User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Jul 2006, 00:45   #1
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice
Chick Flicks

After watching The Notebook, A Walk to Remember and Love Actually this weekend, all I'm going to be watching for the rest of my life are chick flicks! Forget the action movies, horror movies and the sci-fi's! It's all about chick flicks!!!

If you guys know any more that you might have been suckered in to watch by your girlfriend when she decides to stay the weekend with you, just post here please.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 01:13   #2
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Chick Flicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
A Walk to Remember
Did you mean An Affair to Remember? An Affair to Remembeer is the prototypical chick flick.

A Message in a Bottle should be right up your alley if you like chick flicks.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 01:50   #3
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

My girlfriend loves Bridgett Jones' Diaries
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 02:29   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

robin hood, prince of thieves
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 09:21   #5
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
After watching The Notebook, A Walk to Remember and Love Actually this weekend, all I'm going to be watching for the rest of my life are chick flicks! Forget the action movies, horror movies and the sci-fi's! It's all about chick flicks!!!

If you guys know any more that you might have been suckered in to watch by your girlfriend when she decides to stay the weekend with you, just post here please.
I must say this is the most pleasant way I have ever seen of ´coming out´. For how long did you know you were gay before you dared to say it out loud?

Unread 11 Jul 2006, 09:30   #6
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Did you mean An Affair to Remember? An Affair to Remembeer is the prototypical chick flick.
It's A Walk To Remember. I watched it at my friend's house one night I was over there. His sister picked it out. I've been subjected to lots of "chick flicks" watching movies over at his house.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 09:45   #7
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Personally I regard them as gross capitalization of the ´Bambi´-emotion. I find watching them a waste of time as they sort of keep you high for an hour and twenty minutes after wich I think ´God this was a waste of time´ while my GF sobs and says ´wasn´t that beautiful´.
However she will not watch films like ´The Killing Fields´, ´JFK´ and ´Apocalyse Now´ wich are undoubtedly less amusing than ´let´s dance´ or ´Handkerchief in Dallas´.

Chick flicks. Blech. I spit on them all.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 10:21   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Everyone enjoys at least one of them. I was partial to sliding doors, for instance.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 11:46   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Anything with Hugh Grant in is generally classed as a chick-flick and is likely to be watchable too. I find that British chick-flicks are a bit more refined and amusing than the American ones, but that could be completely because I am British.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 13:02   #10
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

is before sunrise a chick flick?
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 13:08   #11
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Fight Club?
lolorz

Yes, on a certain level everything with Brad is either aimed at gay humans or chicks.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 13:23   #12
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Love Actually is all around us.

Hugh Grant is a legend in chick flicks, ranging back from the classic Pretty Woman and Four Weddings and a Funeral through to his latest stuff. Think my favourite chick flick has to be Notting Hill though. Mainly down to spike
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 13:27   #13
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
Personally I regard them as gross capitalization of the ´Bambi´-emotion. I find watching them a waste of time as they sort of keep you high for an hour and twenty minutes after wich I think ´God this was a waste of time´ while my GF sobs and says ´wasn´t that beautiful´.
However she will not watch films like ´The Killing Fields´, ´JFK´ and ´Apocalyse Now´ wich are undoubtedly less amusing than ´let´s dance´ or ´Handkerchief in Dallas´.

Chick flicks. Blech. I spit on them all.
i have a rather big dvd-collection with some real masterpieces, but my gf doesn't want to see any of them because they contain fighting, swearing and blood.
the last movies i saw with her were 'pride and prejudice', some film about the life of a canadian deerhunter and 'keeping mum'. :crymeariver:
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 13:27   #14
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I like some "chick flicks" such as Amelie and Before Sunrise and erm... Fight Club?
Amelie or Before Sunrise are hardly what I'd class as chick flicks. Chick flicks are really just a narrow sub genre of the whole romance genre that has limited appeal outside the female demographic due to its cheesyness and over sentimentality. A good romance film however will have a wider demographic as the romance is a story point which doesnt go ott and doesnt drown out the bigger story with cheesyness and sentiment
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 13:35   #15
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

You just have to see it differently, don't you?
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 14:15   #16
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Well I think that if you are just classing chick flicks as films you don't like that's fine, but not really helpful.
Well, I'm pretty much using the saem definition if that helps.

Just as most guys seem to have a remarkable ability to accept the most brain-dead action ever girls seem to swallow the most over-sentimental feeling-crap ever. Both genres are equally shallow, we just seem to accept different trash when we want to turn our brains off. Interestingly, we find the same pattern when it comes to both comics and regular literature (see guys reading action-books and the majority of books published in the fantasy-genre and girls reading 'horrible shallow books')

I thus classify a chick-flick as something close to "an emotional film, so shallow you have to actively turn your brain off in order to not scream at it".
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 15:11   #17
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Well I think that if you are just classing chick flicks as films you don't like that's fine, but not really helpful. However if we are talking about films that are not just about romance but feature females characters as the main protagonist in the case of Amelie or as the dominant character as in Before Sunrise then consider that whilst of course the issues of love and relationships are not exclusive to women, they are certainly issues which pre-occupy women more in terms of narrative consumption. Furthermore if you consider the more meandering nature of both plots they certainly qualify as superior examples of chick-flicks. The English Patient is a more borderline case as is Howards End. Wings of the Dove is another excellent Chick Flick. Tehse films are for girls but that does not mean that only girls whatch them, hence the thread.

In any case you note that I joked about the lack of decent chick flicks with my Fight Club comment. Of course if you are just going to single out Working Title productions and that ilk then you really have narrowed down the conversation.
I havent said that I havent ever liked a chick flick. A chick flick that realises its a chick flick and does it well can be fun and enjoyable enough. I'm thinking for example Pretty Women, Dirty Dancing, Grease and Four Weddings all which are extreamly shallow and cheesy but are fun and enjoyable at the same time. In fact as far as chick flicks go theres probally fewer of them that I really hate than there is deeper romantic movies as theres alot less to totally screw the movie up with.

I also know for a fact that people i've encouraged see Before Sunset its been the men whom have enjoyed it more than the women. Before Sunset is more of a charachter peice than anything, the movie deals as much about 2 people finding out about each and finding friendship as much as two people finding 'love' . If you replaced the male and female charachetrs with two hetrosexual males or females and removed the romance undertones alot of the movie would still play out extreamly well as its a charachter study as much as anything. The women find it too slow and not soppy enough in general where as the men find it more enjoyable than a chick flick as it doesnt get too sentinmental and cheesy
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 15:14   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I try and avoid watching films sober anymore. I find it improves the quality tremendously.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 15:18   #19
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Where does 10 Things I Hate About You fit into this chick-flick or not thing?
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 15:21   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
Where does 10 Things I Hate About You fit into this chick-flick or not thing?
I liked that film and clueless but I think they're more teen comedies, or "linday lohan films" as they've come to be known, than chick-flicks.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 15:24   #21
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I feel vindicated.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 15:26   #22
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
I feel vindicated.
I'd be satisfied with feeling Linday Lohan.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 15:51   #23
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Notting Hill i suppose goes under chick flick?

When you mean chick flicks are you also after sad movies that makes girls cry? (atleast a walk to remember and the notebook are such films)
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 15:59   #24
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I liked that film and clueless but I think they're more teen comedies, or "linday lohan films" as they've come to be known, than chick-flicks.
Those two movies are intresting in my eyes for the way they managed to reverse the positions of their sources.

Clueless is basically Jane Austins Emma. Now Emma to me screams out "Chick flick screenplay" when you read it. However Clueless manages to play it for enough laughs and have enough biting social commentary that it probally pulls off the Teen Comedy angle more than Chick Flick

10 things on the other hand is based on Shakespere The Taming of the Shrew. When I read this at school it seemed to have some depth about it however the movie seems to downplay the comedy found in the play and it comes off a little cheesy and probally finds itself being closer to a Chick Flick (or maybe the Teen Drama description that TV likes using to descrip something thats Chick Flickesq but aimed at teens).
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 16:12   #25
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
i have a rather big dvd-collection with some real masterpieces, but my gf doesn't want to see any of them because they contain fighting, swearing and blood.

What a suprise, your girlfriend doesn't like your Henati tentacle rape porn collection.
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 16:23   #26
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReligFree
Hugh Grant is a legend in chick flicks, ranging back from the classic Pretty Woman and Four Weddings and a Funeral through to his latest stuff.
Hugh Grant isn't in Pretty Woman

I'd class Clueless/Mean Girls/Lindsay Lohan etc as chick flicks, although I guess they're more teen type films.

Traditionally, "chick flicks" are the obvious ones such as Dirty Dancing or Grease.

Where is the line drawn for something to be a "chick flick" though? Something that women tend to like but men don't? If so, I wouldn't class Amelie or Before Sunrise as chick flicks. But then what about something such as Brokeback Mountain, Moulin Rouge, When a Man loves a Woman or Chicago?
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 16:26   #27
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Those two movies are intresting in my eyes for the way they managed to reverse the positions of their sources.

Clueless is basically Jane Austins Emma. Now Emma to me screams out "Chick flick screenplay" when you read it. However Clueless manages to play it for enough laughs and have enough biting social commentary that it probally pulls off the Teen Comedy angle more than Chick Flick

10 things on the other hand is based on Shakespere The Taming of the Shrew. When I read this at school it seemed to have some depth about it however the movie seems to downplay the comedy found in the play and it comes off a little cheesy and probally finds itself being closer to a Chick Flick (or maybe the Teen Drama description that TV likes using to descrip something thats Chick Flickesq but aimed at teens).
I was just going off the fact that both films have teenagers as their main characters...
Unread 11 Jul 2006, 16:37   #28
paolo
Kwaak

paolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to allpaolo is a name known to all

Moulin rouge anyone?
paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2006, 04:03   #29
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
I'm a REAL man and I've proven it by NOT watching chick flicks. And I'm going to continue NOT watching chick flicks to keep proving to everybody that I'm a REAL man because I'm scared that if I do watch these types of movies, they might think I'm gay...

Unread 12 Jul 2006, 11:53   #30
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Worst Chick Flick in the world ever = Coyote Ugly

And as for Moulin Rouge, not neccesarily a chick flick, id put it on the same line as things like Chicago as a musical more than anything else. Oh and did i forget to mention that i love it! Come what may....
Unread 12 Jul 2006, 17:58   #31
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Moulin Rouge was good for watching with the sound off, and skipping through parts without Nicole Kidman in them.

Oh and demigod, you're officially pussy whipped.
Unread 12 Jul 2006, 18:15   #32
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

classic chick flicks like ghost and beaches might even get your g/f emotional enough for a shag

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2006, 05:03   #33
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Ghost. I agree!

Unread 13 Jul 2006, 05:26   #34
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ha, my wife likes action movies and 24.
Unread 13 Jul 2006, 09:33   #35
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
I'm a REAL man and I've proven it by NOT watching chick flicks. And I'm going to continue NOT watching chick flicks to keep proving to everybody that I'm a REAL man because I'm scared that if I do watch these types of movies, they might think I'm gay...
This is the silliest pull any man ever performed on me. But if I´m in the neighbourhood I´ll give you a ring and if you are pretty I may pound your tight ass.

(I REALLY, REALLY DON´T like chick flicks, mostly for their shallowness)