User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 Mar 2005, 10:35   #1
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Holy Mother Of Jesus!!!!1122

Quote:

Dear Sir or Madam,

It has come to Microsoft's attention that your systems includes illegal licenses of our operating system Windows 2000 Server, in violation of Microsoft's intellectual property rights. Content currently residing within your computer systems infringes on the trademark rights of Microsoft Corporation and constitutes an unauthorized activity relating to Microsoft computer programs. Moreover, the material contains proprietary trade secret information belonging to Microsoft. I am authorized to act on behalf of Microsoft in this matter.

The infringing materials residing on your systems are available at the following locations:

xx.xx.xx.74

xx.xx.xx.68

xx.xx.xx.69

xx.xx.xx.71

xx.xx.xx.81

xx.xx.xx.84

xx.xx.xx.72

xx.xx.xx.73

xx.xx.xx.77

xx.xx.xx.79

We request that you immediately take steps to solve this problem. If you do not act expeditiously to remo! ve access to the infringing material, you may otherwise be liable for trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, and/or other remedies at law, including civil and criminal penalties.

We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Please advise us regarding what actions you take.

Yours sincerely,

James Henderson,

on behalf of Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
United States of America
My boss will have a great day today.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 10:40   #2
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Re: Holy Mother Of Jesus!!!!1122

Ooh and they keep coming in!

I am still wondering if they are fake or not
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 10:47   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Where's the email from?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 10:51   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

companies and illegal software don't mix well. for private users they hardly give a damn, but companies is where the real money is.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 10:51   #5
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Microsoft Corporation [[email protected]]

Traces back to M$ allright
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 10:55   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The first thing I would do is try to verify that it's real:
a) Does the name check out (google)
b) Does the email address it came from check out (ditto)
c) Do the email headers make sense? Has it been routed from MS IP addresses, or are there suspicious entries? Source emal address is easily spoofed etc

Secondly, I assume from what you said you do actually have unlicenced software, but what's this about trade secrets?
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 11:07   #7
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

write back and tell them April Fools day is tomorrow.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 11:11   #8
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the header says

Received: from server.indiahits.com [66.96.219.5] by mail.xxxxxxx.com with ESMTP
(SMTPD32-7.15) id A0FE9028E; Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:21:02 +0200
Received: from server.indiahits.com (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
by server.indiahits.com (8.12.10/8.12.10) with ESMTP id j2V9M5L7003801;
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:22:06 GMT
Received: (from apache@localhost)
by server.indiahits.com (8.12.10/8.12.10/Submit) id j2V92lTY003580;
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:02:47 GMT
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:02:47 GMT
X-ClientAddr: 132.99.83.251
To: [email protected]
X-Priority: 3
X-Abuse: For immediate assistance contact [email protected]
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-type: text/html
Message-Id: <[email protected]>
Subject: MICROSOFT PIRACY
X-RCPT-TO: <[email protected]>
X-UIDL: 403348747
I dunno....

What occupies me ATM is that my boss said he didn´t care but (edit: Theoretically) I think it´s my responsibility as well (being head sysadmin under Spanish law means I´d actually be in deeper shit than he is).

Last edited by xtrasyn; 31 Mar 2005 at 11:17.
xtrasyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 11:29   #9
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

how can microsoft know what software you are using? i'm sure they couldn't find out via legal ways.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 11:34   #10
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

if your boss said he doesn't care igonre it. do you have the authority to buy a license for that software? unless you do i dont think you can be held completly responsible, it can't be your fault if you can do nothing about it.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 11:54   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That looks mighty suspicious to me...
The only mentioned IP/addy being indiahits.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by whois
indiahits.com

Certified Offer Service - Make an offer on this domain
Backorder - Try to get this name when it becomes available
Private Registration - Make personal information for this domain private
Similar Names - See suggested alternatives for this domain
Registrant: Make this info private
BANKRUPT HOLDINGS USA
ASIA BUILDINGS
BRIDGE KWAI
INDIA
MUMBAI, ANDRA PARDESH ND023
IN
Phone: 999 999 9999
Fax: 999 999 9999

Domain Name: INDIAHITS.COM

Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
Khaliq, Quamer
[email protected]
P.O BOX 90
Leeds UK LS8 3XT,
UK
Phone: 7971419655
Fax: 7971419665

Record expires on 01-May-2005
Record created on 01-May-1999
Database last updated on 07-Jul-2004

Domain servers in listed order: Manage DNS

NS1.RACKSHACK.NET 207.218.223.132
NS2.RACKSHACK.NET 207.218.223.162

Show underlying registry data for this record

Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
IP Address: 67.15.74.37 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: Apache 2
Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
Web Site Status: Active
DMOZ no listings
Y! Directory: see listings
Secure: No
E-commerce: No
Traffic Ranking: 1
Data as of: 08-Jun-2004
I see no connection to MS there.
The "RECIEVED" headers are in the order of top=most recent, so according to the bottom one the email originated from a local account at server.indiahit.com - why would they be sending out microsoft enforcement mail?

I would ignore this until you get proper contact. If they're really after you, they will send written notification.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 11:58   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Received: (from apache@localhost)
by server.indiahits.com (8.12.10/8.12.10/Submit) id j2V92lTY003580;
that email was sent by a web program of sorts.

Quote:
trade secret misappropriation
wtf ? how does having unlicensed copies of windows relate to stealing trade secrets ??
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 12:01   #13
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
if your boss said he doesn't care igonre it. do you have the authority to buy a license for that software? unless you do i dont think you can be held completly responsible, it can't be your fault if you can do nothing about it.
It´s as you say

I said ´linux´ from minute one; nor do I have any buying power in this sick company.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 12:07   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

On closer inspection, other tell tale signs indicating validity are missing.
All reptable email clients (read: everything that isn't a spam/stealth system) include certain "X-" fields. At the very least, X-Mailer should be included.

X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.6353
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-Originating-IP: 1.2.3.4

None of these are in your message.
Even VB sets X-Mailer (X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP) .

Basicly, this whole thing screams "scam" to me.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 12:12   #15
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i think that you should e mail the contact at india hits with just the words '**** off you bastard and stop spamming us'
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 12:16   #16
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

All seems very legitimate to me.

Hand your notice in and leave by 1500h today.

If you do not comply, the virus will be released.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 12:17   #17
wu_trax

well, maybe legally you would have to tell the police (or whoever) if you know about this. i dont have any idea about the legal situation here, let alone in spain.
we got a lot of very cheap software from MS somehow. i have no idea how my bosses got those licenses but i think we have almost all microsoft sells. ofc we use almost nothing of that because one of my bosses (who also is the sysadmin) is a linux freak who tries to avoid MS whereever possible .
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 12:25   #18
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
On closer inspection, other tell tale signs indicating validity are missing.
All reptable email clients (read: everything that isn't a spam/stealth system) include certain "X-" fields. At the very least, X-Mailer should be included.

X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.6353
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-Originating-IP: 1.2.3.4

None of these are in your message.
Even VB sets X-Mailer (X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP) .

Basicly, this whole thing screams "scam" to me.
but with what use? they most certainly wont pay the money to some guy on an anonymus bank account. besides, noone but MS would ever get the reply to this email.
who gains anything with this other than MS?
maybe some competitor of xtrasyn's company, but there has to be really hard competition before anyone would try this and software is hardly expensive enough to cause any damage.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 13:19   #19
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
but with what use? they most certainly wont pay the money to some guy on an anonymus bank account. besides, noone but MS would ever get the reply to this email.
who gains anything with this other than MS?
maybe some competitor of xtrasyn's company, but there has to be really hard competition before anyone would try this and software is hardly expensive enough to cause any damage.
"For a laugh"

"7E57!N9 |337 5|<!||z"

etc
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 13:35   #20
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

What Ragnarak said.

There is no way Microsoft should or would send important communication like that from outside their domain. After all, they know they're sending it to technical people ("sysadmin@") so they're bound to try and verify it - and if, like this case, it looks like it's a scam people will just ignore it.

Give me one good reason why MS would send threatening letters from the domain of an Indian music chart website.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 14:24   #21
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Give me one good reason why MS would send threatening letters from the domain of an Indian music chart website.
I can give two.

They are either:

Attempting to get trendy by forging new and exciting business opportunites with Windows for Bhangra

or.

The brother in law at one of their call centres owed them a favour, and when Bill wants you to help him, you help unless you want to wake up with a cows head in your bed.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 14:46   #22
wu_trax

Quote:
What Ragnarak said.

There is no way Microsoft should or would send important communication like that from outside their domain. After all, they know they're sending it to technical people ("sysadmin@") so they're bound to try and verify it - and if, like this case, it looks like it's a scam people will just ignore it.

i missed that, sorry. still makes no sense though. how can they even know they use illegal software?
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 15:01   #23
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

I must think a while to conjure up a satisfying plot involving Bill Gates, The Illuminati, President Bush and the Punjabi MC, and how they do this because I am on to their existance and intricate interdependancies etc.

However in the mean time I shall assume it was an unhappy customer.
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 15:07   #24
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Check if people have recieved similar emails on t'internet init.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 15:14   #25
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Talking Re: Holy Mother Of Jesus!!!!1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
Check if people have recieved similar emails on t'internet init.
Sure Weeks I´ll send an email to the whole world asking wtf this is about and if they have received some of this, and subsequently get fined for the original misdemeanor and the bulk mailing of spam as well!

(lol)
Unread 31 Mar 2005, 15:35   #26
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That made me giggle.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 09:59   #27
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
I dunno....

What occupies me ATM is that my boss said he didn´t care but (edit: Theoretically) I think it´s my responsibility as well (being head sysadmin under Spanish law means I´d actually be in deeper shit than he is).
Well, you know what - If you boss doesnt care and you are responsible for this (and could be in deep trouble for it) I'd switch the mudderfukkers off and give them 48 hours before the OS gets deleted. Its ultimately their problem not yours if you are not responsible for buying licenses.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 10:09   #28
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
Well, you know what - If you boss doesnt care and you are responsible for this (and could be in deep trouble for it) I'd switch the mudderfukkers off and give them 48 hours before the OS gets deleted. Its ultimately their problem not yours if you are not responsible for buying licenses.
im not sure if he can be held responsible, but he does what you suggest he certainly can be held responsible for trying to ruin his company and most likely will have to pay for it for a long long time.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 10:12   #29
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
im not sure if he can be held responsible, but he does what you suggest he certainly can be held responsible for trying to ruin his company and most likely will have to pay for it for a long long time.
Yes it´s a very, very stupid thing to do.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 12:34   #30
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

So, why are YOU responsible if your BOSS doesn't buy licenses?
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 12:56   #31
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
So, why are YOU responsible if your BOSS doesn't buy licenses?
Well

I am officially in charge of IT operations for this company. Anything like that would land on my plate.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 15:01   #32
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well

I am officially in charge of IT operations for this company. Anything like that would land on my plate.
Yes, but do you have a budget to buy licenses? If not then you cannot be accountable for the licensing issues, hence the reason I would switch the modderfukkers off and delete the OS after a short time - thats the most responsible thing you could do. It would comply with MS request to resolve the issue if your boss wasnt prepared to pay.

But since this is likely to be a scam it doesnt really matter.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 17:02   #33
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTester
Yes, but do you have a budget to buy licenses? If not then you cannot be accountable for the licensing issues, hence the reason I would switch the modderfukkers off and delete the OS after a short time - thats the most responsible thing you could do. It would comply with MS request to resolve the issue if your boss wasnt prepared to pay.

But since this is likely to be a scam it doesnt really matter.
1) No.
2) No.
3) No.
4) No.
5) WTF are you talking about, ´complying with MS´ is not exactly my goal in life, quite the opposite really.
6) No.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 17:04   #34
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
´complying with MS´ is not exactly my goal in life, quite the opposite really.
i'm getting a feeling of 'logical disconnect' here
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 17:14   #35
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
i'm getting a feeling of 'logical disconnect' here

Okay it´s like this, I really don´t give a shit what happens to this company or the people running it as I am leaving in little time and hate my boss with a vengeance; however, I was really amazed by receiving this mail because if it would be genuine it would be interesting to know the how and why of it - it would mean MS is using illegal methods to gather intel and act upon them - but then the topic changed a bit to the legal side of ´me being the sysadmin´ in this country and therefore CT´s well-meant, but incredibly bad advice would only mean I would **** over my colleagues in a way they neither deserve nor ask for, and most likely get me in bigger trouble then a supposedly illegal OS residing on the servers of the company - after all they are generating our income.
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 17:21   #36
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

So you don't have a budget to buy software, even though you are

"...officially in charge of IT operations for this company."

Maybe this would be a good time to raise this item to your management. Because it sounds retarded.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2005, 17:25   #37
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

It IS retarded and so is my management team (consisting of one reallly mad person).