User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 25 Oct 2006, 23:23   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Continuity or Performance?

I was just watching Garden State with directors commentary and he pointed out numerous areas where the continuity spotters would have a field day. In one scene there are several shots where the position of a doctors glasses changes quite a lot. He stated that he chose the best performance over continuity in scene changes.

Personally I agree that it's good to pick the best performance, although I do sometimes find continuity errors can be rather distracting from the film itself.

If you were to direct a film (with a decent sized budget) what would your be your priority?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

Last edited by All Systems Go; 26 Oct 2006 at 00:53.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 00:35   #2
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Continuity or Performance?

If critics would say that my film lacks continuity,
then I would say I chose best performance over continuity

Last edited by Alessio; 26 Oct 2006 at 00:41.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 00:40   #3
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I find that I rarely notice such things, and that it does not detract from the movie when I do.

Really when you are engrossed in the story it is rather difficult to pick these things up. Personally I don't tend to focus on the angle of the shot vis the placement of particular objects.

Even films like the Matrix - which has dozens of continuity errors - never really bothered me. As long as the director makes a decent stab at smoothing the worst of it out, I don't think it could ever detract from the quality of the film.
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 00:48   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
I find that I rarely notice such things, and that it does not detract from the movie when I do.

Really when you are engrossed in the story it is rather difficult to pick these things up. Personally I don't tend to focus on the angle of the shot vis the placement of particular objects.

Even films like the Matrix - which has dozens of continuity errors - never really bothered me. As long as the director makes a decent stab at smoothing the worst of it out, I don't think it could ever detract from the quality of the film.
I was thinking this but in a movie you've watched loads of times you will eventually notice every little error and it may become irritating.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 01:56   #5
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I was thinking this but in a movie you've watched loads of times you will eventually notice every little error and it may become irritating.
I think that even then it tends not to annoy me very much. Again I've seen the Matrix dozens of times (studied it in highschool etc) and I still don't get annoyed when I notice some of the errors.

If you watch Garden State over and over again sure, you might pick one or two of them up, but I don't think it detracts from the overall story to the point where you throw your hands up in consternation.

I tend not to nitpick films. Continuity errors are perhaps trivially interesting, but they don't make or break a movie, even on the fifteenth rerun.
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 02:15   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
But you can't anticipate that the majority of film-goers will watch your film several times in order to pick up on the continuity errors.
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 06:00   #7
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I'll usually tend to pick up on continuity errors after watching a film 2-3 times, or more. For some reason I've found it demeaning in some instances in movies where you can tell they're doing something just to see if they can (ie extra special effects, a guy gets shot and flies across the room), where they could've done it simpler and made it more realistic.

My biggest pet peeve with movies is adaptations. Taking books, and then giving them the hollywood treatment to make them more exciting, or change certain parts of the story. I totally understand the need to cut out certain things since books can be quite long, but completely changing the story, or who's in a scene, or who says what line, drives me nuts. I find myself sitting through the movie, and saying I loved the book a whole lot better, and I can't believe they didn't just stick to what was in the book, if it's good enough to make into a movie, why do they need to change it. I will mention, I think the adaptation of The Rainmaker, is probably one of the closest movies to a book I've seen, and being that it's one of my favorite books, I was gald they got one right for a change.

Back to the topic, I think that continuity is good, but performance will always win out, and you can blame the stage or prop manager for continuity if it comes down to it. If it's really noticeable, when editing, you can always re-shoot the scene.
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 10:10   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Most of the things people call continuity errors don't really matter to me (e.g. how filled a glass water is, how large a cigarette is when someone smokes, etc). Obviously if they're too blatant they can be mildly distracting, but I'm not sure how often that happens (even things like haircuts changing slightly mid-scene don't really bother me). I guess I'm not a very visual person.

Other types of continuity errors annoy me slightly more. In Clerks it's supposed to be a Saturday but then other things seem to indicate it's midweek. And then if characters behaviour is out of synch with their earlier statements / characterisation that generally annoys me. But they're usually writer errors, not director / cinematographers.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 10:23   #9
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Never watched it, but according to Crew tab from Amazon, it was written, directed, produced, and edited by Kevin Smith. So in this instance, it would be pretty much all on him for continuity.
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 11:23   #10
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
But you can't anticipate that the majority of film-goers will watch your film several times in order to pick up on the continuity errors.
What about you as a film-maker, you would know every little imperfection there was, wouldn't it bug you then?
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 11:37   #11
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
What about you as a film-maker, you would know every little imperfection there was, wouldn't it bug you then?
Of course - although I'd try to make damn sure that there weren't any screw-ups in the first place.
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 11:38   #12
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

whilst continuity doesn't really annoy me that much as say, plot discrepencies*, i'd probably place good value on it nevertheless just because i'd want my work to be somewhat perfect i guess.

*garden state has a shitload of this, but i was able to look past them as just take it for what it's worth as a watch-able film. it's main issue is that everything that actually happens is so cliche it's quite laughable, the whole abyss thing was awful. however it is a pretty "nice" film, plus natalie portman is cute as hell.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 13:24   #13
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If the film's good enough it doesn't really matter. For instance, in Star Wars (I foget which one) Leia shouts "Mark!" instead of "Luke!", and no-one goes "Oh look how stoddy this film is!" or "That yoda looks like a bloody puppet!"

Film makers shouldn't be that bothered with either, but instead they should make sure the plot enrapures the audience, that way they won't really care.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 16:48   #14
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

In the future DVDs will have both "continuity" versions and "performance" versions, as well as the "worst takes" version.

And everyone will still be using the frame-by-frame function to find the part where Jessica Rabbit's dress flips up.

anyway.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2006, 20:08   #15
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
My biggest pet peeve with movies is adaptations. Taking books, and then giving them the hollywood treatment to make them more exciting, or change certain parts of the story. I totally understand the need to cut out certain things since books can be quite long, but completely changing the story, or who's in a scene, or who says what line, drives me nuts. I find myself sitting through the movie, and saying I loved the book a whole lot better, and I can't believe they didn't just stick to what was in the book, if it's good enough to make into a movie, why do they need to change it.

I'm with u there ... hollywood had a tendancy to *disney * an ending (make it happy)... they dont do it so much now, but the worst culprit of the was First Knight .. an aurthurian tale... without a merlin .. and in the end the loving couple run off together .. to live happily ever after.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote