User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Jan 2006, 10:05   #1
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of
[football] next england manager?

according to betting websites, sam 'big fat sam' allardyce is the favourite to be next england manager. why the **** would we want big fat sam managing us tho? so he can recall a load of 35 year olds and play longball?

hiddink is clearly the best choice, although the red tops might not like another dirty foreigner who talks funny and the notw would be forced to hound him out of the job for the good of the country.

tbh tho, would they be able to convince a repsected foriegn coach to take the job now after the way sge has been constantly hounded by the media? personally, if we are going to be forced to go with an english manager by the spastic press i would plump for curbishly ahead of big fat sam, even stuart pearce would be ahead of him.

who do you want to see?
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 12:32   #2
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [football] next england manager?

big sam uses old players and long ball because he doesnt have any money to spend. and you may have noticed, for a bunch of 35-year-olds hoofing it up the pitch, theyve done remarkably well year after year. sam allardyce is the best english manager in football.

as for sven's successor, i'm leaning toward capello if he's interested.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 12:38   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
big sam uses old players and long ball because he doesnt have any money to spend.
We don't know that until he starts using young players and smooth passing plays. The lack of money could just be a coincidence, he could really like the long ball. Which seems likely, because he's played this way ever since he took over at Bolton and clubs around them in the Premiership play much more attractive football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
and you may have noticed, for a bunch of 35-year-olds hoofing it up the pitch, theyve done remarkably well year after year. sam allardyce is the best english manager in football.
Sam Allardyce is only the best English manager in football because there are no good english managers in football. Steves Bruce and McClaren? God almighty.

Hiddink would definitely be a step forward, and bear in mind that Mick McCarthy has more top level experience than Allardyce, and that the last person we made England manager for bringing a second division club up to the top half of the first division was Graham Taylor. Ponder that, if you will.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 13:12   #4
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Best choice for the job = Martin O'Neill

Ticks all the right boxes, but the issues with his personal life are probably more important to him, so he wont take it.

After that, as a Scotsman i want them to appoint Stuart Pearce, because hes inexperienced and will inevitably do a keegan and fail after a short period.

Realistically, I can see Curbishley , Allardyce or McLaren getting it. Most likely the latter, as his experience as an assistant to Ferguson , and his current coaching within the England setup marks him out as the man who has the necessary high level experience, and the right friends within the FA.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:43   #5
Nondescript Human
nondescript human

Nondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant futureNondescript Human has a brilliant future

I'd definately like to see Hiddink in charge, though as someone mentioned I'd be surprised if he actually wanted it. Allardyce would be a terrible appointment in my opinion, I really can't see him adopting tactics much different form those he uses at Bolton. Plus I hate the way he always has to blame anything or anyone but himself whenever his team loses, it really gets on my nerves.
Nondescript Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:48   #6
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nondescript Human
I'd definately like to see Hiddink in charge, though as someone mentioned I'd be surprised if he actually wanted it. Allardyce would be a terrible appointment in my opinion, I really can't see him adopting tactics much different form those he uses at Bolton. Plus I hate the way he always has to blame anything or anyone but himself whenever his team loses, it really gets on my nerves.
See Wenger / Ferguson / any other top manager who cant accept their team were outplayed.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 14:53   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
See Wenger / Ferguson / any other top manager who cant accept their team were outplayed.
They don't tend to do things like create lists of when the red cards their teams received were given, who they were given by, and read it out on television as proof that there is a conspiracy against your team and that's the only thing stopping them from topping the league.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 15:06   #8
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hiddink is a good choice - He's very tactically aware, gets players to do what he wants and makes sure players get stuck in

Allardyce is a bad choice because he can't handle the media - his spat with Alan Green is downright pathetic (although Greeny ever since people started rating him as a great commentator has become a right wankker)

I don't think Curbishley is up to it.

McLaren is a chequebook manager who is a complete wankker who's only saving grace this season is that the Yak is probably going to save his job.

It's too early for Stuart Pearce, who is doing very well with a pretty poor man city squad - I do think he'd be a good person to have in the England set up though and is certainly someone who could be England manager in the future.

Martin O'Neill would be a good choice simply because all he would have to do is watch football games and attend England training camps/internationals. He can inspire passion in his team and worked wonders with celtic, so he wouldn't be a bad choice.

The best English choice is probably Trevor Brooking with one of the managers above as his assistants, but I doubt it would work.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 15:54   #9
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

The best choice would be someone like Hiddink.

I hope they will hire Souness though
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 15:55   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx
I hope they will hire Souness though :D
Oh god please let it happen :(
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 17:05   #11
MasterAir

MasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura aboutMasterAir has a spectacular aura about

I think Sam has done really well at Bolton.

They don't play the most attractive football in the world, but know how to get results. I'd take a successful england side over one that is pretty to watch anyday.

Not sure whether or not Big Sam knows what to do with a quality player though.

Its a tricky one.

I think Stuart Pearce will be the England manager after next. He's done really good thingss at City.
MasterAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 20:29   #12
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAir
I think Sam has done really well at Bolton.

They don't play the most attractive football in the world, but know how to get results. I'd take a successful england side over one that is pretty to watch anyday.
Sadly, it won't be pretty to watch and wouldn't be successful either.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 20:36   #13
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Souness would be a good choice*

*comedy wise
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 02:28   #14
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

McLaren will get it, i'm willing to take bets on that. He'll inspire middlesborough to a pillow snoozingly awesome 16th place then walk away.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 10:48   #15
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

if i had to choose, i'd go for Ten Cate, currently assistant-coach at Barcelona. he never failed at any club. one of the better coaches in the world imo (better than Hiddink if you ask me), but he doesn't have a big "name" outside Holland.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 11:22   #16
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

It wont be an English manager. All talk lends towards Guus Hiddink and tbh he seems the most qualified in my opinion. HIm or the Portugese National coach Scolari could be in for a shout. Id put a lot of money on it being either of those two... anyone care to take my bet?
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 12:48   #17
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Why? Millions a year for leaving football matches 10 minutes early to beat the rush, sex with an ex model 30 something when you're 60, travel and see the world - and pretty much you cant get more than 5 of your travelling squad of 23 THAT wrong - or 8 of your starting 11 - in most peoples eyes.
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 13:03   #18
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

Im not sure there's many jobs that are high paid and people have such vested intrests in that dont come with these responsibilities. You surely arent feeling sorry for the rich, toccata? I certainly dont.

Everywhere you go, everything you do, you're going to step on somebodies toes. Its the trade off you make, and deserve, for getting (earning is a bad word) far more than you should. You make the choice to sell your soul, the england job is most certainly not forced on you. If you have skeletons, if you value your privacy and your own personal life, dont take it.
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 13:23   #19
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

Its not exactly limited to being manager of England though, is it. Any public figure gets it (look at Simon Hughes, Mark Oaten just for two recent examples). You're preaching to the converted if you're trying to explain to me the press loves villains and heroes - its true.

To be honest though, theres a difference for me between Simon Hughes being pressured into admitting that he's bisexual, and Glenn Hoddle saying disabled people are being punished by god for actions in a past life.

Being a figure in the public eye comes with great responsibility. You take the paycheque, so you take the flak in my eyes.
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 13:37   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
If Alan Shearer became manager one day, they would find some bollocks about him like he once rented a porn video or forgot to buy his wife flowers on her birthday and make it sound like he raped the pope.
Alan Shearer's a bad example, as he's one of the dirtiest players in the Premiership.
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 14:07   #21
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

question.

why are all of England's topclubs coached by foreigners? and why do you all want a foreigner to now get this job too? is there such a huge lack of quality, or is it because there would be less pressure ('press' , heh) on people from abroad?
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2006, 14:16   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
question.

why are all of England's topclubs coached by foreigners? and why do you all want a foreigner to now get this job too? is there such a huge lack of quality, or is it because there would be less pressure ('press' , heh) on people from abroad?
We just don't seem to have any actually good managers at the moment.