User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 30 May 2006, 10:27   #51
Audacious

Audacious is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Complete Overhaul of Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran
Nope, infact in time alliances will be formed on default anyway. IF your galaxy of 10 ends #2 then the next round you'll think "what if we work together with 4 other galaxies and make sure one of them takes the win" ...

And soon you'll have 5 galaxies fighting for the same common goal, obviously avoiding eachother as that'd hurt their own ultimate goal. And there you have what pple would call an 'alliance'.
thats one good thing to come from it, would it be 5 private galaxies all 1up/angels, or would we have some new guys in the galaxies, thus increasing the playerbase at the top end of the players?
Audacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 11:06   #52
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious
thats one good thing to come from it, would it be 5 private galaxies all 1up/angels, or would we have some new guys in the galaxies, thus increasing the playerbase at the top end of the players?
It would be 5 galaxies of friends. Much like current alliances. Ofcourse there will be Angels and 1up who are friends and would, in the galaxy scenario, fight together while currently they'd remain loyal to their alliance prior to their friends.

I don't see how this would get next players to play PA.

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 12:31   #53
Audacious

Audacious is an unknown quantity at this point

Well at present the ally is the be all and end all, to get into an alliance you have to prove yourself to be a active player, and even then you might not get into an alliance. This then leaves no space for the galaxy

With this new system, the galaxy becomes your best friend, how many people this round (and in previous rounds) fake nicked in gal, just idling quite happily there. With no alliance you would have to find out about your galaxy, new players who do not have an alliance, but turn up on irc in the galaxy channel would actually have someone to talk to. They may well turn out to be a very good player, with fake nicking and either no alliance or a poor one, he could well leave thinking well this is a closed game.

Moving forward this new player would have someone to tlak to, actually get help when he asks for it, it may turn out to be a very worthwhile player to have.
Audacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 19:16   #54
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo
the same purpose they had since rd 1 when ppl grouped together for support in this game
if you want to remove alliances then also remove attacking and defending and re-name the game tiddlywinks

so true heh.. the idea of the gal vs gal sounds OK(bein bit generous with an ok needs more thought) , but, gzambo, removal out of gal def would make allies redundant except in atackin terms, but these allies will still be there and the leet of the allies who attack more organised and better than others will win, and the topics original point of makin it better for new players -- well no, still same situation wud occur.

i see new players participating in higher echelon allies and doing well regulary, its just the ones who keep getting exiled over and over that start to think oo this game is shit no1 likes me, i keep being rejected
^^
to make this game more accesible to that class of newbie is the key to makin the player base grow, but newbies arnt going to play and stay playing pa unless they are active, if they are, they do..

reason this game doesnt work well for newer, less active players is simple: this game drains your time, let it and play n luv it, or dnt n dnt play.
Round 20 - Rank 7 - Destiny (Zik)
Round 24 - Rank 2 - Conspiracy (Xan)
Round 28 - Rank 4 - Ascendancy (Xan)
Round 66 - Rank 9 - Ultores (Etd)
Round 83 - Rank 10 - #METOO (Zik)
Round 85 - Rank 3 - QQ (Etd)
Round 89 - Rank 2 - VGN (Zik)
Round 91 - Rank 9 - VGN (Zik)
Caj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2006, 07:59   #55
Ptraci

Ptraci is a jewel in the roughPtraci is a jewel in the roughPtraci is a jewel in the rough

I have played the early rounds and I have played the most recent rounds and I have to say that I much prefer the new setup with alliances being an integral part of the game. The game is much more interesting and I have become part of a close knit group of friends through my alliance which still exists today even though some of us (including me) have now moved on and joined other alliances. Having the alliances in game is a great way of meeting new people knowing that you have at least one thing in common - PA and this is much easier now than it was in the early rounds.

I would definitely like to see alliances stay and am looking forward to seeing what the PA team can do to improve the in-game alliance tools.

r3 - r5 - Gondor alliance
r14 - Orbit member
r15 - Orbit DC
r15 - r17 - Orbit HC
r17 - r19 - Insurrection HC
Ptraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jun 2006, 08:29   #56
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Personally I think that there are quite a few points regarding the game which have to change. However, removing the ingame alliances is certainly NOT on that list, I'd even go as far as hard-coding defense so that you can only defend your galaxy and your alliance for the simple reason to stop getting around the alliance limit (that soft rule is clearly something useless).
Removing alliances would simply lead to having two or three huge alliances since the most active and dedicated people tend to join an existing strong alliance. Now in my opinion THAT would be damn boring for everyone.
Unread 13 Jun 2006, 10:02   #57
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caj
reason this game doesnt work well for newer, less active players is simple: this game drains your time, let it and play n luv it, or dnt n dnt play.
Despite the almost incomprehensible illiteracy of this comment, er no offence intended, I think that caj does have a very important point. You have to look at the type of people you're trying to attract, the type of people you're turning away and the type of people you should attract. The current system tries to attract everyone. It fails because the game is not immediately fun. The entertaining parts of the game emerge in alliance interactions and advanced tactics. It will take you literally weeks to get there from a "standing start". So what encourages people to get involved? Awareness of the complexity of, and enjoyment to be found in, the game. I think one of the best routes to go down to heighten this awareness is a comprehensive database and history of the game that is immediately and highly publically available. Let's face if you're playing a space-based wargame on the internet you're probably going to be a bit of a nerd who enjoys a good sci-fi story!