User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 26 Apr 2006, 23:29   #1
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Fecking Nokia

So I got my new 6280 through the post on Tuesday evening, and it works like a dream. The 2 megapixel camera takes great photos (for a phone), the OS is fast and efficient, and the screen rocks. That made me one happy bunny.

I decided earlier this evening to shift some music/wallpapers onto the miniSD card that the phone comes with. So I installed the Nokia software and got the program working. All was good.

Then MSN Messenger stopped working. This wasn't good. I re-installed it, no good. Error message 80040111 for those who are interested - basically it was super-laggy and pinged the error back at me as soon as I clicked sign-in.

Googled around a bit, found someone had had a similar problem with their Samsung software. Aha, thought I. Proceeded to uninstall the Nokia program (and helpfully the phone's USB cable driver didn't uninstall with it).

It all now works swimmingly. Lovely. But ****ing hell Nokia, there'll be a lot of people out there who won't have the nous to solve this type of problem like I did.
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 00:28   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Fecking Nokia

Your post doesnt really make it clear what the actual problem was (or whether there was an actual problem), so I'm reluctant to comment, however:

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
It all now works swimmingly. Lovely. But ****ing hell Nokia, there'll be a lot of people out there who won't have the nous to solve this type of problem like I did.
While there's no excuse for companies shipping products with dodgy configurations (if thats what happened here - as I said, I dont know what youre talking about), if you arent able to fix a simple software problem by looking on the internet, then you probably shouldnt be buying a smartphone in the first place. Smartphones are aimed at people who are fairly comfortable with computers, and want a phone they can play around with. If someone is fairly scared at the thought of having to do fairly basic stuff, they should just get a normal phone.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 00:33   #3
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Then MSN Messenger stopped working. This wasn't good. I re-installed it, no good. Error message 80040111 for those who are interested - basically it was super-laggy and pinged the error back at me as soon as I clicked sign-in.
I can't really describe it much better than that. Essentially MSN was ****ed and it just refused to let me sign in. Re-installing was no good.

What I didn't mention was that the usual reason for this error message is a corrupted DLL file. Of course, this wasn't the problem so the solution was no use. It was only total luck that I found the answer in a blog ranked highly on google.
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 11:10   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Copy the relevant DLL to the webmessenger directory, so that when you install the nokia thing and it's overwritten it'll still run via the directory anyway?

(or something)
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 11:22   #5
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Surely it was obvious what the problem was?

MSN works fine
New Nokia software installed
MSN stops working

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 12:36   #6
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fish
Surely it was obvious what the problem was?

MSN works fine
New Nokia software installed
MSN stops working

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I was going to say the same thing.

It doesn't take a genius to work it out :P

Even doing a simple "System Restore" would fix the problem for you, which is what most people would do I guess if they were that worried.
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 12:38   #7
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Your post doesnt really make it clear what the actual problem was (or whether there was an actual problem), so I'm reluctant to comment, however:

While there's no excuse for companies shipping products with dodgy configurations (if thats what happened here - as I said, I dont know what youre talking about), if you arent able to fix a simple software problem by looking on the internet, then you probably shouldnt be buying a smartphone in the first place. Smartphones are aimed at people who are fairly comfortable with computers, and want a phone they can play around with. If someone is fairly scared at the thought of having to do fairly basic stuff, they should just get a normal phone.
Nokia 6280 isnt a smart phone.
Unread 27 Apr 2006, 17:41   #8
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

i have been exposed to the word nous twice today, and i wasnt happy either time.

my old 6230 is the best phone ive had. this samsung d30 or whatever it is is a bit gash. It has a feature called "sonic wellness" on it which i can only presume is for japanese people or complete morons who dont know what the countryside is. It plays a 20 second loop of soothing lift music and calming lights flash.

Plus i cant use mp3 sounds for text messages, the flash games are twee, the bookmark system on the web is pish, the data cable transfer rate is slow, it doesnt autosave shit to an outbox and you cant make it do so. also you cant set up an email address on it without NASA's help. all in all, **** you samsung.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 11:13   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I love the word "gash".
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 11:16   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Only because it rhymes with other words that may perhaps be of the nature of the damage done by a certain two handed weapon
[I've been indirectly reminded that we have a code of conduct so I'm making things obscure]
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 14:16   #11
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

I didnt seem to have that problem, everything worked a treat. Tis a bloody awesome phone though, no?
Unread 28 Apr 2006, 16:23   #12
furball

Yeah it's really good, I love it.