removed> 88
<co-ords removed> 86
<co-ords removed> 85
<co-ords removed> 81
<co-ords removed> 70
<co-ords removed> 68
<co-ords removed> 61
<co-ords removed> 57
<co-ords removed> 55
<co-ords removed> 55
<co-ords removed> 53
<co-ords removed> 50
<co-ords removed> 48
<co-ords removed> 45
<co-ords removed> 44
<co-ords removed> 43
<co-ords removed> 43
<co-ords removed> 41
<co-ords removed> 41
<co-ords removed> 40
<co-ords removed> 39
<co-ords removed> 36
<co-ords removed> 35

Last edited by Appocomaster; 7 Dec 2008 at 10:47. Reason: Removing co-ords due to breach of forum rules
Unread 7 Dec 2008, 08:18   #72
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

#scans is cheating ban hanzi from planetarion please

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2008, 12:07   #73
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

no coords then. well come to #scans to see the list then
Unread 7 Dec 2008, 12:53   #74
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Stick with #transcendancy then. Least we just scan for the sake off it

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2008, 13:29   #75
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Stick with #transcendancy then. Least we just scan for the sake off it
We in #scans also scan just for the sake of scanning, because we see how valueable this has become for the community. We also like to provide the community with other things like searching our scandatabase, seeing how much disorters someone have, and most important of all, provide safety.

In #scans we provide safety for everyone on many levels:

- You dont need to let everyone see what you requested
- Even the scanners doesnt see who requested the scan, which means they dont have the option to ignore your request just because they either dont like you or you belong to a hostile alliance.
- Your scans doesnt get lost because the bot queues it
- There are no OPs that bans you from the channel, or make fun of you just because you are new to the game
- The chance of getting the scan is a lot higher due to effective use of a scanbot that require minimal effort by the scanners except being online.

When the channel you mentioned can provide the same as #scans, only then you can compare them to eachother as its 2 different channels right now.
Unread 7 Dec 2008, 13:44   #76
Mzyxptlk
mz.

This whole rivalry thing between #scans and #transcendancy is bullshit. This is not a competition, no one is winning any prizes. If you want a scan, go to either channel. If you don't like how either channel operates, go to the other one. If one of the channels is idle, go to the other one.

I refuse to participate in this angst-ridden "we are better than you!" crap. Anyone who derives pride from having set up or from scanning in either channel is seriously misguided. It is my sincere hope that both #scans and #transcendancy will be redundant in the near future.
Unread 7 Dec 2008, 13:57   #77
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Quote:
This whole rivalry thing between #scans and #transcendancy is bullshit. This is not a competition, no one is winning any prizes. If you want a scan, go to either channel. If you don't like how either channel operates, go to the other one. If one of the channels is idle, go to the other one.

I refuse to participate in this angst-ridden "we are better than you!" crap. Anyone who derives pride from having set up or from scanning in either channel is seriously misguided. It is my sincere hope that both #scans and #transcendancy will be redundant in the near future.

Well that is what im hoping aswell. that noone needs either chans.
There is no rivalry, and noone ever said #scans is better. I dont even think about the other chan because i focus my time on the channel i have. I try to give an option that suits the community, and as it is now the 2 channels are very different, so what is bullshit is to come into a thread which is about #scans and say the other chan is better. Only when the other chan can match what we are offering right now they can be compared, and its up to the community to choose channels. i just tell them what we have to offer
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 00:31   #78
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

It seems like scanners are still usefull to planetarion so #scans will still be around to provide their service.
We hope to see new scanners coming, old ones staying and a lot of people to make it worth scanning :P
Unread 31 Jan 2009, 12:36   #79
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

The amount of scans requested in #scans is overwhelming. its nice to see so many people appreciate this service BUT. ye there is a but

We really need more scanners as the amount of scans being requested at ALL times is just not possible to cover. sorry to say this but we have even more workload then last round, and that round was pretty active too.

So if you feel like helping the community out then please contact an op in #scans

If someone doesnt have an account and wish to scan aswell then im paying your credit so you can use the bonus to get scans pretty fast

Hope to see you there!
Unread 31 Jan 2009, 17:48   #80
DeadOps
Forever VisioN

DeadOps is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck with your channel
Unread 1 Feb 2009, 00:06   #81
HyperionHK
Lemming

HyperionHK is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to say thanks to all the scanners helping with this. It's a great thing.

Once I get some more useful scans I'll probably come help out a little
HyperionHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2009, 00:18   #82
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
- There are no OPs that bans you from the channel, or make fun of you just because you are new to the game
Only person banned from #transcendancy is SunTzu, and I assume that's some sort of joke as he was Ascendancy last time I checked and most of the people with high access are Asc.
The only other person that I've seen banned was CBA and that's just to protect everyone else in the channel.

Edit: there are 2 bans in #transcendancy and 10 in #scans...
(agreeing with mz about the rivalry being silly. I use both/whichever I can get a scan from!)
Unread 1 Feb 2009, 00:20   #83
Mzyxptlk
mz.

SunTzu is banned because he confuses me. He's not Sun_Tzu, who is still/again Ascendancy. I only banned his nick anyway, not his mask: SunTzu!*@*

I'll readily admit I'm a petty **** in #transcendancy though. That said, I haven't banned anyone in ages.
Unread 1 Feb 2009, 08:21   #84
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

its not an arguement at all kila. i appreciate that #transcendancy is around, and im sure they appreciate us in #scans aswell.
We have 10 bans because we have been bot-attacked by those IPs, so they are banned with good reasons

We still need scanners though