User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Oct 2006, 13:10   #1
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society
#politics

PA support has a channel set up that allows 2 members from each alliance to idle in.....and from past experience, and what I'm told, not much happens there.....

My particular alliance has more than 2 people that are involved in the political planning, thus, 2 isn't adequate. So we basically registered #politics so that alliances can have whoever they need in a centralized channel for quick access to each other.

basically how it will work is, each alliance will be allowed one member of their HC with 400 access and @

they will then be allowed up to 4 additional alliance officers/members who will be added with 25 access and be voiced. This is an unnofficial channel, and I expect a lot of idling, but it will be there if anyone wants to actually use it. the @'s will moderate the channel to the extent of any rediculous fighting or arguing will be minimised, and we'll basically use the honor system, so if your there, don't act like a complete moron, you oughta be fine.

Again, this is not an official PA team channel. The rules are as stated above, and again, please refrain from making an idiot of yourself and there should be no problems.

There is no point to flame the idea, it's done, and we realize that it may not take right away and will have a lot of idlers, however, it's an opportunity for those of you who like me, hate trying to run ppl down in god knows what channel if something comes up.

Please contact me to be added, you'll find me in #newdawn (if I'm ZZZZ'ing please leave me a pm with alliance name, your p nick etc)

Last edited by aNgRyDuCk; 6 Oct 2006 at 16:44.
aNgRyDuCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 13:13   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: #politics

How will this differ from alliance members each idling in each others public channels?
How will disputes between alliances be handled there? Say alliance x and alliance y go to war, and alliance y happens to have extremely childish HC who ban everyone from alliance x in the channel ( or everyone full stop ) - what happens?
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 13:16   #3
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

aNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet societyaNgRyDuCk is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
How will this differ from alliance members each idling in each others public channels?
How will disputes between alliances be handled there? Say alliance x and alliance y go to war, and alliance y happens to have extremely childish HC who ban everyone from alliance x in the channel ( or everyone full stop ) - what happens?
it allows more than 2 ppl per alliance mostly, as some alliances have more than 2 ppl who deal with political planning

disputes will be handled like they are anywhere else, on the battle field, if ppl act like morons then hopefully someone will tie a knot in their ass and deal with them

if it comes down to it, I'll monitor the channel and deal with any extreme situations accordingly, those of you who know me know what that means
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 13:42   #4
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't think childishness would be too much of a problem. We all know that if a HC decides to go down the stupid route, repercussions would be fairly easy to pass onto their alliance. Furthermore, they probably wouldn't be allowed back into the channel afterwards.

EDIT: Oh, and this is a superb idea - saves me the need to idle in so many channels (or worry about not bothering).
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 13:46   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNgRyDuCk
those of you who know me know what that means
a baseball bat, and their kneecaps then
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 13:53   #6
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
a baseball bat, and their kneecaps then
I'll not answer on the grounds that my answer may incriminate me
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 15:01   #7
Avenged
Available

Avenged is just really niceAvenged is just really niceAvenged is just really niceAvenged is just really nice

hehe, think its a good idea, but still joining #alliances for now to see which has the best turn out...
Avenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 16:18   #8
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold

#alliances was probably the least significant channel I ever frequented. And you might be missing the point (or maybe I am) in that #alliances exists mainly as a means for HC to discuss game development/rules etc between themselves and with the PA team. In other words, those two people from each alliance acted both in terms of their HC interest, but also as delegates for their members. It created a workable arena in which to genuinely discuss game development and how alliances as a whole feel about it. Whether it actually served this purpose (I think it did at times) is irrelevant since I believe this was the intention.

I don't think it was ever intended as a political discussion channel (indeed, why would the PA team want to bother setting up and administering a channel for political discussion between all alliances when they gain nothing from it?). In fact, having all the alliances watch your discussions makes the whole thing pointless as a means of constructing (or even destructing) relationships. The only thing I found it useful for in a political sense was to see if particular HC were online when I wanted to talk to them. Otherwise it's simply a centre of self importance and perhaps an arena for propaganda or manipulation.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 16:24   #9
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous
#alliances was probably the least significant channel I ever frequented. And you might be missing the point (or maybe I am) in that #alliances exists mainly as a means for HC to discuss game development/rules etc between themselves and with the PA team. In other words, those two people from each alliance acted both in terms of their HC interest, but also as delegates for their members. It created a workable arena in which to genuinely discuss game development and how alliances as a whole feel about it. Whether it actually served this purpose (I think it did at times) is irrelevant since I believe this was the intention.
apparently it is mostly just ppl idling now so I'm told, with the occasional discussion, that generally leads to nothing. Again, paraphrasing there.....

Quote:
I don't think it was ever intended as a political discussion channel (indeed, why would the PA team want to bother setting up and administering a channel for political discussion between all alliances when they gain nothing from it? In fact, having all the alliances watch your discussions makes the whole thing pointless in that sense. The only thing I found it useful for in a political sense was to see if particular HC were online when I wanted to talk to them. Otherwise it's simply a centre of self importance.
the intention of this channel isn't so there is a place to discuss politics openly, unless ofcourse it's a general subject, it's an easy means of communication and access to those with political responsabilities in their respective alliance. It's also explained as that. For whatever the reason, the channel (#alliances) hasn't evolved to meet the general needs of the alliance community based on the initial response to this new channel. as we now have 13 alliances represented there so far.

Last edited by aNgRyDuCk; 7 Oct 2006 at 00:11.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 16:32   #10
Furyous

Furyous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to beholdFuryous is a splendid one to behold

Well I don't disagree with what you're doing, I hope you find it useful. But somehow I just think you'll find it's use limited in that you justified it as a political forum: by saying that more than 2 people are politically active within an alliance. I suspect, as #alliances was much of the time, all it will be is a shortcut to finding the person you want to talk to, when you could always just join the relevant public channel and look for someone.

One time when I remember #alliances being particularly useful and very heated was with the alliance score system pre round 18. Clearly this was a developmental issue but those alliances had a certain stake and interest in backing particular systems. There was a very long discussion backed up with a large forum thread, and I'm sure that the PA team took serious consideration of the content of both of those when coming to a decision.

I'm not surprised you already have 9-10 though. As i say, they want to think they're important and join another secret channel behind closed doors. Well that's a bit synical, but I'm sure some do
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 16:32   #11
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
#alliances was probably the least significant channel I ever frequented. And you might be missing the point (or maybe I am) in that #alliances exists mainly as a means for HC to discuss game development/rules etc between themselves and with the PA team.

Just to clarify, #alliances was never JUST for HC.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 16:41   #12
Furyous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
Just to clarify, #alliances was never JUST for HC.
Quite so it was for two representatives of your alliance, whoever they may be. Although clearly a HC must put forward the names. You can't just volunteer yourself (unless you are the HC of course). Nontheless, they are official representatives of the alliance and thus representatives of the HC too.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 16:53   #13
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

#alliances also historically has "honoured guests" who were invited as they used to say useful things with regards to alliances.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 16:58   #14
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

another example of totally subjective favoritism.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 17:13   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrow|Pony
another example of totally subjective favoritism.
what has #alliances got to do with objectivity? Its full of alliance HCs who all have their own agendas etc. As example of an "honoured guest" from the past would be me - alch and I set up #alliances orginally and I wasn't an alliance HC at the time.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 18:14   #16
Forest

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Quite so it was for two representatives of your alliance, whoever they may be. Although clearly a HC must put forward the names. You can't just volunteer yourself (unless you are the HC of course). Nontheless, they are official representatives of the alliance and thus representatives of the HC too.

Wrong tbh.

You dont have to be hc to be there.
Unread 6 Oct 2006, 23:32   #17
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Wrong tbh.

They were cleaning it up the other day.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2006, 17:05   #18
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

aye i was there for a round without being hc, even though nothing much happened, it only perked up when sid ever came on and the banter started
Unread 7 Oct 2006, 17:19   #19
Furyous

Quote:
Wrong tbh.

Can you not read forest?! I agreed with you. Or did you just assume my posting was a disagreement without having read it?
Unread 7 Oct 2006, 18:59   #20
Forest

Quote:
Can you not read forest?! I agreed with you. Or did you just assume my posting was a disagreement without having read it?
Ok let me repharse it.

You have not needed to be hc, nor a representative of any alliance.

That better for you?
Unread 7 Oct 2006, 20:18   #21
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

despite my thoughts when it was created ( i'd get banned for saying em)
#alliances actually works - for most of the time people in there work towards betterment of the game, theres allways someone with an agenda but its normally spotable at 50 paces by a blind man.

we dont end up shouting and screaming and scheming in there, there is a pleasant atmosphere most of the time ( gotta be honest.. everyone has their moments/bad days )

we do discuss on occaision quite heatedly points of the game that are not working.

so based on that .. i'd give this new channel a chance first.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2006, 23:55   #22
aNgRyDuCk
Hired Thug

update

we now have 15 alliances represented, also we've added furball (alliance recruitment mod) and Lokken (alliance discussion mod), in addition to Chef and Kloopy from PA team.

Last edited by aNgRyDuCk; 8 Oct 2006 at 02:08.