User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 7 Mar 2010, 19:36   #1
ricoshay
Save energy: Be apathetic

ricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to behold
new appearance

I just signed up for the beta and I've seen some stuff that simply stand out.

1. Left panel menu:

a) Foreign Affairs > Galaxy Status / Galaxy - Why are the galaxy sections under foreign affairs? From a role-play point of view I can understand, but looking at it from my PA experience it just doesn't fit.

b) Could we, please, have the tabs in the same order as before? It's annoying like they are arranged now.

2. Constructions tab:

Why in earth do I see a description of the building without asking for it? Just loads up space for no purpose really and I have to scroll down quite a bit to reach the FC.

3. Research tab:

Again, I have to scroll down.

4. The M/C/E icons:

Has Disney bought PA?

Conclusion?
Please, give us an option under preferences in which we can pick the layout we want and like without forcing a new one in. This way you can introduce new things to it as much as you want and not piss off people.
Unread 7 Mar 2010, 19:54   #2
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: new appearance

Screenshots?
Unread 7 Mar 2010, 20:02   #3
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a bigger screen.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2010, 20:21   #4
ricoshay

ricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
Screenshots?
http://img534.imageshack.us/i/leftmenuq.jpg/

http://img534.imageshack.us/i/constructions.jpg/

Running 1920 x 1080 on a 22" display, stoom. ^^
Unread 7 Mar 2010, 20:26   #5
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Liking the direction taken for the changes, PATeam
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2010, 21:22   #6
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoshay View Post
Running 1920 x 1080 on a 22" display, stoom. ^^
guess i'm gonna have to buy an external monitor in order to play pa on my laptop.

has anyone loaded up beta on mobile? has anything changed?
Unread 7 Mar 2010, 23:06   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The only thing I dislike about the new layout is that it doesn't fit on a width of 1024 pixels. Horizontal scrolling ftl.

As for Galaxy Status... I'm not sure where I'd put it. Neither Military nor Foreign Affairs quite fits.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 7 Mar 2010 at 23:11.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2010, 00:12   #8
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Foreign affairs fits for galaxy status, considering that your galaxy is sort of foreign territory.

Only downside is, as mz already pointed out, the insane width. There's some spare horizontal space available that could easily be cut out and would hopefully make a 1024 pixels resolution.
Unread 8 Mar 2010, 06:55   #9
HellKicker
Fook Yu
Cell-Out Champion

HellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
The only thing I dislike about the new layout is that it doesn't fit on a width of 1024 pixels. Horizontal scrolling ftl.

As for Galaxy Status... I'm not sure where I'd put it. Neither Military nor Foreign Affairs quite fits.
Finally i can sit back and relax with my WSXGA+ laptop screen, and enjoy how frustrated everybody else gets. Noone sells decent laptops with 1680x1050 resolution anymore. i won. gg.
Unread 8 Mar 2010, 08:32   #10
tobbe

tobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to beholdtobbe is a splendid one to behold

this really beats the crap out of my 7" netbook with 800*480

VisioN Forever!
tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2010, 10:14   #11
BaasB

BaasB will become famous soon enoughBaasB will become famous soon enough

I loaded beta on my phone and it is hardly playable with it.
all kinds of texts disappear or run trough each other. Especially the menu on the right is messed up with the score/resources etc...
BaasB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2010, 10:54   #12
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaasB View Post
I loaded beta on my phone and it is hardly playable with it.
all kinds of texts disappear or run trough each other. Especially the menu on the right is messed up with the score/resources etc...
To my information the mobile interface who has been there the last rounds isn't uploaded and tested yet.
Thats why its not working very well on a mobile so far
Unread 8 Mar 2010, 15:18   #13
Korsan
Always MadcowS

Korsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the roughKorsan is a jewel in the rough

some ppl just like moaning.

I like the changes! Especially the visuals you start using now. Tooltips and stuff were missing and scaring off any new users. Go on this way!

And...

Relation Change Ascendancy and the Horde are now at war with each other.
Korsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2010, 20:12   #14
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Quote:
Agreeing with this sentiment.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Mar 2010, 23:39   #15
Rafars

Rafars is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem to be any other skins other than the round 32 skin. I prefer the last rounds skins.

Oh about where you can put Galaxy thats simple :
Create a Galaxy section on the left tab with Galaxy, Gal status and politics in it. you could even out the forums in there and the com unit and get rid of the title communications all together

oh and its wonderful having a mac being able to reduce the size of the screen with the touch pad
Rafars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2010, 04:25   #16
Gerbie2
Alive and kicking

Gerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to allGerbie2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafars View Post
One thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem to be any other skins other than the round 32 skin. I prefer the last rounds skins.
The skins are still being worked on.
Gerbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2010, 14:40   #17
Razock

Razock is an unknown quantity at this point

well i loaded it with my phone, EVEN NOW TYPing this message on my phone and it works perfect. don't really how the old pa looked like so i like the new look.
Razock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2010, 18:45   #18
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

checked it out on my phone it works fine , layout is only slightly different from previous rounds

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2010, 21:10   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
This is the only thing that really annoys me. And by really annoys I mean for ****s sake cin can you not go one solitary round without coding in a change that makes you look like a total wanker?
Unread 12 Mar 2010, 17:06   #20
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future

Screen-estate has become a small hell these days. Some years back, everything was going in the right direction, with screen-sizes increasing at a slow but steady speed.
Then wide-screen came along and cut away a lot of the height, and added it to the width. Good for movies, but certainly not for most web-applications or websites. A typical newspaper-site are more based around something like 640 * 50000 so you scroll and scroll and scroll. But only downwards at least.
Then came the terrible netbooks, with their puny screens (which is why I don't have one, my 18,4" laptop = 1920*1080) down to 800*480 or something, which should clearly be a serious offense punishable by death. And of course, now iPhones, various Androids and whatnot, are coming in all over the place....gaah...Standards? Hah. That said, some of these mobile devices do a good job at zooming out, to fit the content, so that is at least not as bad it could have been.

There are however some definite NONOs, and the horizontal scrollbar is certainly one of them. From what I can tell about most of my player in ML these days, is that 1280*800 seems to be the the most frequent "low-res" category, clearly due to the use of laptops. I know there are some silly 1280*768 out there too, but obviously much fewer. PA has one big advantage though, which makes it easy to avoid the dreaded HorizontalScrollbarOfDeath, and that is ofc that it is not bound to any special height on the different pages. With that benefit, I'd suggest that you take extra care to work on 1024*768 without horizontal scrollbars at least. Then you can use as much space as you wish to use vertically.
Unread 12 Mar 2010, 19:17   #21
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Spinner, we love you.

Also, no joy on that other thing. It seems everyone's tied up until the summer with coursework, I'll get back to you then.
Unread 22 Mar 2010, 07:59   #22
ricoshay

Given that there are quite a few people that do NOT like the new layout of the research/construction/waves pages and/or the new side-menu, could we pretty please have a "classic" skin with the old layout available?